Torell Troup, Kellen Heard, Michael Jasper

If the OP was a Green Bay fan he would have written the same thing about BJ Ragi two years ago as he didn't do squat in his rook season and only came on in the middle of last season.

Wasn't aware that Raji was considered a reach, or scouted as lacking athleticism?

It's not so much that Troup didn't crack the starting lineup as that he seemed a bit of a "WTF?" reach, and they keep bringing in behemoths.

GB is my NFC team actually. 2009 benchmark draft for their D

Edited by Hopeful

The more good D linemen the Bills have the better. They're going to have to fight it out amongst themselves for playing time, which will only cause them to improve. Regarding Troup, I think he's still the NT when the Bills go with an odd front. If one of the really big guys develops into a rotational or depth player, then that's good. If he pushes or replaces Troup then that's good too. Competition is good.

First: Torrell Troup. Can anyone walk me through the logic on Bills picking him, and refresh my memory on who the available alternatives were?

He seemed at the time like drafting for need, not BPA.

Second: NT fans: Are we big enough yet? Last year, I kept hearing that Troup at 315 isn't big enough to play NT successfully. "Doesn't block enough daylight". Are we big enough yet?

Consider last April as Month One. In Month 5, we acquired Kellan Heard at 355 lbs. In this month (month 12), we took a gamble drafting Michael Jasper who as "shrunk down to nothing" at 375.

If we continue the present trend, next April we will be drafting a 525 lb nose tackle who has lost weight down to 447 lbs (no jive, folks, actual linear regression)

Third: does the acquisition of Heard and now Jasper indicate the Bills are not satisfied with Troup's development? Discuss, please?

RE = Marcell Dareus 325 (felt small so bulked up a bit :D )

NT = Michael Jasper 375 :o (what else can you say)

LE = Kellen Heard (of Buffaloes)355

:thumbsup:

As far as draft pick at Troup's spot #41; #42 Rob Gronkowski, yeah couldn't use a guy like him (and Had we picked Tebow at 9 we wouldn't have to worry about a Franchise QB next year and would finally make the playoffs this year.)#43 Sergio Kindle OLB Ravens, 51 Toby Gerhart RB Vikings, if we wanted a new best mode he was it, Peyton Hillis Jr.,#57 Terrence Cody NT Ravens, 360 Lbs real NT prospect.

For Jasper, saw the workout video. Super impressed.

then I saw the actual football playing video. Not so impressed.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/jasper-sizes-up-the-bills

Its him playing OG. He seems agile enough. But what worries me is the "gentle giant" thing. There are times when he could destroy a defender, but he merely turns the guy, or shoves him to the ground. In the NFL, you need to be an "angry giant." They are getting paid lots of money to go up against you, so have no mercy. Destroy !!

Wasn't aware that Raji was considered a reach, or scouted as lacking athleticism?

It's not so much that Troup didn't crack the starting lineup as that he seemed a bit of a "WTF?" reach, and they keep bringing in behemoths.

GB is my NFC team actually. 2009 benchmark draft for their D

So it would be better to have a consensus #1 pick that underperforms? We have a lot of them. Troup isn't a reach if he performs this year. My point was you're dumping on the guy for not being a star in year one. Nix knows more than you or I do about football and he likes what he saw in Troup. So let's see. That's how you build teams and assemble talent. You don't make a fuss over them not being all-pro as rooks. If Troup equal's Raji in his sophmore year it will be a second round pick equaling a first round pick so how is that a reach? I would suggest dimissing draft pundits and listen to the guys who know football.

Picks as late as Jasper are camp bodies. I wouldn't read too much into it

you draft the guy, you put ion the practice squad and hope he turns into a player in a year or two.

OMG the guys going off over a 7th round draft pick

RE = Marcell Dareus 325 (felt small so bulked up a bit :D )

NT = Michael Jasper 375 :o (what else can you say)

LE = Kellen Heard (of Buffaloes)355

:thumbsup:

gotta play goalline defense sometime

even a team as good as ours will face a 3rd and goal and 1 sometime during the season

Edited by KRT88

I think that a drafted player has a much better chance of making the roster then a undrafted one......

They know that this kid Jasper is a athletic freak for his size.....they want to see if the kid can actually play football?

This is the thing.....he could be a big for nothing (and this is no offense to the bills fan that knows him and is his friend.....mucho congrats on your friend being drafted both of you must be on cloud 9 I know I would be) but the fact is sometimes guys are athletic for their size but when they start getting pushed around by other football players things change. I am def rooting for him.

Troup is the guy everyone should be watching to see if he ends up being a serious player.......he is mobile, huge, strong, and getting bigger the right way now....at 330 pounds he should be an absolute beast. I forsee him getting a LOT more burn this next year and he will be in on def run downs and goal line......

His selection is similar to the UDFA signing of Peters. Huge men (Peters came out of college as a TE) with athleticism. One never knows. I like the pick, low risk, high possible reward even if the odds are against it, it was well worth the flyer on him.

