RT Talk:

Gailey is a very good offensive mind. He is a smart man and like him or not, so is his quarterback.

Jauron is a defensive backs coach who is good at teaching a painfully bad defense to his players. One that had Aaron Schobel covering receivers when he was the only pass rusher on the team. One that went backwards and never attacked and was built upon defensive backs (that weren't all that).

As for Nix, please go to drafthistory.com and tell me how he could be any worse than Levy/Jauron.

Anyway, I hope that I'm right, but feel very safe in thinking that Nix/Gailey couldn't be as bad as those two. It doesn't seem possible.

As painfully bad as Dick's defensive scheme was, the defense under Gailey was far worse-

primarily because Edwards was totally inept - yet remains the DC

Anyone who thinks Chris Kelsay can play OLB and cover anyone in the NFL does not deserve to have a job

(there is hope that Wannstadt will improve things behind the scene - but he has never fully impelemented and utilized a 3-4 scheme)

and with a defense so bad, how is it that none of the top defensive draft picks made any impact whatsoever, let alone got on the field?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As painfully bad as Dick's defensive scheme was, the defense under Gailey was far worse-

Anyone who thinks Chris Kelsay can play OLB and cover anyone in the NFL does not deserve to have a job

(there is hope that Wannstadt will improve things behind the scene - but he has never fully impelemented and utilized a 3-4 scheme)

and with a defense so bad, how is it that none of the top defensive draft picks made any impact whatsoever, let alone got on the field?

The defense was set up for failure from the start of the season. Last year we had a soft Tampa 2 defense that couldn't stop the run at all. The D than converted to a 3-4 scheme using 80% of that personnel. The two free agents brought in to help the defense Davis and Edwards were hurt, the two draft picks spent to help the conversion Troup and Carrington failed to make an impact, and the D's best player retired before the season started.

Throw in a 1st year DC that was over matched at times and it was painfully obvious that the D was going to be horrendous.

Lets hope Troup and Carrington progress, Dareus, Sheppard, and Williams make an impact, and the rest of the D gets more accustomed to playing in a 3-4.

We also didn't see a full season from Dwan Edwards, Andra Davis, Spencer Johnson, Marcus Easley, Danny Batten, Antonio Coleman, Demetrius Bell, Donald Jones, Geoff Hangartener, Terrence McGee, Reggie Torbor, Shawn Nelson, Andy Levitre, even Eric Wood.

But the question that has emerged over the last several seasons is why. Is it because these guys are overmatched (Bill Parcell's theory on chronic injury problems), because they are unlucky or because the league has become so physical that every team will have to deal with multiple injuries every year?

Kyle Calloway wasn't an impactful draft pick by any definition. Not to mention that he was taken in the Modrak Wheelhouse area of the draft. :lol:

Seriously, he was a 7th rounder. On the other hand, his (total lack of) success belies the claim that the Nix Era hasn't wasted a single draft pick.

Sisyphean,

What I mean about "wasted" draft picks I am talking about draft picks that are made without any rhyme or reason. Calloway was considered a very good pick at that selection because we need linemen and it was a value pick. But for the purposes of this converation I have to agree...he didn't work out. I also guess I should point out that even the best general managers have picks that dont work out. I should amend my position to "MOST" of the picks so far have been good picks.......

I think the stash is having much more power then is being let on to the press. He would not have come here otherwise.

I didn't miss any point, just keep defending them.

Was the switch to a 3-4 more important then the RT position or building the line....apparently. That is exactly what is wrong with these two.

With all those defensive picks to bolster the new 3-4 where is the stud OLB? Ohhh the injured guy from SD is supposed to regain his pro bowl form and lead the NFL in sacks, I'm not holding my breath.

You think Nix has yet to make a bad pick in the draft, I think the ONLY one I know will be a starter and make an impact is Marcel Darius, and he fell into their laps.

The thing is I have yet to see any of his draft picks make an impact, I kinda like to actually see some real production before I judge, I'm funny that way.

Like I said...missed the point. There is no reason to debate this with someone so narrow minded as you. Go back to hating on the new guys.

The defense was set up for failure from the start of the season. Last year we had a soft Tampa 2 defense that couldn't stop the run at all. The D than converted to a 3-4 scheme using 80% of that personnel. The two free agents brought in to help the defense Davis and Edwards were hurt, the two draft picks spent to help the conversion Troup and Carrington failed to make an impact, and the D's best player retired before the season started.

Throw in a 1st year DC that was over matched at times and it was painfully obvious that the D was going to be horrendous.

Lets hope Troup and Carrington progress, Dareus, Sheppard, and Williams make an impact, and the rest of the D gets more accustomed to playing in a 3-4.

Add Coleman, Moats, and Batten, all of whom went to meetings during their injuries.

Sisyphean,

What I mean about "wasted" draft picks I am talking about draft picks that are made without any rhyme or reason. Calloway was considered a very good pick at that selection because we need linemen and it was a value pick. But for the purposes of this converation I have to agree...he didn't work out. I also guess I should point out that even the best general managers have picks that dont work out. I should amend my position to "MOST" of the picks so far have been good picks.......

That's reasonable enough. I do think that the jury is still out on last year's draft, though. The Bills were not a good team and they found very little production out of their rookies. That's not the end of the story, but it isn't exactly hitting the ground running.

Like I said...missed the point. There is no reason to debate this with someone so narrow minded as you. Go back to hating on the new guys.

Exactly what point did I miss, spell it out...or is this just your way of avoiding the argument

I see you have reduced yourself to name calling because you have no real argument. You made the most moronic statement I think I've ever read in this forum, I didn't belittle you....even though you deserved it!

Contrary to what you believe, no team needs to "BOTTOM OUT" in order to improve, nor do they need a season for evaluating talent.

I don't hate either Gailey or Nix, they both are getting paid millions of dollars to do a particular job, and I just think they are both inept at those current jobs.

All I've done is pointed out the mistakes this new staff has made, did I lie about any of it?

"We started out with no players," Ralph Wilson said with a hearty laugh. "Our drafts in the last 10 years have been terrible." Says the man responsible for the ten years of bad drafts, or did someone else hire those men who did the drafting?

Edited by Harvey lives