RT Talk:

Who do you like at RT? I have them in my order of preference, and rated chance of playing RT for the Bills:

Hairston is huge (6’6 ¼” and 326 pounds), raw (needs to work on quickness out of stance) and will need help this season, particularly early without mini-camps. Likely the backup this season to Pears. Chance of playing RT before end of season: 25%. Chance of 1st-string this year: 10%.

Pears is the coaches' favorite at this point. He had positive grades from Pro Football Focus in the New England and Jets games in Week 16 & 17. HE rotated in for Wrotto late in the NEP game. No negative games so far. Long arms like Hairston. Chance of Pears being our RT: 85% Chance.

Gaither wants to play left tackle, and the Raiders (with Asomugha freed-up money)would let him do that. Jah Reid would be the only guy in Oakland against that plan. DNP in 2010, but had 7 positive weeks in 2009, 0 negative. I don't see the Bills paying for Gaither. 0% Chance.

Doug Free probably the class of free agent RT's, will likely be re-signed by the Cowboys, and might involve a costly bidding war. He was 2nd in consideration for the franchise tag. He had 9 positive games and only 2 negative (both pass blocking). 5% Chance.

Tyson Clabo is a blue-collar Falcon who went undrafted, then worked his a$$ off and went to the Pro Bowl. The Falcons are ready to redo their line [ article]. He got positive grades in 9 games this year, with negative grades in run-blocking accounting for 3 negative weeks, and one negative week in pass-blocking. But...Four of his last five games were negative. 15% Chance.

Ryan Harris is likely gone from the Broncos, had 2 toe injuries and had an ankle injury last year. His performance over 3 years has been 50-50 on Pro Football Focus (4 pos-4 neg in 2008, 2 pos-2 neg in 2009, 3 pos. 3 neg in 2010). He's a decent pass blocker. He's available, young, and has experience and skills. 10% Chance.

Colon is for all intents and purposes still an injured player, and we have 2 healthy RT's on our squad. 0% Chance.

Trueblood is likely to be had cheaper than most above. 67 straight games played is #2 on the Bucs. Five negative games to 2 positive. Pass-blocking is inconsistent; better as a run-blocker. Very close with Davin Joseph--the 2 have been consistently on the right side for 5 years--package deal? LOL. Huge man. 10% Chance.

Alex Barron - A #1 pick by the Rams, I believe. Played RT b/c Orlando Pace was the LT. Slid over to LT for one year when Pace was injured. Raw talent, but missed blocks and false starts galore. Better at pass protection drops and finesse play than mauler, run-type blocking. In 2009, 8 neg and 3 pos. 0% Chance.

Ryan O’Callaghan - 7 neg, 2 pos this year. NEP cut him, then he played for Chiefs. Injured, and a swing tackle took his place. Chiefs may not pick him up. 5% Chance.

Khalif Barnes - The Raiders coaches evidently liked Barnes more as a backup for Henderson at LT more then they did as a starting option at RT when Cornell Green left. Insiders say Barnes resisted the shift. 3 negative, 2 positive this year. Released by the Jags for an "incident" with the police on a DUI charge. 0% Chance.

Bushrod - is the blindside protector for Drew Brees. He played well enough for them to trade Jammal Brown, to the Skins. But he had 10 negative games this year, 2 positive. I honestly think we have better RT's than him already on the team, but...The appeal is obvious: Bushrod-Levitre-Wood. Not reason enough to sign, though. That does elevate The 'Rod to a 5% Chance on the Astro-Meter.

Edited by Astrobot

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bushrod - is the blindside protector for Drew Brees. He played well enough for them to trade Jammal Brown, to the Skins. But he had 10 negative games this year, 2 positive. I honestly think we have better RT's than him already on the team, but...The appeal is obvious: Bushrod-Levitre-Wood. Not reason enough to sign, though. That does elevate The 'Rod to a 5% Chance on the Astro-Meter.

Nice write-up, AB. Good chuckle, too.

Barring injury, I think RT will be at least adequate this year.

Of course I hold out hope for better than average. We shall see.

One of the keys to this choice is going to be chemistry and how well the OL plays as a unit rather than demographics like the size of a player or his tactics for doing well in a particular technique or skillset (such as a rep as a good handfighter). I'd rather have a player with less skills who is on the same page as the other Bills than have a player with better skills or more size but does not work as well with his fellow Bills.

