The bills would have likely taken Gabbert

NeverGiveUp concurs.

And as per usual, he is correct.

Yep. Just like the "the Bills tried to trade back into round 1 for Tebow" crap last year. :rolleyes:

Actually the Bills did want to trade back into the first for a guy Denver drafted last year.

But you're right, it wasn't Tebow. :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NeverGiveUp concurs. Gabbert was never considered by the Bills. He said the report is based on rumor.

PTR

PTR. You are right, I do concur with Simon. I didn't feel it was appropriate earlier, but I feel comfortable they liked Ponder better than Gabbert any way.

fwiw, this is flat out bull****.

Well to be fair Simon I'm sure you and NGU have better inside info than the rest of us, but they asked Buddy straight out had Dareus gone at #2 would QB have been a bigger part of the conversation at #3...Buddy said "yes"...Gabbert? Again Buddy says "yes." So that's all we have to go by from the outside looking in... B-)

I think everyone on this thread should go watch the press conference.

Personally I did not come to the conclusion that these articles have from the answer I heard from Nix. It's only clear about Gabbert because they asked about Gabbert, who else would have gotten strong consideration? Maybe Von Miller would have (he would have been available if Dareus was gone), but they never asked that question. What about Ponder? Fairley?

It seems like all the reporters got talking amongst themselves and came up with this conclusion, instead of thinking about the answer and the context

NeverGiveUp concurs. Gabbert was never considered by the Bills. He said the report is based on rumor.

PTR

I didn't buy it when I first read it. Sounds like the FO is still playing poker - if the quote is even accurate.

Somehow mysteriously, Gabbert flew up the draft chart rankings since the end of the bowl season, but before that, he was not anyone's choice for a top 5 player.

Without question, a porous defense was the Bills biggest issue. While Fitzpatrick doesn't have the level of prestige more recognizable QBs, his intelligence, leadership, and mobility make him far from being the weakest link on the squad. He played very well at times.

If Troup can develop into the playermaker he was expected to be, and Dareus comes on like gangbusters, we might finally have a defense that can get Fitz & Co back on the field to score point.

Would love to see them keep adding to the "D" with the 34th pick - maybe LB or another DL. Could translate into a quick turnaround for our defense.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/2011-nfl-draft

This was reported from an ESPN blog after a talk with Buddy Nix.

I don't really think they would have. I have felt over the past week or so, the Bills player rankings were the same way they were drafted. 1. Newton 2. Miller 3. Dareus. One of those three obviously were going to be available, so their pick would have been one of the three.

Well to be fair Simon I'm sure you and NGU have better inside info than the rest of us, but they asked Buddy straight out had Dareus gone at #2 would QB have been a bigger part of the conversation at #3...Buddy said "yes"...Gabbert? Again Buddy says "yes." So that's all we have to go by from the outside looking in... B-)

If you are going to extrapolate "would be a bigger part of the conversation" into Gabbert being the pick, then you must live and die by assumptions.

I don't buy it. Nevergiveup > ESPN

I don't buy it either. 1) Nevergiveup is better than ESPN everytime. 2) the Quote was that the Bills would "have considered an offensive player or QB like Gabbert." So, they would most likely have taken AJ Green. (see Nevergiveup).

PTR

Correct. From the transcript as reported by WGR:

On if there would have been more consideration if Dareus had gone No. 2 to go offensively or with QB Blaine Gabbert:

BN: Very likely, yea.

So, Buddy saying it's "very likely" they would have given "more consideration" to go "offensively or with QB Blaine Gabbert" was somehow twisted into, "we would have taken Gabbert."

More sloppy reporting.

Correct. From the transcript as reported by WGR:

On if there would have been more consideration if Dareus had gone No. 2 to go offensively or with QB Blaine Gabbert:

BN: Very likely, yea.

So, Buddy saying it's "very likely" they would have given "more consideration" to go "offensively or with QB Blaine Gabbert" was somehow twisted into, "we would have taken Gabbert."

More sloppy reporting.

This. +1

Say, when do the mods plan to initiate the feature that allows us to actually vote up a comment.

Fox Sports Radio yesterday during the draft also reported the Bills would have taken Cam Newton if available..the Von Miller ...than Dareus....went as planned for the first three. But if Newton was there the Bills were going to take him.

Which is pretty much exactly what NeverGiveUp said....he said, the Bills had Newton and Dareus as #1 & 2 on their board, but assumed both would be gone...in that case, they would have picked either Von Miller or AJ Green. Dareus was available to them, as it turned out!

If you are going to extrapolate "would be a bigger part of the conversation" into Gabbert being the pick, then you must live and die by assumptions.

That's not what I said...I'm not extrapolating anything...What the problem with some people around here? All I commented on was what was said in the Presser...That's it...No reading into anything...I could care less what anyone assumes from the comments...Some of Y'all are so busy being defensive and kissing butt about this QB stuff you can't even be civil...It makes me sick and is exactly what is wrong with this Board nowadays...The quality of individual Poster has dropped so dramatically around here over the past 10 years it's not even funny anymore... B-)

• 4 months later...

PTR. You are right, I do concur with Simon. I didn't feel it was appropriate earlier, but I feel comfortable they liked Ponder better than Gabbert any way.

well, that's interesting. i was told morning of the draft that the Bills draft order was:

1) Cam Newton.

2) Marcell Dareus.

3) tie: Von Miller and Blaine Gabbert. the stock on Miller was falling because the Bills had questions about Miller's size.

jw