Tyler Thigpen To Buffalo?

H2o

Billy Volek seems like a nice option to back up Fitz. Plenty of experience in different offenses, pretty good skill set, and could step in right away in the event of an injury.

Or as he is known to me, Billy Freaking Volek. Lost my damn fantasy football Super Bowl in 2004 because Billy Freaking Volek threw for 4 TDs and close to 500 yards in a meaningless game. :wallbash::censored:

Or as he is known to me, Billy Freaking Volek. Lost my damn fantasy football Super Bowl in 2004 because Billy Freaking Volek threw for 4 TDs and close to 500 yards in a meaningless game. :wallbash::censored:

Wow. I'm betting the guy who started him sends Volek a Christmas card every year.

Edited by H2o

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football?r=1

He did do well under Gailey in KC and I think he would definitely be a better option than Brohm.

That was 3 yrs ago! I haven't even heard that fossil's name in a couple of years..How old is he? I don't think I would like that maneuver at all..Maybe our true motive in bypassing Blaine Gabbert at #3 is that we saved a ton of $ CASH $ and we are once again trying to take the cheaper route to mediocrity? I sure hope not! It's pretty hard being a fan of Ralph's team, just like it was as a fan of Galasonio's Sabres!

One thing I've learned as a Buffalo fan is don't read into the hype of owners, General managers and coaches...when they say they want to bring a championship to Buffalo...We've heard it from Regis, Galisono, Ralph Wison, Buddy Nix, The Buffalo Braves front office back in the day, Jauron, and other Bills past coaches etc..Now of course Pegula, (who may be legit if it isn't a short lived prospect?). I've been slapped around and taking advantage of along with the rest of you fans...so when I'm told by Nix that we took the player we did in a draft or free agency..I just wonder is he talking out of both ends when stressing the point of the quality of the player they took while I'm thinking about the potential of the player they could have taken???

That being said I did agree with taken Marcell Dareus, but where I beg to differ is that I think there was a quality QB to be selected at pick #34 and we decided to go in a different direction. I think it would be cheaper to keep Ryan Fitzpatrick vice drafting and grooming a QB with pick #34. I not only think the Bills want to keep Fitzpatrick as the starter for this year, but I believe the Bills will re-sign Fitzpatrick for an additional 2-3 years with him being at the reigns of QB for the forseeable future!

I think Ryan Fitzpatrick is a good manager of the game who can help a team break even at 8-8 if surrounded by enough talent, but I don't think he is a player that can get you into the playoffs! If your motive is to fill the seats, give the Bills fans some hope, and keep the payroll very manageable without breaking the bank...then chasing a QB like T. Thigpen makes perfect sense and the dreams of tomorrow will be reflective of the decade prior filled with mediocrity and unrealized hope that has made a cynic of your best Bill's fans including myself!

Billy Volek seems like a nice option to back up Fitz. Plenty of experience in different offenses, pretty good skill set, and could step in right away in the event of an injury.

I liked him a few years ago..but what has he been doing? Has he been in a starter roll? Has he started any games while the featured QB was injured? I'm just curious as I don't know.

That was 3 yrs ago! I haven't even heard that fossil's name in a couple of years..How old is he? I don't think I would like that maneuver at all..Maybe our true motive in bypassing Blaine Gabbert at #3 is that we saved a ton of $ CASH $ and we are once again trying to take the cheaper route to mediocrity? I sure hope not! It's pretty hard being a fan of Ralph's team, just like it was as a fan of Galasonio's Sabres!

One thing I've learned as a Buffalo fan is don't read into the hype of owners, General managers and coaches...when they say they want to bring a championship to Buffalo...We've heard it from Regis, Galisono, Ralph Wison, Buddy Nix, The Buffalo Braves front office back in the day, Jauron, and other Bills past coaches etc..Now of course Pegula, (who may be legit if it isn't a short lived prospect?). I've been slapped around and taking advantage of along with the rest of you fans...so when I'm told by Nix that we took the player we did in a draft or free agency..I just wonder is he talking out of both ends when stressing the point of the quality of the player they took while I'm thinking about the potential of the player they could have taken???

