Official Non-Bills Draft Thread

Kelvin Sheppard is a GREAT PICK, dont believe anyone who says otherwise. Solid LB that will be starting at ILB for us by the end of this season, if not Day 1. This has been our best draft (as far as getting quality prospects at value spots) in decades and we're only through round 3.

McShay said it best, when grading the drafts "it's easy to want to take a team that traded for multiple picks, but as far as the team who stayed put and drafted QUALITY player after QUALITY player, it was the Buffalo Bills"!!

Too bad McShay is the kiss of death, lol :P

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jt6 pack, just curious, why do you think Sheppard would have been there in the 4th round?

I noticed a bunch of drafting, esp. DL and OL, that did not accord with the order of the "experts" who expound to the fans.

Presumably, those teams scouts weight some factors differently or evaluate somewhat differently, and had those guys higher on their boards.

duh....he just "knows". :rolleyes:

We were on the A path until we whiffed on their little pet Shrpperd, who's 4.8 40 would have meant he was there in Rd 4.

Best draft goes to Saints

No one at the NFL/pro level echoes your sentiments. Even the hated Bruschi raves about this acquisition. Let's see, McShay/NFL greats vs. J-t-6-p.. Hmmmm who should I believe...:unsure:

Saints have had the most picks. Kinda makes 'Best draft' statement debatable as well.

WTF papazoid? How can you say the Pats (barf) had a good draft? They took the kid from LSU way too early and Mallett to sit behind Brady and hold a clip board. Not to mention a Oline kid who had a 3rd round grade. Detroit, Bucs, Bungals, and yes! I think the Bills have done the best so far in the draft. Why? They haven't reached at all this year on any of the players. They have sat back and let good players come to them. They are building there D like they should. # players that will make a impact year 1. LOVE IT! Trade Maybin for a water jug and some cups. then Moats can go after the QB'S on the outside.

They drafted the right position in Rd 3, but they took the wrong guy. How is taking a guy in rd 3 who would have been there in rd 4 a great move?

Youre too enamored with combine numbers and not looking at production and level of competition. Sheppard was a team leader for LSU, one of the top defensive programs in the country. He consistently produced and played at a high level against SEC opponents such as Alabama and Auburn (the last 2 National Champs, btw). He was FIRST TEAM All SEC. But keep talking about that 40 time since it means so much on the field... :rolleyes:

They drafted the right position in Rd 3, but they took the wrong guy. How is taking a guy in rd 3 who would have been there in rd 4 a great move?

Once you get to picks 60+ everybody's boards start diverging so much its impossible to know who would be there a round from now. If you like a guy take him - they liked him.

But hey, I guess they should listen to a guy who's read lots of mocks and obviously knows more than they do...

If you liked the position why not wait until you see the kid actually play instead of just reading about his 40 time?

I'm happy thus far. They're doing what they said they were going to do. Theyre drafting for Defense and trying to get bigger on defense. I think Dareus is going to be huge for us. We finally got the type of player the pats usually end up with, the kind that kills us twice a season for years...only its going to be our guy doing it to them! I like Williams and Sheppard too!

Having a good 40 time is meaningless if your not in the right place. Instincts count as much if not more for LB's. This guy is big, has a good feel for the game and is a natural leader. That is what you want in a inside LB.

I love the physical players and emotional leaders they are getting with Dareus and Scheppard, and the versatilty they are recieving with Dareus and Campbell. Not to mention it seems like Dareus and Scheppard want to become Bills and Campbell and Scheppard both sound pumped to be playing with Dareus which has to make you feel good about that pick,

Just for Joe_the_40_time:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1116449

Kelvin Sheppard, LSU, 6-2, 250, 3-4 A track star in high school, Sheppard was one of three linebackers from his team to go on to player Division I football. He wasn't able to show off his track speed at the combine due to a hamstring injury, but scouts know he wastes little time in getting to ball carriers.

I love the physical players and emotional leaders they are getting with Dareus and Scheppard, and the versatilty they are recieving with Dareus and Campbell. Not to mention it seems like Dareus and Scheppard want to become Bills and Campbell and Scheppard both sound pumped to be playing with Dareus which has to make you feel good about that pick,

Who is Campbell and there is no "c" in Sheppard. ;)

Because Mike Mayock said he was a 4th round prospect, and Mike Mayock is infallible.

I know right...

I absolutely LOVE Mayock...But he's not 100% Folks...None of these guys are...Even God himself...I mean Belichick ( ;) ) gets it wrong sometime...And Mayock was not necessarily negative about Sheppard, he simply said he had him a Round later...

The thing about Sheppard is, first and foremost, they had him at the Sr Bowl and he answered any questions they had about him going sideline to sideline...In fact it seems like, based on what Gailey said, he blew them away there...They obviously had no questions about his durability, Leadership capabilities, or overall athletic ability...They're looking for a Starting ILB in the 3-4 to plug in next to Poz...I think this Kid fits like a glove...I really do...I think he's got a darn good chance to start Week #1 and that's REALLY saying something for a 3rd Round Pick...In fact I think his chances to start are WAY better than Aaron Williams and they got Sheppard a Round later...I think the comparisons to Tally are actually pretty fair...I just don't see a downside to the Sheppard Pick...I REALLY like that Pick... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

How do you know he would've been there? Obviously our GM didn't think he would be or he wouldn't have taken him in round 3. You must have inside information that Nix doesn't have. I'll bet you talked to the other 31 teams that would've picked between our 3rd and 4th and asked them if they were going to take Shepp and they all said no.

We were on the A path until we whiffed on their little pet Shrpperd, who's 4.8 40 would have meant he was there in Rd 4.

Best draft goes to Saints

another message board GM who has no opinion of his own or never heard of the player and thinks he knows more about a player who nix scouted and who gailey coached in the senior bowl but what do they know.

good job all you did was repeat what you heard on espn when they said they thought he might have gone in the fourth,nice job.

the facts are he was the second rated ILB in the draft.

How do you know he would have been there in round 4. Can you see the future. Did you know Locker was going to be the 8th overall pick, or Ponder at 12, or Mallet at 70 something and in a Patiots uniform. Mallet will be kicking our butts in about 3 years. I am totally stoked about our draft so far. We are actually picking players from big programs that can play and are proven to play at a high level anginst the best college players in the land. I am so over Ohio State player and big 10 players overall (over rated). SEC and Big 12 are the cream of the crop. No Troy State player should ever be picked what 8th overall where we took Mckelvin what has he done. The only thing the big 10 produces is solid back-ups or role players. As for Sheppard he is a good pick. Yes maybe we could have taken him in round 4 but who knows. The only thing I know is he is a Bill and I like it.