Bowers

I love the armchair doctors here talking about his degenerative bone-on-bone lack of cartilage cripple condition. Nobody here knows the extent of his injury. It is borderline. Some teams think there could be long-term risk, other teams have given him a clean bill of health. To call him damage goods with a knee that is "essentially shot" is funny.

True, nobody here knows but the knee condition has been followed closely since he had surgery and the reports about a degenerative condition first appeared after his medical retesting in Indianapolis. While the medical results haven't been released publicly, there is apparently enough league wide concern about the risks his condition represent. I feel badly for the kid.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is if he's there and we pass it will as bad as when we weren't even interested in Mike Vick.

I still don't want Mike Vick. But I do think that if the Bills like Bowers enough to take him at 34, I'd be happy.

Bowers will help us win games right now. He could also help immediately solve our problems stopping the run & getting to the QB, this is just a no-brainer (health willing).

Is Bowers ready to play "right now?" If not, when will he be ready? If he needs microfracture surgery that may be a little while. And once he's ready, how long does he have?

The sad fact is there are players available that can help us more "now" and in the future. He may slip into the fourth before someone takes a flier on him. I hope not for his sake but that knee is a big risk.

GO BILLS!!!

I absolutely live this guy. Tha is for the video Cotton. Males me love him even more. He sounds like a great locker room guy and is just nasty on the field.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Well, there has been a lot of "bone on bone" talk around here...

I think Bowers is made for a 4-3 defense. I thought he might be the sort of player you could stand up at OLB, but every scouting report I've read states that his strength is a down lineman. If we run the hybrid where we mix up the looks, that's fine, but if we're going to go 3-4 more often than not, there are better, healthier, more experienced choices to rush the passer.

Although Bowers is very intriguing as I thought he'd never be available at #34, his injury would make me pass, just as all the teams did in the first round. He's Andre Wadsworth v 2.0, and he and the team that drafts him will be damn fortunate to make it through the end of the first contract without half of that time not being spent on IR. A pass rusher is nothing with a wonky knee.

With your pick, you are really gambling on getting a year or two of great play out of him before things go down hill.

Is Bowers ready to play "right now?" If not, when will he be ready? If he needs microfracture surgery that may be a little while. And once he's ready, how long does he have?

The sad fact is there are players available that can help us more "now" and in the future. He may slip into the fourth before someone takes a flier on him. I hope not for his sake but that knee is a big risk.

GO BILLS!!!

Bowers was dominant in 2010, leading the FBS with 15.5 sacks - a school record for defensive linemen - and tying Purdue's Ryan Kerrigan for first with 26 tackles for loss. He was second on the team with 74 tackles and led the Tigers with 20 quarterback pressures despite often dealing with two or three offensive players trying to slow his pursuit. Bowers was the ACC defensive player of the year, won the Ted Hendricks Award as the nation's best defensive end, and the Nagurski Award as the country's top defensive player. He is dominant against the run, can use his power and athleticism to get to the passer, and is solid in pursuit.

After reading that, how did he play so well in 2010 ?? Was it an accident or was he dominant ?? Injuries / health are always in question in the NFL. I would just rather pay him 2nd round money just in case, versus first round like everyone else passed on.

Edited by Scrappy

I think Bowers is the pick.... They have a history of taking players with knee issues.... I just hope we get some hood strong years out of him...

I also think Bowers is the pick, but I don't get the "they have a history of taking players with knee issues" comment. "They" aren't here any more.

Im obviously intrigued by Bowers, but I just fear that his knee is bone on bone. I'd rather go for the solid starting type player in Akeem Ayers who stands a much better chance of being a long term answer

Bone on bone only means he will have early onset of arthritis in his knees. Having no meniscus does not affect performance. For proof, see Dwayne Wade, who has no meniscus in either knee.

ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen both confirm that Da'Quan Bowers' slide out of round one was due to the fact that last year's NCAA sacks leader will likely need more knee surgery.

"He's still got looseness in his MCL, and his PCL," reported Schefter. "Teams think he'll need (more) surgery." On Thursday, FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reported that Bowers has a "bone-on-bone" condition in his already surgically repaired knee, which sounds to us like microfracture is a definite possibility in the near future. Don't be surprised if Bowers continues to plummet today.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/203591/report-de-bowers-likely-needs-more-surgery