[Link] Gailey talks QBs

Gailey explains two most critical QB traits

What is head coach Chan Gailey looking for?

Gailey, a noted quarterback connoisseur, gave some insight Tuesday afternoon. He explained his chief criteria for a successful quarterback.

"The two most important things about playing quarterback in this league: accuracy and decision-making," Gailey said at a luncheon held by the Monday Quarterback Club at the Adam's Mark hotel.

"Would you like to have a guy that's mobile? Yes. Would you like to have a guy that is extremely intelligent and is smarter than the coach and can make good decisions on the field? You bet you would like that."

But Gailey continued to reiterate throwing the ball on target and making the correct reads.

Kinda makes one wish that Gailey was around when we traded for Rob Johnson or traded up to get Losman. Does this line of thinking downplay Cam Newton's biggest edge over the other QBs available, at least as it relates to the Bills?

Kinda makes one wish that Gailey was around when we traded for Rob Johnson or traded up to get Losman. Does this line of thinking downplay Cam Newton's biggest edge over the other QBs available, at least as it relates to the Bills?

Possibly. But it shows why he may feel that Fitz is a solid starter but not the answer since accuracy is his biggest downfall.

I still don't think they go QB at 3 or 34 though.

Edited by tgreg99

Cam doesn't have an accuracy problem he does have a problem making decisions and or making decision too late imo.

No idea about Yo Gabba-Gabbert, I tend to think he's not really on OBD's radar.

Ponder & Dalton seem to be accurate and good decision makers. However I haven't seen a ton of Ponder tape and have only seen Dalton in a few Bowl games and a couple of regular season games.

Locker is horrible at accuracy and decision making.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Cam doesn't have an accuracy problem he does have a problem making decisions and or making decision too late imo.

Ponder & Dalton seem to be accurate and good decision makers. However I haven't seen a ton of Ponder tape and have only seen Dalton in a few Bowl games and a couple of regular season games.

Among the top quarterbacks in this year's draft class, here are some 2010 completion percentages:

• Greg McElroy, Alabama: 70.9 percent

• Andy Dalton, Texas Christian: 66.1 percent

• Cam Newton, Auburn: 66.1 percent

• Colin Kaepernick, Nevada: 64.9 percent

• Ryan Mallett, Arkansas: 64.7 percent

• Ricky Stanzi, Iowa: 64.1 percent

• Blaine Gabbert, Missouri: 63.4 percent

• Christian Ponder, Florida State: 61.5 percent

• Jake Locker, Washington: 55.4 percent

That rules out pretty much everyone except for Ponder and Dalton. Or maybe it's just a smokescreen!!! Perhaps Chan prefers himself a half-witted decision maker with piss-poor accuracy at QB? Hmmmmm.

This is not an earth shattering revelation by Chan....accuracy and decision making ability....uhhh yeah!

Among the top quarterbacks in this year's draft class, here are some 2010 completion percentages:

Sometimes percentages can be misleading when you have a small set of data. We've only got one year for Cam Newton vs the other QB's on that list who've got 2-4 years of data. Most of them have good percentages for at least one year. (Except Locker who sucks) For example, in his Junior year, Ponder threw 330 times for 68.8%, 7% higher than his overall percentage from all 4 years.

He's not a throwing QB and I'm not comfortable drafting a running QB.

Jay, did Mallett have the most yards per completion?

Jay, did Mallett have the most yards per completion?

Cam Newton did at 15.4, aided in large part by the fact that everyone was scared to death of him as a runner. Mallett was second at 14.6. Compare that to Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert at 11.1 and 10.6, respectively. To highlight just how much better Mallett was on the field, he threw for twice as many TDs and 700 more yards on 64 fewer attempts than did Gabbert.

Cam Newton did at 15.4, aided in large part by the fact that everyone was scared to death of him as a runner. Mallett was second at 14.6. Compare that to Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert at 11.1 and 10.6, respectively. To highlight just how much better Mallett was on the field, he threw for twice as many TDs and 700 more yards on 64 fewer attempts than did Gabbert.

Thanks for this. It is worth noting that both Newton and Mallett played in what is easily the toughest conference.

I've always been a Mallet believer. If he goes to a team that can keep their QB clean, he could be the next great proto-typical pocket QB.

All a QB needs to do is side step a rusher or step into the pocket. Just because he can't run through a wall like Cam Newton, Gabbert, and Locker doesn't mean he won't be a good NFL QB.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Yo Gabba-Gabbert :thumbsup: that is funnt sh :censored:

I've always been a Mallet believer. If he goes to a team that can keep their QB clean, he could be the next great proto-typical pocket QB.

All a QB needs to do is side step a rusher or step into the pocket. Just because he can't run through a wall like Cam Newton, Gabbert, and Locker doesn't mean he won't be a good NFL QB.

I agree completely. I'm not sure he's a good pick for us considering our HC likes a mobile QB and our OL is suspect (fitzs decision making made them look better than they are IMO). If he catches on with a team that has a good OL and a good qb coach, inlike his chances of succeeding.

Odd - knowing where the ball should go, and actually getting it there? Who would've thought....

Height, arm strength, speed all open up more windows for a qb and coach, but if you can't chose the right one or hit it- it doesn't much matter.

hopefully, Newton isn't the answer. Good to see Gailey has his head on strait because anyone who says different wont be coaching long. Maybe This is why they aren't overwhelmingly endorsing Fitz because because he has the decision making and smarts but that accuracy is all over the place. If we could put Mallett's arm on him would could end the QB controversy right now.

accuracy and brains. shocking

Obviously any coach - or fan - wants accuracy and good decision making. I think the news here is that Chan did not say anything about mobility.

Some coaches are thinking the Vick model is the wave of the future. Chan's apparently not on that bandwagon - if we can believe what he's currently saying and this isn't just part of the Bills deception plan.