If the OP was a Green Bay fan he would have written the same thing about BJ Ragi two years ago as he didn't do squat in his rook season and only came on in the middle of last season. Troup will be a force. Relax mister instant results.

This is America...everything should have already happened already

Looks like the only way to get past Jasper is fall to your knees and crawl between his legs and hope he doesn't sit on you. If he grasps the NFL playbook and can adapt to the NFL level of play this young man could be a huge steal. Very little risk and a huge upside if he pans out. How can you criticize that?

Give Troup this season to show what he can do along with Spiller and the other rookies. Please.

Depth was mentioned in an article on www.patspulpit.com as one of five reasons the Patriots will win the Superbowl this year, so it matters to others.

I still want to see if Levi Brown wins the backup QB slot when we get a couple other QB's in.

Picks as late as Jasper are camp bodies. I wouldn't read too much into it

I wouldn't be so quick to blow him off. There are nuggets to be had every year. You just have to polish them to gem quality. By all accounts this kid is not sloppy. He has a 32" verticle leap. That in itself I find amazing. Can you two hand dunk a basketball? He$$, I can't even touch the rim!!!I'm not claiming he is coming in to start but give the kid some credit. He is big, strong, and bright, with enough desire to lose about 75 lbs.

While that is true (ratio wise), Stevie J was a 7th rounder... just sayin'

And he was a flier, not an assumed filler of any hole.

I wouldn't be so quick to blow him off. There are nuggets to be had every year. You just have to polish them to gem quality. By all accounts this kid is not sloppy. He has a 32" verticle leap. That in itself I find amazing. Can you two hand dunk a basketball? He$$, I can't even touch the rim!!!I'm not claiming he is coming in to start but give the kid some credit. He is big, strong, and bright, with enough desire to lose about 75 lbs.

If it were that easy....

Odds are he's never had serious coaching or competition. How are his hands? Footwork? Will he grasp his role in complex schemes?

He is a freak for sure, but every year there seems to be some huge kid that can slam dunk, do backflips, run fast etc.... Very rare do they ever make a roster. Sometimes you find a Jason peters, but more often than not you find a bouncer for the club down the street from the stadium.

His selection is similar to the UDFA signing of Peters. Huge men (Peters came out of college as a TE) with athleticism. One never knows. I like the pick, low risk, high possible reward even if the odds are against it, it was well worth the flyer on him.

Agreed, it's a great investment. I'm just not spending my lotto winnings just cause I bought a ticket though. I'm optimistic but odds are it's atleast a full season before he's active on gameday. If he makes it to that point- anything will be possible and I think it'll be time to get excited.

So it would be better to have a consensus #1 pick that underperforms? We have a lot of them. Troup isn't a reach if he performs this year. My point was you're dumping on the guy for not being a star in year one. Nix knows more than you or I do about football and he likes what he saw in Troup. So let's see. That's how you build teams and assemble talent. You don't make a fuss over them not being all-pro as rooks. If Troup equal's Raji in his sophmore year it will be a second round pick equaling a first round pick so how is that a reach? I would suggest dimissing draft pundits and listen to the guys who know football.

*blink*

Exqueese me? Where is "consensus #1 pick" relevant here? None of these players were drafted in the 1st round. Where am I dumping on the guy for "not being a star"? Difference between "star" and "starter" even if they do contain 4 identical letters? And where is "being all pro as rooks" raised as an issue?

I like to talk football and welcome discussion/other viewpoints, but c'mon man -- start with what someone else actually said, don't set up a bunch of straw men and exaggerate what you're responding to.

That aint the way to have a talk, except with yourself

If Troup performs to equal Raji, everyone will proclaim him a steal and a sleeper. That's a Jasper-size "if" right there, sir.

I'm not alone in questioning the value and contribution of last year's class. In a talent-poor, rebuilding team, you really want the top 4-5 picks to contribute: challenge for starting roles, see the field regularly in situational roles.

We saw a bit of Troup and Carrington towards the end, and they looked OK - not stellar. When Edwards when down injured and with how Stroud was playing, I was surprised not to see more.

Historically, the Bills have gotten into trouble while drafting because they "reached" for "steals" and "sleepers" who might develop into "higher value" or who might completely bust, instead of choosing solid players widely recognized as BPA and with higher probability to develop into solid starters. One of the reasons I liked this year's draft so much is that the Bills appeared to move away from their old habits and go for the solid choice at least in the 1st 5 rounds. I don't give a crap if we're graded a C by ijits who are upset we didn't do what they think we ought to do. None of our players in the 1st 5 rounds was regarded as a big reach, that makes me happy.

Troup, on the other hand, was. So it's fair to ask if he's coming right along, or if the acquisition of Heard and Jasper means he's not quite showing what the Bills want to see?

I'm not concerned about "draft pundits", but people like Rick Gosselin who have solid info on actual NFL boards. Frankly, the Bills would be in much better shape if they had drafted according to Gosselin's top 100 for the last 10 years.

Heck, one could argue they'd be in better shape if they'd listened to draft pundits! :unsure: