Afghan Outrage Over Quaran Burning

H2o

Did you really just draw a moral equivalence between vandalism and murder?

I'm certain he didn't mean to, but I think he just did. :wallbash:

Christianity is a religion of peace. If you are a doctor who legally performs abortions, we will bomb your clinic and/or kill you.

Edited by LeviF91

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm certain he didn't mean to, but I think he just did. :wallbash:

Christianity is a religion of peace. If you are a doctor who legally performs abortions, we will bomb your clinic and/or kill you.

That's better.

How about: Religion is a !@#$ing ridiculous, completely unnecessary delusion based on superstitious mythology. Crimes performed in the name of religion, violent or otherwise, are like a bad, sad joke. Religious fundamentalists are a bunch of crazy bastards who should probably be committed.

Edited by Gene Frenkle

Did you really just draw a moral equivalence between vandalism and murder?

No- you just changed it to say that. It wasn't the intent. Both are bad, I do my best to avoid doing bad things to others. So do many good people of those and other religions and political affiliations.

Just because you hear about a crime every once in awhile and it happened by a person who happened to be a Muslim. Let me put it this way- if you hear about a Muslim committing a crime every day for a calendar year, that is 365 out of literally billions of people. It is a small minority, as is the radical faction of any religion or political group. Am I to think that the tea party is a bunch of biggots, because of a vocal minority?

Judge people by their own merits, not by the merits of a group.

Religion is a !@#$ing ridiculous, completely unnecessary delusion based on superstitious mythology.

Just because it's completely unnecessary to you doesn't mean it's completely unnecessary to everybody. Some friends of ours just watched their 11-year-old daughter die after two years of fighting brain cancer. They all spent the last month, including their daughter and her two brothers and sisters, knowing she would die at any moment and there was nothing more they could do. Their faith is what led them through, and the members of their church were with them the entire way both physically, emotionally and financially.

It's impossible to express how unbelieveably tiring it is to read some liberal holier-than-thou all-encompassing condescending bullcrap about the reality of religion from people like you who are so certain it's a big myth that they gladly mock the very people who rely on that faith to get them through the day as they sit by their youngest child, holding their hand, waiting for them to die at the age of 11.

How great thou art, Gene.

Just because it's completely unnecessary to you doesn't mean it's completely unnecessary to everybody. Some friends of ours just watched their 11-year-old daughter die after two years of fighting brain cancer. They all spent the last month, including their daughter and her two brothers and sisters, knowing she would die at any moment and there was nothing more they could do. Their faith is what led them through, and the members of their church were with them the entire way both physically, emotionally and financially.

It's impossible to express how unbelieveably tiring it is to read some liberal holier-than-thou all-encompassing condescending bullcrap about the reality of religion from people like you who are so certain it's a big myth that they gladly mock the very people who rely on that faith to get them through the day as they sit by their youngest child, holding their hand, waiting for them to die at the age of 11.

It is the same as guns. Guns aren't crazy, nor is religion. They are usually the excuse for a crazy person's actions. Each INDIVIDUAL is accountable for their own actions.....or at least it should be that way.

"Liberals" aren't the only ones that are holier than thou, either.

Why would someone worship a god that allows their 11-year-old daughter to suffer with brain cancer for two years before her extremely young death?

That story sucks. I've had several people I was very close to either diagnosed or die from cancer in the past couple of years and I can certainly sympathize. Cancer sucks. A lot. But it's not proof of god or even of the need for religion. It's a sad story that you're selfishly using to make your argument.

And don't get all sanctimonious on me - you're at least as guilty of the exact same attitude you're accusing me of having.

Why would someone worship a god that allows their 11-year-old daughter to suffer with brain cancer for two years before her extremely young death?

That story sucks. I've had several people I was very close to either diagnosed or die from cancer in the past couple of years and I can certainly sympathize. Cancer sucks. A lot. But it's not proof of god or even of the need for religion. It's a sad story that you're selfishly using to make your argument.

And don't get all sanctimonious on me - you're at least as guilty of the exact same attitude you're accusing me of having.

I take it you are for a Godless world?

You missed my point, which more bluntly is this: just because you think people who believe in God are idiots does not, by default, make them idiots. Hard for you to grasp, I know.

Most people of faith rely on faith for strength and guidance to be better people; to be more selfless; more giving and forgiving. Most people of faith are the very first to reach out and help those in need. They support, they feed, they shelter, they help, the build and they strengthen...all with the intent of doing good.

But, y'know, it's all based on superstitious mythology, so in your eyes, it's ridiculous and unnecessary, led by people who will selfishly use the death of an 11-year-old to make an argument.

Gotcha.

I'm not "for" anything. I simply base my beliefs on empirical evidence.

So you have observed that there is no God? What if I have observed a happenstance that could only occur via God? Who would be right? Maybe what is right for you should be right for you and maybe what is right for me should be right for me. I don't rant and rave about atheists. Maybe you shouldn't rant and rave about religion. Each to his own though.

That's better.

How about: Religion is a !@#$ing ridiculous, completely unnecessary delusion based on superstitious mythology. Crimes performed in the name of religion, violent or otherwise, are like a bad, sad joke. Religious fundamentalists are a bunch of crazy bastards who should probably be committed.

