Bound to get the TE position right

Add Luke Stocker of Tennessee to that list. This guy will be this year's Jason Whitten. I'm seeing him at the end of the second round, but if he makes it to three I'd go for him. We have too many other needs to go with him in the second, but he could be the answer to our problem, with the combination of size, speed to perhaps be an asset in the passing, pass-blocking and perhaps run-blocking game. He played in a mess at Tennessee and never got the chance to truly excel.

I'm taking two TE's from this draft, but with our other needs we'll have to take one late.

If I had to design the perfect storm, I would re-sign our CB’s and go 1-Miller OLB, 2-Mason Foster ILB, 3-DJ Williams TE (I doubt Stocker is there; Williams is a great guy with great skills), 4-Lee Ziemba RT, 4-Pernell McPhee DE, 5-Kenrick Ellis DT34, 6-Will Rackley OG, 7-Josh Thomas CB, and 7-Schuylar Oordt TE (will be on the starting day roster).

I would be very happy with astrobot's draft. Oordt is a big athletic small school TE, could be this years Kevin boss.

Miller may not be everyone's favorite choice but he is safe and will be productive.

I love the USC Jordan as well. He looked great in the combine drills and is a BBall player. With the success of those guys recently id like to add him (round 5 perhaps?). I also like Stocker a lot and heard Rudolf is good. I don’t think Gailey is a big TE guy though.

I would be very happy with astrobot's draft. Oordt is a big athletic small school TE, could be this years Kevin boss.

Miller may not be everyone's favorite choice but he is safe and will be productive.

Or we could, you know, sign the actual Kevin Boss in free agency and not have to say "could be."

(Despite the Giants' token tender, with four seasons, Boss will be an UFA when the new CBA is reached).

That Oordt fellow looks interesting as a late round pick. I'd take a chance on him.

My reasons for picking Oordt:

He had 1200 yards 12 TDs his senior year and averaged 20 ypc.--in only TEN games.

He was 2nd in the 3-cone (by .01).

Oordt started only 2 games his junior year but had better numbers than Gronkowski's 4 years COMBINED.

My reasons for picking Oordt:

He had 1200 yards 12 TDs his senior year and averaged 20 ypc.--in only TEN games.

He was 2nd in the 3-cone (by .01).

Oordt started only 2 games his junior year but had better numbers than Gronkowski's 4 years COMBINED.

Looks like he is a just a VERY tall WR, but if the kid can play in a 4 or 5 WR set, I'm all for it.

Late round picks, castoffs and UDFAs haven't been working out well for the Bills at TE.

The great Pete Metzelaars was a 3rd pick.

The ok, but often injured Jay Riemersma was a 7th rounder.

And it's been absolute desolation ever since.

If we don't draft Rudolph, Williams, or Stocker, we better spend some money at the position at FA. We need a blue chip at that position.

Please draft 0 TEs in this draft.

It takes TEs years to develop.

Get a TE in FA. There a ton of TEs in FA this year.

Use the 2,3,4, on LBs & RTs

No it doesn't.

The following guys were solid contibutors strating in their first or second years:

Clark, Heap, Zach Miller, Heath Miller, Keller, Olson, Daniels, Witten, Cooley, Pettigrew, Watson, Boss, Vernon Davis, Gresham, Winslow, Scaife, Gonzalez, Gates......even Tamme came off the bench and had great production. NE picked and started two TE rookies last year and they had 16 TDs between them.

We need a top TE.

No it doesn't.

The following guys were solid contibutors strating in their first or second years:

Clark(300,1TD), Heap (200, 1TD), Zach Miller, Heath Miller, Keller, Olson, Daniels, Witten(300, 1TD), Cooley, Pettigrew (300, 2TDs), Watson (16 yards, 0TDs), Boss (118, 2TDs), Vernon Davis (200, 3Tds), Gresham, Winslow(that's just either funny or cruel), Scaife (200, 2TDs), Gonzalez(300, 2TDs), Gates......even Tamme came off the bench and had great production. NE picked and started two TE rookies last year and they had 16 TDs between them.