That being said I did agree with taken Marcell Dareus, but where I beg to differ is that I think there was a quality QB to be selected at pick #34 and we decided to go in a different direction. I think it would be cheaper to keep Ryan Fitzpatrick vice drafting and grooming a QB with pick #34. I not only think the Bills want to keep Fitzpatrick as the starter for this year, but I believe the Bills will re-sign Fitzpatrick for an additional 2-3 years with him being at the reigns of QB for the forseeable future!

I think Ryan Fitzpatrick is a good manager of the game who can help a team break even at 8-8 if surrounded by enough talent, but I don't think he is a player that can get you into the playoffs! If your motive is to fill the seats, give the Bills fans some hope, and keep the payroll very manageable without breaking the bank...then chasing a QB like T. Thigpen makes perfect sense and the dreams of tomorrow will be reflective of the decade prior filled with mediocrity and unrealized hope that has made a cynic of your best Bill's fans including myself!

Tyler Thigpen is 27 but I cannot figure out how you managed to turn this into a "Ralph sucks" post.

That's just Joe Buscaglia's opinion on who we should pick up. Last time I checked, he's not someone who's worth going to when looking for Bills inside information. His opinion is worth about as much as any of ours.

Tyler Thigpen is 27 but I cannot figure out how you managed to turn this into a "Ralph sucks" post.

I like that he jumped there based off of speculation by some fans and a writer for rotoworld. Impressive stretch!

I think Levi Brown has a chance to be #2, especially if there's a pre-season for Chan to work with him. He might be a better option than all of these retreads. I'd like to see what he can do.

I guess I am uncommonly pessimistic about the Bills management and ownership to some degree...but, based on the past decade I think it's warranted. Buddy Nix has already stated that he doesn't go after big ticket free agents in free agency and sticks to marginal players to fill a hole. (Not a quote, but that was the general meaning of what he did say..)

Except for maybe the Redskins I've seen several big name free agents over the years really help a team get over the hump. All players cost a chunk of change but a good free agent is like a free draft pick in a way and may have the potential to be a big impact.I think if the Bills would pick up two higher profile free agents that are not pushing the age barrier like T.Owens...that they could get much better sooner rather than later. But, like Ownes the objective shouldn't be just to sign a big name to put people in the seats, but instead to make the team deeper and add real talent.

I do agree with the fundamental belief that you want to generally build your team around draft choices though. That is the exact reason why I would've liked for the Bills to draft a QB this past year instead of looking at T. Thigpen as a backup QB option. Actually the Bills should've probably done both things (drafting QB of future & pickup a free agent as well)..Whomever they thought was the Best QB of Kaepernick, Mallett, Dalton.

I usually hear that a QB takes at least a year or two to develop in the NFL. (Not a rule as there are exceptions, but generally)..I think what Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey said about drafting a QB before you actually need them is the smart thing to do! The Bills did not take that course of action though, and I think it is a mistake.

I am not saying at all that Ralph Wilson sucks as you put it. I am saying when it comes to spending a boatload of money (which he does!) That he often (or his GM's) puts the money in the wrong places, and in the wrong amounts. Some of the marginal free agents that they did acquire in the past several years were only marginal talent at best, and the Bills overpaid to get them when there were better options. They also have resigned players like Chris Kelsay and others and substantially overpaid while opting not to resign players of higher caliber when it was warranted: Antwoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Pat Williams, Jabari Greer, Leonhard, etc...(there are several others!). I cannot blame Buddy Nix for most of those mistakes considering he's time at his positon, but I can blame him for drafting C.J. Spiller who was not a good use of his first round selection in last year's NFL Draft. Instead we should've drafted a DT, or OT which would have put us further ahead this year, and just maybe we could've used our 1st round pick to select another position of need this year instead of selecting Dareus. (I do really like Dareus though!).

I do believe that the Bills (Ralph) sometimes thinks with his wallet when it comes to big paycheck players, and that includes his hirings of GM's, coaches, QB's etc...I think it would be foolish to say otherwise after the past decade or more of incompetence. Look at Greg Williams for instance...He was adamant about us drafting Drew Breeze, but the Bills braintrust (lol)..was smarter and would not have it! Time and time again Williams ideas were shot down and he told Breeze that he may see him at a future time...we know how that turned out and who has a ring!

