Tim Hasselback said....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Winning will make this go away!

I remember growing up and listening to people bash...

Chargers- until their Super Bowl run with Natrone Means & Stan Humphries...

Jets- during 80's up until Parcells and Testeverde...

Colts- from Unitas last game in the blue and white...up until Manning

I could go on, but what do they have now--what the Bills have?

They've turned it around through the draft & That's what were doing with Nix...Lets Go Buffalo!

I understand where you're going with this, but Johnny U was sent packing to San Diego because Bert Jones had arrived, Marchibroda (sp?) created a great offense to go with a strong D and they were once again a playoff team, albeit on the wrong end of thrilling -if crushing- playoff loses.

As for Tim Dufusback's comments, it was in response to a 'what if' the NFL employed soccer rules. Pure conjecture. We should expect a full summer of this crap for as long as the lockout remains..:wallbash:

Who would the "correct" choice be? As much as we hate to hear it, I think it would come down to us or the Jags. And the Jags have won more lately.

As always, if you really want to be mad at someone, be mad at Ralph. Are there any of Tim's points that you can argue with? Whose fault is it that this team has been a perennial loser most of it's existence?

50 years ago, he ran it like a pro. Business has changed but not in Buffalo, it never will.

He must be bitter about the time we beat him. Oh wait, he was never good enough to be a starter so we never got a chance to beat him. So he's bitter about the times we whooped his brother:

2004: Buffalo 38 Seatle 9

2008: Buffalo 34 Seattle 10

That could very well be it? Or it could be that in the last 8 years the Seahawks have been in the Playoffs 6 times and the Bills haven't even made it to second place in the division since then. Some people will find any excuse they can dig up to defend the disaster that has been the Buffalo Bills organization for the past decade and a half.

Edited by billsfreak

I understand your point with baseball. My point was that the Padres before 1984 and the Yankees during their 80s swoon were about 3,000 miles away from the playoffs. They weren't just mediocre teams, but bad teams. While the Pirates have missed the playoffs since 1992, they are hardly the only team that's been that bad for stretches, missing the playoffs, Dave Winfield, like the Nationals (1981) and Royals (1985).

It is kinda sad when the only examples that you can come up with to compare to the futility of the Bills are in baseball, where only a small percentage of the teams make the playoffs compared to the NFL where a third of the teams make the playoffs every year and have had a salary cap to allow every team except the Bills and Lions to make the playoffs over the past decade.

Edited by billsfreak

Sorry guys, the fact of the matter is that outside of our little bubble most folks don't even have an awareness that the Buffalo Bills even play in the NFL any longer.

Everywhere I travel, if people see me in a Bills hat or something, the reaction is always the same:

"The Bills? Oh wow, I'm sorry man."

I know it hurts to consider that something you hold very dear has been devalued to such a degree, but being sad about something doesn't invalidate it.

The combination of relentless losing and the almost total void of relevant, exciting players has ALREADY relegated the Buffalo Bills to minor league status.

Only winning with talented, star players will get us promoted back up to the big league.

Clevelands new franchise has had no level of success to speak of and I believe detroits playoff drought is just as long as ours. Honestly though it did take me a while to think of 3 teams in as bad of a situation as ours. Just not sure why these teams would get a pass and the bills (again) get beat up by espn. However I don't discount their location in pats* land as a factor in much of the hate they spew towards the bills.

I immediately thought of Detroit! With very little research you can find that over the past 10 years Detroit has one season with more wins than the Bills (2010 Det 6, Buf 4) and for the 10 year trend Detroit has 39 wins vs. the Bills 62! They don't even trend better, over the past 5 years Bills have 31 wins vs Detroit's 18 and that includes 0 wins as recently as 2008 for the Lions! But they are thought to be on the right track because they have Suh, Stafford and Calvin Johnson. While I know it is for only one season but our Johnson's stats are very similiar to Calvin Johnson in 2010.

Sorry guys, the fact of the matter is that outside of our little bubble most folks don't even have an awareness that the Buffalo Bills even play in the NFL any longer.

Everywhere I travel, if people see me in a Bills hat or something, the reaction is always the same:

"The Bills? Oh wow, I'm sorry man."

I know it hurts to consider that something you hold very dear has been devalued to such a degree, but being sad about something doesn't invalidate it.

The combination of relentless losing and the almost total void of relevant, exciting players has ALREADY relegated the Buffalo Bills to minor league status.

Only winning with talented, star players will get us promoted back up to the big league.

That is so true. If you see a football fan outside of the Bills fanbase, all they can tell you about the Bills is that they lost 4 Superbowls. Still?

Thats the way it goes. The Bills are one of the easiest targets in the league and will remain so until they start making the playoffs. In the meantime we will continue to be the butt of every easy joke and subjected to lazy journalism and insults. This should come as no surprise, its been happening for the last 10 years.

