Fairley Certain

I agree with everything you said in this post. I think Fairley will turn out to be a beast. Im just confused. I don't understand how you can love fairley and hate miller so much. I realize they play different positions, but both of their games are predicated on speed, athleticism and explosion off the snap. If you look at fairley, he doesn't have much if any muscle tone, he's tall and lanky. I feel that he will have to blow by olineman to be effective. He doesnt have great strength and if a lineman gets a hold of him, it could be trouble, especially vs the run. I know he has great lateral quickness, but so does miller.

I'm not trying to debate whether or not he will be a good player, only trying to see why you like him so much and hate on miller so much. Again, i know they play different positions, but their football strengths are identical. Speed, explosion and lateral quickness.

apples to oranges. oh, and I don't know if you'd describe Fairley's physique as "lanky." There have been some criticism's regarding his lower body strength, but he certainly isn't lanky. If you watch tape on the guy against top NCAA competition, you will see that he garners a double team on almost every single play (and still somehow manages to get in the backfield). To me, that is a pretty good indication that his strength is more than sufficient.

Now there is some question as to whether he could play DE in the 3-4, as a a lot of draft experts see him primarily as a 4-3 DT. This remains to be seen. I suspect, given his physical ability, that he could probably play any position on the d-line.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything you said in this post. I think Fairley will turn out to be a beast. Im just confused. I don't understand how you can love fairley and hate miller so much. I realize they play different positions, but both of their games are predicated on speed, athleticism and explosion off the snap. If you look at fairley, he doesn't have much if any muscle tone, he's tall and lanky. I feel that he will have to blow by olineman to be effective. He doesnt have great strength and if a lineman gets a hold of him, it could be trouble, especially vs the run. I know he has great lateral quickness, but so does miller.

I'm not trying to debate whether or not he will be a good player, only trying to see why you like him so much and hate on miller so much. Again, i know they play different positions, but their football strengths are identical. Speed, explosion and lateral quickness.

To keep it as simple as I can, I just don't feel like Miller's game translates to the NFL. You don't see him do things in college that good NFL players do. He doesnt fight off blocks. He never beats defenders with strength. He never shortens his arc to the QB by getting into the OT.

I jsut don't see how he will be any good at rushing the passer if he can't get off blocks or compete physically with the OT. There are countless players like him who have come to the NFL and not succeeded. He is going to be like a blitzing BD. if he was a 4-3 WILL it would be a different story but if we draft him thats not what we are expecting of him long term.

I don't think we were duped on Spiller BB...Maybin maybe, but not Spiller. The tape doesn't lie. I still think he'll bust out.

And Scrappy...we're goin' D this yr...I can feel it...to honor Wanny if nothing else.

I agree we're going D, but for 'Wanny if nothing else'? How about to help the league's worst run D.

our staff doesnt seem to send smoke screens, last year they made it very clear that they wanted to obtain a "waterbug" type runnig back and boom they took CJ Spiller... This year they seem to state that they are very open to a trade down, I think that is the dirrection they are aiming for. Peterson seems to be the only pick thats a obvious top 5 talent IMO there hoping somebody wants to move up and take him. This draft seems to be very deep at LB and DL, Nix seems to be very good at selecting LBs in the later rounds (Shawn Merriman, Arthur Moats), By obtaining more picks we can get some solid defensive players and still end up with a Gabe Carimi or a Kyle Rudolf. They Also seem to be very optimistic about Troupe and Carrington so maybe they arent thinking about Dline as much as we are.

To keep it as simple as I can, I just don't feel like Miller's game translates to the NFL. You don't see him do things in college that good NFL players do. He doesnt fight off blocks. He never beats defenders with strength. He never shortens his arc to the QB by getting into the OT.

I jsut don't see how he will be any good at rushing the passer if he can't get off blocks or compete physically with the OT. There are countless players like him who have come to the NFL and not succeeded. He is going to be like a blitzing BD. if he was a 4-3 WILL it would be a different story but if we draft him thats not what we are expecting of him long term.

