Anybody watching women's world cup?

Japan deserves it.

It sucks because I got wrapped up in this thing and wanted it for the USA bad, but that's how it goes I guess.

I have to say it was an awesome tournament. Pound for pound, more entertaining soccer than what I witnessed last year from the men's WC.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed, very entertaining tournament from what I saw. Rapinoe's play and feistiness, Morgan's unquestioned hotness and talent, Wambach's scoring skills, and the overall play of our ladies will have me paying more attention to womens soccer for now on.

i didn't watch the game today as my son & I were tooling around manhattan doing touristy things. But i walked by a pub near times square where it was obvious that the game had just ended. There was a group of oriental people(later to find out they were Japanese fans) in soccer jerseys standing outside and they were evidently very happy. There was also a steady and rather large stream of apparently american soccer fans coming out of the pub. The American fans were high-fiving and congratulating this ecsatic group of japanese fans, and it just kept going....I was actually very cool to see...losing is never good, but I think Japan winning this had a little more of an emotional edge to it and everyone appreciated it.

Congrats to the Japanese squad.

Remember they are the 4th ranked Women's team so this

was NOT an epic upset. I thought I heard Tony DiCicco

say this was on the order of the US hockey win over the

Russians in 1980 at Lake Placcid. This win by Japan

was nnot on that level.

I gotta say that PKs are quite possibly the worst way to end any game in any sport.

Yep. The order of tiebreak methods is serious :censored: ed.

Play the two 15-minute periods of extended matchplay. Then go to a 30-minute Golden Goal. And only then should they go to PKs.

I really don't get why the Golden Goal has gotten the cold shoulder. Sepp Blatter and FIFA would rather have the biggest games decided by discrete 50/50 odds of a goalkeeper diving in the right direction than actual team play.

Congrats to the Japanese squad.

Remember they are the 4th ranked Women's team so this

was NOT an epic upset. I thought I heard Tony DiCicco

say this was on the order of the US hockey win over the

Russians in 1980 at Lake Placcid. This win by Japan

was nnot on that level.

Not to mention that the U.S. was the last team to qualify for the tournament. Just like Japan, they got where they did by grit, determination and teamwork... not because they had special talent.

Play the two 15-minute periods of extended matchplay. Then go to a 30-minute Golden Goal. And only then should they go to PKs.

I agree about the Golden Goal. They should bring it back.

But that's too much extra time. You can’t expect players to hold up for that long. As it is 120 minutes is insane. If you stretch it to 150, you’re gonna have players puking and passing out. If you had a team forced to go that distance in the quarters and semis, they would be completely shot for the final. Especially in hot conditions.

This is a heart breaker but we all have to be proud the team made it this far.

I don't think any of us thought the team would get this far when the cup started.

The US women are the #1 team in the world and have been #1 or #2 since forming.

I thought they'd get this far.

I just had a though about PK strategy. Since you know the goalie will dive left or right why not kick it right down the middle?

PTR

Some do but if you noticed the way Solo plays, she would snag those. She commits late to the side and would save any middle shot. Shooting for the middle is a tough strategy.

The US PKs were an abomination. I hate PKs deciding a game as much as the next person but all 3 misses were terrible shots and even the first one the keeper really didn't need to make much of a save.

The US beat themselves. The corner goal was awful--Smurfs should not score on corners. the other goal was a mess too. If the defenders would have neither struck the ball, it's no goal or at least Solo isn't completely off balance from the pinballing. And they could not sinish for crap.

The US played dominant but made a lot of mistakes. Japan was not dominant but made few mistakes.

Edited by Peace

Exactly, they could be Asian Asian, you have no way of knowing.

Yep. One kind of wants to avoid a situation like CNN's descriptor of "African-American" youths who were protesting black/minority employment levels in France a few years ago. :doh:

Edited by UConn James