Bills' Fitzpatrick Ranks Poorly Under Pressure

The Buffalo Bills are all in on Ryan Fitzpatrick as their quarterback for the 2011 NFL season. But the writers at ProFootballFocus.com put together an interesting study in their review of the 2010 season, revealing that Ryan Fitzpatrick is among one of the worst starting quarterbacks in the league with pressure in his face.

http://wgr550.com/Bills--Fitzpatrick-Ranks-Poorly-Under-Pressure/9846589

heres the complete article:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/16/pressure-reveals/

Edited by papazoid

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Buffalo Bills are all in on Ryan Fitzpatrick as their quarterback for the 2011 NFL season. But the writers at ProFootballFocus.com put together an interesting study in their review of the 2010 season, revealing that Ryan Fitzpatrick is among one of the worst starting quarterbacks in the league with pressure in his face.

http://wgr550.com/Bills--Fitzpatrick-Ranks-Poorly-Under-Pressure/9846589

Cue the excuses...

Interesting read. Not really any surprises however. I also think after the first few games, D-coordinators also figured this out and

the scouting reports on him would say pretty much the same.

Good backup, not a starter.

Edited by SoCal-Surf

Cue the excuses...

I am righ twith you.

people on this board who think he is the solution are going to very upset next year. He is not a starting QB. He is good off the bench 'holding down the fort' so to speak. I dont blame them for not getting a qb early in this draft. But to think Fitz is a starting qb, much less a play off qb just show lack of knkowledge of the game.

Probably one of the dumbest articles I've seen. So Sanchez,Henne and Farve rank BELOW Fitzy. Fine. That means in the AFC East, only Brady is better. Whatever. Those stats are just crap to read while waiting for football to begin again. All I can tell you is when you get into the face of any QB they look really average. Brady, Marino, all of them. You pressure them and they don't look so great. This speaks more to our OL than anything else right now. It amuses me that so many on this board (and on this thread) get so high and mighty on "Fitz is not a franchise QB." So? He's better what was available to us in the Draft and Chan and Buddy will go get a guy who's better when and if they appear.

Probably one of the dumbest articles I've seen. So Sanchez,Henne and Farve rank BELOW Fitzy. Fine. That means in the AFC East, only Brady is better. Whatever. Those stats are just crap to read while waiting for football to begin again. All I can tell you is when you get into the face of any QB they look really average. Brady, Marino, all of them. You pressure them and they don't look so great. This speaks more to our OL than anything else right now. It amuses me that so many on this board (and on this thread) get so high and mighty on "Fitz is not a franchise QB." So? He's better what was available to us in the Draft and Chan and Buddy will go get a guy who's better when and if they appear.

This response is about what I expected...you state the obvious that all QB's stats are worse under the pressure while completely ignoring the actual point of the article to somehow dismiss its value. The article is about comparing all the QB's under the same pressure...and Fitz is among the worst in the league at it. So just stating the obvious that all QB's perform lower under pressure then without pressure does not dismiss Fitzs very poor performance in comparison to all the other QB's in the league under pressure. People like you like to dismiss facts and go with biased opinion, lol.

BREAKING NEWS: In the NFL QB's will be facing pressure a lot because thats what defenses do. If your QB can't handle that, then thats a problem.

Edited by Alphadawg7

This response is about what I expected...you state the obvious that all QB's stats are worse under the pressure while completely ignoring the actual point of the article to somehow dismiss its value. The article is about comparing all the QB's under the same pressure...and Fitz is among the worst in the league at it. So just stating the obvious that all QB's perform lower under pressure then without pressure does not dismiss Fitz very poor performance in comparison to all the other QB's in the league under pressure. People like you like to dismiss facts and go with biased opinion, lol.

BREAKING NEWS: In the NFL QB's will be facing pressure a lot because thats what defenses do.

+ 1

And, throwing in the O-line excuse, which again isn't the issue in the article as you said does compare the QBs when defense is in the backfield.

Interesting read. Not really any surprises however. I also think after the first few games, D-coordinators also figured this out and

the scouting reports on him would say pretty much the same.

Good backup, not a starter.

1,000,000% accurate!

Two things.....

- Take a look at his 3rd down completion percentage

- Now take a look at how our defense couldn't stop anybody and he was FORCED to take chances

This is complete hogwash......if people want to talk about how the ball will fall out of his hand sometimes when he passes...fine Im with you

If people want to talk about how he can be very inaccurate at times.....fine im with you

BUT

Fitz is a great pressure player....if only the rest of the players on the team would match it.