We need a top TE.

Sorry if facts got in the way of you listing TEs but the truth is the payoff for a TE is down the road.

We need a TE in 2011. Not a 3rd round draft pick that is going to take time to develop.

We can get 300 yards and 3 TDs out of one of these FAs, no problem.

Zach Miller (OAK) – On your list

Marcedes Lewis (JAC) – I think he may have been "Franchised" if there is a "Franchise"

Owen Daniels, HOU – On your List

Kevin Boss, (NYG) - On Your list

Ben Patrick (ARZ)

Dante Rosario (CAR)

Jeff King (CAR)

Desmond Clark (CHI)

Reggie Kelly (CIN)

Alex Smith (CLE)

Leonard Pope (KC)

Joey Haynos (MIA)

David Thomas (NO)

Matt Spaeth (PIT)

Kris Wilson (SD)

Randy McMichael (SD)

Daniel Fells (STL)

John Gilmore (TB)

Bo Scaife (TEN) - On Your List

We have more pressing needs that adding another TE to this list:

Year Rnd Pick Pos

2009 4 121 Shawn Nelson TE

2008 4 132 Derek Fine TE

2007 7 222 Derek Schouman TE

2005 3 86 Kevin Everett TE

2004 4 109 Tim Euhus TE

BTW the book isn't written on Shawn Nelson. Since it does take time to learn the position, this could be the year it clicks for Nelson. He has shown some promise if he can stay healthy.

A TE needs to know pass blocking, run clocking, Route Running, hot reads, Check Down at an NFL level. All while getting use to the speed of the game. Its a big jump from College Ball TE to the NFL TE. If Tony Gonzalez couldn't do it in one year what makes you think Kyle Rudolph will be able to?

Edited by Why So Serious?

No it doesn't.

Clark, Heap, Zach Miller, Heath Miller, Keller, Olson, Daniels, Witten, Cooley, Pettigrew, Watson, Boss, Vernon Davis, Gresham, Winslow, Scaife, Gonzalez, Gates......even Tamme came off the bench and had great production. NE picked and started two TE rookies last year and they had 16 TDs between them.

We need a top TE.

This ^^^^^

Sooner or later.....

I like Jordan Cameron and Kyle Rudoplh..big and capable guys with blocking ability...and stretch the field speed

Wait a minute... There's a Cameron Jordan and a Jordan Cameron in the same draft? I hope the first one to get drafted has his name written directory style on the card. That should cause some confusion.

Sorry if facts got in the way of you listing TEs but the truth is the payoff for a TE is down the road.We need a TE in 2011. Not a 3rd round draft pick that is going to take time to develop.

We can get 300 yards and 3 TDs out of one of these FAs, no problem.

Zach Miller (OAK) – On your list

Marcedes Lewis (JAC) – I think he may have been "Franchised" if there is a "Franchise"

Owen Daniels, HOU – On your List

Kevin Boss, (NYG) - On Your list

Ben Patrick (ARZ)

Dante Rosario (CAR)

Jeff King (CAR)

Desmond Clark (CHI)

Reggie Kelly (CIN)

Alex Smith (CLE)

Leonard Pope (KC)

Joey Haynos (MIA)

David Thomas (NO)

Matt Spaeth (PIT)

Kris Wilson (SD)

Randy McMichael (SD)

Daniel Fells (STL)

John Gilmore (TB)

Bo Scaife (TEN) - On Your List

We have more pressing needs that adding another TE to this list:

Year Rnd Pick Pos

2009 4 121 Shawn Nelson TE

2008 4 132 Derek Fine TE

2007 7 222 Derek Schouman TE

2005 3 86 Kevin Everett TE

2004 4 109 Tim Euhus TE

BTW the book isn't written on Shawn Nelson. Since it does take time to learn the position, this could be the year it clicks for Nelson. He has shown some promise if he can stay healthy.

