Modrak - beyond "gag me with a spoon"

Modrak on draft

Beyond "gag me with a spoon" and right into "pitch me with a fork"

He gets a pass on Williams 'cuz he went where the "experts" said he should - no he doesn't, it's the scout's job to learn more than the media talking heads and do a better job evaluating talent

He doesn't know how much bad drafting contributes to the Bills bad teams

"if Modrak is going to get the blame for the early-round failures, he should get some appreciation for the later-round successes"

Um, there are late rounds in every draft for every team. We've had a number of pleasant developments in the later rounds, but you just have to look at our LB and etc compared to a team like the Steelers to say "we haven't hit often enough there, either."

I feel queasy, I really do

Sort of idiotic to be trumpeting about what a find John Wendling was when a team in your division drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round, isn't it?

The one part that should be true though is that they have to prove something this time around. The horse named "But I picked Donovan McNabb!" shouldn't be carrying Modrak any further, unless it is both of them to the glue factory.

Modrak says some "less-than-accountable" things in that piece but all of the objectionable statements cited in this thread come from the writer, Chuck Pollock.

But yes, Modrak is on borrowed time AND thin ice.

I guess he couldn't be any more honest about how much he's sucked without submitting his resignation and then committing hara-kiri as a way of making an honorable exit.

"if Modrak is going to get the blame for the early-round failures, he should get some appreciation for the later-round successes"

Um, there are late rounds in every draft for every team. We've had a number of pleasant developments in the later rounds, but you just have to look at our LB and etc compared to a team like the Steelers to say "we haven't hit often enough there, either."

This concept that finding a few late round guys who became marginal to above average starters makes up for 1st/2nd round busts is laughable. Yes, they found Kyle Williams and he partially makes up for the failure of John McCargo. But playoff caliber teams find a Williams in the 5th AND outstanding players in the first and second. It's why Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and New England are regularly in the post-season and Buffalo languishes in the doldrums with no elite talent. Rarely are teams finding elite players in rounds 4-7 or in UDFA. Buffalo has 1 Pro Bowl appearance out of their 10 1st/2nd round selections from 06-09. While the book isn't closed on the 09 class, that's an extremely poor record for a team that relies more heavily on the draft because of their market size.

I know Modrak would never admit how bad a job he has done, so we have to forgive him for trying to spread around the blame. But since he, Wilson and the execs have been continuosly present for several years where not a single elite player has been drafted in any round, it's hard to buy into well we have picked up some who are good. You can pick a few who are good by throwing darts at a list of names on a wall. But while we may have acquired a few players who would be starters on some other teams, that is not a performance that is acceptable. :wallbash:

Edited by BillsfaninFl

Only Ralph Wilson would keep someone like Modrak after so many years of complete failure, then again the Detroit Lions kept Matt Millen around for 7 years, and needed to go 0-16 before they finally fired him. Is that what it will take to get this man / scouting department replaced I wonder?

The owner open states that the team fails to win games because of the lack of talent, and yet he fails to change the man responsible for all those years of lack of talent. Clearly this franchise still needs change as I look at last years draft and have to think nobody became a starter from that draft class, the first round pick was supposed to make the O line block better... instead he made the bench shiner.

Why not give Modrak influence over scouting players picked from rounds 4-7, or 5-7. If he won't be fired, then demote his ass from having any say from rounds 1-3. I think the triad of Nix/Gailey/Whaley already know of Modrak's limitations in scouting though. Just a matter of time (hopefully not long) until his say doesn't hold much or any sway.

I know what you mean. Every team has a bad draft or two each decade. But looking at the Bills drafts, I can't say they've had anything above merely average.

To Modrak's credit, I don't get a sense that he's been the guy who pulled the trigger on the picks. I know with great certainty that Jauron was the one who insisted on Aaron Maybin, so he gets a pass there. But other than that, I question his ability to identify and then LOBBY for high-round picks. I don't get a sense that he's very effective in the draft room.

I do, however, get the sense that Buddy Nix knows what he's doing. He's been involved in some very good drafts over the years. I don't get the sense that he'd have traded a first rounder for Drew Bledsoe - especially to a division foe. I don't get the sense that he would have traded back up to get Losman or McCargo.

Modrak on draft

Beyond "gag me with a spoon" and right into "pitch me with a fork"

He gets a pass on Williams 'cuz he went where the "experts" said he should - no he doesn't, it's the scout's job to learn more than the media talking heads and do a better job evaluating talent

He doesn't know how much bad drafting contributes to the Bills bad teams

I feel queasy, I really do

I know what you mean. Every team has a bad draft or two each decade. But looking at the Bills drafts, I can't say they've had anything above merely average.

To Modrak's credit, I don't get a sense that he's been the guy who pulled the trigger on the picks. I know with great certainty that Jauron was the one who insisted on Aaron Maybin, so he gets a pass there. But other than that, I question his ability to identify and then LOBBY for high-round picks. I don't get a sense that he's very effective in the draft room.

