The QB we really need.

Justice

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/09/afc-south-hones-in-on-potential-first-rounder-kaepernick/

If Colin Kaepernick is available to us in the second round I would be jumping for joy if the Bills grab him. As I've stated all along, CK is going to be the best QB in this year's draft and we would be lucky to have him.

Furthermore, I believe CK will not even make it to us in the second round. Hopefully we can make a trade with the Patriots* for both of their first rounders for our first so we can possibly fill two needs with our first rounder, such as a JJ Watt or Cam Jordan and a Colin Kaepernick.

Edited by b.harami98

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/09/afc-south-hones-in-on-potential-first-rounder-kaepernick/

If Colin Kaepernick is available to us in the second round I would be jumping for joy if the Bills grab him. As I've stated all along, CK is going to be the best QB in this year's draft and we would be lucky to have him.

Thanks for letting us know he's going to be the best. If that's the case, we should draft him at three. If that's the case, I'm sure there has to be one NFL team that has that info too

Thanks for letting us know he's going to be the best. If that's the case, we should draft him at three. If that's the case, I'm sure there has to be one NFL team that has that info too

Easy there tiger. Kaepernick is the man!

Easy there tiger. Kaepernick is the man!

I'd be happy if we drafted him, but I'm not sold that he'll be the best qb in the draft. He may very well be, still to be determined. Chan likes an accurate QB. He is everything but accurate

i like everything i have heard about this kid and would really like him at 34. i like him there a lot better than anyone else at #3 and i would love the situation he would be coming into. there seems to be much less pressure on him as a second round pick than someone at the #3 overall. and i think maybe it would be a better overall situation for ryan fitzpatrick as well as the team as a whole. if we draft a QB in the first round, how much time do we have before fans and media start demanding we get the kid in there? also, along with many on this board, i like the combination of CK's physical abilities, attitute, and Chan Gailey's coaching style.

Edited by swnybillsfan

I love these types of responses. The fact of the matter is he can be had for much cheaper than the third overall pick. We can always trade our pick and get him later in the first.

Of course I can always be wrong about the guy, but what is there not to like about the kid. He's fast, strong armed, smart and has no personality faults that we know about. I believe he's the perfect fit for what Chan likes in his offenses. JMO.

I'd be happy if we drafted him, but I'm not sold that he'll be the best qb in the draft. He may very well be, still to be determined. Chan likes an accurate QB. He is everything but accurate

Well, he did have a 65% completion percentage this year. That's pretty accurate.

And all along I've thought that this year's draft was kind of a crapshooot and hard to predict. Thank God I found this thread where everybody knows how these players are gonna work out in the pros and when exactly they're gonna get drafted.

Check my draft wants history, fella, and get back to me later.

Kaepernick is a major project with upside. Reaching for him in the 1st round would terrible. He's 2 years away minimum from being able to produce in the NFL imo.

Why do you say he's two years away? Poor footwork? Bad mechanics? Can't read defenses? Immature?

Unless you defend your opinion, it's meaningless.

Kaepernick may be great but I wonder how one's "stock rises" after the season is over? What happens in a workout or combine that doesn't make itself evident in a real game? Or is it just your agent getting the right media figures to fluff you up?

PTR

Kaepernick may be great but I wonder how one's "stock rises" after the season is over? What happens in a workout or combine that doesn't make itself evident in a real game? Or is it just your agent getting the right media figures to fluff you up?

PTR

I generally agree with your sentiment here (that they haven't played a game since the Senior Bowl, so how do

they move up?), but just some things that could help:

1. Teams interview a player and may be more impressed with his presence and ability to learn.

2. Teams run players through drills to see if they can perform NFL techniques - in Kaepernick's case,

they might be having him take snaps from a center and watching him drop back.

3. Teams can do extensive background checks

4. Players can get bigger and stronger with focused training.

5. Flaws and health concerns might be found in other players at the same position

6. Maybe the "media" is only now catching on to what NFL personnel have thought about

certain less visible players making it "appear" that the player's stock is rising.

