Breaking out CJ

I'm pretty sure the OP meant 1500 yards from scrimmage when he said all-purpose yards.

1500 yards for Spiller without including returns would be a huge season. I'd love to see it, but I wouldn't call it likely.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure the OP meant 1500 yards from scrimmage when he said all-purpose yards.

1500 yards for Spiller without including returns would be a huge season. I'd love to see it, but I wouldn't call it likely.

Theres a BIG difference between all purpose yds and yds from scrimmage for someone that returns kicks.. <_<

Edited by DreReed83

CJ needs to learn how to block or he won't see any increased time out there. They

need to bring in Thurman to teach him the finer points of picking up a blitz.

Yep! What he said... which was what I said... lol It's the truth he needs to block some. I am not saying be the best blocker out there but did you guys watch him try and block last year... wow it was bad.

Maybe he can add some weight... Like Lynch did that one year. Not saying it helped Lynch or Spiller should add that much just saying it can be done.

Again. He had 1600 plus ALL PURPOSE yds last year so I don't know why people are ecstatic about 1500 yds as if that would be accomplishment. People have such low standards of our team/players its getting ridiculous. People would be happy with an 8-8 record? People would be happy with CJ getting LESS yards than he had last year?

GET A CLUE.

Hey emoticon boy, did CJ not sign an autograph of something for you? Why the hostility? The board gets the diff between yards from scrimmage and all-purpose yards. We get what the OP was saying. You're the one just seething negativity about CJ. Jesus Beevis, calm the hell down and let the rest of us be upbeat on CJ's chances of breaking out this year. Is there an emoticon for a little cloud that cries...that's what you come off like.

Hey emoticon boy, did CJ not sign an autograph of something for you? Why the hostility? The board gets the diff between yards from scrimmage and all-purpose yards. We get what the OP was saying. You're the one just seething negativity about CJ. Jesus Beevis, calm the hell down and let the rest of us be upbeat on CJ's chances of breaking out this year. Is there an emoticon for a little cloud that cries...that's what you come off like.

Man are you in for a big thumbs down...

Spiller is 5'11" and a hair under 200 lbs (all of it heart and muscle).

I'm pulling for the kid, but I have my doubts about him being a running back at the NFL level.

But here is to hoping he can somehow manage to pull it off!

CJ needs to improve his pass blocking so he CAN be on the field more....which was the real issue last year

I'm pulling for the kid, but I have my doubts about him being a running back at the NFL level.

There is a RB with the Titans that might disagree with you

There have been plenty of successful RBs at his size. He needs to learn to block a bit better (not expecting him to be a tackle, but at least slow down a rusher), and he needs to see/hit the right hole. I think both things can be taught... so I have hope.

If he can get 550 yards rushing as a backup to freds 1200 and 650+ receiving yards it would be ok with me IF he can break some big plays in clutch moments. Yes he was drafted #9 overall, but I don't think he was drafted to be the workhorse. He was drafted to keep defenses honest and to break long TDs. Let's face it, Fred is the better back. He should be our workhorse and will most likely be our workhorse. 1200 yards from scrimmage and 7+ tds would be fine with me if he kept the defenses honest. People are too caught up in the fact that he was drafted so high. Yes, we'd like to have a 2000 yard from scrimmage year from him, but it's nearly impossible due to the guy that's ahead of him on the depth chart. I hope that he learns to pass block better as well as reading the holes better. That, along with a few gamebreaking tds would make me smile. Freds a stud, he's better thn CJ. Let's hope CJ plays a better complimentary role this year, and helps us win some more ball games.

Theres a BIG difference between all purpose yds and yds from scrimmage for someone that returns kicks.. <_<

Yes we know, that's why he made the statement the OP meant passing and receiving. Unless you honestly think he meant all purpose and that he hopes he has less yards this year? Can you really think that's what he meant? I think your just trying to nitpic to continue your negative rant.

I thought after Thurman's first year he was a much better pass blocker....I hope that CJ follows in his footsteps.

Come to think of it, you are right. Thurman was horrible his first year and then he really start laying some wood after that. I remember because it was such a shock to actually see him doing that. Maybe he was looking at the tape of previous games or coaching. Gailey said late last year that CJ was going to be a great back in this league and did not seem too worried about his first year performance. Maybe he's right.

Again. He had 1600 plus ALL PURPOSE yds last year so I don't know why people are ecstatic about 1500 yds as if that would be accomplishment. People have such low standards of our team/players its getting ridiculous. People would be happy with an 8-8 record? People would be happy with CJ getting LESS yards than he had last year?

GET A CLUE.

I think everyone including myself expects 1500 yards from scrimmage not all purpose yards which includes kick and punt return yardage

what does 5'11" and a hair under 200 lbs have to do with anything?

Thurman Thomas was maybe 5'10" and 190 LBs and was pretty good from what I remember

Edited by Max997

I don't think that CJ gets 1500 yards from scrimmage this year not only because we have Fred Jackson, but I think White is going to surprise some people as well. I do think CJ is improved, but not quite there yet. I do expect to see Fred being used less though to get these other guys involved. I think that it will be on a week to week basis, they will continue to give touches to the guy who is producing in each game.

HA! And he had no trouble hitting the hole without any protection

Nor did he have trouble hitting his nostril with powder

Anyone with half a brain would've realized instantly he meant yards from scrimmage, provided they're not playing dumb in an effort to highlight someone's mistake...

Edited by Big Bad Boone

Really?? In the NFL? How do you know this? Where did you see it?

The Guy runs a 4.28 40 which across the middle I'd like to see a linebacker keep up with that across half that distance.

Yes there is and yes i did mean from scrimmage but i hadn't had my second cup of coffee yet when i posted. Sorry guys.

He needs to run the football, and be an outlet for the QB, and pass block. If he can't do that, then the first round RB carousel will be turning again soon.

exactly

a really good inside runner can sometimes get away with crappy pass blocking because the defense usually has to key on the run when hes in there before they let loose with a pass rush

but if hes not a strong inside run threat AND he cant pass block they are simply going to prepare for a pass to him every time he comes into the game, making it very difficult for him to get decent catch chances

he needs to establish one or the other (inside running or pass blocking) before he will get steady playing time

with all that said, i think chan will have him ready and he will finally be a major force in this offense

I'm sure you GET the difference but that's not what was SAID by the OP.

SOOOO. Get a clue. :rolleyes::thumbdown:<_<:wallbash::nana::doh::bag: