Changes coming to Buffalo waterfront

Beerball

As I've mentioned before step one is get rid of that skyway. It worked wonders for the waterfront here in SF. Unfortunately it took an earthquake to make that happen even though it had been hotly discussed prior to that.

While ungodly expensive look what the big dig did for Boston.

While ungodly expensive look what the big dig did for Boston.

Yeah... ONE major little thing: SF and BOS still have VIABLE WORKING PORTS as does almost every other place on the planet that supports this type of thing. IMO, the BFLO thing is all built on history... And history alone doesn't pay the bills. Where is the commercial complex as the foundation?... Maybe I am wrong and something like this can totally survive on tourism alone. YET, it is April frickening 14th and they are finally getting around to taking out the ice-boom! Before you blink... It will be Septemeber and the season is gone in BFLO! "Connecting with the water" for 5 months out of the year just don't cut it! As a "canal person" myself... Canals that go nowhere just don't cut it. It would be nice if they somehow can link things actually up to the Erie Canal... You might actually get boating tourists that decide to make thier plans through BFLO than say through Ontario and the upper Great Lakes via the Trent-Severn.

Wrong. SF's working port has zero to do with the tourism that keeps the waterfront alive. It's shopping, great restaurants, walking trails etc. Imagine that. Things that tourists look for. And it ain't Bass Pro. The working port of SF is an area that tourists avoid. Buffalo needs to stop making excuses for its decline and actually do something about it.

Wrong. SF's working port has zero to do with the tourism that keeps the waterfront alive. It's shopping, great restaurants, walking trails etc. Imagine that. Things that tourists look for. And it ain't Bass Pro. The working port of SF is an area that tourists avoid. Buffalo needs to stop making excuses for its decline and actually do something about it.

Thats what the Canadians figured out and look at the disparity between the two sides of Niagara Falls.

Yeah... ONE major little thing: SF and BOS still have VIABLE WORKING PORTS as does almost every other place on the planet that supports this type of thing. IMO, the BFLO thing is all built on history... And history alone doesn't pay the bills. Where is the commercial complex as the foundation?... Maybe I am wrong and something like this can totally survive on tourism alone. YET, it is April frickening 14th and they are finally getting around to taking out the ice-boom! Before you blink... It will be Septemeber and the season is gone in BFLO! "Connecting with the water" for 5 months out of the year just don't cut it! As a "canal person" myself... Canals that go nowhere just don't cut it. It would be nice if they somehow can link things actually up to the Erie Canal... You might actually get boating tourists that decide to make thier plans through BFLO than say through Ontario and the upper Great Lakes via the Trent-Severn.

You would fit right in at the Buffalo News. That's the kind of negative thinking that's preventing anything from happening for years. Yes, it's risky as there is a short period of really good weather in the area. That's why they need to make it more of a year round destination and not make it a summer destination only. At least there is progress, it's finally a step forward for Buffalo. There's a competition for the Buffalo area schools every year called Future Cities. They design a model of what the City might look like many years in the future, one kid had a billboard next to the highway that read, "Coming Soon, Bass Pro." I thought that was classic, sad, but classic. But as I said earlier, at least they are proceeding with the project. Plus they got Quinn out of the equation, that should help...

Edited by ricojes

You would fit right in at the Buffalo News. That's the kind of negative thinking that's preventing anything from happening for years. Yes, it's risky as there is a short period of really good weather in the area. That's why they need to make it more of a year round destination and not make it a summer destination only. At least there is progress, it's finally a step forward for Buffalo. There's a competition for the Buffalo area schools every year called Future Cities. They design a model of what the City might look like many years in the future, one kid had a billboard next to the highway that read, "Coming Soon, Bass Pro." I thought that was classic, sad, but classic. But as I said earlier, at least they are proceeding with the project. Plus they got Quinn out of the equation, that should help...

There is good reason for pessimism. Any idea for growth or development in WNY has to run the gauntlet of opposition. If it's not due to NIMBY neighbors or greedy lawyers it's from sheer incompetence.

Amherst Town Center

Verizon Data Center

UB 2020

It's no wonder WNY is such an economic basket case.

PTR

There is good reason for pessimism. Any idea for growth or development in WNY has to run the gauntlet of opposition. If it's not due to NIMBY neighbors or greedy lawyers it's from sheer incompetence.

Amherst Town Center

Verizon Data Center

UB 2020

It's no wonder WNY is such an economic basket case.

PTR

Well with regard to the Town Centre plan I've done major research over the years and have come to the conclusion any developement called Town Centre is destined for failure.

The water taxi's in Baltimore inner harbor and Alexandria, VA are great. They take people from one touristy location to another touristy location nearby. Good luck in Buffalo but I can't help to think they are going to taxi people from the Naval Park to what?...some boat slips? a lighthouse? I guess just riding in a boat for a few minutes will be the draw in itself....