Bucky Brooks calls Merriman signing

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a stretch to think he'll play up to this contract but in all honesty, he is young & probably going to play better than most of the guys we have had over the past several years. Not exactly a high mark to hit.

just saw Merriman on Sports Nation with Michele Beadle......one of the polls was "will Shawne Merriman have a bounce back year"?.....shawne said "yes" he would...that he has recovered from a few nagging injuries.

hope he's right

just saw Merriman on Sports Nation with Michele Beadle......one of the polls was "will Shawne Merriman have a bounce back year"?.....shawne said "yes" he would...that he has recovered from a few nagging injuries.

Saw that too...bonus, sexy Michelle Beadle (looking extra fine tonight), a Bills player as guest, and no Colin Cowherd! :thumbsup:

Did you hear Beadles' kudos to Buffalo...must be from her times spent there, with Matthew Barnaby...she said "great food there, put on some L B's, a great place"

He's not saying anything new. Everybody in the league agrees with him except for the people at One Bills Drive and many at Two Bills Drive. It's not my money so the risk is very low!

Judging by how many people on here complain about how much money Kelsay is getting paid, you are in the minority around here with that theory?

I know I have but has anyone else taken notice of all of the television appearances that Shawne Merriman has been making? This is the type of thing that aging athletes do as they try to prepare for a life OFF of the field. Throw in his tweet saying "I think a lot of people forget that this is a "Team" game and success comes in W's not # of sacks" and it seems like he is already making excuses for an expected low sack production.

I could be reading too much in the tea leaves but I'm not liking those signs. At least he is over a few "nagging injuries" that some how resulted in very ordinary play.

Not true - in that scenario its $8.25 million (per Mark Gaughan article).

WOW!!! Are you kidding me? So basically one of the incentives is he plays 2 games and his salary goes up to $8.25 million? I wonder how many impact free agents that could make a "difference" getting? I wonder what all these low risk potentially high reward people think about those new numbers?

I think Merriman would come out on crutches to be on the active roster for 2 games to make an extra $5.75 million. Against all logic I hope he becomes an asset to the team but in reality it's likely he is grabbing all the cash he can before he prepares for a life in broadcasting. Would love to see that money spent to get a Tyson Clabo. If we offer him $1 million more than anyone else and he will come to gloomy Buffalo. Ralph loves to over pay for role players in this case I wouldn't mind him over paying a little for a difference maker that could solidify a position that has been a problem for a while.

Edited by PDaDdy

I know I have but has anyone else taken notice of all of the television appearances that Shawne Merriman has been making? This is the type of thing that aging athletes do as they try to prepare for a life OFF of the field. Throw in his tweet saying "I think a lot of people forget that this is a "Team" game and success comes in W's not # of sacks" and it seems like he is already making excuses for an expected low sack production.

I could be reading too much in the tea leaves but I'm not liking those signs. At least he is over a few "nagging injuries" that some how resulted in very ordinary play.

WOW!!! Are you kidding me? So basically one of the incentives is he plays 2 games and his salary goes up to $8.25 million? I wonder how many impact free agents that could make a "difference" getting? I wonder what all these low risk potentially high reward people think about those new numbers?

I think Merriman would come out on crutches to be on the active roster for 2 games to make an extra $5.75 million. Against all logic I hope he becomes an asset to the team but in reality it's likely he is grabbing all the cash he can before he prepares for a life in broadcasting. Would love to see that money spent to get a Tyson Clabo. If we offer him $1 million more than anyone he will come to gloomy Buffalo. Ralph loves to over pay for role players in this case I wouldn't mind him over paying a little for a difference maker that could solidify a position that has been a problem for a while.

Really man? Someone posts a random number and you just run with it.

Here is the actual article;

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2011/01/merriman-gets-good-guarantee.html

remembering that NFL contracts are not guaranteed and if Merriman is still banged up in 2011 and doesn't get on the field the Bills can cut him after 2011.