When I was first old enough to follow the sport, the Patriots were one of the worst teams in the league. I had never met a Pats fan until they made it to the Super Bowl in 96. Afterwards they settled back into mediocrity, and I didn't meet another Pats fan until 2001 when they returned to the SB and won. Suddenly they are a model franchise. An example of everything thats right. Anyone affiliated with the Pats is a genius, from the owner to HC to concession staff. Fans climbed out of the woodwork and I heard endless stories about how "my aunt that lives in Boston so I'm a Pats fan" or "I had a long layover in Logan, and fell in love with the Pats." No one seems to remember how bad they were and how ugly those uniforms were. What a constipated minuteman has to do with football, I will never know.

When the Bills finally turn this thing around, at first they will the loveable losers with a Cindarella season. If they continue to have success, the media will gloss over the bad years and the story becomes, storied franchise, original AFL team, returns to Super Bowl form. Comparisons to Kelly, Reed, Thurman, Bruce and Talley will be tossed around like Tila Tequila at Merriman's apartment. People will trample each other trying to hop on the bandwagon, and the conversation at TBD will shift from "we don't get no respect," to "look at all the jerks with their shiny new Bills hats. Where were they when the team was 4-12?" That's just how these things go.

:lol:

I was going to post the EXACT same thing, including the "Mr. Elizabeth Filarski" thing. Nice going. :thumbsup:

Why does ESPN do this, with all the ex-players they have on their network they push Tim Hasselbeck and his opinions on you. The guy has played in 5 nfl games his entire life. Those came in 2003 with Spurrier and only because the options were Patrick Ramsey, Gibran Hamdan, or Rob Johnson. They did the same with Salisbury the guy barely played, but with each passing year it was like he played another 20 games. Or when they check with Chris Carter during superbowl week, asking him about super bowl jitters ??? What super bowl was Chris Carter in? Same with baseball Orestes Destrade, Chris Singleton, Edwardo Perez - these guys might have been winter ball hall of famers but Ravy is asking them tell me what is wrong with Jose Bautista's swing. Respect of thoughts is - zero

Buffalo consistently outdraws Oakland and makes more money. If win-loss and championship success are the only criteria, then the Cubs should be sent packing from MLB. And the Saints would have been demoted decades ago (there's still talk about moving them). And half the NHL could be removed, along with a fair number of NBA teams.

As to Hassle-back's powers of analysis and insight, look no further than the wife he chose.

Exactly! Also Green Bay... For many years only played HALF of their home games @ Lambeau Field!

I would relegate Miami. They dont draw for chit,the fans truly blow, they really have not won more than the Bills have the last ten years(outside of that one year turnaround), the owner is a knucklehead going after Harbaugh last year, their GM is an arrogant pri#$ who asks propects how it was having a drug user and prostitue for a mom,and any team that makes teal it dominant color needs to get th hell out of the NFL :censored:

National media will say this, Bills stink. When Browns moved in Baltimore the season before they were 11-5. Just 5 years back they had a 5 year straight run of being very good, mostly under Marty ball. Baltimore had just 6 bad seasons before their move to Indy. Bills are the current worst franchise in the NFL.

I immediately thought of Detroit! With very little research you can find that over the past 10 years Detroit has one season with more wins than the Bills (2010 Det 6, Buf 4) and for the 10 year trend Detroit has 39 wins vs. the Bills 62! They don't even trend better, over the past 5 years Bills have 31 wins vs Detroit's 18 and that includes 0 wins as recently as 2008 for the Lions! But they are thought to be on the right track because they have Suh, Stafford and Calvin Johnson. While I know it is for only one season but our Johnson's stats are very similiar to Calvin Johnson in 2010.

And Stafford has been as brittle as they come. To suggest the Lions are on more of an upward trend than the Bills is hardly a proven fact.

I agree with Hasselback. Still wear my Jim Kelly & Doug Flutie jerseys and was thinking about a new one. When the Bills site put jerseys up yesterday for $20 I checked it out and then got thinking...they are so pathetic, why would I waste twenty bucks?

I agree with Hasselback. Still wear my Jim Kelly & Doug Flutie jerseys and was thinking about a new one. When the Bills site put jerseys up yesterday for $20 I checked it out and then got thinking...they are so pathetic, why would I waste twenty bucks?

Why would anybody buy a jersey period! This isn't high-shool and people aren't "the girlfriend!" :nana:

There is something so surreal and bizzare about the whole concept of jersey buying.

Just my 2 cents... Not intended to make anybody mad... Carry on with whatever works for you!

0:)

another unqualified ESPN analyst spouts off his globally meaningless opinion, so what. He sucked as an athlete, he sucks as an analyst, and is probably a douche bag to boot.

On the flip side, this team has been poor at best on the field, fix that problem(New Owner dedicated to winning, not whining it's hard to make money in WNY) and the useless douche announcers have to look elsewhere.

Why would anybody buy a jersey period! This isn't high-shool and people aren't "the girlfriend!" :nana:

There is something so surreal and bizzare about the whole concept of jersey buying.

Just my 2 cents... Not intended to make anybody mad... Carry on with whatever works for you!

0:)

Following that logic, why would anyone buy a ballcap, or a t-shirt, or a logoed product of any sort? Sorry, I'm having a hard time figuring out what is so "surreal" about buying a jersey representing one's favorite team.