I just started and finished watching Breaking Bad

The Poojer

So, whoever sussed out from the 'shooting crew member' that Walt kills Skyler as the final scene was either full of stevestojan, an intentional misdirection for the fans that never happened, or an intentional misdirection by Gilligan and crew to shoot numerous scenes to throw off any leaks or find out leaks.

[tangent] In much the same way, the LOST production team filmed scenes of the S5 finale 'Jeremy Bentham' casket opening with Locke, Sawyer, Desmond, and I believe there was one other. Like a football coach with his playbook, you never reveal the ENTIRE story to any one of the players (except maybe the QB), because that information can then be used. Shakespeare would give his actors individually-produced scripts with only the last few words of the lead-in dialogue; giving actors the entire play would mean any one of them could go off on their own and exactly reproduce Shakepeare's play and keep all ticket money for himself. [/tangent]

Even after the reconnect and talking about the old RV (usually, there's laughter in reminiscences like this. Even in dark war recounts, there's moments of laughter at how absurd it was. There was no laughter here; it was like a completely soulless account), Jesse was probably half-sure that he was going to be whacked. I mean... once the 10 in prison were offed, he could probably put the pieces together that Mike was dead.

Great use of music in this ep. "Crystal Blue Persuasion" was a song that made me think of BB when I've heard in on the oldies station since I started, and it was used perfectly in the time-advance.

What do you want to bet that we see the next scene of this season's opener as the opener for next season?... and then go back and pick up the story from Hank sitting on the can. I predict the rest of the "52" and M-60 line won't be used until the series finale. Indeed, I think "52" is probably going to be the finale's title.

And yes, that inscription was something Hank had seen in Gayle's notebook, and that scene was when he showed it and asked Walt about the chemical equations.

Why Walt would leave that there... when the first scenes from this season besides the flash-forward were of Walt cleaning up after the Fring thing, tossing everything in a black garbage bag, including him suddenly remembering the lily-of-the-valley. The fatal flaw. He forgot one little thing. And Walt knows this. He knows that it's always that one little thing that you don't expect could be a problem that eventually becomes the thing that nails you. For as much as some here hate it, that's why he was so obsessive about that fly.

Edited by UConn James

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow. This episode further cemented the thought that this may be the best TV drama of all time. Sopranos is now second.

The opening references to "The Fly" episode really did foreshadow the events. It was in 'The Fly' that Walt came closest to confessing to Jesse about watching his girlfriend die. He also realized he should have been dead already from cancer. That episode was the first time Walt realized he was in serious transition. Tonight, the frequent glances of Walt in the mirror really underscored his struggle with coming face to face with who he had become. Walt laying on the CT scan and revolving drives home the idea of him coming "full circle" in his career as a meth cook and dealer. And the final distorted reflection from the smashed towel dispenser in the mens room really brought it home. I am elated that Walt 'found' himself and decided to get out. In some small way he has attempted to put Heisenberg in the rearview mirror and redeem himself.

Did not see that coming. Not even close. Fricken Gilligan.

As usual the cinematography and musical score were perfect. 'Start All Over Again' as the nine guys are getting whacked? 'Crystal Blue Persuasion' during the cook scenes with Todd as the shipments flew overseas? Hank gets the big break on the shitt*r? Are you kidding me?

Perfect television in every respect. Fricken' Gilligan.

I'm just glad he didn't have Walt Jr. stroll Holly right into the pool in that next to last scene.

Can't wait until next year. I gotta watch this episode again when it re-airs in ten minutes.

then you have never seen The Wire

1. The Wire (by leaps and bounds)

2. BB

3. Sopranos

sorry Hell on Wheels lovers, but it doesnt even sniff the big three, maybe in a couple more seasons, but as of now? no freaking way

So, whoever sussed out from the 'shooting crew member' that Walt kills Skyler as the final scene was either full of stevestojan, an intentional misdirection for the fans that never happened, or an intentional misdirection by Gilligan and crew to shoot numerous scenes to throw off any leaks or find out leaks.

