My VERY early pick by pick draft grade...

This means absolutely nothing right now,but here are my draft grades for each pick in this year's draft. Feel free to post your own grades, and add any comments!

Round 1: Marcell Dareus: A: Exactly what we needed, a big run stuffing defender that will get pressure on the QB as well. Helps both in the passing and running game. Best pick we could've possibly made.

Round 2: Aaron Williams: B+: I am so-so with this pick. I really thought they would go with another front 7 player, maybe Akeem Ayers or Brooks Reed, two guys who could provide a pass rush off the edge.Was also thinking Kyle Rudolph with this selection, as we could've finally gotten a competent tight end who could run-block and catch. Aaron Williams wasn't really on my radar with this selection. However, i am happy we didn't go for a QB just for the sake of nabbing one, such as Kaepernick or Dalton. This pick will help us defensively, and will provide an asset to our overrated secondary. Although i do think another front-7 player might of been a better selection here,or maybe Rudolph, but on the other hand, we got good value for Aaron Williams, and if he pans out, our Defense could be a whole lot better overall.

Round 3: Kelvin Sheppard: B+/A-: I like this pick, but it can be debatable whether we should've gone with Martez Wilson,as he was on the board and was projected to be a 2nd rounder. I like the fact that Sheppard is a leader, and was the leading tackler on a stout LSU defense. This kid could really help us in the LB position, our weakest position on defense. Our run defense could see an improvement, maybe not immediately, but definitely in the near future. We went to a position of need, and again, didn't go for a gadget type player. Stuck to defense, and got ourselves a solid player. Happy with this pick.

Round 4: Da'Norris Searcy: C+: I like the fact that we continued to build up our porous defense, however, im not sure that he was the best option. I was really hoping we would've taken Casey Matthews, and added to our front-7. Nevertheless, these mid-late round selection are tough to grade right away. We just have to wait and see how this kid turn out. I wanted a LB or OT with this pick, but im not to upset with Searcy.

Round 4: Chris Hairston: B: The kid has great size, but is somewhat raw. If we can coach him up,he has all the physical tools to become a good player, and who knows, he could even start this year at RT. It's interesting that he blocked for Spiller during his years in Clemson. We'll see what comes of that. Like this pick, Buddy was trying to fill a big hole on this offense.

Round 5: Johnny White: B : Tod Mccshay called him the most underrated player in the draft. This is far from a position of need, however, this kid could be a hidden gem. I watched some film, and his running style reminds me of Marshawn Lynch, with that power, however, he seems to be faster, and hits his holes quite well. He was injured for most of this year, which is why he slipped to the 5th. But people should watch out for this kid, i think he could be a baller. This running-back system has potential to be a VERY good one. Really like this pick, although it wasn't a need pick.

Round 6: Chris White: B-: Like that we're trying to improve the LB core, whatever way we can. The kid is not flashy, but he gets the job done. He'll have to be coached up well to become a major factor on this team. Not a bad pick

Round 7: Justin Rogers: C+: CB with lots of speed, but raw. Will need to step up big in training camp to make this squad, already crowded with DB's.

Round 7: Michael Jasper: A-: Like this pick just because of the guys size. Does it mean anything just yet? Probably not. However, if what i've read about him is true, he can also move well for his size. He was 430 last year, but has dropped to 380 or something near that range. This kid will be very interesting to watch throughout training camp, and if he works out, he will be one tough object to move. He has potential to clog up lots of room in the running game, which is why i love this pick

This means absolutely nothing right now,but here are my draft grades for each pick in this year's draft. Feel free to post your own grades, and add any comments!

Round 1: Marcell Dareus: A: Exactly what we needed, a big run stuffing defender that will get pressure on the QB as well. Helps both in the passing and running game. Best pick we could've possibly made.

Round 2: Aaron Williams: B+: I am so-so with this pick. I really thought they would go with another front 7 player, maybe Akeem Ayers or Brooks Reed, two guys who could provide a pass rush off the edge.Was also thinking Kyle Rudolph with this selection, as we could've finally gotten a competent tight end who could run-block and catch. Aaron Williams wasn't really on my radar with this selection. However, i am happy we didn't go for a QB just for the sake of nabbing one, such as Kaepernick or Dalton. This pick will help us defensively, and will provide an asset to our overrated secondary. Although i do think another front-7 player might of been a better selection here,or maybe Rudolph, but on the other hand, we got good value for Aaron Williams, and if he pans out, our Defense could be a whole lot better overall.

Round 3: Kelvin Sheppard: B+/A-: I like this pick, but it can be debatable whether we should've gone with Martez Wilson,as he was on the board and was projected to be a 2nd rounder. I like the fact that Sheppard is a leader, and was the leading tackler on a stout LSU defense. This kid could really help us in the LB position, our weakest position on defense. Our run defense could see an improvement, maybe not immediately, but definitely in the near future. We went to a position of need, and again, didn't go for a gadget type player. Stuck to defense, and got ourselves a solid player. Happy with this pick.

