Torell Troup, Kellen Heard, Michael Jasper

First: Torrell Troup. Can anyone walk me through the logic on Bills picking him, and refresh my memory on who the available alternatives were?

He seemed at the time like drafting for need, not BPA.

Second: NT fans: Are we big enough yet? Last year, I kept hearing that Troup at 315 isn't big enough to play NT successfully. "Doesn't block enough daylight". Are we big enough yet?

Consider last April as Month One. In Month 5, we acquired Kellan Heard at 355 lbs. In this month (month 12), we took a gamble drafting Michael Jasper who as "shrunk down to nothing" at 375.

If we continue the present trend, next April we will be drafting a 525 lb nose tackle who has lost weight down to 447 lbs (no jive, folks, actual linear regression)

Third: does the acquisition of Heard and now Jasper indicate the Bills are not satisfied with Troup's development? Discuss, please?

Picks as late as Jasper are camp bodies. I wouldn't read too much into it

While that is true (ratio wise), Stevie J was a 7th rounder... just sayin'

1. best player available at a position of need. It's not one or the other, it's the combination of both. CBS has him listed as their 66th overall player, he was selected at 41.

2. Getting there, there's no such thing as too big.

3. I find it hard to use undrafted guys taken from other teams practice squads and 7th round picks as proof of anything.

I think that a drafted player has a much better chance of making the roster then a undrafted one......

They know that this kid Jasper is a athletic freak for his size.....they want to see if the kid can actually play football?

This is the thing.....he could be a big for nothing (and this is no offense to the bills fan that knows him and is his friend.....mucho congrats on your friend being drafted both of you must be on cloud 9 I know I would be) but the fact is sometimes guys are athletic for their size but when they start getting pushed around by other football players things change. I am def rooting for him.

Troup is the guy everyone should be watching to see if he ends up being a serious player.......he is mobile, huge, strong, and getting bigger the right way now....at 330 pounds he should be an absolute beast. I forsee him getting a LOT more burn this next year and he will be in on def run downs and goal line......

Nix actually said that it was one of the scouts that convinced them on Jasper, he found him and followed him closely. 7th rounders may not have the best chance to work out, but they aren't just camp fodder. Usually they are guys that have some of the tools necessary and need some work. theres nothing wrong taking a chance on a guy of this size, and it doesn't mean they are down on Troupe

Picks as late as Jasper are camp bodies. I wouldn't read too much into it

+1, this is a guy who is a physical specimen, but has limited knowledge of football at best...This was a roll the dice pick.

Having said that, Troupe was a stretch, everyone other than the Bills thought that at the time. So far he has done next to nothing on the field...Kyle Williams is a beast, but he shouldn't be playing nose tacke, thats not his game and he should be at end, or a penetrating tackle in a 4-3. So the Bills still NEED a big guy for NT, unfortunately I think they will have to keep looking.

I don't understand this thread, let me try

1- they needed a NT, they drafted the guy they liked most. You want a walkthrough on why they drafted him? Read above. If you want to know who the other options were, it's not very hard to find a list. Google it, it'll take you about 1 minute.

2- what?

3- no. Heard and Jasper are intriguing talents. They want to see what they can bring to the table. If they suck, they will be cut. Just because we drafted troupe, doesn't mean that we can't take a look at other guys that play the same position. There's this thing called depth. It's a nice thing to have.

Geez

From what I've heard, Troupe has been a man possessed this offseason...working tirelessly in the gym on his core strength. I haven't seen any indication that the staff are not satisfied with his development...at least not yet.

1. best player available at a position of need. It's not one or the other, it's the combination of both. CBS has him listed as their 66th overall player, he was selected at 41.

2. Getting there, there's no such thing as too big.

3. I find it hard to use undrafted guys taken from other teams practice squads and 7th round picks as proof of anything.

GRJ I hear ya, but when you consider that really don't have a RT and Ziemba was still on the board why did we draft another CB?

