Rumors: Sabres buying Amerks

Great news. This guy just loves to spend on hockey. I wish Pegula went a step further and started a Division 1 hockey program at UB. He did it at Penn State so what's another few million?!?

Gotta love Pegula - wants his farm team an hour down the NYS Thruway, not in freakin' Portland, ME!!!

Wikipedia entry

In 2007, the Sabres announced that this would be their last season of affiliation with the Amerks. Reasons cited include the financial insecurity of the AHL team, issues between ownership, the City of Rochester, and Blue Cross Arena management, along with the awkwardness of the dual affiliation with the Panthers. In 2008, the 29-year affiliation officially ended as Buffalo chose the Portland Pirates to be their new AHL affiliate.[6]

I understand how it happened... but I don't understand how the hell it happened.

It just seems stupid that the Amerks weren't the Sabres farm team --- they were mutually beneficial entities for the franchises. Being so close to each other, fans could watch players develop in Roch. and then play in B-lo. It's a nice thing to be a hope skip and a jump away in case of an emergency call-up. Have to assume this will save on transportation costs (these days, that's lots) and more able to bulk-order things both clubs will be using. Here's hoping that a natural partnership will resume. Really liking the direction Pegula is taking the franchise.

Gotta love Pegula - wants his farm team an hour down the NYS Thruway, not in freakin' Portland, ME!!!

Obviously you've never been to Portland. I guarantee some Sabre prospects will shed tears leaving the Old Port behind. Its a great city to be young in.

PTR

Obviously you've never been to Portland. I guarantee some Sabre prospects will shed tears leaving the Old Port behind. Its a great city to be young in.

PTR

I met George 'The Animal' Steele at a convention in Portland, several years ago. While I sometimes confuse Portland, ME with the more upscale Portsmouth, NH, I have nothing against Portland.

My point was simply that the Sabres have known the advantage of having their AHL farm team an hour away ever since the Knox family bought the Amerks in 1979 and lasting until the dual-affiliation crap with Tampa Bay started in 2005. That's all.

Edited by The Senator

This may sound like a dumb question, I am sure someone will let me know...but, if the Pegula/Sabres purchase the Amerks, would the Sabres current prospects in Portland automaticaly go to Rochester, or are they, individually, under obligation to the Pirates?

This may sound like a dumb question, I am sure someone will let me know...but, if the Pegula/Sabres purchase the Amerks, would the Sabres current prospects in Portland automaticaly go to Rochester, or are they, individually, under obligation to the Pirates?

Well, any Sabres picks'/prospects' rights remain with the team, with which they signed their contract. They are "designated for assignment" to the AHL affiliate. If this happens, I would think it's just a matter of changing the assignment location. I don't know the arrangement they have WRT coaches.

I'd imagine that there are players Portland signs on their own to fill out their roster, so the entire team probably will not be transferred.

So basically, it all matters who owns each contract.

Edited by UConn James

It just seems stupid that the Amerks weren't the Sabres farm team --- they were mutually beneficial entities for the franchises. Being so close to each other, fans could watch players develop in Roch. and then play in B-lo.

This is exactly correct. Being from Rochester, i can tell you that the Amerks used to be a great draw. Ever since the affiliation with the Sabres ended, no one goes to games anymore because most hockey fans in Rochester are Sabres fans and don't care about seeing Panthers prospects, and with RIT being D-I now there's other options for seeing good hockey close to home.

Edited by Chandemonium

This is exactly correct. Being from Rochester, i can tell you that the Amerks used to be a great draw. Ever since the affiliation with the Sabres ended, no one goes to games anymore because most hockey fans in Rochester are Sabres fans and don't care about seeing Panthers prospects, and with RIT being D-I now there's other options for seeing good hockey close to home.

We're looking at such a short window though. Obviously the Sabres are the best fit, but you'd have to wonder how many people would show up if they actually had some other competent parent organization, like, say, Detroit.

Makes it harder for him to buy The Bills though, I suppose.

Why? The Amerks are worth, what, $5M at best? That's chump change to Pegs. And Rochester is in Buffalo's territory. It's no problem.

I met George 'The Animal' Steele at a convention in Portland, several years ago. While I sometimes confuse Portland, ME with the more upscale Portsmouth, NH, I have nothing against Portland.

My point was simply that the Sabres have known the advantage of having their AHL farm team an hour away ever since the Knox family bought the Amerks in 1979 and lasting until the dual-affiliation crap with Tampa Bay started in 2005. That's all.

I do too!!!

The only way I square it away is that I try not to forget that Kittery, ME is on the other side of the river/border with Portsmouth, NH!

Why? The Amerks are worth, what, $5M at best? That's chump change to Pegs. And Rochester is in Buffalo's territory. It's no problem.

He's down to about $2.895 billion in cash now. That well's going to run dry soon. :lol:

Edited by shrader

• 1 month later...

More than just a rumor now....

Buffalo Sabres sign purchase agreement with the Rochester Americans

The Buffalo Sabres today announced they have signed a purchase agreement with the Rochester Americans hockey club. The AHL Board of Governors unanimously approved the transaction earlier today. The Sabres also announced their affiliation agreement with the Portland Pirates has ended.

:worthy: Pegula!

Makes it harder for him to buy The Bills though, I suppose.

He's down to about $2.895 billion in cash now. That well's going to run dry soon. :lol:

It's not the money. Doesn't the NFL have a restriction for their owners - they can't own other sport franchises and be an NFL owner - n'est pas?

Maybe not. Probably have it wrong. Often do. Oh me.

It's not the money. Doesn't the NFL have a restriction for their owners - they can't own other sport franchises and be an NFL owner - n'est pas?

Maybe not. Probably have it wrong. Often do. Oh me.

You can own an NFL team and another professional league's team in the same city, or another city without an NFL team. IOW Pegs can own the Bills and Sabres, or the Bills and Sacramento Kings, but not the Bills and Bruins.