Round 5 (Pick 133): RB Johnny White - North Carolina

Acantha

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why did we pick a #3 RB with Marcus Cannon on the board? Cannon will have to sit this year out but is a 2nd round talent and could have been our RT of the future. Nope NE picks him and willl kill us in the future.

You're joking right?

why did we pick a #3 RB with Marcus Cannon on the board? Cannon will have to sit this year out but is a 2nd round talent and could have been our RT of the future. Nope NE picks him and willl kill us in the future.

Becauss we do not have a #3 running back and we need one? Because White just might be a good player?

Can we afford to have Cannon sit out a year? NE can but can we? We drafted Hairston this year in round 4 and Wang last year. Could be one of them steps up and takes the job.

Edited by Bob in STL

What happened to the kid who was tearing it up in training camp last year? Can't remember his name. Running back though.

Bell

We need another RB that's for sure. I was hoping we'd just re sign Bell and go with that. We also had a cat named Simpson last year in pre season that was no slouch either.

He reminds me a bit of Lynch - except he hits the hole and moves north/south a lot better. His highlight reel is nasty!

Johnny White does look a little Marshawn Lynch-esque. Looks like he wants to hit someone when he hits a hole.

I think you guys are maybe being misled by the hair…he doesn't look like Lynch at all to me…I could never figure out if Lynch had bad vision or poor instincts. Anyways Lynch always had a hard time finding the hole. Not this guy.

Johnny White, btw is the EXACT same size as Thurman Thomas…5'10" and 209 pounds. Maybe it's that he's wearing #34 but he runs like Thurman Thomas to my eye…not super fast or super strong…but good instincts and employs different running styles in different situations…also catches the ball real well like Thurman.

And btw, please don't accuse me of saying he's the 2nd coming of Thurman…just saying he reminds me of him.

The team needed a good 3rd running back for depth. It didn't need one in the earlier rounds but as a 5th round choice its not too shabby. Also supposedly this guy is good on special teams which we weren't that good on last season as well.

I hate this pick.

DJ Williams was the no brainer in the 5th and I was an advocate for not drafting a TE but picking one up in Free Agency but when the draft gods hand you a gift in 5th you take it.

Green Bay knows how to use the TE and will have some nice two TE sets with Finely and Williams.

I'll be watching DJ Williams for years thinking we could have had him for a 5th long after White is cut.

I hate the Searcy pick and this pick.

I also don't understand how Jason Pinkston was not BPA there.

This is a major reach, you can bring a 3rd RB in through FA and DJ Williams could have played Special Teams too.

Don't get me wrong overall the draft was good but making poor picks at 100 and 133 dropped turned from a Grand Slam to a triple.

I hate this pick.

DJ Williams was the no brainer in the 5th and I was an advocate for not drafting a TE but picking one up in Free Agency but when the draft gods hand you a gift in 5th you take it.

Green Bay knows how to use the TE and will have some nice two TE sets with Finely and Williams.

I'll be watching DJ Williams for years thinking we could have had him for a 5th long after White is cut.

I hate the Searcy pick and this pick.

I also don't understand how Jason Pinkston was not BPA there.

This is a major reach, you can bring a 3rd RB in through FA and DJ Williams could have played Special Teams too.

Don't get me wrong overall the draft was good but making poor picks at 100 and 133 dropped turned from a Grand Slam to a triple.

I didn't like this pick either. After watching him, I like him, but I still don't like the pick. Williams would have been a stellar pick, but he cant block for ****. I think that us passing on Williams, and every TE for that matter, is more of an endorsement of the faith our FO has in Chandler and Nelson. If we drafted williams, we would have 2 WR type TEs, where as they are strictly receivers and are inept in the running game. Either Nelson or Williams would've been cut, IMO.

We DO need another RB, but with other talented guys in the board, we should have waited. I think nix and gailey REALLY like this guy, hence the pick. Maybe they know something we dont know. I'm sure they do.

I didn't like this pick either. After watching him, I like him, but I still don't like the pick. Williams would have been a stellar pick, but he cant block for ****. I think that us passing on Williams, and every TE for that matter, is more of an endorsement of the faith our FO has in Chandler and Nelson. If we drafted williams, we would have 2 WR type TEs, where as they are strictly receivers and are inept in the running game. Either Nelson or Williams would've been cut, IMO.

We DO need another RB, but with other talented guys in the board, we should have waited. I think nix and gailey REALLY like this guy, hence the pick. Maybe they know something we dont know. I'm sure they do.

We do not at all need a skinny receiving TE who cannot block unless he is already a stud. We definitely need either a big TE who can block or catch or a mauler. There is no place on this team for DJ Williams. I would have liked Stocker perhaps. And at least Rudolph has the frame to get bigger and is a willing blocker who could get better. Nelson will be fine as the pass catching TE. We need a blocker or a guy who can block and catch, and there ain't many of them. Going after Boss or Zach Miller would be great, but I very much doubt they will put up the cash. IMO, it would be well spent, and Fitz would be so much better with a reliable TE, as would our WRs and RBs.

We do not at all need a skinny receiving TE who cannot block unless he is already a stud. We definitely need either a big TE who can block or catch or a mauler. There is no place on this team for DJ Williams. I would have liked Stocker perhaps. And at least Rudolph has the frame to get bigger and is a willing blocker who could get better. Nelson will be fine as the pass catching TE. We need a blocker or a guy who can block and catch, and there ain't many of them. Going after Boss or Zach Miller would be great, but I very much doubt they will put up the cash. IMO, it would be well spent, and Fitz would be so much better with a reliable TE, as would our WRs and RBs.

I agree completely. Like i said, if we would've drafted Williams, either he or Nelson would likely be cut. Theres no need to have 2 TEs that are basically WRs. If Williams was drafted, it would likely have meant that they have no hope for Nelson.

Jauron and Gailey both have had to use the TE for protecting the life and limb of the QB. As the O line improves, I fully expect Gailey will "know how to use the TE." And, if his headaches are under control, we already have a great TE on the roster in Nelson.

Is it a certainty that it is only this year? What if he never plays? You'd be posting about how dumb the front office if for drafting a player with cancer.

I just watched this highlight reel. It shows all of White's plays from a few games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6uR2827H8o&feature=related

He looks like he has great hands and runs with urgency, something that's been lacking from our last 3 "homerun hitters" (Spiller, Lynch, MGahee).

Edit: Crud, I see others already posted this. I followed a different link and liked this better the original one I checked out.

Edited by Matt in KC

I just watched this highlight reel. It shows all of White's plays from a few games.

youtube.com/watch?v=F6uR2827H8o&feature=related

He looks like he has great hands and runs with urgency, something that's been lacking from our last 3 "homerun hitters" (Spiller, Lynch, MGahee).

Edit: Crud, I see others already posted this. I followed a different link and liked this better the original one I checked out.

nice video. This kid looks like a contributor, if fred or cj go down. Finishes runs, good hands, tough and pretty well spoken. I listened to his phone interview, seems like a smart kid. He doesn't speak Mckelvbonics, the pick is growing on me. not saying much after a couple days, but I think we may have a pretty good #3 rb.

I really like this guy's running instincts. From the highlight reel around the 7:30 and 7:45 marks he immediately sees that there's no hole and cuts it outside for gains. Although it remains to be seen if he has the speed to do that in the NFL. His instincts also show around the 11:00 mark with the touchdown run. There's not much room there but he makes a couple of quick cuts to find his way into the endzone. He also seems to run tough for his size. I'm looking forward to see what he can do in the NFL.