The Bills have spent too much of the last decade drafting skill positions and defensive backs, and the castoffs they put on the OL are small and weak.

(whoa, sorry about that -- I was channeling Bill from NYC there for a second)

Just a note on Trueblood and the Buccs...Davin Joseph is the #1 priority for the Buccs to re-sign this offseason, before Barret Ruud. He's not going anywhere. They'll probably let Ruud walk and Treublood walk, however they are way under the projected cap, so those thoughts may change with them having to get to the 90% level.

As for Trueblood himself, kid's a solid blocker, but get used to the old Rueben Brown days with the weekly holding penalty. I believe he's been one of the most penalized OTs in the NFL each of the past 2 seasons.

The Bills have spent too much of the last decade drafting skill positions and defensive backs, and the castoffs they put on the OL are small and weak.

(whoa, sorry about that -- I was channeling Bill from NYC there for a second)

THE BODY OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!!! :lol:

Although, it would be hard to argue against what you (or Bill...i guess...) said.

Who do you like at RT? I have them in my order of preference, and rated chance of playing RT for the Bills:

Hairston is huge (6’6 ¼” and 326 pounds), raw (needs to work on quickness out of stance) and will need help this season, particularly early without mini-camps. Likely the backup this season to Pears. Chance of playing RT before end of season: 25%. Chance of 1st-string this year: 10%.

Pears is the coaches' favorite at this point. He had positive grades from Pro Football Focus in the New England and Jets games in Week 16 & 17. HE rotated in for Wrotto late in the NEP game. No negative games so far. Long arms like Hairston. Chance of Pears being our RT: 85% Chance.

Gaither wants to play left tackle, and the Raiders (with Asomugha freed-up money)would let him do that. Jah Reid would be the only guy in Oakland against that plan. DNP in 2010, but had 7 positive weeks in 2009, 0 negative. I don't see the Bills paying for Gaither. 0% Chance.

Doug Free probably the class of free agent RT's, will likely be re-signed by the Cowboys, and might involve a costly bidding war. He was 2nd in consideration for the franchise tag. He had 9 positive games and only 2 negative (both pass blocking). 5% Chance.

Tyson Clabo is a blue-collar Falcon who went undrafted, then worked his a$$ off and went to the Pro Bowl. The Falcons are ready to redo their line [ article]. He got positive grades in 9 games this year, with negative grades in run-blocking accounting for 3 negative weeks, and one negative week in pass-blocking. But...Four of his last five games were negative. 15% Chance.

Ryan Harris is likely gone from the Broncos, had 2 toe injuries and had an ankle injury last year. His performance over 3 years has been 50-50 on Pro Football Focus (4 pos-4 neg in 2008, 2 pos-2 neg in 2009, 3 pos. 3 neg in 2010). He's a decent pass blocker. He's available, young, and has experience and skills. 10% Chance.

Colon is for all intents and purposes still an injured player, and we have 2 healthy RT's on our squad. 0% Chance.

Trueblood is likely to be had cheaper than most above. 67 straight games played is #2 on the Bucs. Five negative games to 2 positive. Pass-blocking is inconsistent; better as a run-blocker. Very close with Davin Joseph--the 2 have been consistently on the right side for 5 years--package deal? LOL. Huge man. 10% Chance.

Alex Barron - A #1 pick by the Rams, I believe. Played RT b/c Orlando Pace was the LT. Slid over to LT for one year when Pace was injured. Raw talent, but missed blocks and false starts galore. Better at pass protection drops and finesse play than mauler, run-type blocking. In 2009, 8 neg and 3 pos. 0% Chance.

Ryan O’Callaghan - 7 neg, 2 pos this year. NEP cut him, then he played for Chiefs. Injured, and a swing tackle took his place. Chiefs may not pick him up. 5% Chance.

Khalif Barnes - The Raiders coaches evidently liked Barnes more as a backup for Henderson at LT more then they did as a starting option at RT when Cornell Green left. Insiders say Barnes resisted the shift. 3 negative, 2 positive this year. Released by the Jags for an "incident" with the police on a DUI charge. 0% Chance.

The people in charge really do seem to like Pears and frankly we haven't seen enough of him to make the decision this board enjoys making that he is a cast-off that sucks. The Labor situation has really messed with Hairston who has an awful lot of upside but as a rookie needs time to understand the pro system before really showing his potential.

