Walterfootball.com just killing the Bills for this draft.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, let's see what Walterfootball.com had to say about the quarterbacks that went in the first round after Buffalo's pick:

Locker at #8 - "Locker's accuracy is abysmal and his football IQ is pretty low"

Gabbert at #10 - "I think Gabbert will be OK. I like the fact that he can sit behind David Garrard for a year or two

Ponder at #12 - "A reach that would make Inspector Gadget proud"

Dalton at #35 - "received mixed reviews from the scouting community, so it remains to be seen how he'll perform"

Kaepernick at #36 - "may not start in 2011, but that's OK. He's a project

Mallett at #74 - "has JaMarcus Russell-like character concerns and a Byron Leftwich-like release. There's upside, but that's about it.":

Thanks for the LOL moment. So we fail the draft for not picking one of a number of QB they call reaches, mixed reviews, or projects?

Maybe this guy really does live in his Mom's basement.

Walter...Can we have your permission to draft someone who's great, please? Oh wait, we don't need your permission. Huh.

Actually it appears he is a failed Penn State comp. science major who also failed as a journalist then failed as a mortgage agent before making "WalterFootball" his livelihood.

Gotta love this line from his own bio:

"I was in way over my head and didn't understand the material."

Apparently, nothing's changed....

Is it just me, or does anyone else have the sense that "Walter" is some 25 year old virgin living with his mother? He sounds like some of the morons that post here.

I thought Walter was some old man..?

Whoever wrote this is an idiot and obviously hasn't watched a Bills game since 99.

Um, we gave up over 170yrds a game onthe ground. We got the best DL In the draft. Hands Down.

Fitz threw over 3k yrds and 24tds after missing 3 games last year. But I bet he says Aaron Rodgers is potentially the best QB In the league. Guess what... Fitz' stats were comparable over a 16 game stretch.

Um...... If anyone would have looked they would have seen that we are losing a starter on defense at SS and CB, and another DB for depth in Youboty. We drafted what were losing and that's a good thing. Williams will be better than Florence or Donte, whichever position he plays. And Searcy will most likely play SS in time after Williams gets good enough to start at CB, or when Wilson slows down.

Yeah, we have only 2 RBs on the roster you asshat!!!! The Pats picked 2 backs in the 2,3 rounds. And they already have like 6 on thief roster. Not to mention that CJ didn't do anything last year to warrant keeping a hefty role (not that I agree, just saying) and let's not forget about how Freddy is pushing 31 by th time the season starts.

The great giganto (Jasper) we picked up played OL and DL in college you pud! If you knew anything about football and the draft you would understand that late round picks are usually made for taking a shot on guys that are usually not that good or they would have been drafted earlier but are gigantos or superior athletes. If this guy has the drive to succeed in this league nobody is ever going to stop a 400lb DT or lineman.

Whoever wrote all this crap should end his/her life because they know absolutely nothing about football. Ok. I'm sure I'm just one of those fans you feel sorry about that doesn't know anything.

They lose a lot of credibility right at the top by knocking down the Dareus grade because it wasn't a QB. Good teams stay true to the board and don't pick for need. Everyone and their mother had Dareus ahead of Gabbert on their boards.

I get what they are saying to a point...Im darn glad for Dareus, but I think when the Bills were on the board with their second rounder they shouldve gone for a QB! I believe Colin kaepernick wouldve been the choice I would've made. They could've gotten right back to defense in the third and then a Offense tackle in the 4th and another defensive player without losing a beat!

I just don't get how they intend on carrying 4 QB's into camp without picking up two free agents. Unless they end up tendering an offer to B. Brohm and picking up one free agent. But, then you know they are not going to create a controversy by drafting someone to compete with Fitzpatrick as Chan Gailey has already assured Fitzpatrick that he is the annointed starter in 2011.

What that all equates to is that they will draft one middling free agent that is sub par to Fitzpatrick, and probably bring Brohm and Levi Brown into camp which isn't getting us anywhere fast. My concern is if Fitzpatrick gets injured prior to the season we are going to end up with someone else's hand-me-down QB that couldn't make it and lead the Bills right down the Johnny flusher and a 2-14 record!

So what's the upside of all of this? The good news is we should be one of 3 or 4 teams competing for the A. Luck sweepstakes! My only fear is that Bills will instead go with Barkley or a defensive player because they had them ranked higher on their board! or win a meaningless game at the end of the year against a playoff team that has nothing to gain except for resting their starters..and losing out on that precious first pick!

Walters is right that some of our picks our reaches...one of them isn't even in my draft manual at all..and another was predicted to be a priority free agent pick up! I like 3 of our picks and that's about it! There were opportunities to fill some of our needs with even more credible talent that was available. I would give our draft a C+ and that's only because we got Marcell Dareus. If it makes a differnce..I study the draft for about 6 months a year...have graphs, charts, mocks, and my own War room! The only picks that me and the Bills have agreed on regarding my present and past couple of years of mocks was..Byrd, Dareus, Levitre....If the Bills would've followed my mocks we'd have Ngata, Clay Matthews, B. Orakapo, Dareus, Kaepernick, and a couple of other good players...but yeah, I would've gotten burnt on Claussen as I would've taken him in the 2nd round last year!

I'm just glad they finally got the first pick right as that's a good step for this organization...and if we could ever string three or four good picks in a row we will finally be on the road to the playoffs!

But one thing to remember is that good organizations repeat themselves and bad organizations repeat themselves...their draft blunders, personnel blunders, etc...We should've gotten a QB at some point in the first 3 rounds! If you took a CB away from the Steelers, Colts, Patriots, Saints, Packers..recent Superbowl teams is it possible they might have still gone to the Superbowl? Probably! But if you took away Rothlesburger, Manning, Brady, Breeze, and Rodgers away from those teams and gave them a CB instead would have they been likely Superbowl participants? Probably Not....and that is just how important it is to have a franchise QB!!! Point made...

Edited by tonyjustbcuz

Please don't drive traffic to this guy's site, he intentionally gives harsh reviews for this sole purpose. He has no more football knowledge than any of the other 100,000 bloggers out there.

I wish these type of posts good or bad were just banned. Who cares what all these other people think? Odds are you have someone on this board who will say the same things.

Walterfootball is a terrible site. They think that simply by picking a QB in the first round he will turn into a "franchise QB." Total nonsense. The teams he cites, particularly the Steelers, went to the AFC Championship game multiple times with a average QB (Stewart) because they had a terrific defense. Gailey knows what he's doing. Walterfootball is garbage. We scored around 25 points on average last year, most teams would have gone at least 10-6 doing that. Our D was terrible. We drafted well.

You can not fix the team with one or two drafts. They went with players that the team needed. Went for talent. Were we supposed to draft a quarterback that was not worth it? Get serious.

I get what they are saying to a point...Im darn glad for Dareus, but I think when the Bills were on the board with their second rounder they shouldve gone for a QB! I believe Colin kaepernick wouldve been the choice I would've made.

Not to pick atcha, just wondering if you can explain what role you feel Kaepernick would fill for the Bills that would be worth a valuable high draft pick?

QB roles I see:

1) capable NFL starter

2) capable NFL backup

3) future of the Franchise (may be the same as 1 or 2 eg, Stafford, Bradford)

4) low-risk Dark Horse

I just don't get how they intend on carrying 4 QB's into camp without picking up two free agents.

My guess is they intend to try to sign a veteran FA who has shown himself a capable NFL starter (Matt Moore or Seneca Wallace would be my choice), and also bring in a "young gun" UDFA dark horse to compete with Levi Brown. Pat Devlin from Delaware would be my top choice there.

We should've gotten a QB at some point in the first 3 rounds! If you took a CB away from the Steelers, Colts, Patriots, Saints, Packers..recent Superbowl teams is it possible they might have still gone to the Superbowl? Probably! But if you took away Rothlesburger, Manning, Brady, Breeze, and Rodgers away from those teams and gave them a CB instead would have they been likely Superbowl participants? Probably Not....and that is just how important it is to have a franchise QB!!! Point made...

Actually, I must be missing your point here. Do you feel we failed to draft the next Big Ben, Manning, Brees, or Rodgers? Who was he, in this draft?

