Syracuse motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law

bbb

I always wear a helmet when I ride, and a seatbelt when I drive. And goes back way before either was mandated by law. In fact, some cars didn't have seatbelts - or if they did, I had to dig them out of the seat because no one else used them.

But, I am against the laws. I have no problem with people dying because they made that choice. I would be sad and a little pissed at them if it was a family member, but life's tough.

I went by this accident on Route 5 Thursday night. First about half an hour after the accident. I figured nobody got killed because the motorcyle was intact and standing up........When I went by it going the other way about 40 minutes later and all the emergency vehicles were still there, and police photographers were taking pictures, then I thought this is not good.

I am really POd at the state who is doing repairs to the bridge over 18 Mile Creek. There is a dip in the road, so blindly, you have to merge two into one lane all of a sudden. I don't know if that chaos contributed to this. This is in the valley that makes it a blind thing, but a few hundred feet or so before the merge really happens in earnest.

Anyway, what I find alarming for cyclists is that this was not a head on. The car was turning, and therefore going slow. And, I think the bike had to going pretty slow with the upcoming merge......And, the fact that that the motorcycle didn't look smashed at all. It was standing on it's kickstands.

My theory is that he must have went flying and hit his head. Per the above post, maybe this would have been one of the occasions a seatbelt would have really helped. Doesn't say if he was wearing a helmet.........Man, there is just zero margin of error on those things:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/hamburg/article482934.ece