Nix and Modrak Address Media

I dont think Nix is all that into the whole mind games of draft day. Last year he said he wanted a small scatback. And we got Spiller.

For once, they are truly in a position to bluff. The Cards are desperate for a QB. I hope that's who the Bills are baiting. Work that poker face, Buddy. Either swap spots with AZ, or Dareus does fall to us, if AZ swaps with Denver. Most would be happy with accumulating draft picks by trading down.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think Nix is all that into the whole mind games of draft day. Last year he said he wanted a small scatback. And we got Spiller.

Maybe that is the mind game he is playing or setting up. He told the truth last year when he took an RB when they had two former starter RBs in house. So perhaps for sure he isn't lying when he talks up taking a QB when neither of the two best are likely to be productive QBs next year.

Or so we think?

The key to the entire NFL draft and trading generally is to learn to fake sincerity.

Interesting that he thinks there will be a record number of QBs taken in the first round. IIRC the six QBs taken in round 1 of the '83 draft is the record? What six QBs strike him as first round talents this year I wonder. Once I get past Newton, Gabbert, and possibly Mallet, I'm stuck. Are Locker, Kaepernick, and Ponder moving that far up? I just don't see them.

GO BILLS!!!

Interesting that he thinks there will be a record number of QBs taken in the first round. IIRC the six QBs taken in round 1 of the '83 draft is the record? What six QBs strike him as first round talents this year I wonder. Once I get past Newton, Gabbert, and possibly Mallet, I'm stuck. Are Locker, Kaepernick, and Ponder moving that far up? I just don't see them.

GO BILLS!!!

I have heard prognostications where Ponder, Kaepernick, and even Dalton could be targeted in the late first round.

GO BILLS!!!

Best guess - - Nix is thinking that Cincy and AZ might not be willing to part with the draft picks necessary to either trade up to #2 (letting Dareus fall to us) or trade up to #3 (letting us still get a stud front 7 guy), especially if Cincy and AZ think that they can still get a serviceable QB prospect near the top of round 2. But if he can make Cincy and AZ believe that ALL of the top 6 QBs are off the board by then, they are more likely to trade up to #2 or #3.

Less likely possibility - - Ralph has told Nix to take a QB at #3 and Nix has already come up with rational-sounding explanation for why he didn't go front 7 defender at #3 and then pick a QB at #34.

I really hope it's the Cincy/AZ bluff theory.

I have heard prognostications where Ponder, Kaepernick, and even Dalton could be targeted in the late first round.

This is one of the wackiest draft years ever. Plus it can't be a comfortable proposition for all these teams to select all these QBs in the first round and then have to retard their development because of the lock out.

I wouldn't mind trading back into the first to grab Kaepernick, though. He seems like the type of talent and smarts that Gailey would like to design an offense around.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe I'm a poor poker player, but here is something I don't get: wouldn't the reason to bluff about our interest in Gabbert be to induce the Cardinals (or someone else) to trade up IN FRONT of our pick? If the Cardinals think we're serious on Gabbert, why would they think we'd deal them our pick so they could take him??

Maybe I'm a poor poker player, but here is something I don't get: wouldn't the reason to bluff about our interest in Gabbert be to induce the Cardinals (or someone else) to trade up IN FRONT of our pick? If the Cardinals think we're serious on Gabbert, why would they think we'd deal them our pick so they could take him??

Perhaps, they might be thinking that they could give us an offer that we couldn't refuse...even if we really were interested in Gabbert.

The point isn't to get another team to want to trade up to our pick (why would they do that), it's to get them to trade with Denver so a guy like Dareus falls to us. I'm not one of those people that think Nix is blowing smoke. I do believe that he really likes Gabbert and that he may actually be the pick.

Sounds like Batten to ILB is legit. I figured it was just "cross-training"...

On how playing in a 3-4 defense changes how you look at prospects:

BN: Its a lot and I think thats a big part of what we do is project a guy to a different position, somewhere he hadnt played. A good example of that is (Arthur) Moats who played with his hand on the ground all of his career. And then (Danny) Batten a guy that were going to be putting inside at linebacker. Again, youre depending on experience and what youve seen in the past, but thats where we spend a lot of our time.

Edited by dgrid

Sounds like Batten to ILB is legit. I figured it was just "crosas-training"...

On how playing in a 3-4 defense changes how you look at prospects:

BN: It’s a lot and I think that’s a big part of what we do is project a guy to a different position, somewhere he hadn’t played. A good example of that is (Arthur) Moats who played with his hand on the ground all of his career. And then (Danny) Batten a guy that we’re going to be putting inside at linebacker. Again, you’re depending on experience and what you’ve seen in the past, but that’s where we spend a lot of our time.

Ever since getting injured, Batten has been studying and learning to make the transition to ILB. He attended every meeting during the season. I think he'll be a legit player for us at LB next season.