I see. I just disagree to an extent. Thx for the reply.

apples to oranges. oh, and I don't know if you'd describe Fairley's physique as "lanky." There have been some criticism's regarding his lower body strength, but he certainly isn't lanky. If you watch tape on the guy against top NCAA competition, you will see that he garners a double team on almost every single play (and still somehow manages to get in the backfield). To me, that is a pretty good indication that his strength is more than sufficient.

Now there is some question as to whether he could play DE in the 3-4, as a a lot of draft experts see him primarily as a 4-3 DT. This remains to be seen. I suspect, given his physical ability, that he could probably play any position on the d-line.

I describe him as lanky. Sure he's a big boy, but his physique, IMO is somewhat lanky. He tall and doesn't have much muscle definition, his arms are long and not muscular. Watching him on the football field, he doesnt look lanky, but that with pads all over his upper body. Watching him at the combine, the word I would describe him is lanky. Maybe we see "lanky" as different. I see it as tall, long arms, thin chest and spindley (sp?).

our staff doesnt seem to send smoke screens, last year they made it very clear that they wanted to obtain a "waterbug" type runnig back and boom they took CJ Spiller... This year they seem to state that they are very open to a trade down, I think that is the dirrection they are aiming for. Peterson seems to be the only pick thats a obvious top 5 talent IMO there hoping somebody wants to move up and take him. This draft seems to be very deep at LB and DL, Nix seems to be very good at selecting LBs in the later rounds (Shawn Merriman, Arthur Moats), By obtaining more picks we can get some solid defensive players and still end up with a Gabe Carimi or a Kyle Rudolf. They Also seem to be very optimistic about Troupe and Carrington so maybe they arent thinking about Dline as much as we are.

Merriman was a 1st round pick

Bills will take Miller if he is there. Dareus will be taken by Denver and Newton will go 1st overall. Miller will fall to us. Miller is a much more complete player than Fairly. Although I wouldn't hate Fairly being the pick if Miller and Dareus were taken ahead of us.

YE OLE is going to be extremely frustrated if this pick doesn't go to the defensive side of the ball. We're in a position to grab either the highest rated DE or one of Fairley or Dareus. We MUST use this pick on the D-Line. YE can't take another year of being gashed by opposing running backs and QB's having all day to survey the field and pick us apart.

I'm okay with either Fairley or Dareus at this point, but agree with the nonsensical notion of Fairley's stock dropping. There was a lot of chatter at the end of the season that Fairley would be the #1 pick. I don't see what he could've done since then to worsen his grade.

I agree, I wish I could find it but in one of the TG articles he quotes gailey about hypothetically trading down to 9, call me simple but I think we will be trading with Dallas. They need help in the secondary and I bet they jump up to nad Peterson.

Looking at the trade value chart, to move up to three (worth 2200 points) Dallas would have to give up their #1(9th overall) 2nd (8th in the 2nd) 3rd (7th in the 3rd) 4th (13th in the 4th) AND 5th(12th in the 5th). Thats obsurd. That trade chart is totally out of whack. It obviously will depend on who is left for us to take, but I would drop back to 9 and be OK with only taking their 2nd. I would ask for more if N. Suh was sitting there but I dont see any player in this class that I wouldnt miss out on for adding another high second.

I found it, here it is:

The Buffalo Bills' preparations for their first-round draft choice won't be as easy as 1-2-3.

They own the third overall selection. One might think they'll only need to identify three franchise players they'd be satisfied with, accounting for the prospects who'd be taken first and second.

"That's a very simplistic way to put it, and that is very true," Bills coach Chan Gailey said Tuesday at the NFL owners meeting in New Orleans. "But you've got to have the whole thing worked out because if somebody calls you in that 15 minutes with an offer you can't refuse and gives you No. 9, you better have nine."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/38863/no-fireworks-allowed-in-buffalos-draft-room

*He also said they have 15 minutes, lets hope they figured that out :ph34r:

Merriman was a 1st round pick. I think it was 12th overall with out looking.