I may take a kick in the head for this, but I think that good teams repeat themselves and generally are good or get good again fast, while poor teams with weak ownership and management keep finding themselves at ground zero! The examples are plentiful throughout the leaugue ie: New England, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, San Diego....etc..not every year is guaranteed for these teams to be good, but with GM's like Bill Polian etc..they spend the money in the right places, hire the right front office personnel, and make logical selections in the drafts and free agency. The bad teams always finds themselves at the bottom of the pile. Somehow, even with lower draft picks than the bad teams the good teams historically draft better! That is because they have great scouting teams, and winning philosophies that work well. (We do not!)Teams like Cincinatti, Seattle, Buffalo, Cleveland are usually bad to fair, but you can count on it that they will be back there again at ground zero soon as they generally are poorly run organizations from top to bottom!

So with history often repeating itself when do you think the Bills will see the playoffs again? Okay, better question is..When do you have realistic hope that the Bills have a reasonable chance of going to the Superbowl? (That is what they play for right?)..

Do you think Ryan Fitzpatrick will lead the Bills to the Superbowl this year? Next year? Year after? Okay that's probably a NO! So what about the playoffs? This year? NO...Next year? Probably not yet! WHEN? That's why we need to start developing our QB of the future NOW! (and Thigpen isn't him!)..

I'll leave you with one more thought as I know this is long and I could write about the Bills all day long (I have several kids and I squeeze everything in when I get the chance so please excuse me!)....If you take away Rothlesburger, Manning, Brady (who were all drafted by their teams!) And from day one you inserted a DT, or a CB, or a LB instead...Could you sit there and be confident that any one of those 3 teams would've won the Superbowl during the time frame these guys have been those teams QB's...(That would probably be a NO!)

That is how important it is to get a QB in the draft, and we passed on it for the hope that we may get one of the top 3 QB's in next years draft (which is far from a guarantee..) which sets us back another year ontop of the year or two developmental wait we will probably incur already! So now your looking at a 3 yr wait in all likelihood just to get off the ground and be realistic contenders!!!! Three years is about the extent of the time frame that Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey have to show strong playoff potential..Then it will be new coaches, and probably Doug Whaley starting the cycle of incompetence all over again like we have seen many times before! That's not saying anyone sucks! That's not being a unconditional optimist! That's being realistic, based on what I have seen, What I have heard, and what the Bills telegraph the future to be based on their personnel decisons!!! Just like my mutual funds..Past performance is no guarantee of future performance, but when comparing funds most everyone looks at the history of the fund when deciding the likelihood of future successes! :bag:

I guess I am uncommonly pessimistic about the Bills management and ownership to some degree...but, based on the past decade I think it's warranted. Buddy Nix has already stated that he doesn't go after big ticket free agents in free agency and sticks to marginal players to fill a hole. (Not a quote, but that was the general meaning of what he did say..)

Except for maybe the Redskins I've seen several big name free agents over the years really help a team get over the hump. All players cost a chunk of change but a good free agent is like a free draft pick in a way and may have the potential to be a big impact.I think if the Bills would pick up two higher profile free agents that are not pushing the age barrier like T.Owens...that they could get much better sooner rather than later. But, like Ownes the objective shouldn't be just to sign a big name to put people in the seats, but instead to make the team deeper and add real talent.

I do agree with the fundamental belief that you want to generally build your team around draft choices though. That is the exact reason why I would've liked for the Bills to draft a QB this past year instead of looking at T. Thigpen as a backup QB option. Actually the Bills should've probably done both things (drafting QB of future & pickup a free agent as well)..Whomever they thought was the Best QB of Kaepernick, Mallett, Dalton.

I usually hear that a QB takes at least a year or two to develop in the NFL. (Not a rule as there are exceptions, but generally)..I think what Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey said about drafting a QB before you actually need them is the smart thing to do! The Bills did not take that course of action though, and I think it is a mistake.

I am not saying at all that Ralph Wilson sucks as you put it. I am saying when it comes to spending a boatload of money (which he does!) That he often (or his GM's) puts the money in the wrong places, and in the wrong amounts. Some of the marginal free agents that they did acquire in the past several years were only marginal talent at best, and the Bills overpaid to get them when there were better options. They also have resigned players like Chris Kelsay and others and substantially overpaid while opting not to resign players of higher caliber when it was warranted: Antwoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Pat Williams, Jabari Greer, Leonhard, etc...(there are several others!). I cannot blame Buddy Nix for most of those mistakes considering he's time at his positon, but I can blame him for drafting C.J. Spiller who was not a good use of his first round selection in last year's NFL Draft. Instead we should've drafted a DT, or OT which would have put us further ahead this year, and just maybe we could've used our 1st round pick to select another position of need this year instead of selecting Dareus. (I do really like Dareus though!).

