RT Talk:

I'm not going to start a whole new post; I'll just hijack my own post...

Did the Bills play a Man Blocking Scheme (MBS) last year and intend to play an MBS this year? I'm especially interested because we're going to do something with each team's answer at DraftTek this year.

Or is it more hybrid? Zone Blocking Scheme (ZBS)? a combination of schemes? Or, is it a more exotic scheme?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the Bills play a Man Blocking Scheme (MBS) last year and intend to play an MBS this year? I'm especially interested because we're going to do something with each team's answer at DraftTek this year.

Or is it more hybrid? Zone Blocking Scheme (ZBS)? a combination of schemes? Or, is it a more exotic scheme?

Scheme or no scheme, the line was overall was small, weak, and not particularly quick. They were helped a great deal by having a very mobile qb.

Trueblood is a big angry monster. He is what the Bills need.

Jmo.

To go one step further...I don't understand why anyone would believe a young player won't improve with experience and coaching. The post to which you responded doesn't make sense to me. It's one thing if we're talking about 4-5 year veterans who haven't proven anything; it's quite another if these are first and second year players still growing into their jobs.

Pears just turned 29. When he was with Oakland in 2009, he couldn't beat out our 2 previous RT's (Langston Walker and Cornell Green.). He's been in the league since 2005. He couldn't win a back up job in Jacksonville last year.

Wrotto was drafted in 2007. He was with Seattle for 3 years before being cut last year.

These are veteran players that are being discussed.

Scheme or no scheme, the line was overall was small, weak, and not particularly quick. They were helped a great deal by having a very mobile qb.

Trueblood is a big angry monster. He is what the Bills need.

Jmo.

The line started off pretty bad but got better as the season went on. Wood and Bell were coming off injury and had no off-season strength training and replacing Green with Howard also improved the line, IMO this will be the best OL we've come into the season with in a long time (which isn't saying much) I'd agree that RT is the biggest unknown and one of the positions I'd most like to pick-up a quality FA the other being TE where a quality all around player would help the Bills immensely.

Pears just turned 29. When he was with Oakland in 2009, he couldn't beat out our 2 previous RT's (Langston Walker and Cornell Green.). He's been in the league since 2005. He couldn't win a back up job in Jacksonville last year.

Wrotto was drafted in 2007. He was with Seattle for 3 years before being cut last year.

Thanx for replying to eball's question. I, for one, am worn with these pre-season rosy outlooks that so-and-so will be better with (a) different coaches, (b) one more year experience © different scheme (d) rosy predictions ad nauseum ....

I would like to see someone with (good) experience brought in. If one of our existing players indeed blossoms and plays well, then we have a good problem. But, no way we go into next season with high hopes from the same players.

Thanx for replying to eball's question. I, for one, am worn with these pre-season rosy outlooks that so-and-so will be better with (a) different coaches, (b) one more year experience © different scheme (d) rosy predictions ad nauseum ....

I would like to see someone with (good) experience brought in. If one of our existing players indeed blossoms and plays well, then we have a good problem. But, no way we go into next season with high hopes from the same players.

last year, the same talk was made about Jamon Meredith and Ed Wang. You can replace the names and the comments remain the same, year in and year out.

I don't have a problem with bringing in other team's cast off's or low round draft choices. I agree, if you happen to hit on one... great. But the Bills bring these guys in an pencil them in immediately as starters.

I can't think of a team that has consistently placed such a low priority on the O-line, for so long, as the Bills have.

Thanks for the response; good info on Wrotto and Pears. Urbik is only a 3rd year guy, however.

I, for one, haven't seen any posts claiming so-and-so WILL be better. I see nothing wrong with suggesting that young players MAY be better, however, with additional experience and coaching. Not everyone is a stud within their first three years in the league.

I certainly haven't seen ANYONE suggest they wouldn't like to see the Bills bring in someone with (good) experience.

Would love to see them make a play for Trueblood or Clabo I also think they could make a play at Harris but that doesn't mean I want him.

I do like that Buddy worked at this during the season and the way he did it. I also love that they drafted a big guy who is raw, to develop. I doubt that will not make a play with someone. The TE position needs some work too, I am really hoping they do it in FA.

On the Eric Wood BB.com video they appeared to use both zone and man concepts depending on the play. My assumption is that most teams are like this.

Thanks for the response; good info on Wrotto and Pears. Urbik is only a 3rd year guy, however.

Urbik is a bit like Meredith. Drafted realtively high (I think they were both 3rd rounders). But both were cut early in their careers by teams who needed OL at the time. (Urbik by the Steelers, Meredith by the Packers). Both teams subsequently drafted OL high after they were cut. You have to wonder why a team with a need cuts a relatively high draft choice early in their careers.

It will be great if he works out, but I'm not betting the ranch on it.

There are several things that come into play here, on the OL situation. Unless Hangman moves to guard, or one of these guys somehow shows more than they have...we need a RG also. Moving him to guard makes the most sense to me.

But...Bell didn't give up a lot of sacks, but he needs help. Whoever is going to be a RT is going to need help. When both sides need help, you're really constricting your offense, due to the number of people who end up staying in.

If they need help on a running play, you are taking away a guy who would otherwise be taking on someone at the 2nd level.

Kevin Boothe

'played in 49 regular season games with 16 starts and in 5 postseason games...has seen action at both guard positions and right tackle...after being activated from PUP list (torn pec) on Nov 9 was part of an offensive line unit that went five games without giving up a sack...head coach Tom Coughlin said that Boothe can play anywhere on the offensive line, and can also line up as the extra tight end in the team's jumbo package.'

Reverse the Curse!!!! B-)

post-2970-065788000 1309293892_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

I, for one, haven't seen any posts claiming so-and-so WILL be better. I see nothing wrong with suggesting that young players MAY be better, however, with additional experience and coaching. Not everyone is a stud within their first three years in the league.

I certainly haven't seen ANYONE suggest they wouldn't like to see the Bills bring in someone with (good) experience.

Perhaps I am not making my point clearly. I am not saying that expecting young players to get better is a wrong thing. What I am saying is that our expectations about our OL play needs to be tempered till we have seen proof that they are better. For far too many years, expectations have been high for off-season changes (Fairchild comes from a good offensive system, Trent is ideally suited to run the no huddle offense, Maybin will improve and emerge in his second year, we will be fine without Jason Peters, ......). All I am saying is that if we are going into the season with no significant FA additions on the OL, the possibility of an ineffective running game and poor pass protections should be expected unless proven otherwise.

Perhaps I am not making my point clearly. I am not saying that expecting young players to get better is a wrong thing. What I am saying is that our expectations about our OL play needs to be tempered till we have seen proof that they are better. For far too many years, expectations have been high for off-season changes (Fairchild comes from a good offensive system, Trent is ideally suited to run the no huddle offense, Maybin will improve and emerge in his second year, we will be fine without Jason Peters, ......). All I am saying is that if we are going into the season with no significant FA additions on the OL, the possibility of an ineffective running game and poor pass protections should be expected unless proven otherwise.

I understand and agree with you, FiC. At least this off season I haven't heard anyone going on and on about how we'll be better due to "addition by subtraction" (like we heard when replacing Jauron, Peters, Fletcher etc.).

Urbik is a bit like Meredith. Drafted realtively high (I think they were both 3rd rounders). But both were cut early in their careers by teams who needed OL at the time. (Urbik by the Steelers, Meredith by the Packers). Both teams subsequently drafted OL high after they were cut. You have to wonder why a team with a need cuts a relatively high draft choice early in their careers.

Not that it's important to you point, but Meredith was a late 5th round pick.

Not that it's important to you point, but Meredith was a late 5th round pick.

Yes for the sake of accuracy, Urbik was selected at #79. Meredith was selected at #162.

But...Bell didn't give up a lot of sacks, but he needs help. Whoever is going to be a RT is going to need help. When both sides need help, you're really constricting your offense, due to the number of people who end up staying in.

If they need help on a running play, you are taking away a guy who would otherwise be taking on someone at the 2nd level.

<channeling Bill from NYC again> Bell was clearly too weak last year, but his talent allowed him to perform at a reasonable level in the passing game. I'm very interested in seeing what a full offseason of workouts does for his strength -- similar to Wood's situation recovering from his injury. Both of those guys are likely to resemble completely different players this season.

I feel reasonably good about LT, LG, C, and RG. RT is obviously the big question mark. Let's hope Hairston is a quick study.

I feel reasonably good about LT, LG, C, and RG. RT is obviously the big question mark. Let's hope Hairston is a quick study.

Sorry to put you on the spot - but who, at the RG position, do you feel comfortable about ? Only one I can think of is HanG and that is because he may make the transition easier due to experience.

Sorry to put you on the spot - but who, at the RG position, do you feel comfortable about ? Only one I can think of is HanG and that is because he may make the transition easier due to experience.

Hangartner is who I was thinking of. Smart guy, durable. Please don't misinterpret -- I'm not suggesting the Bills have 4/5 of an All-Pro line in place. I just believe there is room for optimism now that Bell and Wood are healthy and able to get stronger, Levitre appears to be legit, and Hangartner is a reliable vet.