I think I am right with the draft order, but I am going off of memory so I could be mistaken.

If the OP was a Green Bay fan he would have written the same thing about BJ Ragi two years ago as he didn't do squat in his rook season and only came on in the middle of last season. Troup will be a force. Relax mister instant results.

Edited by Green Lightning

GRJ I hear ya, but when you consider that really don't have a RT and Ziemba was still on the board why did we draft another CB?

I think I am right with the draft order, but I am going off of memory so I could be mistaken.

Cause Ziemba is going to have to play guard in the NFL, and may have a hard time doing that:

Ziemba's transition to an NFL-style offense might prove difficult. He will likely be asked to move inside to guard, where his straight-ahead power can be best utilized. However, given his frame, it remains to be seen if Ziemba can handle NFL pass protection duty inside, especially against some of the shorter, quicker one-gap NFL tackles.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1264629

The Bills had already drafted an RT in the 4th round. Also, I think things change a bit once the later rounds come, short term expectations are lowered for the pick. The Bills had a need for a 5th CB, I find it hard to believe you would draft an OT in the 7th round and expect him to challenge as a starter.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

I think that a drafted player has a much better chance of making the roster then a undrafted one......

They know that this kid Jasper is a athletic freak for his size.....they want to see if the kid can actually play football?

This is the thing.....he could be a big for nothing (and this is no offense to the bills fan that knows him and is his friend.....mucho congrats on your friend being drafted both of you must be on cloud 9 I know I would be) but the fact is sometimes guys are athletic for their size but when they start getting pushed around by other football players things change. I am def rooting for him.

Troup is the guy everyone should be watching to see if he ends up being a serious player.......he is mobile, huge, strong, and getting bigger the right way now....at 330 pounds he should be an absolute beast. I forsee him getting a LOT more burn this next year and he will be in on def run downs and goal line......

well said on troup he is working hard everyday and is going to be a beast :beer:

I didnt like the Troup selection at all, seemed like a complete reach by a team that needed a NT and missed out of the one they wanted (Williams)

I like everyone else am a big fan of Kyle Williams but he simply isnt a 3-4 NT and gets pushed around too much

Because they drafted that "another CB" in round 6? Really, after the 2nd,3rd or 4th round, they should be picking whomever

they think has an outside shot of being a decent backup and special teams player, regardless of position. Look back over

the last 10 years at the percentage of late-round draftees who have actually started any respectable number of games other

than because of horrible injuries in front of them. I don't think you will like the picture and it may cause you to say "hey, they

thought that the 5th round RB might be able to play a few snaps a game at RB and play special teams effectively - good pick

regardless of who was in front of them".

I didnt like the Troup selection at all, seemed like a complete reach by a team that needed a NT and missed out of the one they wanted (Williams)

I like everyone else am a big fan of Kyle Williams but he simply isnt a 3-4 NT and gets pushed around too much

You didn't like the "selection at all" based on what? Was it the web-sites and draft mags? Those sources don't spend 1/100th of the time

and energy scouting players that any NFL team does. If you didn't like the Troup selection, you didn't like the Pats' draft this year, either.

I,for one, am not going to criticize Bill Belichick and the Pats.

For those that are upset that the Bills "wasted a 5th round pick on a RB when it wasn't a need", guess you would've hated the Pats'

selection of Tom Brady in the 6th years ago. They already had Bledsoe, they didn't "need" a QB.

Looking strong and in pretty good shape for a NT!

I'd hate to p!ss him off. If he makes a big transition this year it will be huge, no pun intended. A big physical Troupe, Williams and Dareus should be able to make our LBs look great....if Troupe takes that big step. No reason to say he can't at 327lbs, if he adds 5 to 8 lbs he'd really a beast. Heard is a project, Jasper is even more of a project but maybe we found another Demetrius Bell / Jason Peters? Bring in Carrington when they go to a four man front with Troupe and Dareus in the middle...whoopee.