Round 2 (Pick #34): CB Aaron Williams - University of Texas

SDS

If memory serves me straight, the Byrd pick was preceded by two big OLs. No?

There's no reasoning with the anti-DB crowd. As I said above, they seem to prefer eleven logan mankins's on one side and eleven casey hamptons on the other. They'll allow for a kicker and punter, but of course they can't be draft picks.

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belichick was on the radio today saying he had numerous inquiries about trading the pick. Am I out of line for assuming that we too could have easily had a trade down partner?

But of course, we absolutely HAD to have a corner (or is he a safety?).

Face it folks, we are cursed.

Yes, you're out of line.

First, you REALLY have to be trying hard to hate if you're going to believe ANYTHING Bill friggin Belichick says a couple hours before the draft starts and while he's trying to increase the value of his pick! Seriously, this is just over the top inane.

Second, IF teams were trying to jump up into that slot for a QB (what he said in his interview), they were trying to do so to jump the Bills who also had a need at that position. Those same calls wouldn't have been there. The teams that wanted QB's got them right after the Bills picked.

This isn't to say they had no opportunity to trade down, only that you're reason for thinking so is flawed. Also, assuming BB was telling the truth, the trades obviously weren't good enough to take, right? You don't take a bad trade down just so they can satisfy you're anti-CB obsession.

I wasn't ecstatic about the pick, but it WAS a need. It also got a lot better when they ended up getting the guy I wanted anyway in the third round. Bill, you're seriously out of line if you think that just because they took a CB in the second it somehow negates taking the best DL in the draft and one of the best LB's in the draft. But hey, just IMO.

Edited by Faustus

Yes, you're out of line.

First, you REALLY have to be trying hard to hate if you're going to believe ANYTHING Bill friggin Belichick says a couple hours before the draft starts and while he's trying to increase the value of his pick! Seriously, this is just over the top inane.

OK, we are taking 2 entirely different positions here, and that is some of what this board is for imo.

Do I believe that Belichick was fielding offers? Yes I do. He has a history of drafting some good players. Not the best ever mind you, but he has done it. Teams would want to move in front, and do every draft, no?

Now, let's switch to the Bills. Mike Williams was a #4. Donte Whitner an #8. Spiller a #9. McKelvin an #11. When did Lynch go, 13? Was Maybin an 11? Because of our idiotic draft history, we probably get less inquiries than the Pats, but I have a hard time believing that there were NO offers to trade down. The fact is that they must have really wanted a corner (safety?). One more stupid stop on the early pick defensive back merry go-round that has resulted in loss after loss and despair.

We play in the elements of WNY and need to have a running game. Imo it is unacceptable to have stumblebums playing OT with highly touted, under producing defensive backs soaking up an undue percentage of our draft resources and payroll.

Call me crazy.

I wasn't happy with this pick at first, with all of our needs I would have rather seen a LB taken. After a night to sleep on it and after seeing that we made a great pick with Sheppard in round 3, this was a good pick. It's not that we shouldn't have drafted a CB - I just didn't expect one so early, I saw some other needs such as LB, TE or possibly even Kaepernick (am not a Fitz hater or a Fitz is god fan) over it. After reading up about this kid, I think we made a great pick.

OK, we are taking 2 entirely different positions here, and that is some of what this board is for imo.

Do I believe that Belichick was fielding offers? Yes I do. He has a history of drafting some good players. Not the best ever mind you, but he has done it. Teams would want to move in front, and do every draft, no?

Now, let's switch to the Bills. Mike Williams was a #4. Donte Whitner an #8. Spiller a #9. McKelvin an #11. When did Lynch go, 13? Was Maybin an 11? Because of our idiotic draft history, we probably get less inquiries than the Pats, but I have a hard time believing that there were NO offers to trade down. The fact is that they must have really wanted a corner (safety?). One more stupid stop on the early pick defensive back merry go-round that has resulted in loss after loss and despair.

We play in the elements of WNY and need to have a running game. Imo it is unacceptable to have stumblebums playing OT with highly touted, under producing defensive backs soaking up an undue percentage of our draft resources and payroll.

Call me crazy.