The grade is poor, but some of the percentages show exactly what Fitz is/does.

He has a low completion percentage when facing pressure, but also has one of the lowest sack percentages on the table. Also, his interception % when facing pressure is middle of the pack compared with other QBs.

This tells me Fitz gets the ball out when pressured without taking a loss and without creating turnovers. He makes the smart play and lives for another down.

I think these numbers show exactly what we thought of Fitz, he's an average QB with great intelligence.

I am righ twith you.

people on this board who think he is the solution are going to very upset next year. He is not a starting QB. He is good off the bench 'holding down the fort' so to speak. I dont blame them for not getting a qb early in this draft. But to think Fitz is a starting qb, much less a play off qb just show lack of knkowledge of the game.

Oh yes.....fans that root for Fitz have a complete lack of knowledge of the game....surrrrrre

- 3000 yard passer

- Led a 1st year starter to break Bill Brooks TD record

- Has complete control of the offense.....as shown in how when he wasn't playing the offense complete fell apart (did you SEE what happened when Brohm started?)

- Has the complete trust in his teamates....especially the starters which is where it counts the most

Fitzy will never be confused with Tom Brady, Payton Manning, etc etc etc but he is a good enough starting QB until we get our hands on a QB of the future....thank god the people that run this team recognize that reaching for a QB would have been a horrible mistake when they can draft quality defense to keep putting the ball back in Fitzy's hands.

Two things.....

- Take a look at his 3rd down completion percentage

- Now take a look at how our defense couldn't stop anybody and he was FORCED to take chances

This is complete hogwash......if people want to talk about how the ball will fall out of his hand sometimes when he passes...fine Im with you

If people want to talk about how he can be very inaccurate at times.....fine im with you

BUT

Fitz is a great pressure player....if only the rest of the players on the team would match it.

+10000 oh wait now that makes me a fitz apologist?

BUT

Really? Hmm, stats and results say otherwise, but if you say so enough it must be true right.

Edited by Alphadawg7

What this study doesn't capture is the difference in Edwards vs Fitzpatrick.

Plays that Fitzpatrick successfully executed the called play and was able to deliver the ball on time in an effective manor without giving the opposing defense time to put pressure on the QB as compared to plays where LOSSman\Post Concussion Edwards would stand there, deer in the headlights, until the opposing defense sacked them or they dumped off the ball under pressure.

It would be interesting to see number of "pressure plays" as a percentage of total passing plays comparing Edwards to Fitzpatrick in 2009 and 2010. Same O-Line, Same Skill players, but I expect that Edwards was "pressured" more often as a result of holding the ball too long.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Simple high school level logic-

fact: Fitzpatrick had an average to above average year statistically and

fact (according to this study): Fitzpatrick was among the worst in the league with pressure in his face,

then: Fitzpatrick must have not had that much pressure last year.

Something doesn't add up here...

Newsflash: Fitz isn't the longterm answer at QB, but you can only fix so much in one offseason.

As lacking as Fitz may be, I still think he is good enough to get a team into the playoffs (not prevent them from making it with a strong enough supporting cast). The front office properly focused on D in the draft when a longterm QB wasn't available and now next year they can go after a QB. I say Fitz should play two more years (2011 and 2012) and then hopefully you have someone like Barkley etc stepping in. In the meantime the Bills should get a better RT and solidify the line in front of Fitz as being better upfront helps everyone.

Really? Hmm, stats and results say otherwise, but if you say so enough it must be true right.

A few things

- Stats are for losers (not calling you a loser)

- Results are reflective of the TEAM.....you know...its a team game? Much like when a receiver drops a ball that hits him right in the mits or a running back misses his block forcing Fitz to throw early or move out of the pocket...you know? Stuff like that

- Nice of you to chop a piece out of my post.....it makes it so much better of an arguement for you

Look....put aside the friggen numbers for just a second please? The bottom line is WILL THESE OTHER PLAYERS PLAY FOR FITZ? He leads by example....he doesnt throw his team under the bus and admits when he made a mistake......he is a gutsy player who takes chances.....he puts his body on the line......and when you hear the rest of this of the offensive players talk they dont want anybody but Fitz behind center......he is the very definition of LEADER

And since we dont have a Tom Brady or Payton Manning on the roster.....why not get behind the guy? What choice do you have?