I'm of a mindset that the Bills want offense, so this will not work.

Your mind set is not priority in Bills camp !! If you have been reading any thing that has come off of BB.com or Rumblings you would know that D is the priority this year seeing as the Bills were ranked something like 31st in stopping the run !!!

Fairley's the man.

There has been a lot of discussion around here regarding Fairley's suspicious tumble down the draft boards. Many wonder what he has done since January, when he was widely considered to be the #1 prospect in this draft. I personally love Fairley...he reminds me a great deal of Warren Sapp. His nasty demeanor is something that is desperately needed on this defense. This is a good article that takes a closer look at this situation.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Fairley's the man.

There has been a lot of discussion around here regarding Fairley's suspicious tumble down the draft boards. Many wonder what he has done since January, when he was widely considered to be the #1 prospect in this draft. I personally love Fairley...he reminds me a great deal of Warren Sapp. His nasty demeanor is something that is desperately needed on this defense. This is a good article that takes a closer look at this situation.

I agree. I'd love it if we drafted him. The only possible problem he may have is playing 3-4 DE. I feel he's a much better fit in as a DT in the 4-3, much like sapp played. It would be interesting to watch his transition to 3-4 DE. His speed and burst is amazing, but he could have issues taking on 2 NFL OL, as would many.

Fairley's the man.

The issue is that he wasn't the clear #1 in September, October, November, or even December- he shot to one on an emotional response by talking heads to a big game. Once that emotion wore off and film study and reason returned, he settled back to about where he finished the regular season. That's not to say I don't like him, but I think it's a pretty easy answer to why he's not the "duh" choice for #1 anymore. I suspect he never was in war rooms but talking heads on espn put him there cause he played big in the championship.

Fairley's the man.

When the draft process first started Fairley was overvalued and Dareus was undervalue now the reverse is true- neither guy is Suh but they are both pretty good- Fairley IMO is not Sapp but may be a an upper-middle class Darnell Dockett- Fairley may be slightly more naturally athletic than Dockett but hasn't as yet put the weight room work in. The shoulder injury and coming to combine about 10lbs less than expect hurt Fairley while Dareus helped himself by coming 10lbs heavier and maintaining his athleticism.

BTW I have trouble finding a good pro comparison for Dareus - the Best I can think of is falling between Cullen Jenkins and BJ Raji

I have a moderate preference for Dareus at this juncture, but would be feel okay with either of these guys to us at #3. I know the talk has shifted to Von Miller of late, and I think he's a nice player, but it scares me not getting one of these big guys up front. And as much as I don't think Miller would turn into Maybin/Maybinot 2.0, his smallish stature does concern me a little. That said, with regard to the 3-4/4-3 issue, I would rather our front office not turn away top talent if it doesn't fit what they want to play.

Ron Fairley was an overrated average center fielder. Nck Fairley is an underrated DT. Take Nick and fhuggghetaboutit.

Don't re-write or make up history. No one ever thought more of Ron Fairley than him being a competent ball player in his day. He played all the OF postions, almost equally in some years, as well

as 1B.

Fairley's the man.

Totally Agree. We need a big DL with an attitude. Fairley is perfect for us and could play either DT or DE. I pray we draft him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally Agree. We need a big DL with an attitude. Fairley is perfect for us and could play either DT or DE. I pray we draft him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fairley will be the pick when DraftTek's weekly Mock is released (usually midnight Sunday). The computer doesn't lie! In my comment I said,

The Bills talk up Newton’s "outstanding" skill set but I bet they’re going D all along with this #3 pick. Why take Fairley who's better as a 4-3 DT? For 3 reasons: 1) Nix/Gailey want bigger and nastier. Fairley is the poster boy for nasty; 2) Wannstache is a 4-3 guru. Don't believe he's the ILB coach; he's making Buffalo a true hybrid; 3) Fairley will rotate outside with Williams-Carrington and inside with Troupe and a drafted NT. We'll call it the Blizzard D because they'll blanket quarterbacks (and I bet those new helmets are white).