Round 4: Da'Norris Searcy: C+: I like the fact that we continued to build up our porous defense, however, im not sure that he was the best option. I was really hoping we would've taken Casey Matthews, and added to our front-7. Nevertheless, these mid-late round selection are tough to grade right away. We just have to wait and see how this kid turn out. I wanted a LB or OT with this pick, but im not to upset with Searcy.

Round 4: Chris Hairston: B: The kid has great size, but is somewhat raw. If we can coach him up,he has all the physical tools to become a good player, and who knows, he could even start this year at RT. It's interesting that he blocked for Spiller during his years in Clemson. We'll see what comes of that. Like this pick, Buddy was trying to fill a big hole on this offense.

Round 5: Johnny White: B : Tod Mccshay called him the most underrated player in the draft. This is far from a position of need, however, this kid could be a hidden gem. I watched some film, and his running style reminds me of Marshawn Lynch, with that power, however, he seems to be faster, and hits his holes quite well. He was injured for most of this year, which is why he slipped to the 5th. But people should watch out for this kid, i think he could be a baller. This running-back system has potential to be a VERY good one. Really like this pick, although it wasn't a need pick.

Round 6: Chris White: B-: Like that we're trying to improve the LB core, whatever way we can. The kid is not flashy, but he gets the job done. He'll have to be coached up well to become a major factor on this team. Not a bad pick

Round 7: Justin Rogers: C+: CB with lots of speed, but raw. Will need to step up big in training camp to make this squad, already crowded with DB's.

Round 7: Michael Jasper: A-: Like this pick just because of the guys size. Does it mean anything just yet? Probably not. However, if what i've read about him is true, he can also move well for his size. He was 430 last year, but has dropped to 380 or something near that range. This kid will be very interesting to watch throughout training camp, and if he works out, he will be one tough object to move. He has potential to clog up lots of room in the running game, which is why i love this pick

Who needs Brooks Reed when we have the "Battenaitor". Actually I was/am a huge Brooks Reed fan but as many corners as we have none are great and we needed an upgrade and some youth at that position.

OverallI think this draft was great but the 2nd rd pick to me is suspect. university of texas players are lazy as a whole ,they get treated like gods on campus because of the football program,,theyre are so many high picks from there that never lived up to exspectations in the nfl...williams,young,shelton.etc...

I would of preferred they'd of taken brooks reed ..he's played ilb, olb, and de and played all well!! the "hybrid " 3-4 ,4-3 ... imo.. he would of been perfect for it .most teams scheme for particular personal,,but with a guy like that who studys? the rt ,lt.guards,centers , te's .his versatility wouldve been a nightmare for opposing teams..

oh well a missed opportunity imo

I'd have been a little more generous. Dareus would be an A plus in my book as he was the best defensive lineman and maybe even the best player available in the draft in a position of critical need for us. I think we went from an awful front seven to a mediocre front seven with ONE pick. A little luck and Merriman getting better and I think we might actually have a good front seven.

Jasper is the other clear A (given the round) He has good mobility and is huge and has played offensive and defensive line and sounds like a blud collar guy. You aren't expecting much from a last round pick, but this guy could be a surprise.

The other picks fill very real needs for the team.

I'm very happy with this year's draft for the first time in a very long time. What could have made it better? A stud LT, but there wasn't one available.

I'd have been a little more generous. Dareus would be an A plus in my book as he was the best defensive lineman and maybe even the best player available in the draft in a position of critical need for us. I think we went from an awful front seven to a mediocre front seven with ONE pick. A little luck and Merriman getting better and I think we might actually have a good front seven.

Jasper is the other clear A (given the round) He has good mobility and is huge and has played offensive and defensive line and sounds like a blud collar guy. You aren't expecting much from a last round pick, but this guy could be a surprise.

I'm very happy with this year's draft for the first time in a very long time. What could have made it better? A stud LT, but there wasn't one available.

A TE or a QB(project) would have been a good idea. But this team had too many hole to fill with one draft.

In the last two years of the Bills drafts with a total of 18 picks, the Bills have selected 3 defensive tackles, 4 line-backers, and a defensive end. With another three picks on defense going to corners and a safety. For a total of 8 picks dedicated to the front seven and 11 of the 18 focused on defense. Of the offense picks (8), three went to the offensive line. Also, other than Spiller, there has not been ANY offensive player taken before the 4th round in the last two years.