Not sure what's up with Wang but if he has recovered and done some off-season work then it is possible that the Bills don't invest their free agent $$$ on a RT. I think that Clabo's price will be inflated and beyond what the Bills would pay with the rest of the cast-offs not giving me a better feeling than what we have.

Getting an OL to work really does involve chemisty and time. Bell keeps getting better with time and recovery from his injuries, Levitre has improved as he has learned the game, Wood's amazing recovery from 'that injury' has shown the benefits of time too, and the question that is left has to do with Pears/Hairston and C/RG.

I'm no mathematician, but shouldn't all of those percentages total 100%?

There's an outside chance the Bills will sign more than one, so over 100% is okay. (...of course there's a chance they won't sign any of them too....)

I'm no mathematician, but shouldn't all of those percentages total 100%?

with the way the bills go through offensive lineman in the last few years, chances are probable that if you are on the team, you will get a start. So to put it this way, let's say Pears is the week one starter his chance would be 100%, now the chance of him breaking or failing is, say, 55%. That would mean that his backup has a 55% chance of starting as well. So that would be 155% for just those two.

The fact that Astro's numbers were so high at this point of the year signifies the variability of options at the Bills disposal.

with the way the bills go through offensive lineman in the last few years, chances are probable that if you are on the team, you will get a start. So to put it this way, let's say Pears is the week one starter his chance would be 100%, now the chance of him breaking or failing is, say, 55%. That would mean that his backup has a 55% chance of starting as well. So that would be 155% for just those two.

The fact that Astro's numbers were so high at this point of the year signifies the variability of options at the Bills disposal.

On the other hand, the OP actually appears to be saying these percentages are the chance XXX "is the answer at RT" (for all but Hairston, who gets two percentages under arbitrary other criteria). Unless the Bills are planning to use an offensive formation that uses more than 1 RT for the season (a 345.23% chance of being sort of like the 11 Steve Taskers offense), then "the answer" should really mean the one cat that wins the RT job outright, so having a set of probabilities that come out to more than 1 would be a fundamental error. :)

Just a note on Trueblood and the Buccs...Davin Joseph is the #1 priority for the Buccs to re-sign this offseason, before Barret Ruud. He's not going anywhere. They'll probably let Ruud walk and Treublood walk, however they are way under the projected cap, so those thoughts may change with them having to get to the 90% level.

As for Trueblood himself, kid's a solid blocker, but get used to the old Rueben Brown days with the weekly holding penalty. I believe he's been one of the most penalized OTs in the NFL each of the past 2 seasons.

Good info, thanks a lot. I have talked to Buc Fans who like Trueblood a lot. I would be absolutely thrilled if they sign him, even if it takes huge dollars.

Throw in Kevin Boss and they would account for a couple of wins imo.

I am not at all confident in our OL's right side and that is being kind to Bell. Even if Wrotto, Pears and Urbik are healthy, it is little cause for optimism. We cannot expect better results with the same cast of characters with the prayer that one year's experience will make a world of difference. One can only hope that one of those reliable FAs on your list is acquired by the Bills.

All of the above is hope only and that is not a strategy. Best to go into the season with a realistic viewpoint and not set ourselves up for disappointment.

I am not at all confident in our OL's right side and that is being kind to Bell. Even if Wrotto, Pears and Urbik are healthy, it is little cause for optimism. We cannot expect better results with the same cast of characters with the prayer that one year's experience will make a world of difference. One can only hope that one of those reliable FAs on your list is acquired by the Bills.

All of the above is hope only and that is not a strategy. Best to go into the season with a realistic viewpoint and not set ourselves up for disappointment.

Actually since Urbik and Pears were not there for the whole year so you COULD hope for better results.....

Personally...I think Hairston is gonna be a player...would still like to see Clabo on the line.

Actually since Urbik and Pears were not there for the whole year so you COULD hope for better results.....

Personally...I think Hairston is gonna be a player...would still like to see Clabo on the line.

To go one step further...I don't understand why anyone would believe a young player won't improve with experience and coaching. The post to which you responded doesn't make sense to me. It's one thing if we're talking about 4-5 year veterans who haven't proven anything; it's quite another if these are first and second year players still growing into their jobs.