[tangent] In much the same way, the LOST production team filmed scenes of the S5 finale 'Jeremy Bentham' casket opening with Locke, Sawyer, Desmond, and I believe there was one other. Like a football coach with his playbook, you never reveal the ENTIRE story to any one of the players (except maybe the QB), because that information can then be used. Shakespeare would give his actors individually-produced scripts with only the last few words of the lead-in dialogue; giving actors the entire play would mean any one of them could go off on their own and exactly reproduce Shakepeare's play and keep all ticket money for himself. [/tangent]

Even after the reconnect and talking about the old RV (usually, there's laughter in reminiscences like this. Even in dark war recounts, there's moments of laughter at how absurd it was. There was no laughter here; it was like a completely soulless account), Jesse was probably half-sure that he was going to be whacked. I mean... once the 10 in prison were offed, he could probably put the pieces together that Mike was dead.

Great use of music in this ep. "Crystal Blue Persuasion" was a song that made me think of BB when I've heard in on the oldies station since I started, and it was used perfectly in the time-advance.

What do you want to bet that we see the next scene of this season's opener as the opener for next season?... and then go back and pick up the story from Hank sitting on the can. I predict the rest of the "52" and M-60 line won't be used until the series finale. Indeed, I think "52" is probably going to be the finale's title.

And yes, that inscription was something Hank had seen in Gayle's notebook, and that scene was when he showed it and asked Walt about the chemical equations.

Why Walt would leave that there... when the first scenes from this season besides the flash-forward were of Walt cleaning up after the Fring thing, tossing everything in a black garbage bag, including him suddenly remembering the lily-of-the-valley. The fatal flaw. He forgot one little thing. And Walt knows this. He knows that it's always that one little thing that you don't expect could be a problem that eventually becomes the thing that nails you. For as much as some here hate it, that's why he was so obsessive about that fly.

:thumbsup: Agreed...it is such an obvious choice for this show, it is hard to believe they waited this long to use it. Love me some Tommy James & the Shondells.

Great finale...Walt learns the hard lesson, it seems, you can't just "leave it all behind" neatly. He wants out, and, it appears, Sklyar is happy and greatly relieved... but not only does Hank get a clue, but how can he put this whole multi-million (billion?), international opertation on the back burner without some blow-back.

My guess is that he is making peace with the people most important to him (Skylar, kids, Hank &Marie, Jesse) and will now attempt to disappear...he realizes there will be reprecussions, and will try to get as far away from home, and his family, as he can.

That was one stunnig bit of acting from Cranston last night (as always)...the scene where Lydia "works out" the deal with him was awesome. She just kind of pushed him into it, to save her own life (for now?)...he had intended to kill her...after she left the diner, that shot of Walt was the first time, in a while, we saw a sympathetic Walt. His face just said (without uttering a word) "what the hell did I just get myself into"...

And, for you fellow "Friday Night Lights" fans...#3 "FNL" cast member makes their appearence on "Breaking Bad"...ABQ is a long way from Dillon, Tx!

Thoughts on last night's finale...

http://www.entertain...g-over-all/2969

Thanks for reading, all. I'll be back with these next summer of course!

great read Sage....love the extra details/info you seek out and include (ex. walt whitmans poem) to really fill out the review....

whats your hunch on how Hank goes after Walt? - and do you really think that stack was 100 million?

great read Sage....love the extra details/info you seek out and include (ex. walt whitmans poem) to really fill out the review....

whats your hunch on how Hank goes after Walt? - and do you really think that stack was 100 million?

Thanks Paatmaann

Tough to say how much money it was, but it was enough to finally satiate Walt's hunger. As he stated, Grey Matter is now worth billions. Suffice it to say the pile of money was...a lot haha.