Brady was the late-round unpredictable "dark horse" and we still have a shot at the UDFA crop for that.

In the 2nd round if the Bills picked Dalton he'd B word they should of picked Kaepernick. If they chose Kaepernick he'd of said they should of picked Dalton.

Bottom line is the Walter site is a big steaming pile of cr*p and always has been. Don't waste your time trying to get any football insight there you're not going to find it. He takes shots at Buffalo all the time knowing that the Bills fan base is one of the more vocal out there and will flood his site and drive up his numbers. Don't play his game.

I am a bit surprised at just how bad they are killing the Bills. I understand some of the criticism but a lot of it also seems a bit over the top.

"Buffalo Bills (Last Year: 4-12) - Buy Tickets

2011 NFL Draft Grades:

Teams that draft well (i.e. Steelers, Packers, Colts) win Super Bowls. Teams that screw up in the NFL Draft every year never make the playoffs. Buffalo hasn't qualified for the postseason in more than a decade, and if you want to know why, all you have to do is look at how they draft.

The Bills screwed up yet again. How the hell did they come away from the 2011 NFL Draft without a quarterback? Ryan Fitzpatrick is not the answer. Every football person outside of Buffalo knows this, yet the Bills stubbornly continue to settle for mediocrity at the most important position in football.

I am not sure who or what this site is, but the two paragraphs are about as accurate as one can get when it comes to assessing the Buffalo Bills and the way they are operated. I have screamed over and over again exactly what I have bolded in the above article. Was our defense terrible, you betcha it was, it was ranked 28th in points scored against us in the entire NFL. But you know what, our offense was also ranked 28th in points scored, so it isn't like we have an explosive offense. Some clueless individuals will say "Well Fitz didn't play the first couple games", so check out the last couple games when he did play. If it wasn't for one half against the Bungals we might have been even lower in the Scoring Offense category. I won't go as far as saying the Bills screwed up the draft, if they attack free agency when and if it happens and hold a gun to Ralphy's head and make him open his checkbook. Even though I am not as high on him as alot of others are, maybe we need to look into trading for Kevin Kolb ourselves, he is much better than what we have, and at least has a chance to become a franchise type quarterback, and anyone with football knowledge knows Fitz will never be more than a really good backup. Even though player trades in the NFL aren't as common as in other sports, there is some recent history between the Bills and Eagles as far as trades (Jason Peters, Spikes). I don't agree with the article in that drafting Dareus cannot be graded an A because they didn't get a QB, they could have gotten on later than that, and Dareus on alot of boards was ranked as the top player in the draft, and unlike last year the Bills spent their first pick on a position of need.

That is a joke of a website, and even bigger joke of an "article". Is the guy a Jets fan? Pretty much every other review ranks this draft highly for the Bills for once. Not taking one of the ridiculously overrated QB's was one of my favorite things about this draft. We also got the single best player in the entire draft (Dareus)...IMO of course, and this is coming from a pure pessimist..

You can not fix the team with one or two drafts. They went with players that the team needed. Went for talent. Were we supposed to draft a quarterback that was not worth it? Get serious.

If you have a good front office, you can turn a bad team into a good team easily within a couple of years. The exception is when said front office has sucked at drafting for the better part of a decade and is even worse when it comes to FA signings.

The Bills screwed up yet again. How the hell did they come away from the 2011 NFL Draft without a quarterback? Ryan Fitzpatrick is not the answer. Every football person outside of Buffalo knows this, yet the Bills stubbornly continue to settle for mediocrity at the most important position in football.

Maybe this idiot doesn't realize the QB's in this years draft were mediocre at best?

These draft grades are bogus. The "expert" in the Washington Post gave the Bills one of the lowest grades too (like a C or C-). Basically after reading through them, it seems like NOT drafting a QB slants some writers towards the negative. This might actually be a good season to not have drafted a project QB anyway. If the lockout drifts into the early to mid-summer, the thinking is that rookie QB's will be useless since they will have had no OTA's, mini camp or live study sessions with coaches. Assuming it's a long lockout, It will be easier for defensive players to come in and contribute as rookies over some offensive positions which require more timing and play calling knowledge.

Edited by zow2