Texas justice?

I just spent 34 days in jail. Two strangers made up a story and called the police. That's all it took. They tried to make me plead a deal. I wouldn't do it, so they through me back in. I finally bonded out with the help of my attorney. I still have not seen or talked to a judge. A nightmare. Just unbelievable. And it's not over. I had no idea you could be jailed with no evidence whatsoever. Screw Texas. :angry:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spent 34 days in jail. Two strangers made up a story and called the police. That's all it took. They tried to make me plead a deal. I wouldn't do it, so they through me back in. I finally bonded out with the help of my attorney. I still have not seen or talked to a judge. A nightmare. Just unbelievable. And it's not over. I had no idea you could be jailed with no evidence whatsoever. Screw Texas. :angry:

Is that you, Jared Laughner? Really, that just sucks.

That must have been a helluva story they told the police.

A practiced indignation and use of the police to mess someone up. Truly amazing. They said I was masterbating and exposing myself in the water at Barton Springs, and at the playground near by a little later. The guy said my penis could be seen sticking out of my shorts. Those shorts, by the way, come to my knees. Thank god I am an average white guy. The water there is freezing, by the way. Shrinkage anyone? Made a huge deal about being around mothers and children. Just made up outrage. The lady cop just went with it. No history of this, no priors, I'm too old, but how do you prove a negative. Looks like we're going to trial, for a misdemeanor. Maybe perjuring themselves in court will be harder than lying to the cops.

A practiced indignation and use of the police to mess someone up. Truly amazing. They said I was masterbating and exposing myself in the water at Barton Springs, and at the playground near by a little later. The guy said my penis could be seen sticking out of my shorts. Those shorts, by the way, come to my knees. Thank god I am an average white guy. The water there is freezing, by the way. Shrinkage anyone? Made a huge deal about being around mothers and children. Just made up outrage. The lady cop just went with it. No history of this, no priors, I'm too old, but how do you prove a negative. Looks like we're going to trial, for a misdemeanor. Maybe perjuring themselves in court will be harder than lying to the cops.

are you in a feud? is this payback of some kind?

are you in a feud? is this payback of some kind?

I do not know these people. I can't see my part in any of it. Minding my own business, not a high crime area, broad daylight, no alcohol involved. I had my laptop and travel bag with me. It occurred to me that they might have thought I was a transient or a hobo. There is an undercurrent of frustration and resentment towards the homeless in Austin. The place is over run with them. Having exhausted my resources, and not allowed to go home till this is resolved, I am now pretty much there as well.

Found the problem.

I do not know these people. I can't see my part in any of it. Minding my own business, not a high crime area, broad daylight, no alcohol involved. I had my laptop and travel bag with me. It occurred to me that they might have thought I was a transient or a hobo. There is an undercurrent of frustration and resentment towards the homeless in Austin. The place is over run with them. Having exhausted my resources, and not allowed to go home till this is resolved, I am now pretty much there as well.

Cheeseburger, I live in Austin, and am familiar with Barton Springs...I stay away from there...it attracts Austins most pretentious element.

I don't know you, or what happened, but I can believe your side of the story...about 10 years ago, a friend of mine came to visit. She wanted to go swimming, as it was disgusting hot, as Texas normally is...I took her to Barton Springs...not only were we "exposed" to two different dudes, on bikes, riding around in thongs, as I get in the pool, I notice my friend isn't getting in...I ask her what is up with that, and she points to a woman who is swimming with her dog, in the shallow end...the dog has diarrhea, and is shitting up a storm...there are loads of people around.

I said something to the lady like "uh..do you think you should be letting your dog **** in the water?" She got very indignant...a few minutes later, out of the water and baking in the sun, a park official comes over and asks me if I "have a problem". At first, I didn't know what she was talking about, and then I said, "Oh, you mean the dog?" She just stares at me, through her sun glasses. She doesn't say anything. Uncomfortable, I said, "Do they allow dogs to **** in the water?" Apparently, using the four letter word for defecate was enough to get me tossed from the park. I honestly didn't raise my voice to anyone, I didn't even make that big of a deal with the dog owner, but I had to say something...I haven't been back there, for a swim, since... good luck...

Wish I could say I was surprised at this...I'm not. It's far too easy to get someone thrown in jail on an accusation of a sexual offense.

That's not just Texas, either...it's nation-wide. Welcome to the unconstitutionality of "zero tolerance".

