would you want carson palmer for a mid round pick?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the key, the Bills probably wouldn't consider picking him up at his current contract (I hope). If he were to be let go by Cincy, that contract is out the window and he is a FA. If he didn't draw much interest MAYBE the Bills could consider it.

For those who are saying "Palmer sucks", "he's shot", "Can't play since injuries"...I guess you haven't actually watched him play. Like him or not, the guy is good, and was good LAST YEAR. Just because the Bengals suck, doesn't mean he does. Is he Peyton Manning? No way. Is he better than any QB the Bills have had since Jim Kelly by a wide margin? YES, including Fitz.

The guy averages 4k yards per season and 26 TD's when healthy, which is what he did last year (Healthy). I think the Bill's should look for a younger, longer term prospect personally, but give the guy some credit. He's accomplished a lot playing on one of the all time worst franchises.

T

Palmer is a lot better than many give him credit, true. And given the situation in Cincy, there is a small chance that Palmer is simply let go(this is why I don't mind commenting on the prospect), but I wouldn't count on it. If he is traded though, the Bills would and should pass IMO. Too pricey. I do think that Fitz and Palmer would make a great 1-2 punch. You may think Palmer would be the starter but I don't see it that way. Fitz knows the offense and Palmer doesn't. I'll wager too that Fitz looks a whole lot better than last year too.

There really isn't much chance of Palmer landing here though.

There really isn't much chance of Palmer landing here though.

Yeah, it was interesting thought but it just seems very unlikely for many reasons.

Look for the Bills to pick up a less solid, less expensive veteran purely as a backup to Fitz. And/or pick up a young, low risk, "prospect" type of player. Similar to what they did with Brohm (but hopefully better).

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Well, Mike Brown did draft Andy Dalton with the #35 overall pick - so Brown might be a 'believer' in the retirement threats.

In any case, given the rancor that exists between Palmer and the Bengals - along with their nabbing Dalton in the draft, it does appear that Palmer is done in Cincinnati. If that's the case, why offer a mid-round pick for the guy? Wouldn't most teams just wait for him to be released? (Kind of like everyone did when it was obvious the Bills were done with Bledsoe?)

No, most teams that would be interested may well be willing to give up a draft choice or two simply because if they don't, they may not get him in a FA scenario. Waiting isn't certain is it?

No, most teams that would be interested may well be willing to give up a draft choice or two simply because if they don't, they may not get him in a FA scenario. Waiting isn't certain is it?

The teams that would be willing to give up draft picks for Carson Palmer have an IMMEDIATE need for a starting caliber QB. We already have a starting QB in Fitz. Why would we give up picks for a backup QB?

And that reason is draft position. No GM would allow benching a #1 pick for a #7 even if he was outplayed.

PTR

Alex Smith, Tim Couch, Vince Young, and several others were first round picks who were benched for lower drafted players, because of playing ability. In fact, Losman was a first round pick, and he was benched for a few different QBs drafted much lower than him, and at least one GM let that happen. I like Fitz, but even though Palmer is not anywhere the QB he was 5 years ago, even today he is better than Fitz, and draft position doesn't have a single thing to do with it. Some people on this board have a serious man crush on Fitz, maybe becuase he is the underdog or likeable, and he is both of those, but he isn't the answer at QB, and probably had his best career season last year. The man crush if blurring their vision of just how good Fitz is, he is a very good career backup at best. Now I am not saying I want Palmer here, what this team needs is a young (rookie) QB with the potential to be the franchise QB we have so lacked for a decade and a half now.

Heh. Just another desperate vote of no confidence in Fitz. Let the guy play a freakin season going in as the starter. He has been the best Bills QB since Jim Kelly and the one year Bledsoe did well for us with a highly ranked defense.

You are kidding right? I really like Fitz, but he is nowhere near the QB that Flutie or Bledsoe were when they were here. Wow?

Edited by billsfreak

All we are saying, is give Fitz a chance.

This is a conversation about Carson Palmer and has nothing to do with Fitz. I think most will agree that almost any FA prospects will be backups to Fitz anyway, at lest this year.

Alex Smith, Tim Couch, Vince Young, and several others were first round picks who were benched for lower drafted players, because of playing ability. In fact, Losman was a first round pick, and he was benched for a few different QBs drafted much lower than him, and at least one GM let that happen. I like Fitz, but even though Palmer is not anywhere the QB he was 5 years ago, even today he is better than Fitz, and draft position doesn't have a single thing to do with it. Some people on this board have a serious man crush on Fitz, maybe becuase he is the underdog or likeable, and he is both of those, but he isn't the answer at QB, and probably had his best career season last year. The man crush if blurring their vision of just how good Fitz is, he is a very good career backup at best. Now I am not saying I want Palmer here, what this team needs is a young (rookie) QB with the potential to be the franchise QB we have so lacked for a decade and a half now.

You are kidding right? I really like Fitz, but he is nowhere near the QB that Flutie or Bledsoe were when they were here. Wow?

So true, and you could even throw Losman's "good" season in 2006 to the debate. I can't actually believe I just said that, but it's true. F#@K we've been bad at QB for so long. People are actually debating bringing on a guy with 50mil on his contract. That is money that can hypothetically be spent elsewhere.