My Math adds up to this for 2011:

2011 Base = 2.75M (Not Guaranteed)

2010+2011 Bonus = 1M (1.5M bonus amortized over 3 years)

Reporting Bonus = .5M

"workout" Bonus = .5M

Then if he is cut after 2011 season

2012 Bonus hit = .5M

So Basically if he is on the regular season roster and doesn't play at all in 2011 he will cost the Bills 5.25M.

If he get on the field in 2011, and meets the "2010 injury clause" requirements, he will get an extra 3M in 2012.

That's where the 8.25M number over TWO years comes from.

If he can't make it through Pre Season and gets cut in August he costs the Bills 2.5M.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Saw that too...bonus, sexy Michelle Beadle (looking extra fine tonight), a Bills player as guest, and no Colin Cowherd! :thumbsup:

Did you hear Beadles' kudos to Buffalo...must be from her times spent there, with Matthew Barnaby...she said "great food there, put on some L B's, a great place"

she's a good looking woman...not a knockout....but what makes her so appealing is her great personality....she is very talented and a rising star at espn.

Is it generally accepted that Buddy Nix is a decent personnel evaluator? If so, does anyone really think he would have re-signed Merriman without doing his homework on the rehab? Has Nix shown the propensity to waste millions?

This is anything but a "sure" thing, but folks like PDaDdy pissing and moaning about how this means the Bills can't sign anyone else, or "reporters" like Brooks calling it desperation, is absolutely ridiculous.

Really man? Someone posts a random number and you just run with it.

Here is the actual article;

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2011/01/merriman-gets-good-guarantee.html

remembering that NFL contracts are not guaranteed and if Merriman is still banged up in 2011 and doesn't get on the field the Bills can cut him after 2011.

My Math adds up to this for 2011:

2011 Base = 2.75M (Not Guaranteed)

2010+2011 Bonus = 1M (1.5M bonus amortized over 3 years)

Reporting Bonus = .5M

"workout" Bonus = .5M

Then if he is cut after 2011 season

2012 Bonus hit = .5M

So Basically if he is on the regular season roster and doesn't play at all in 2011 he will cost the Bills 5.25M.

If he get on the field in 2011, and meets the "2010 injury clause" requirements, he will get an extra 3M in 2012.

That's where the 8.25M number over TWO years comes from.

If he can't make it through Pre Season and gets cut in August he costs the Bills 2.5M.

So the random $8.25 million number the other poster put up and the $8.25 million number that you calculated in the scenario where he stays on the roster being the same is random? Sounds like I ran with an accurate number...that is unless your calculations are wrong. ;)

Is it generally accepted that Buddy Nix is a decent personnel evaluator? If so, does anyone really think he would have re-signed Merriman without doing his homework on the rehab? Has Nix shown the propensity to waste millions?

This is anything but a "sure" thing, but folks like PDaDdy pissing and moaning about how this means the Bills can't sign anyone else, or "reporters" like Brooks calling it desperation, is absolutely ridiculous.

What is absolutely ridiculous is that you don't see the risk and that this could be a significant, not huge, waste of resources. I like the job Buddy is doing so far but isn't it possible that a persons business decisions could be impacted by a personal relationship and familiarity with the player?

Players are often the last to know they can't play anymore. Is it possible that Merriman still thinks he has gas in the tank, is telling Buddy as much and Buddy is taking his word for it because of their history? Not saying this IS the case but it could be a factor. Is that so hard to theorize?

Buddy is not going to give him a few million dollar pension plan courtesy of the Bills. If Merriman is just that broken he will be cut. I have no doubt of that. Hopefully Merriman ends up being an asset to the team and a pass rusher who contributes to the sack total not just a PR move that doesn't produce on the field.

Edited by PDaDdy

What is absolutely ridiculous is that you don't see the risk and that this could be a significant, not huge, waste of resources. I like the job Buddy is doing so far but isn't it possible that a persons business decisions could be impacted by a personal relationship and familiarity with the player?