I suppose I should leave my "geographically blessed" comments out of this thread.

:P

What the heck were you doing in the first place to get into such a sticky wicket?

Well, if he was geting his wicket sticky in public then maybe there is some legitimate reason for all of this.

Sorry Cheeseburger, I couldn't help myself.

Well, if he was geting his wicket sticky in public then maybe there is some legitimate reason for all of this.

Sorry Cheeseburger, I couldn't help myself.

The whole point is, I wasn't doing anything. Not taking a piss, not anything. The chose me, they stalked me, and then executed their plan. That is what is so crazy. It could have been anybody, but they picked me. There is no evidence to support their sworn statements. No video, no pictures. The two accusers, who are pretending to not know each other, waited until I had left the area to call police. So the 40 some odd people who were down there at the water were never aware someone was being arrested. The woman called 911 on her cell phone, but never snapped a pictured of the alleged event. Now it's going to be up to a jury to decide what to believe. I don't know what will happen. The reason I was in jail so long was I hadn't memorized phone numbers and addresses to PR bond out. And nobody was missing me. I eventually was able to gather that info. My editor and others have offered to fly out and be a character witness. Just crazy. At this point I could be found guilty, and be released that day, because I have already spent so much time in jail for this misdemeanor charge. If I had taken their original deal, I would have been out in 15 days. But forever guilty of this terrible accusation. It would haunt me. It may still.

Edited by Cheeseburger_in_paradise

The whole point is, I wasn't doing anything. Not taking a piss, not anything. The chose me, they stalked me, and then executed their plan. That is what is so crazy. It could have been anybody, but they picked me. There is no evidence to support their sworn statements. No video, no pictures. The two accusers, who are pretending to not know each other, waited until I had left the area to call police. So the 40 some odd people who were down there at the water were never aware someone was being arrested. The woman called 911 on her cell phone, but never snapped a pictured of the alleged event. Now it's going to be up to a jury to decide what to believe. I don't know what will happen. The reason I was in jail so long was I hadn't memorized phone numbers and addresses to PR bond out. And nobody was missing me. I eventually was able to gather that info. My editor and others have offered to fly out and be a character witness. Just crazy. At this point I could be found guilty, and be released that day, because I have already spent so much time in jail for this misdemeanor charge. If I had taken their original deal, I would have been out in 15 days. But forever guilty of this terrible accusation. It would haunt me. It may still.

If you have the money, it would probably be a good idea to hire a private investigator. Any contact between the two "witnesses" won't stay secret for long.

You make it sound as though they conspired to !@#$ you over for no reason. How could you know that?

And keep in mind, when you read that question...if you're actually going to try any sort of "bitches set me up" argument in your defense, getting pissy and uppity about it doesn't present well in court.

You make it sound as though they conspired to !@#$ you over for no reason. How could you know that?

And keep in mind, when you read that question...if you're actually going to try any sort of "bitches set me up" argument in your defense, getting pissy and uppity about it doesn't present well in court.

So you understand my dilemma. Be glad you're not living it.

So you understand my dilemma. Be glad you're not living it.

Believe me, I am. I've seen what you're going through often enough - had a grand-nephew go through something similar (he's currently charged, awaiting trial - for a year now, it keeps getting postponed because the prosecution admits they don't have evidence to go to trial "yet"! - unable to finish high school, and lost a full scholarship to Duke, because one classmate accused him of exposing himself to her when no one else was around. And he's registered as a sex offender now despite lacking not just a conviction but a trial). My sister used to defend cases like yours; she hated them, because they were so damned difficult for the defense to win. I've been falsely accused of rape myself (fortunately, in my case, easily disproven, since I was hundreds of miles away at the time).

So basically, I'm glad I'm not living it, and I sympathize. You're basically !@#$ed - you're guilty until proven innocent, then still guilty. (Don't believe me? Reflect on the way most people on this board view people accused of crimes...then remember: that's your jury pool.) Were I in your shoes, I'd have said "!@#$ it, my life's over after this anyway" and gone up a clock tower with a rifle by now.

If you have the money, it would probably be a good idea to hire a private investigator. Any contact between the two "witnesses" won't stay secret for long.

I was going to suggest this. The PI can find out if they know each other, if they have done this before, and any other dirt on them that they won't want being aired in public during the cross-examination.