Alex Smith, Tim Couch, Vince Young, and several others were first round picks who were benched for lower drafted players, because of playing ability.

Let's not forget #1-overall pick Drew Bledsoe, benched for 6th round (#199 overall) Tom Brady*

I like Fitz, but even though Palmer is not anywhere the QB he was 5 years ago, even today he is better than Fitz, and draft position doesn't have a single thing to do with it. Some people on this board have a serious man crush on Fitz, maybe because he is the underdog or likeable, and he is both of those, but he isn't the answer at QB, and probably had his best career season last year.

And this season will be even better - as it will be his second under Gailey, the WR corps, running game, and O-line should be vastly improved, and it'll be the first time he'll have been prepared as the starting QB from the outset of OTAs right thru camp and preseason.

Now I am not saying I want Palmer here, what this team needs is a young (rookie) QB with the potential to be the franchise QB we have so lacked for a decade and a half now.

Can't disagree with that at all, though we both may change our minds if Fitz has an All Pro season - just doesn't make much sense to draft a QB if Nix & Co. don't think he's 'the right one'...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

Isn't that what happened with Merriman. Nobody was willing to grab him while it was going to cost a draft pick. As soon as he was released the Bills snapped him up. With Palmer's big contract, many teams may take a pass until Cincy simply lets him go. Not that uncertain is it?

Edited by Rockinon

Isn't that what happened with Merriman. Nobody was willing to grab him while it was going to cost a draft pick. As soon as he was released the Bills snapped him up.

Yes, and no one's going to sacrifice a draft pick for Palmer with 4 years and $53M remaining on his current contract - especially since he's been so vocal about never playing for the Bengals again!

JMO, but I think the Bengals will be forced to either outright release him or call his 'bluff' about retirement, neither of which gets them anything in return. (Alternatively, I guess they could try to trade him - but I'd think he would have to be willing to renegotiate that 4-year $53M contract, no?)

I'd be more interested in spending a 6th on someone young with upside like Dennis Dixon. Then wheeling in a has-been like Palmer.

You'd think the Steelers might be happy almost breaking even on Dixon.

I don't know if Charlie Batch and Leftwitch will be back in 2011 so the Steelers need to sign a backup QB anyway.

Chan with Dixon could be pretty interesting.

Or now that Josh Freeman is the man in TB, Josh Johnson would look nice holding a clipboard and learning from Chan.

Denis Dixon and Josh Johnson are more of the type of QB Chan seems to want in his offense. In the hands of Chan these guy would be pretty interesting.

If the offseason has proved anything it has proven that with "Camp Fitzzy" Fitzpatrick is the unquestioned leader of the team that the team can rally around.

Bringing in Palmer or VY is probably just bad mojo that doesn't make the team better.

Bring in a young guy that isn't a real threat but with some tutelage could give you something and possibly be a challenge to whatever rookie we draft in 2012, or 2013.

Edited by Why So Serious?

"Wow?" You're kidding right? You throw in Flutie and act shocked and amazed? "Holy sensationalism batman!" Good call on Flutie but look back with open eyes not rose colored glasses. Flutie's QB numbers were pretty similar to Fitz last year. Bledsoe? He had one good year and was even replaced by JP Losman. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I seriously question whether you "really like Fitz". Do you actually like him and just have a distorted view of Flutie and Bledsoe's history thinking they were SO much better than Fitz OR are you just saying you really like Fitz in an attempt to seem like you are providing an unbiased opinion when you say he is no where near what the other 2 were when the numbers clearly show he was?

Edited by PDaDdy

"Wow?" You're kidding right? You throw in Flutie and act shocked and amazed? "Holy sensationalism batman!" Good call on Flutie but look back with open eyes not rose colored glasses. Flutie's QB numbers were pretty similar to Fitz last year. Bledsoe? He had one good year and was even replaced by JP Losman. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I seriously question whether you "really like Fitz". Do you actually like him and just have a distorted view of Flutie and Bledsoe's history thinking they were SO much better than Fitz OR are you just saying you really like Fitz in an attempt to seem like you are providing an unbiased opinion when you say he is no where near what the other 2 were when the numbers clearly show he was?

That's a bit out of context, no? He wasn't anointed the the better QB by his play on the field, rather by some misguided judgement of the FO "going w/ their guy."

Isn't that what happened with Merriman. Nobody was willing to grab him while it was going to cost a draft pick. As soon as he was released the Bills snapped him up. With Palmer's big contract, many teams may take a pass until Cincy simply lets him go. Not that uncertain is it?

Why would Cincy "simply let him go"?

They own his rights--even if he "retires". Why would they let him go for nothing in return?

That's a bit out of context, no? He wasn't anointed the the better QB by his play on the field, rather by some misguided judgement of the FO "going w/ their guy."

You are absolutely correct. Say what you want about Bledsoe but he was a well respected veteran leader on that team. TD & Co. fractured the locker room the day they named Losman the starter. It wasn't fair to JP, either. One of the dumbest personnel decisions in Bills history and that's saying something. Somewhere, Booth Lusteg smiled.

GO BILLS!!!