That means out of the 18 picks, the Bills chose 11 defensive players. 14 out of 18 picks were focued on bulking up the defense or making the interior lines or front seven bigger and nastier. We can disagree with the players picked at each position, but it is hard to argue that Buffalo is not doing everything they can to get bigger, stronger and meaner in the trenches, especially on defense. That being said, it would be nice to have a real threat at the TE position.

Nice job. I always like to do this after I've read up on each of the picks, and was thinking about doing the same, so I'll give brief comments to each of your grades.

1. I'm with Tenn boy, this is an A+. If you saw the video of behind the scenes from the draft on BB.com, right after Denver picked Miller, Nix gave a pump fist--they got the their guy, and possibly best player in draft.

2. I like what I've read about this pick. I like that they didn't reach and took someone projected to go 27-30 in R1. CB was a bigger need than most realized. That said, your grade is probably correct.

3. I like everything I've read about KS. Bills definitely needed ILB help. He reminds me of Talley, and if he can provide that kind of emotion and leadership, then you've again got the right grade.

4.a and b. These were the two hardest picks for me to judge. Searcy seems to be an enigma, some calling him a great SS, others saying he shies away from contact. C+ is probably right. Hairston seems to have a lot of upside, so I'm with you here too.

5. Given all of the accolades on JWhite, I'd say his grade should be bumped a bit.

6. CWhite, I think says it all. I like the enthusiasm, but does he have enough athleticism to make it? I'd bump this one down a notch.

7.a. This is my sleeper pick. The only knock I've seen on this kid is his size. I think someone on the board compared him to Jabari Greer, which I think is a good comparison. Bump him up a notch.

7.b. Usually the type of pick that I root for, but given how over-hyped he's been here, I'll wait and see if he's more than a Leif Larsen... Silly to give an A- for such a unknown quantity. I'd give the pick a B for the draft department's ability to find him.

As for waiting 2-3 years, what fun is that?

I was another one of those people who was left head-scratching when Aaron Williams' name was called on day two. I was also hoping for an edge rusher, and was particularly hoping for Brooks Reed who looks on film like the second coming of Clay Matthews. The Searcy pick was particularly difficult for me to suggest because there were so many good players, in positions of need, who were left on the board (Acho, Stocker, Colin McCarthy, & James Brewer all come to mind). After reading up on Searcy, however, he seems to be a versatile, physical defensive back who can really "lay the lumber" on opposing ball carriers. I nearly creamed my shorts when we selected Dareus, and I really liked the Sheppard, Hairston, and Chris White picks.

I realize that it takes 3-4 years to truly evaluate a draft class, but (IMO) Buddy and the boys had an exceptional draft. We certainly got bigger, stronger, and hopefully better on defense.

CHAMPIONSHIP!! :thumbsup:

A TE or a QB(project) would have been a good idea. But this team had too many hole to fill with one draft.

yes. I was pulling for us to draft Luke Stocker of Tennessee, but we passed. Kind of like another Tennessee tight end I was pulling for us to draft...Jason Whitten.

I believe the two Whites, Johnny & Chris, were picked to primarily be special team contributors. The Bills special teams have taken a step backwards the last few seasons with the loss of some of the more talented players on that unit (Mario Haggan, et al). Both Whites are billed as hard-nosed players willing to do whatever it takes for the team. If they get on the field at their designated positions that would be a plus.

If we could have picked Dalton instead of Williams in Rd 2, I would have been real happy. Andy is supposed to be a very accurate QB and could be NFL ready in a few years. Williams is not even going to start @ the position he plays.

The Bills Keep reaching for these above average DBs in the top of the draft....Whitner, McKelvin, Byrd and now Williams...You don't win in this league by having above average CBs.

Edited by ganesh

If we could have picked Dalton instead of Williams in Rd 2, I would have been real happy. Andy is supposed to be a very accurate QB and could be NFL ready in a few years. Williams is not even going to start @ the position he plays.

The Bills Keep reaching for these above average DBs in the top of the draft....Whitner, McKelvin, Byrd and now Williams...You don't win in this league by having above average CBs.

Look atthe Raiders with asomugha or whatever. You are correct, dbs mean squat without a pass rusha dn run stopping defense.

I believe the two Whites, Johnny & Chris, were picked to primarily be special team contributors. The Bills special teams have taken a step backwards the last few seasons with the loss of some of the more talented players on that unit (Mario Haggan, et al). Both Whites are billed as hard-nosed players willing to do whatever it takes for the team. If they get on the field at their designated positions that would be a plus.

I recommend reading the "Four Downs" pieces on both of the Whites on the Bills' website. I agree that their contributions will START on ST, but it would not at all surprise me to see Johnny on the field in some offensive situations this year, and Chris breaking into the defensive lineup situationally by the end of the season or in 2012. I really see a lot of John Holecek in Chris White -- not a star, but a solid contributor. If you get that out of a 5th round pick it ain't too shabby.