A TE needs to know pass blocking, run clocking, Route Running, hot reads, Check Down at an NFL level. All while getting use to the speed of the game. Its a big jump from College Ball TE to the NFL TE. If Tony Gonzalez couldn't do it in one year what makes you think Kyle Rudolph will be able to?

You've given no reason why my list is "incorrect". It's a "big jump" for any offensive rookie--what's the point of even mentioning it? Every one of the guys on that list (almost every starter in the NFL who wasn't drafted by the Bills) produced in their first or second year--it doesn't take "years" to payoff at TE--at least not for the rest of the league.

Sure, pick a FA on the list, the guys on my list look good to me. Or draft a good one, like other teams do.

Thing about that list...is that the majority of those guys are not late round lottery tickets. The top shelf on that list are second/third round picks.

Obviously looking for bargains in the 4th round isn't cutting it.

You've given no reason why my list is "incorrect". It's a "big jump" for any offensive rookie--what's the point of even mentioning it? Every one of the guys on that list (almost every starter in the NFL who wasn't drafted by the Bills) produced in their first or second year--it doesn't take "years" to payoff at TE--at least not for the rest of the league.

Sure, pick a FA on the list, the guys on my list look good to me. Or draft a good one, like other teams do.

Sure I did, I put their rookie year stats in parentheses.

I said first or second years. You even copied that in your reply.

What does that have to do with the TE position in 2011? We need a TE in 2011 and I showed you that drafting another TE in the long history of drafting TEs in Buffalo isn't likely going to fix that.

We can draft a TE in 2012 if Shawn Nelson doesn't pan out. LB and RT is a better use of the first 3 picks imo. Why bother drafting a TE in the forth?

Not to mention Stocker, DJ Williams, and Rudolph all have second round grades. So we're not even drafting a "top tier" TE we would be drafting a second tier TE.

Edited by Why So Serious?

What does that have to do with the TE position in 2011? We need a TE in 2011 and I showed you that drafting another TE in the long history of drafting TEs in Buffalo isn't likely going to fix that.

We can draft a TE in 2012 if Shawn Nelson doesn't pan out. LB and RT is a better use of the first 3 picks imo. Why bother drafting a TE in the forth?

Not to mention Stocker, DJ Williams, and Rudolph all have second round grades. So we're not even drafting a "top tier" TE we would be drafting a second tier TE.

I agree we need a top TE in 2011. I disagree (facts tell me too) that a newly drafted TE "takes years" to develop. The Bills couldn't spot a top TE prospect if he was mounted on Ralph Wilson's head--no one on the staff has the eye for this position.

They are not always found in the first rounds.

Maybe Shawn Nelson will finally become the TE he was supposed to be. ........it could happen right. :blink:

In between his incapacitating headaches you mean?

That's a guy who should retire for his own good.

Belicheat hasn't got your memo

Good play out of Hernandez (4th round) and Gronkowski (2nd round) for NE last year.

Not to say that they can't get better of course, which is not a prospect I like to contemplate

It's a deep draft for TE, and value right through RD6 where the Bills could select Schuyler Oordt. New England is right; rookie TE's can contribute right away (Hernandez, Gronkowski). I'd still recommend a 3rd Rounder, be it . No news is bad news on Shawn Nelson's migraines.

Sooner or later.....

I like Jordan Cameron and Kyle Rudoplh..big and capable guys with blocking ability...and stretch the field speed

Are we bound to get any position right?

Late round picks, castoffs and UDFAs haven't been working out well for the Bills at TE.

The great Pete Metzelaars was a 3rd pick.

The ok, but often injured Jay Riemersma was a 7th rounder.

And it's been absolute desolation ever since.

If we don't draft Rudolph, Williams, or Stocker, we better spend some money at the position at FA. We need a blue chip at that position.

this :thumbsup:

Get a TE in FA. There a ton of TEs in FA this year.

Use the 2,3,4, on LBs & RTs

Years to develop? Keller, Whitten, Shockey, Gates, etc. I can't buy that part of the argument. Getting one who can run and pass block well and be a major receiver would be a HUGE lift to this offense.