Yeah, everyone on this board is well aware of your crusade. Really no reason to go into again. The fact that no matter who is else is taken you go off every time a DB is drafted is insane. Wood and Levitre brought in? Damn them for taking Byrd. Dareaus and Sheppard? Idiots for taking a DB.

Again, I'm not extremely excited about the pick, but saying it isn't a filled need is incorrect. I also think that he is better value than any of the remaining OT's. In fact, I don't think there was a starter left at OT at that point, so bringing in another wouldn't have upgraded the position at all. We definitely needed help at LB, and that was filled in the 3rd.

See, I can get over the fact that I didn't want a CB there and actually see the whole picture. That's the difference in our positions.

Yeah, everyone on this board is well aware of your crusade. Really no reason to go into again. The fact that no matter who is else is taken you go off every time a DB is drafted is insane. Wood and Levitre brought in? Damn them for taking Byrd. Dareaus and Sheppard? Idiots for taking a DB.

Again, I'm not extremely excited about the pick, but saying it isn't a filled need is incorrect. I also think that he is better value than any of the remaining OT's. In fact, I don't think there was a starter left at OT at that point, so bringing in another wouldn't have upgraded the position at all. We definitely needed help at LB, and that was filled in the 3rd.

See, I can get over the fact that I didn't want a CB there and actually see the whole picture. That's the difference in our positions.

There are holes on this roster everywhere.

While I would've liked to add a legit NFL OT at that spot, they also need to address a terrible defense and continue to bring in guys that can function in a 3-4 defense. In order to accomplish that, they do have to change out the secondary from the Tampa-2 parts Jauron left them with.

They really need LBs, and they look to have gotten a good one in the 3rd round. Again, I'd like to see a Sam backer so I don't have to see Kelsay's overtly spastic flailing and flopping, but you can't fix everything on this roster with 2 or 3 draft picks.

For a positive spin, suppose they honestly do feel good about some of the OL dumpster diving they did last year and that they can put together a functional line with the cast-offs and retreads they already have. Or, they could also try to address the OL in free agency, but let's hope they steer clear of trying to recycle the Raiders trash again. :devil:

Call me crazy.

Why do you keep bringing up Belichick? He has more of a hard on for DBs than Dick Jauron.

Call me crazy.

Thanks for the invite. I will call you crazy.

Why do you keep bringing up Belichick? He has more of a hard on for DBs than Dick Jauron.

Did all the haters miss that Belichik drafted a DB immediately before the Bills at 33?!?!? Like they couldnt use a LB or the like either?

Everyone needs to get over the Jauron Shell Shocked syndrome and understand that all teams draft DBs.

The TRICK from here on out is to have this new FO RE-SIGN our young DBs when its time to. Nix didnt let Greer walk, Jauron/Brandon did. If this FO re-signs McKelvin, Byrd, and now Williams, when it's time to then we're on the right track.

As it stood yesterday, DB was a huge need for us. Still kinda is since FA hasnt happened yet...

We still got a great LB in the 3rd. Go Bills!!

I'm fine with a DB, I just don't like Aaron Williams.

Couple of blurbs from scouts for those that are interested.

AARON WILLIAMS Texas 6-0 202 4.51 1-2

Third-year junior with four interceptions and six forced fumbles in 37 games (23 starts). "The teams that aren't real man-to-man and are more Cover 2 teams will like him," Cleveland GM Tom Heckert said. "He's a tough kid and a good athlete." Projected as a safety by several teams. "I could see that," one scout said. "He's kind of an instinctive guy. He can't cover yet, but athletically he's got it. His speed is OK. He needs to be more physical." Hails from Austin, Texas. "Really a smooth athlete with quick feet," another scout said. "Decent tackler. His ball skills need work. Misplays deep balls. Judgment on deep throws needs work. Competitive, and a good kid." Wonderlic of 17. "He's more finesse than physical," a third scout said. "But then again, Texas guys are pampered and can't fight through adversity. He's not a coward but he's not very physical."