Just some thoughts...

If you compare resumes through out these guys college careers i don't know where he stacks up against the rest because i hadn't heard about him until shortly before the draft came around this year .

On the other hand the past couple of college seasons one guy that has been being talked about as a winner & once again proved it this year is Andy Dalton of TCU .

Just go compare the two QB's body of work in college, and go from there . CK no doubt has talent but i want a guy that continues to improve year after year & that's all this guy has done besides win !!

Another plus is Dalton has completed his case study & has a high GPA !!

If you compare resumes through out these guys college careers i don't know where he stacks up against the rest because i hadn't heard about him until shortly before the draft came around this year .

On the other hand the past couple of college seasons one guy that has been being talked about as a winner & once again proved it this year is Andy Dalton of TCU .

Just go compare the two QB's body of work in college, and go from there . CK no doubt has talent but i want a guy that continues to improve year after year & that's all this guy has done besides win !!

Another plus is Dalton has completed his case study & has a high GPA !!

Kaepernick is also supposedly very intelligent. Perhaps the smartest QB in the draft is Christian Ponder

who got his undergraduate degree in 2.5 years and now already has an MBA. That's damn impressive

given that he was playing Division 1 football which takes A LOT of time.

Either way, I don't really want to see the Bills select a QB with our first rounder. I'm not 100% sold on any of the so called top choices. We need to fix the run D in the worst way. If I had a gun to my head and had to take a QB third overall, I prefer Newton over Gabbert. JMO.

Furthermore, I believe CK will not even make it to us in the second round. Hopefully we can make a trade with the Patriots* for both of their first rounders for our first so we can possibly fill two needs with our first rounder, such as a JJ Watt or Cam Jordan and a Colin Kaepernick.

Stop, you are making me hopeful ;) . Been on the CK bandwagon since they beat Boise. He definitely has the most talent and JJ Watt would be ideal. I still want Gabbert because I think he has the better mind for the game but I would not be disappointed with Kaepernick. I still think we can get him in the second as most prognosticators think he is going in the 3rd or 4rth ( :lol: ) but who knows how fast he will fly up the draft. I Remember wanting Urlacher and he wasn't even on the boards but as the season went along he was moving up and a few weeks before the draft he was up to the third and the next thing you know he goes 9th overall, so who knows.

I generally agree with your sentiment here (that they haven't played a game since the Senior Bowl, so how do

they move up?), but just some things that could help:

1. Teams interview a player and may be more impressed with his presence and ability to learn.

2. Teams run players through drills to see if they can perform NFL techniques - in Kaepernick's case,

they might be having him take snaps from a center and watching him drop back.

3. Teams can do extensive background checks

4. Players can get bigger and stronger with focused training.

5. Flaws and health concerns might be found in other players at the same position

6. Maybe the "media" is only now catching on to what NFL personnel have thought about

certain less visible players making it "appear" that the player's stock is rising.

Just some thoughts...

Good Post. People have to realize that all these draft mockers MOVE players around on what bits of info they pick up. Trouble is there is just so much disinformation-manure if you wish, spread around. Most teams draft boards have been pretty much set for some time. What affects teams draft boards is not players rising up, but a players stock dropping after a team finds out with further checks all the info that we as fans will never be privy to. Same goes for draft mockers for that matter. All we have as fans in forming our opinions is what has happened on the field. There is just so much more that teams find out, but will never release due to privcy concerns.

So are all teams equal in doing this and that answer is no. It takes money and a lot of it to have the boots on the ground year round to gather all this info. The good teams usually start building profiles on players as soon as they make a teams radar. Usually tipped off by a coach about a certain player a scout might want to watch over time for example. That is why I was so happy to hear that Buddy Nix had hired 6 new scouts with 3 of those set for the SE. The dividends will play out in future drafts hopefully. It will take these scouts, depending their time in scoutng to build relationships with coaches and athletic directors at these schools to get honest info and not hype.