The point isn't to get another team to want to trade up to our pick (why would they do that), it's to get them to trade with Denver so a guy like Dareus falls to us. I'm not one of those people that think Nix is blowing smoke. I do believe that he really likes Gabbert and that he may actually be the pick.

:thumbsup:

That would be awesome. I'd be thrilled to have Dareus or Gabbert.

If Nix and Gailey are truly high on Gabbert he will be the Pick...Period, end of story...They're not going to Draft any Defensive Player ahead of a QB they think will be a Franchise guy in a year or two...

If the Bills pass on Gabbert, they simply don't think he's going to be a Franchise guy...Assuming Newton and Dareus are gone, if Miller is the pick, we'll all know exactly what they really think about Gabbert... B-)

As one who believes that a pock of either Gabbert or Newton would likely be a disaster for us, my hope is that what the Bills are doing from Nix talking about a record number of teams wanting to go QB in the first round and Mr. Ralph saying he wanted a QB is to create a potential run on the position which will benefit the Bills,

Namely, lets say that NC takes either Gabbert or Newton. There appears to be a general agreement that these two are the class of the QB crop and that the others are a step down but potential 1st round talent.

Now if you are below the Bills you are in a quandary. One of the 2 best QBs are gone and the Bills have made noises that they make take the other. If you really want one of the two best QBs you now must trade up to the #2 slot as some propose leaving Dareus as a "booby| prize of the best defender in the draft or maybe you trade with the Bills to get then to forgo this other QB in exchange for extra picks and flip-flopping firsts.

I think either of these two outcomes and in particular the latter if we get a second high quality pick are great way for us to go.

I think this team needs the addition of at least 4 quality players to be adequate this year. The quality of drafted players (the only real source for new additions in the current labor dispute) night extend down to the third round to get reasonable contributions only because we pick so early each round. Getting three contributing players from even our first three picks would be quite fortunate and getting four contributors from three choices simply cannot happen.

We really need to trade down for another second to have any hopes of adequacy,

Maybe Nix wants Cinci or Arizona to think he's really high on Gabbert to get them to trade up for him?

This could be quite possible and would make sense since everyone knows they covet a QB too and would be smart by us that if we were leaning another direction to hint we wanted a QB to get these guys to bite and still get our guy.

Although, like Nix said, I think its quite possible we could see at least 4 maybe even 6 or 7 QB's go before we pick again in the 2nd. So they may feel they need to take one at #3 as they may not have a shot of getting one they covet in the 2nd.

Edited by Alphadawg7

GO BILLS!!!

If you go by the idea that everyone is going to jump on qbs --

1)newton - panthers

2)Gabbert -- buff, cinci, arizona

3)locker - washington, vikings

4)mallet - vikings, miami

5)ponder

6)kap

7)dalton

5, 6, 7 can all be whoever loses out in the top ten moving up, or a team like the vikings falling back. could also be a team like the 49ers that i left off the list figuring that they would miss out on the top two, and it was too early for the next set. jacksonville could surprise someone with a young qb. i would even say a team like indy might start planning for the future but they probably would have wanted to sign payton before they made a move like that.

all that said, i think that the wealth of similarly rated qbs make teams more willing to wait. i think you see 3 in the first, 3 in the second and one of those guys fall to the edge of the 2nd/3rd

This could be quite possible and would make sense since everyone knows they covet a QB too and would be smart by us that if we were leaning another direction to hint we wanted a QB to get these guys to bite and still get our guy.

Although, like Nix said, I think its quite possible we could see at least 4 maybe even 6 or 7 QB's go before we pick again in the 2nd. So they may feel they need to take one at #3 as they may not have a shot of getting one they covet in the 2nd.

What I find compelling is Gailey's past history with choosing QBs who he can be productive with. I recognize that the past does not absolutely determine the furture. However, one would be foolish not to recognize that past actions can be a pretty strong indicator of future decisions.

The simple fact is that when one looks at what make-up the classic Gailey QB such as a Fiedler (who busted in his first go round as a Pro but Gailey ride him to the playoffs), Kordell (similar MO of past failure who proved to be a winner in the Gailey system, Fitzpatrick, Bulger, etc the classic Gailey choice has been a vet whom Gailey works with to increase his productivity.

I have asked but no one has given me an example of him employing and developing a rookie into a winner.

I also have grave doubts about whether Fitzy can ever become the franchise QB we want and need. The demise of Brohm makes it essential for us to get a #2 QB.

However, given Gailey's past record of actions and also past success my guess is that the waiver wire once the game comes back is a more likely place for the Bills to go QB shopping than the draft.

Perhaps if there was some once in an eon talent like a Luck available then we might see Gauiley make the QB choice. However, though Gabbert and Newton are pretty clearly the class of this year's rookies, no one mistakes them for being virtual certainties to be franchise QBs.

In fact both pretty clearly will need a year of watching, learning and practicing before they are likely to be ready to step on the field as a QB who still will have a lot to learn.