Anyone Else Hear Jerry Sullivan on WGR Monday?

sven233

I know it is just Sullivan, but he made an interesting comment when he was on the radio Monday.

During his time, he brought up the Draft Luncheon that they had several days ago. He mentioned that after the main interview with Nix, that he talked to him and expounded on a question that was asked during the presser. During the interview, a question was answered by Nix stating something along the lines that they could tell you exactly who they are picking providing that they were guaranteed to know who the first 2 picks were. He said that since they couldn't tell you who was going in the first 2 picks, that they couldn't tell you who they were taking. At the time, this answer was pretty much left alone.

However, this is where Sullivan's comment got interesting. Sullivan mentioned that after the presser was over, they took that comment a little further. Jerry said it was asked of Nix that while Nix couldn't say they were taking without knowing who the first 2 picks are, they asked him if he could tell them who they would take if they knew that the first 2 picks did not contain a QB and Nix reportedly said YES!!!

Now, to me, that means 1 thing. They will take a QB at #3 if neither one is taken in the first 2 picks. There really is no other way to spin that answer.

Just thought that was kind of interesting. Sure, it could be a smokescreen. We all know that most info coming out of any team right now is a bunch of crap, but I thought that was interesting anyway. Personally I am hoping that some way.......somehow......Dareus falls into our laps at 3. I know it isn't likely, but that would be ideal!

Edited by sven233

I know it is just Sullivan, but he made an interesting comment when he was on the radio Monday.

During his time, he brought up the Draft Luncheon that they had several days ago. He mentioned that after the main interview with Nix, that he talked to him and expounded on a question that was asked during the presser. During the interview, a question was answered by Nix stating something along the lines that they could tell you exactly who they are picking providing that they were guaranteed to know who the first 2 picks were. He said that since they couldn't tell you who was going in the first 2 picks, that they couldn't tell you who they were taking. At the time, this answer was pretty much left alone.

However, this is where Sullivan's comment got interesting. Sullivan mentioned that after the presser was over, they took that comment a little further. Jerry said it was asked of Nix that while Nix couldn't say they were taking without knowing who the first 2 picks are, they asked him if he could tell them who they would take if they knew that the first 2 picks did not contain a QB and Nix reportedly said YES!!!

Now, to me, that means 1 thing. They will take a QB at #3 if neither one is taken in the first 2 picks. There really is no other way to spin that answer.

Just thought that was kind of interesting. Sure, it could be a smokescreen. We all know that most info coming out of any team right now is a bunch of crap, but I thought that was interesting anyway. Personally I am hoping that some way.......somehow......Dareus falls into our laps at 3. I know it isn't likely, but that would be ideal!

Pretty sure that is consistent with what everyone is saying. Newton, Dareus, or Miller, probably in that order. Don't think Gabbert is relevant to your story.

I'm not sure what it means. All that I know is that the way it was worded, Nix said that he COULD NOT tell us who they would draft without knowing who the first 2 picks are but he COULD tell us who the pick is if neither of the first 2 picks are a QB.

This could be interpreted in a couple ways, but if you look at this comment at face value, it looks like they would be leaning towards QB at 3 if neither the first 2 picks are a QB.

Don't really like this. Honestly, I would love to see Green, Newton, or Peterson go in the first 2 pick leaving Dareus sitting right there for us to plug in immediately for the next 10 years.

Don't see how you draw that conclusion at all.

If neither the 1st nor 2nd pick is a QB, then they'll have the pick of the litter at #3 of any QB. The only guarantee of which players will be available are the QBs.

Maybe it means they have a defensive player atop the board, so if 2 QB's go, they will pick their top player?

You've got it backwards, I think--- the Q posited to Nix was what if the first 2 picks go by and neither of them are QBs.

If neither the 1st nor 2nd pick is a QB, then they'll have the pick of the litter at #3 of any QB. The only guarantee of which players will be available are the QBs.

This year, the pick of the litter isn't all that special. Newton is a complete project who'll need 2 seasons minimum and Gabbert has too many negatives to be a top 3 pick. Of all the years to have a high pick and need a QB, this one isn't it.

This year, the pick of the litter isn't all that special. Newton is a complete project who'll need 2 seasons minimum and Gabbert has too many negatives to be a top 3 pick. Of all the years to have a high pick and need a QB, this one isn't it.

I agree. I just think that was the inference being made by Nix--- whether that reveals they're true intentions or not is up in the air.

Well... We could hope his athleticism translates ala VY with a winning season but he instead learns the passing game and leadership while developing into something Vince never did over those years.

I'm not sure what it means. All that I know is that the way it was worded, Nix said that he COULD NOT tell us who they would draft without knowing who the first 2 picks are but he COULD tell us who the pick is if neither of the first 2 picks are a QB.

