Syracuse motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law

bbb

I actually agree with the guy....how much of a difference is a tin can on top of your head gunna make when your body is flying uncontollable through the air at 55 mph....it should be the choice of the cyclist...some of these helmeta are nothing more than tin,cans

I don't ride anymore, but when I did it was always with a helmet. It doesn't take much of a knock on the skull to get a concussion or a subdural hematoma.

Suit yourself, but I've known many riders that wouldn't risk the injury they could get while riding without one.

OTOH, one of the most ridiculous laws ever proposed was the motorcycle seatbelt law. Obviously drawn up by some do-gooder fuss budget who never rode. The last thing you want to do be be dragged by the waist with your ride grinding you into the pavement and in all likelihood tumbling over and over. Trust me on that one. You want to slide away from the bike if (when) you drop it. Your chances of surviving with little damage other than pavement rash are greatly improved by getting away from the bike and sliding on your own.

I actually agree with the guy....how much of a difference is a tin can on top of your head gunna make when your body is flying uncontollable through the air at 55 mph....it should be the choice of the cyclist...some of these helmeta are nothing more than tin,cans

They shouldn't be tin cans......And, it might not help in your scenario, but I bet it helps in crashes at lower speeds, etc.

I don't ride anymore, but when I did it was always with a helmet. It doesn't take much of a knock on the skull to get a concussion or a subdural hematoma.

Suit yourself, but I've known many riders that wouldn't risk the injury they could get while riding without one.

OTOH, one of the most ridiculous laws ever proposed was the motorcycle seatbelt law. Obviously drawn up by some do-gooder fuss budget who never rode. The last thing you want to do be be dragged by the waist with your ride grinding you into the pavement and in all likelihood tumbling over and over. Trust me on that one. You want to slide away from the bike if (when) you drop it. Your chances of surviving with little damage other than pavement rash are greatly improved by getting away from the bike and sliding on your own.

Seriously? :wallbash:

I just reread the article. He wasn't going 55, he was 55. And, this:

"Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet."

The body can take a lot of damage, the brain not so much. Those "tin cans" make a huge difference. I wouldn't ride without a helmet, but I also don't like laws that mandate personal safety. If people don't think they need to protect themselves, more power to them.

I support a person's right to choose. However if you do choose not to wear one, don't expect someone else to pickup the tab for your medical costs related to it.

or the tab from the increased insurance rates after that person's family has to cash in.

or the tab from the family-left-behind having to go on Public Assistance because "Daddy wanted to feel the wind in his hair"...

I think that when you go to take your Motorcycle Road Test, they should ask you which way you plan on riding. You're free to choose whichever you want.

If you check the box for "Wear a helmet", you get the normal road course.

If you check the box for "NOT wear a helmet", your course is a short road that goes directly off a 100ft cliff. Just get it over with right away.

Edited by DrDareustein

I support a person's right to choose. However if you do choose not to wear one, don't expect someone else to pickup the tab for your medical costs related to it.

I would disagree simply because the macho types exert so much peer pressure on people that generally reasonably people are persuaded into doing dumb things. Helmet laws are just a good idea

I would disagree simply because the macho types exert so much peer pressure on people that generally reasonably people are persuaded into doing dumb things. Helmet laws are just a good idea.

How about some personal responsibility? It's all "he/she/it/God made me do it." :rolleyes:

Perhaps we should legislate ALL behavior?

so, grammar police is this irony?

Thank you! YES!! I was gonna reply to Kiwi's post, but I like your's better.

There just isn't enough irony in the news these days. I love this story. Gotta be a finalist for this years Darwin Awards.

No sympathy here.