I do believe that the Bills (Ralph) sometimes thinks with his wallet when it comes to big paycheck players, and that includes his hirings of GM's, coaches, QB's etc...I think it would be foolish to say otherwise after the past decade or more of incompetence. Look at Greg Williams for instance...He was adamant about us drafting Drew Breeze, but the Bills braintrust (lol)..was smarter and would not have it! Time and time again Williams ideas were shot down and he told Breeze that he may see him at a future time...we know how that turned out and who has a ring!

I may take a kick in the head for this, but I think that good teams repeat themselves and generally are good or get good again fast, while poor teams with weak ownership and management keep finding themselves at ground zero! The examples are plentiful throughout the leaugue ie: New England, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, San Diego....etc..not every year is guaranteed for these teams to be good, but with GM's like Bill Polian etc..they spend the money in the right places, hire the right front office personnel, and make logical selections in the drafts and free agency. The bad teams always finds themselves at the bottom of the pile. Somehow, even with lower draft picks than the bad teams the good teams historically draft better! That is because they have great scouting teams, and winning philosophies that work well. (We do not!)Teams like Cincinatti, Seattle, Buffalo, Cleveland are usually bad to fair, but you can count on it that they will be back there again at ground zero soon as they generally are poorly run organizations from top to bottom!

So with history often repeating itself when do you think the Bills will see the playoffs again? Okay, better question is..When do you have realistic hope that the Bills have a reasonable chance of going to the Superbowl? (That is what they play for right?)..

Do you think Ryan Fitzpatrick will lead the Bills to the Superbowl this year? Next year? Year after? Okay that's probably a NO! So what about the playoffs? This year? NO...Next year? Probably not yet! WHEN? That's why we need to start developing our QB of the future NOW! (and Thigpen isn't him!)..

I'll leave you with one more thought as I know this is long and I could write about the Bills all day long (I have several kids and I squeeze everything in when I get the chance so please excuse me!)....If you take away Rothlesburger, Manning, Brady (who were all drafted by their teams!) And from day one you inserted a DT, or a CB, or a LB instead...Could you sit there and be confident that any one of those 3 teams would've won the Superbowl during the time frame these guys have been those teams QB's...(That would probably be a NO!)

That is how important it is to get a QB in the draft, and we passed on it for the hope that we may get one of the top 3 QB's in next years draft (which is far from a guarantee..) which sets us back another year ontop of the year or two developmental wait we will probably incur already! So now your looking at a 3 yr wait in all likelihood just to get off the ground and be realistic contenders!!!! Three years is about the extent of the time frame that Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey have to show strong playoff potential..Then it will be new coaches, and probably Doug Whaley starting the cycle of incompetence all over again like we have seen many times before! That's not saying anyone sucks! That's not being a unconditional optimist! That's being realistic, based on what I have seen, What I have heard, and what the Bills telegraph the future to be based on their personnel decisons!!! Just like my mutual funds..Past performance is no guarantee of future performance, but when comparing funds most everyone looks at the history of the fund when deciding the likelihood of future successes! :bag:

Which QB were the Bills supposed to draft this year, given who was available to them (so Newton is out) who is this 10-year franchise QB? Gabbert? Locker? Dalton? Ponder? Should the Bills ahve taken one of these guys at #3, when Dareus was on the board? When every one of the QBs drafted in the 1st round after Newton has been called a reach even at the lower places they were drafted?

The Bills reached to draft J.P. Losman in 2004. How did that work out?

Yes, we could really use a franchise QB. I'm not convinced there was one available in this draft. Of course, I have been wrong about a lot of things.

Maybe our true motive in bypassing Blaine Gabbert at #3 is that we saved a ton of $ CASH $ and we are once again trying to take the cheaper route

Just to clarify something for you, we aren't saving cash by passing on a QB in the 3rd spot. Regardless of what CBA/rookie wage scale they implement, the number 3 pick will get paid less than #2, and more than #4. If we drafted a kicker in that spot it wouldn't change the amount we have to pay him. Agents for first round picks argue position drafted, not athletic performance.