This could be interpreted in a couple ways, but if you look at this comment at face value, it looks like they would be leaning towards QB at 3 if neither the first 2 picks are a QB.

Don't really like this. Honestly, I would love to see Green, Newton, or Peterson go in the first 2 pick leaving Dareus sitting right there for us to plug in immediately for the next 10 years.

That's no guarantee either. Glenn Dorsey was supposed to be a superstar. We can go down the list of defensive linemen who tanked. I love Dareus' game, but he's no layup. Neither is anyone else. So a team should take the player they feel confident in and has the highest upside in the long run if they pan out.

Honestly you are trying to find something to read in to. All that means is he knows who he would select NO MATTER WHO was taken at 1 and 2. You can put any position in to that sentence, instead of Quarterback, and still he would say yes.

I don't know if this is what Sullivan is talking about or if he asked a similar question later, but in the conference video on BuffaloBills.com

you can hear a reporter ask, "So, if you knew either of the first two picks was a QB, would you know who your pick was gonna be?" And Buddy answers,

"Yes, we would."

When I first heard that last week, I took it to mean they weren't looking for a QB at #3 because even if a QB was selected at 1 or 2, the Bills would still

know who they were picking (it wouldn't influence their decision). But, I guess it could mean they assume Cam will be taken, so they aren't

counting on him and are already planning to go elsewhere...or they know Gabbert isn't going at 1 or 2, so he'd still be there (although I really

don't think they're going Gabbert...especially after hearing from NGU).

Long story short you can probably read almost anything into these types of vague statements...I still hope it means they're going Defense though.

We'll know soon. Go Bills!

Well... We could hope his athleticism translates ala VY with a winning season but he instead learns the passing game and leadership while developing into something Vince never did over those years.

Option QBs never amount to anything in the NFL

I think there is. So no qb's are taken - and only two of the following are taken: Fairley, Dareus, or Von Miller - then the one not chosen will be our pick.

That given - only Buddy knows how much he thinks of Newton - I'm not sure it's enough to pass up any of the three I mentioned above - but it could be.

But like most here, I do believe that the #3 pick will be someone that Buddy believes will really help the Bills and contribute right away.

However your take is just as valid as mine - let's just hope the #3 pick will not be a bust - because there are no promises in the draft and anyone can be a bust - anyone. The NFL draft is a crap-shoot and always will be.

Honestly you are trying to find something to read in to. All that means is he knows who he would select NO MATTER WHO was taken at 1 and 2. You can put any position in to that sentence, instead of Quarterback, and still he would say yes.

I think you have it a little twisted.

If we assume that Nix is not lying, then it follows logically that he knows (1) that he would take a quarterback, and (2) he knows which quarterback.

If, by your reasoning, we said "Hey nix, what if the first 2 are not LINEBACKERS?" and he said "YES," then it means he doesnt care if they were quarterbacks or D-linemen or wide receivers, because if no linebackers are gone, he has a super easy decision (Von Miller). If, instead, he needed a follow-up like "is Newton one of the 2 non-linebackers gone?" then it means that Miller is not top on his board.

The point is that, if he doesnt need to know or care what was actually taken other than qb, regardless of position, then the qb position is top on his board. And he knows specifically which one it will be.

The position shows which position is #1 on his board, such that he wont care who or what goes before the #3 pick.

Edited by maddenboy

I think there is. So no qb's are taken - and only two of the following are taken: Fairley, Dareus, or Von Miller - then the one not chosen will be our pick.

The problem with your post is that the question from Sullivan to Nix, as I understand it, is really "can you tell me right now, days before the draft, exactly which name you will call if no qbs are taken?" . . . Its not "will you have an easy decision and follow your board if no qb is taken?"

If Nix doesnt need to know which names were called other than qb, it means that his #1 player will still be there, and he could have told Sullivan the name at that moment if he wanted to.

Edited by maddenboy

Everyone knows that I'm one of Fitzpatrick's hugest supporters here, but even I would be very excited if the Bills were to draft Newton. Why? Because I think Cam Newton paired with Chan Gailey is a game changer. The rules added to limit the hits on QBs alone will make Newton a tremendous threat, maybe the likes of which the NFL has ever seen.

If you're afraid he's got the right stuff, to my knowledge this guy went though through the most mid-season scrutiny of any college player yet still had 50 TDs (passes and rushing), won the national championship, and won the heisman trophy. People seem to forget what a microscope he was under. Think Mallet would have stood up to that? Gabbert? He had only 16 TDs so what was his excuse for pitiful numbers like that? Imagine if he was scrutinized on that level and yet produced only 16 TDs? He'd seriously be considered a failure like Locker currently is.

The Panthers passing on Newton just might be the Bills' fastest ticket to winning the Superbowl. If the Panthers pass on Newton, fasten your safety belts...