Aaron Williams, Texas, 5-11 7/8, 204, Rounds 1/2: Strong, physical junior entry might end up at safety before long. “He could either be an average to good corner, or a very good safety,” one scout said. “That’s why he’ll end up moving to safety. The lack of top-end speed is going to hurt him at corner, but he has the ball skills to get away with that for a while.” Is entering the draft as a true junior, and as a starter the last two years had 20 passes defended and three interceptions. Showed his questionable long speed at the combine (4.55 seconds in the 40) but otherwise tested well – his 37½-inch vertical and 10-7 broad jump were among the top six defensive backs at the combine. “I don’t know if you’ll leave him on an island to play man up press coverage, I’m not sure he can do that,” another scout said. “But in some systems he doesn’t have to do that a lot. This guy will tackle, very good toughness, solid (special) teams player. The way he plays defense is smart.”
Edited by bouds

Yeah, I'm not too sure about him either. Based on what I've read, I want to compare him to Winfield (tough guy that can play the run, not super speedy but a good technician, good at breaking up passes, but not so much interceptions), but it doesn't sound like he can stick the way Winfield did. If he's able to stick with his man in the slot, I think it's a good pick. If he's getting beat on short routes, he'll have to move to safety and I'd have to say it's wasted pick.

Edited by Faustus

I don't understand the negative vibe on Williams. Because Donahoe, Levy and Jauron drafted DBs are you guys saying that Nix and Gaily should not?

All experts (working in the NFL that is) will tell you that the defensive secondary is critical in this league. The great New England Patriots consistently draft DB in the first three rounds, more so than the Bills.

You can find glowing reports on Williams too. There is no single concensus on this guy. The Bills love him and he is a Bill.

I also wanted to draft an OT in the second round but look at who was on the board and compare them to Williams. Williams was higher rated than any OT left on the board at the time of the Bills pick. Haven't we learned the hard way that drafting solely by position needs will get you in trouble. It is not like the Bills do not have numerous needs. This team can improve in every position.

Looking closely at the secondary you will see we need some help. Florence will be gone leaving the aging McGee and the inconsistent McKelvin. Whitner is likely to be gone too. This pick makes great sense as Williams can play corner, nickel back and safety.

Edited by Bob in STL

"...he's not very physical."

"Srong, physical junior"

The last line of the first blurb vs. the fisrt of the second. Just shows you the value of scout-FUD quotes when it comes to these draft publications...

I don't really like the pick because it's a DB on a team pretty good in the DB department. Sure we have a little need there, but no where near the need we do at LB or OL or even WR for that matter. Yeah Florence is a FA. Maybe we could resign him?

I am a fan of BPA and IF this guy is a better CB than any of the other guys available are at their position, then OK, good pick.

We'll just have to see when football starts if it does.

If we win 8 or more games this year it was a good draft. If not, I can seriously start to question it.

Go BILLS !!

I don't really like the pick because it's a DB on a team pretty good in the DB department. Sure we have a little need there, but no where near the need we do at LB or OL or even WR for that matter. Yeah Florence is a FA. Maybe we could resign him?

I am a fan of BPA and IF this guy is a better CB than any of the other guys available are at their position, then OK, good pick.

We'll just have to see when football starts if it does.

If we win 8 or more games this year it was a good draft. If not, I can seriously start to question it.

Go BILLS !!

So we have to win 4 more games immediately or this draft is already bad? 1 year is all you are going to give a draft to judge it?

So we have to win 4 more games immediately or this draft is already bad? 1 year is all you are going to give a draft to judge it?

Maybe. Didn't Nix say he needed to get starters in this draft?

But really, the 8 wins thing is for everything. Players, coaches, whatever. If we don't win at least 8 this year I'm calling the whole team out.

I'm tired of the losing. I think Coach Gailey knows too that he has to do much better than 4 wins to stay off the hot seat. He knows bills coaches historically are on a short leash.

Reporter asked Nix if the Bills had interest in Dowling, Nix replied, "Yeah, we liked him, but he wasn't there."

So I'm not getting where Williams is better than Dowling when Dowling's bigger, faster, and has more career interceptions. If anything they're even.

But then you watch Williams try and cover Blackmon, a physical beast, a WR he's likely to face in the NFL, and you come away completely unimpressed.

Edited by bouds