Hank's a smart guy. He knows this is a chess match and he knows the best thing he can do is to keep Walt unaware of his knowledge for the time being. That means keeping it secret from Marie, Walt Jr. and Skyler (ha!) too. He'll probably tell Gomez and they'll conduct an investigation on their own. We pretty much know that the government higher-ups would say "Ok, you have a book with a note in it. Get back to !@#$ing work."

Thanks Paatmaann

Tough to say how much money it was, but it was enough to finally satiate Walt's hunger. As he stated, Grey Matter is now worth billions. Suffice it to say the pile of money was...a lot haha.

Hank's a smart guy. He knows this is a chess match and he knows the best thing he can do is to keep Walt unaware of his knowledge for the time being. That means keeping it secret from Marie, Walt Jr. and Skyler (ha!) too. He'll probably tell Gomez and they'll conduct an investigation on their own. We pretty much know that the government higher-ups would say "Ok, you have a book with a note in it. Get back to !@#$ing work."

Only thing that surprised me a little bit, about Hanks revelation;

As AJ was surprised by Mike being a little sloppy in dealing with Walt, when he met his demise...I thought it was a little odd that Walt would leave that book lying around, as it directly links him to Gail Bodeker. It may seem far-fetched, but the whole time, Walt is keeping his secret from his DEA brother in-law, and his DEA brother in-law already made him aware of the "W.W." inscription he found in Gails' notebook. Walt, who was so meticulous as to stop production of meth, for a day (under a deadline) because there was a fly in the lab, wouldn't take this precaution? Walt has been so careful with everything else. Just a minor quibble...still loved it...

Does anyone else think that another aspect of the fly scene early on was how Walt was initially fixated on it as before, but this time he eventually disregarded it and sort of forgot about it? Not really a typical element of foreshadowing, but maybe sort of setting the stage in terms of how Walt's obsession over creating an empire has taken over to the point where some past obsessions have been pushed out of the way?

Only thing that surprised me a little bit, about Hanks revelation;

As AJ was surprised by Mike being a little sloppy in dealing with Walt, when he met his demise...I thought it was a little odd that Walt would leave that book lying around, as it directly links him to Gail Bodeker. It may seem far-fetched, but the whole time, Walt is keeping his secret from his DEA brother in-law, and his DEA brother in-law already made him aware of the "W.W." inscription he found in Gails' notebook. Walt, who was so meticulous as to stop production of meth, for a day (under a deadline) because there was a fly in the lab, wouldn't take this precaution? Walt has been so careful with everything else. Just a minor quibble...still loved it...

Maybe Skyler was reading it and Walt didn't realize. Or maybe Flynn went emo and left it there. :D

The point is solvent, though. You can be careful to the point of murdering 9 inmates and a book can take you down.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

I think it would be easy to forget about the book...it was years ago, and pretty minor as far as linking Walt to Gale (unless Hank finds it like he does) - when Walt does his cleaning hes obviously thinking about direct ties to the empire he has created, I could see the book easily being overlooked, I dont see it as a plot error personally

If Hank doesnt confront Walt and just decides to investigate, he wont find much if Walt is truly "out" - what can he do? follow him? conduct financial investigations? I dont see where Walt could get pinned down here...unless somehow Hank finds the storage container of money?

I think it would be easy to forget about the book... [b it was years ago [/b] and pretty minor as far as linking Walt to Gale (unless Hank finds it like he does) - when Walt does his cleaning hes obviously thinking about direct ties to the empire he has created, I could see the book easily being overlooked, I dont see it as a plot error personally

If Hank doesnt confront Walt and just decides to investigate, he wont find much if Walt is truly "out" - what can he do? follow him? conduct financial investigations? I dont see where Walt could get pinned down here...unless somehow Hank finds the storage container of money?

Not in the BB world. It's been less than a year.

I'm sure there's enough for Hank to suss up. He accepted things over the past six years because he didn't think Walt as the type i.e. the "gambling" money that paid for his physical therapy treatment, Skyler's behavior.... No doubt, Hank will play it cool and build his case. But he's gonna be thinking back and really kicking himself in the ass about everything.