Players are often the last to know they can't play anymore. Is it possible that Merriman still thinks he has gas in the tank, is telling Buddy as much and Buddy is taking his word for it because of their history? Not saying this IS the case but it could be a factor. Is that so hard to theorize?

I certainly think the personal relationship between Buddy and Shawne played a role in this, but Buddy's job isn't to give away Ralph's money to a washed-up player simply because he once drafted him. If anything, Buddy could look Merriman in the eye and say, "don't bull-stojan me...can you still play?"

You seem to lack what I deem to be a pretty basic understanding that this is a crap shoot -- but a calculated one with little risk and big potential upside. Again, what makes you think Merriman's contract precludes the Bills from signing a FA they want? They're not over the cap or anywhere close to it.

link

I'm not sure that $2.5M is a desperate act, much less than they've thrown at some less than stellar o-linemen.

virtually all FA singing are a sign of desperation because- they guy you drafted a couple of years ago didn't pan out, or someone left via free agency and you in a bit of a panic to fill the hole. I applaud the Bills for rolling the expensive dice - it's something we needed to do

BUCKY IS ,WAS, AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE A PUNK.. HE WAS A LOUSY NFL PLAYER AND HIS MEDIA CAREER IS DONE WITH THE SAME QUALITY AS HIS PLAYING WAS .THE COMMENTS HE MAKES AS SIMPLY PARROTED FROM MANY OTHERS THAT ARE AS IGNORANT IN CONTENT AS HIS..

I certainly think the personal relationship between Buddy and Shawne played a role in this, but Buddy's job isn't to give away Ralph's money to a washed-up player simply because he once drafted him. If anything, Buddy could look Merriman in the eye and say, "don't bull-stojan me...can you still play?"

You seem to lack what I deem to be a pretty basic understanding that this is a crap shoot -- but a calculated one with little risk and big potential upside. Again, what makes you think Merriman's contract precludes the Bills from signing a FA they want? They're not over the cap or anywhere close to it.

No I understand exactly what a crap shoot is. Sort of like buying lottery tickets as a retirement plan. Instead of investing in a high risk stock why not put your money in a nice effective predictable plan for success IE getting solid well above average free agents?

What makes me think that Meriiman's contract precludes us from signing a FA, specifically an impact or probowl FA? Quite simply the salary cap. We can only spend so much money according to league rules. Look it up sometime. I have only stated and maintained all along that the money we are likely wasting on Merriman, in this crap shoot as you call it, could make the difference between getting a player that is not a gamble and would be as much of a guaranteed plug and play upgrade as you can get.

Valid points. By the way, I read an article where the Giants may pursue Puz. Let's see. A superbowl winning and successful franchise near NYC or Buffalo? Add MLB to the Bills long list of needs.

:lol:

Don't worry about Puz. He's from Pittsburgh, and that is MUCH closer to Buffalo than NYC. He is not lured by big cities such as NYC. He also went to Penn State, and his hero is Shane Conlon, which is why he wore his number at PSU. He's not going anywhere, esp. not the Giants.

If Merriman ends up earning all this "wasted" money he will have been better than ANY free agent set to hit the open market AND he will have been a steal at 9.25 over two years.

In the meantime, the money he's already earned has NO bearing on the Bills' ability to sign or not sign ANY other free agent out there.

You need to accept that reality and move on from this crusade you seem to have undertaken.

GO BILLS!!!

All I hear with Merriman is "IF" and "crap shoot". I hope the guy produces on the field as well but I have to look at his last 3 years of nothing since getting hurt and getting off the juice. You make a very factual but unlikely statement, "If Merriman ends up earning all this "wasted" money". His numbers would have to be there to make all of those incentives. It's like saying if you score the most points you win the game. You're not really saying anything.

Nobody here, PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, has put any sort of likelihood on his return to form. Here is your chance. Shoot down my crusade and tell me what you think will happen with him. Give us all a wild guess of the percentage chance that he will return to form. 5%? 10%? 30% .......riiiiiiiight....thought so.

Edited by PDaDdy