I do, however, get the sense that Buddy Nix knows what he's doing. He's been involved in some very good drafts over the years. I don't get the sense that he'd have traded a first rounder for Drew Bledsoe - especially to a division foe. I don't get the sense that he would have traded back up to get Losman or McCargo.

inquiring minds want to know

who is your inside source that lays the blame for Maybin at the feet of DICK?

and how is it that both Modrak and Nix, the top talent evaluators, were both totally overruled on this selection?

a little too convenient to scapegoat the guy no longer here - with the survivors spinning the story in their favor

Modrak says some "less-than-accountable" things in that piece but all of the objectionable statements cited in this thread come from the writer, Chuck Pollock.

But yes, Modrak is on borrowed time AND thin ice.

I guess he couldn't be any more honest about how much he's sucked without submitting his resignation and then committing hara-kiri as a way of making an honorable exit.

Excellent points

I'm not about to defend the results of Buffalos drafts as the pitiful results speak for themselves. You do have to wonder though if Modrak has a say in the actual selection or if his role is simply to provide information. I would tend to believe that Donahue then Levy then Jauron had the authority to make the calls. Obviously RW fits in there somewhere.

Why not give Modrak influence over scouting players picked from rounds 4-7, or 5-7. If he won't be fired, then demote his ass from having any say from rounds 1-3. I think the triad of Nix/Gailey/Whaley already know of Modrak's limitations in scouting though. Just a matter of time (hopefully not long) until his say doesn't hold much or any sway.

Pils, the problem as I see it is: the draft decision makers must depend heavily on info from their scouts, as assembled and interpreted by Director of College Scouting, to make up their boards.

Garbage in, garbage out.

Per article cited, Modrak is very complimentary about his scouts:

Modrak added, “I think from a strictly homer point-of-view it’s the work and it’s the labor (of the scouts) that goes into it, and the detail that’s paid (to later-round picks).

That doesn’t say that other teams don’t do the same thing, but we have a good group.”

If they're getting it right in the later rounds because of effort and attention to detail, either their effort and attention are misplaced (not enough paid to early rounds) or something is really wrong.

Why does this set me off? I view good drafting/player acquisition as key to any chance the Bills could improve.

Player acquisition through trades and FA - looking iffy to me. They have picked up some decent players whose contributions have been limited by injury (Dwan Edwards), and who had that history, and a couple of grade A stinkers (Green most notable). If we can't do drafting, we can't do sh**

I don't want Modrak to publically flagellate himself

I do want to hear about SOME change in the scouting - more scouts, different scouts, different training for scouts, changing criteria - SOMETHING besides "we have a good group" and "We’ve done pretty well in the middle and at the end". Some reason to believe it will be different now.

OK, I'm gone.

So Modrak thinks its better to hit on a late round prospect every other year than hitting on your 1st round pick every year? he seems to imply that its their strategy to not spend a lot of time on 1st round prospects, and spend all their time on guys in the later rounds. well thats jsut stupid.

If I bought the team tomorrow I would demote/promote the current staff to only rounds 4-7, and hire an entire new team of scouts for rounds 1-7.

So Modrak thinks its better to hit on a late round prospect every other year than hitting on your 1st round pick every year? he seems to imply that its their strategy to not spend a lot of time on 1st round prospects, and spend all their time on guys in the later rounds. well thats jsut stupid.

If I bought the team tomorrow I would demote/promote the current staff to only rounds 4-7, and hire an entire new team of scouts for rounds 1-7.

:lol:

Not an inside source. It was Chris Brown. I emailed him about it and he answered. The email exchange was before DJ was fired, early in the 2009 season.

I understand the skepticism, I'd be skeptical myself.

inquiring minds want to know

who is your inside source that lays the blame for Maybin at the feet of DICK?

and how is it that both Modrak and Nix, the top talent evaluators, were both totally overruled on this selection?

a little too convenient to scapegoat the guy no longer here - with the survivors spinning the story in their favor

Not an inside source. It was Chris Brown. I emailed him about it and he answered. The email exchange was before DJ was fired, early in the 2009 season.

I understand the skepticism, I'd be skeptical myself.

Come on! It was Ralph who made the pick. ;)

Actually, not hard to believe. Jauron was given greater (final?) say on personnel matters with his contract extension.

I don't want Modrak to publically flagellate himself

I do want to hear about SOME change in the scouting - more scouts, different scouts, different training for scouts, changing criteria - SOMETHING besides "we have a good group" and "We’ve done pretty well in the middle and at the end". Some reason to believe it will be different now.

OK, I'm gone.

Makes one wonder why John Guy got the ax after the 2009 season and Modrak remained. Both were hired long ago by a GM who's not in the NFL. Both were promoted to VP after the 2008 season, and of course both had equally bad records in their side of the personnel house.

I get the impression the major reason Guy was fired was because fans had learned his name and knew how bad the pro personnel side of the house had been of late. Perhaps if enough people complain about Modrak, RW and his marketing people will sense an opportunity to satisfy the fan base by cutting the Director of Amateur Scouting.