Who is Blaine Gabbert anyway?

Possible first round pick and people saying Gabbert is the first pick in the draft are too very different opinions.

Possible is what folks are saying about Ponder and Locker. They aren't going number one in the draft and very

likely could be picked in 2nd round. Gabbert is a good player, but he doesn't stand out when you watch his games.

Definitely not a guy you look at and say he's the best player in the country. Not by far.

I agree that he's not a guy that you look at and can say he's the player in the country. He may be a bust. But looking at his tools as a QB, he could definitely be a stud as well. I was responding to someone who said they didn't know who gabbert was and has no clue how good he is. I said that he's been forecasted as a possible 1st round pick for a couple years now. Which he has been. Whether or not he's worth the number 3 pick won't be decided for another 1-3 years.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gabbert is a media creation. All these talking heads have convinced NFL scouts that he is actually good... fools.

Yes...because all NFL scouts care what the media says. Instead of watching game film, they just read magazines, newspapers and surf fan forums and listen to radio broadcasts all day.

I guess we're all qualified to be NFL scouts. Why don't you just submit your resume already? :rolleyes:

Edited by DreReed83

I watch a decent amount of CFB and I had obviously seen and heard of Newton, Locker, even Dalton and Ponder. All of a sudden the end of the NFL season comes around and everyone is talking about Gabbert. I think he is an agent and media creation. Is he even good? I'm genuinely asking the SW groups opinion here. Has anyone seen him play? Is he better than Newton as some suggest? I just don't think there is a surefire QB in the draft at 3. And if Newton is 1 I sure as sh-t don't want Bliane Gabbert

Must be guys with beast mode handles that hate gabbert, thought for sure this was from beastmode 23. Guess you didn't watch any Mizzu games because before this kid became the obvious best QB in this draft I thought he was pretty good and thought he would be a great QB when he came out. No one heard of him because no one thought he was coming out early so he wasn't on the radar but once he gave hints about coming out he ascended to the the top where he rightfully belongs.

I watch a decent amount of CFB and I had obviously seen and heard of Newton, Locker, even Dalton and Ponder. All of a sudden the end of the NFL season comes around and everyone is talking about Gabbert. I think he is an agent and media creation. Is he even good? I'm genuinely asking the SW groups opinion here. Has anyone seen him play? Is he better than Newton as some suggest? I just don't think there is a surefire QB in the draft at 3. And if Newton is 1 I sure as sh-t don't want Bliane Gabbert

You can thank Mike Mayock for Gabbert. He was the first one to promote his status. I remember him showing this one play on the NFL Network where Gabbert looked off a receiver and completed a pass, and that this one play proved that he'd be a franchise QB.

Now he has serious egg on his face. He all but guaranteed that after Gabbert's pro day, he'd be the clear #1 guy in the draft...LOL Uh yeah, guess again Mike.

I've lost all respect for Mayock ever since his Gabbert love fest. I no longer care what Mayock says about a player anymore.

You can thank Mike Mayock for Gabbert. He was the first one to promote his status. I remember him showing this one play on the NFL Network where Gabbert looked off a receiver and completed a pass, and that this one play proved that he'd be a franchise QB.

Now he has serious egg on his face. He all but guaranteed that after Gabbert's pro day, he'd be the clear #1 guy in the draft...LOL Uh yeah, guess again Mike.

I've lost all respect for Mayock ever since his Gabbert love fest. I no longer care what Mayock says about a player anymore.

You sound like it's 3 years from now and gabbert has flopped already. He still could be the 1st pick. He still could be a star.

Gabbert was a consensus 2nd round pick at the end of the college football season. He catapulted to 1st round status when Luck decided to stay in school. I can't understand how you can make a jump from the 2nd to 1st round (maybe first overall) without taking a snap.

Really? Never mentioned as a high first round pick till Luck announced he was going back to school?

How do you explain this article, then, posted the day Gabbert announced he was coming out, Jan. 3rd, in which McShay immediately puts him at #5 in the first round. And by the way, Luck announced he was going back to school three days LATER.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/...2011-nfl-draft

Or this one, in which he's predicted as top ten, again on Jan. 3rd, three days before Luck made his announcement:

http://www.suite101.com/content/blai...-draft-a327482

Or this one from Buffalo Rumblings saying Gabbert goes on the short list for the #3 pick. Yet again, this came on Jan. 3rd, the day Gabbert declared.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011...king-the-draft

And here's a story about Luck saying he was staying in college:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...the-right-move

You'll note that it is dated January 6th.

Enough of this. We've heard this nonsense that he was never mentioned till Luck went back to Stanford a thousand times, and it is factually incorrect. Before Luck said he was coming out, Gabbert was mentioned as a high first rounder. It happened the instant people realized that he was unexpectedly coming out.

Yes...because all NFL scouts care what the media says. Instead of watching game film, they just read magazines, newspapers and surf fan forums and listen to radio broadcasts all day.

I guess we're all qualified to be NFL scouts. Why don't you just submit your resume already? :rolleyes:

It's called sarcasm, chief.

Well, he had a man crush on Matt Ryan a couple of years ago and questioned Jamarcus Russell's work ethic for what that's worth.

I knew Gabbert would be a top NFL prospect the day he stepped on the field at Missouri. I think most of you need to expand your college football viewing and actually catch a Mizzou game now and then. They are in the Big 12. It's not like hes a small conference QB. This is not hype, it was expected. You don't come across 6-5 240lb QBs who can run a 4.61 w/ a rocket arm very often. With a high wonderlic to boot.

Sorry to burst some bubbles, but scouts don't follow ESPN and the talking heads. Anytime there's a significant jump in a player's "mock" projection, its the media catching up to the scouts. The media is largely clueless on where to rate players. Scouts rate players, and most NFL draft boards don't move very much form the end of the college season.

Its the media that overhypes the combine and pro-days and has crazy changes on their mock drafts, not the scouts of NFL teams.

Is this because Mayock didn't agree with you? Because the draft has not happened, so where does the the egg on face come from?

Is this because Mayock didn't agree with you? Because the draft has not happened, so where does the the egg on face come from?

It's just that Mayock and a lot of these "experts" fell over themselves to transport a QB that nobody even heard of to the top 10, AFTER Luck, Mallet and Locker imploded as possible top ten picks (for differing reasons of course).

I see it as NFL draft expert malpractice on their part. Other than these guys, there appears to be little love for Blaine Gabbert out there among the teams and fanbases.

Now, I don't put it past the Cardinals and 49ers to pull the trigger on him. However, they will be taking a HUGE risk a a guy that has a JP Losman-like pocket presence. I'll believe he's a top ten pick when I see it.

• 2 weeks later...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=lc-carpenter_memory_improves_gabbert_stock_041911

Good article, apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere.

Interesting, thanks for posting. I wonder how he is at improvisation though. Sometimes those with remarkable memories aren't the best at 'winging it' & we know that there are times he will have to wing it.

Interesting, thanks for posting. I wonder how he is at improvisation though. Sometimes those with remarkable memories aren't the best at 'winging it' & we know that there are times he will have to wing it.

Great point, I thought the same thing when I read it. Having knowledge and being able to apply knowledge are equally important. At least we know he'll have 1 of them down for sure.