I think I used to be a condescending atheist. I think I'm still a atheist but have dropped the smugness. Although I still find the existence of a supernatural god hard to believe, I do appreciate the values Christianity brings to the table. I find myself thinking of a quote that I have no idea of its origin.

"Those who believe in nothing will believe anything". Recent examples of "anything" would be like Obama, Marxism and general liberalism.

Gotta go with LA on this...if faith can comfort people in such a crappy time...more power to them. I don't need empirical evidence to show me it helped.

I agree with you. But then again, the only thing that has brought about more evil in this world than wanting to be right, it is wanting to do the right thing.......

Good people don't have to be right- they try to help others for the sake of doing it and don't fear everything which is different. Bad people judge people in convenient groups and become fearful- and hateful (despite the fact they completely deny it, like the idiots in Mursboro, Tennessee)

I agree with you. But then again, the only thing that has brought about more evil in this world than wanting to be right, it is wanting to do the right thing.......

Good people don't have to be right- they try to help others for the sake of doing it and don't fear everything which is different. Bad people judge people in convenient groups and become fearful- and hateful (despite the fact they completely deny it, like the idiots in Mursboro, Tennessee)

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with that... When I think of evil i think of hitler or stalin slaughtering millions of people.... thats evil and they had no intent on doing the right thing. (insert a multitude of other dictators, just making a generalization) or using Islam to riot and kill in the name of Islam's peaceful image being contested. Trying to do the right thing is helping someone out in need or trying to hold the moral high ground or forgiving someone who has wronged you.

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with that... When I think of evil i think of hitler or stalin slaughtering millions of people.... thats evil and they had no intent on doing the right thing. (insert a multitude of other dictators, just making a generalization) or using Islam to riot and kill in the name of Islam's peaceful image being contested. Trying to do the right thing is helping someone out in need or trying to hold the moral high ground or forgiving someone who has wronged you.

Hitler and Stalin stomped people out, because they believed that they held the moral high ground. They thought they were giving their people what they needed.

Most Muslims are good, peace loving people, but if you want to talk inclusive of all Muslims, that includes millions of people, so you will be lumping people who are just like you and me, with radicals.

That is the same as lumping all tea party members with the few racists. Everyone is an individual and deserved to be judged as such.

Hitler and Stalin stomped people out, because they believed that they held the moral high ground. They thought they were giving their people what they needed.

:rolleyes: huh

Most Muslims are good, peace loving people, but if you want to talk inclusive of all Muslims, that includes millions of people, so you will be lumping people who are just like you and me, with radicals.

That is the same as lumping all tea party members with the few racists. Everyone is an individual and deserved to be judged as such.

why is that not more "moderate" muslim outcry against their violence? they kill in the name of religon all the time. look at the Danish cartoonist, south park, countless riots etc... It's ridicliou they masquarade as "peaceful" when their actions show otherwise.

You don't see christians staging mass riots killing people when they hae art exhibits like a urine soaked crucifix or Jesus Christ covered in fecal material like the "art" exhibits a little while back.

there is a difference.

You missed my point, which more bluntly is this: just because you think people who believe in God are idiots does not, by default, make them idiots. Hard for you to grasp, I know.

Most people of faith rely on faith for strength and guidance to be better people; to be more selfless; more giving and forgiving. Most people of faith are the very first to reach out and help those in need. They support, they feed, they shelter, they help, the build and they strengthen...all with the intent of doing good.

But, y'know, it's all based on superstitious mythology, so in your eyes, it's ridiculous and unnecessary, led by people who will selfishly use the death of an 11-year-old to make an argument.

Gotcha.

I don't think I said believers are idiots.

So you have observed that there is no God? What if I have observed a happenstance that could only occur via God? Who would be right? Maybe what is right for you should be right for you and maybe what is right for me should be right for me. I don't rant and rave about atheists. Maybe you shouldn't rant and rave about religion. Each to his own though.

Where's your empirical evidence against the existence of God?

It is, of course, impossible to prove a negative. Lack of belief in a supernatural entity does not require empirical evidence, for I am not the one making the extraordinary claim.

3rdnlng, I understand that this concept may be new to you. Tom, I know you know this better than I, so I'll assume you're just !@#$ing with me.

I think I used to be a condescending atheist. I think I'm still a atheist but have dropped the smugness. Although I still find the existence of a supernatural god hard to believe, I do appreciate the values Christianity brings to the table. I find myself thinking of a quote that I have no idea of its origin.

"Those who believe in nothing will believe anything". Recent examples of "anything" would be like Obama, Marxism and general liberalism.

So since you've dropped the smugness, that quote no longer applies to you??? It's a ridiculous quote in the first place, but it's almost like you're insulting your atheistic self.

Edited by Gene Frenkle

I don't think I said believers are idiots.

It is, of course, impossible to prove a negative. Lack of belief in a supernatural entity does not require empirical evidence, for I am not the one making the extraordinary claim.

3rdnlng, I understand that this concept may be new to you. Tom, I know you know this better than I, so I'll assume you're just !@#$ing with me.

So since you've dropped the smugness, that quote no longer applies to you??? It's a ridiculous quote in the first place, but it's almost like you're insulting your atheistic self.

So, you mock me because I take the position of "each to his own"? You have a real attitude problem. My guess is that you are frustrated playing catcher for the over 35 team and resent the fact that even Maurice (the bow tie guy)gets to pitch while you get to practice gargling behind the bleachers.