Not as great a finale as half of Gus Fring's face getting blown off, but hey, it was a great set-up for what should be an awesome final mini-season.

Not in the BB world. It's been less than a year.

I'm sure there's enough for Hank to suss up. He accepted things over the past six years because he didn't think Walt as the type i.e. the "gambling" money that paid for his physical therapy treatment, Skyler's behavior.... No doubt, Hank will play it cool and build his case. But he's gonna be thinking back and really kicking himself in the ass about everything.

Not as great a finale as half of Gus Fring's face getting blown off, but hey, it was a great set-up for what should be an awesome final mini-season.

really only a year? I know this season has been like what, 4 months like in BB time? Was it really less than a years time since Jesse shot Gale? Wow, I guess I thought they offed Gale and cooked/work for Fring for a while before offing Fring..

really only a year? I know this season has been like what, 4 months like in BB time? Was it really less than a years time since Jesse shot Gale? Wow, I guess I thought they offed Gale and cooked/work for Fring for a while before offing Fring..

First episode of the series Walt turned 50. Then, a few weeks ago, they celebrated his 51st...we know this because of Skylars' "bacon celebration"...the enire series has taken place in a year, so far.

I don't see it as a "plot error", just a little out of character for Walt. If they had somehow shown Hank seeing Gale's transciption, way back, on his own, and making note of it, it would seem less remarkable that he discovers it now. But, that they actually made a point of him talking to Walt about it, and Hank asking him if he (Walter White) was the "W.W." in Gales' book (albeit in a joking manner), and Walts momentary discomfort were just a little out of tune, I think, Not a big deal...I sometimes wonder how long ahead they script these things...I really don't know. If they had been planning for this to be the way that Hank finds a link between Walt and Gale/Gus, it might have been handled a little more subtly. The Walt we know, would have destroyed that book the first chance he got, after that awkward conversation.

Perhaps we can chalk it up to another example of Walts' cockinesss and ego putting him in a compromised position,,.he has had a few of those moments with Hank along the way.

Like UConn James says, I think Hank wills start to add things up pretty quickly. He has made a few refernces to how much money Walt was spending (cars, watch, etc), and as I recall, he doesn't know that Walt and Sklar paid (or have been paying) his medical bills...that is a lot of dough for an ex-school teacher and the owner of a car wash that doesn't appear overly busy...

Edited by Buftex

Thanks Paatmaann

Sage, I've also really enjoyed your weekly breakdown of the show!

It's going to be hard to investigate Walt if he is truly out. What other evidence can Hank use to prove Walt is Heisenberg? My money is on Hank going after Skylar. She will crack in about 30 seconds. She knows all about the money, Jesse, Saul.

I really don't think that Hank would be able to let Walt walk away. It's going to destroy Hank's family, but Walt has done a lot to destroy Hank's life. Chasing Heisenberg has resulted in his being shot and being crippled. He also now knows that Walt got into the accident on purpose when they were going to the laundry. Plus Hank now realizes that the "monster" he has been chasing has been hiding under his nose the whole time. The betrayal has to be immense.

My money is on Walt figuring it out before Hank can get to him and grabs what money he can and run. We are already 3 months into year 52 so Walt only has 9 months left to grow his hair back in time for his 52nd birthday breakfast. I also don't think that the m60 is needed for Hank. More likely, he is arming up for Declan and the Phoenix mob or Todd's uncle and the Neo-Nazis.

My money is on Walt figuring it out before Hank can get to him and grabs what money he can and run. We are already 3 months into year 52 so Walt only has 9 months left to grow his hair back in time for his 52nd birthday breakfast. I also don't think that the m60 is needed for Hank. More likely, he is arming up for Declan and the Phoenix mob or Todd's uncle and the Neo-Nazis.

Maybe Walt rolls on everybody and spills the beans to Hank