Afghan Outrage Over Quaran Burning

H2o

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you have a right to express that difference in a free society. I have a tough time ever supporting any religion that would target you for violence for sharing that opinion.

But once again, we're pointing out the actions of a group of people who would most likely be violent regardless of what faith they practice if anything. Just like, at protests, you have those that protest peacefully and then a riot breaks out from those who most likely just went to stir ****.

But once again, we're pointing out the actions of a group of people who would most likely be violent regardless of what faith they practice if anything. Just like, at protests, you have those that protest peacefully and then a riot breaks out from those who most likely just went to stir ****.

Agreed- the killers are idiots. They are not idiots because they are muslim. Just like the idiot in Florida isn't an idiot because of his religion. Same for the idiots in Kansas, who are ruining military funerals.

No, no, no, no. Some are taught from a very young age that jihad is their duty. The degree that they believe this and the interpretation of the Quran gives them "cover" for their atrocities.

I'm not being confrontational, but for the sake of asking, what parts do you have a problem with?

One major problem I have is the treatment of women. I don't particularly care for theocracies in general, which dominates the muslim world. And by and large, the majority of them tend to be a lot more hardcore religious fanatics than I'm comfortable with. Also, they're moralization and hardcore enforcement thereof reminds me of puritan christianity, of which I am not a fan either.

On an individual basis, however, I've known many muslims, who are very religious by my standards, but are corrupt by their own, who are good people and have been good friends. I just don't care for their religious beliefs any more than I care for the political beliefs my communist friend Nick.

One major problem I have is the treatment of women. I don't particularly care for theocracies in general, which dominates the muslim world. And by and large, the majority of them tend to be a lot more hardcore religious fanatics than I'm comfortable with. Also, they're moralization and hardcore enforcement thereof reminds me of puritan christianity, of which I am not a fan either.

On an individual basis, however, I've known many muslims, who are very religious by my standards, but are corrupt by their own, who are good people and have been good friends. I just don't care for their religious beliefs any more than I care for the political beliefs my communist friend Nick.

Fair enough. As you can imagine, Montreal has a significant Muslim population. I've only come across very few that resembled anything intolerant (against women for example) but generally, my experiences have been positive. Their opinion of the stuff that goes on back home is similar to mine, it's from extremists who misinterpret their religious teachings.

I don't really understand a mindset where I'd be so upset over someone a world away burning a book that I'd go out and kill. I'd understand if the Afghanis were killing because foreigners were dropping bombs and mistakenly killing civilians over and over again, or if the Afghanis were killing because foreigners were going around killing civilians and chopping off body parts as tokens, or if foreigners in a gunship shot up a bunch of 15yo farm workers, or I'd kill if a bunch of foreigners simply had the !@#$ing arrogance to walk around my country like they owned the place but not over a stupid book. Personally if I was the Afghanis I'd be a little pissed that after 15 Saudis and 4 Egyptians funded by Saudi Arabian money and fueled with a Wahhabi militant Islamic Philosophy from Saudi Arabian crashed planes into the Twin Towers that somehow it was my fault because they had a training camp in a place so remote that there zero government over-site there- of course the real training for the 9/11 mission happened in Florida.

I don't really understand a mindset where I'd be so upset over someone a world away burning a book that I'd go out and kill. I'd understand if the Afghanis were killing because foreigners were dropping bombs and mistakenly killing civilians over and over again, or if the Afghanis were killing because foreigners were going around killing civilians and chopping off body parts as tokens, or if foreigners in a gunship shot up a bunch of 15yo farm workers, or I'd kill if a bunch of foreigners simply had the !@#$ing arrogance to walk around my country like they owned the place but not over a stupid book. Personally if I was the Afghanis I'd be a little pissed that after 15 Saudis and 4 Egyptians funded by Saudi Arabian money and fueled with a Wahhabi militant Islamic Philosophy from Saudi Arabian crashed planes into the Twin Towers that somehow it was my fault because they had a training camp in a place so remote that there zero government over-site there- of course the real training for the 9/11 mission happened in Florida.

I don't understand the mindset either. I know I saw a veteran that was absolutely despondant about a flag burning and I can't say I understand that either. The world is screwed up, I just hope to make it through this life without making things harder for anyone else......

I'm not being confrontational, but for the sake of asking, what parts do you have a problem with?

"Majority of Muslims want Islam in politics, poll says"

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/06/world/la-fg-1206-muslim-poll-20101206

We're talking about hundreds of millions of people in the world who want to be governed by the laws of Islam (if there are a billion practicing Islam this has to be the case, correct?). This is where people get confused by the word "extremist." I happen to think that these hundreds of millions of people are not moderate, but extreme in their views. Is it a moderate view to want stoning laws for adulterers? I think that this non-truly peaceful and moderate muslim mindset of wanting islamic law is the 21st century's version of nazism. The world watches as the middle east uprisings and revolutions shakes out. Who wins? Who loses? Who's in charge? Will these countries become islamic states?

Comparing a crack pot reverend with the growing concern that the majority of muslims in the world are in favor of islamic rule is beyond ridiculous. He's a nobody, no nothing, attention grabbing idiot.

Edited by 1billsfan

Fair enough. As you can imagine, Montreal has a significant Muslim population. I've only come across very few that resembled anything intolerant (against women for example) but generally, my experiences have been positive. Their opinion of the stuff that goes on back home is similar to mine, it's from extremists who misinterpret their religious teachings.

Ah, it all makes since now. Aboot what I'd expect from a !@#$ing Canadian. :D

Ah, it all makes since now. Aboot what I'd expect from a !@#$ing Canadian. :D

Please don't insult me like that. I may have been born here but deep down inside, I'm a spaghetti eating grease ball who was born on this frozen wasteland they call Mont-real :P

I'm still baffled how anyone can seriously try to make the case that someone with a quaran in florida is responsible for this. why can't people accept the idea of being accountable for your own actions and not blaming others.

If someone in pakistan burned a bible and there was a riot here and i killed 2 people, would the pakastani be responsible? would that be my excuse? thats seriously insane and anyone who tries to make that case has lost their mind.

I know what they are doing is wrong, there is no questioning that at all. What I am saying is all of this was completely avoidable. This "Rev. Terry Jones" is an irresponsible man and is not doing this because the Lord told him to, you can bet that. He did this to draw attention and now the blood of those people is on his hands.

I know how it could have been avoided. If the moron reporters just ignored this guy because he is a douche. No story makes him just another loser nobody knows about.

I know how it could have been avoided. If the moron reporters just ignored this guy because he is a douche. No story makes him just another loser nobody knows about.

That would be irresponsible. The media's job is to report what happened, not to edit reality. The devil priest shouldn't have burned the book and the lunatics shouldn't have killed people. Neither is justifiable.

Edited by Adam

That would be irresponsible. The media's job is to report what happened, not to edit reality. The devil priest shouldn't have burned the book and the lunatics shouldn't have killed people. Neither is justifiable.

I don't know that it's irresponsible to neglect to report something so insignificant. Seeing as how most major media outlets didn't feel it responsible to report on anything that may have been detrimental to their Presidential bid in 08, they found an interesting time to turn over a new leaf.

I don't know that it's irresponsible to neglect to report something so insignificant. Seeing as how most major media outlets didn't feel it responsible to report on anything that may have been detrimental to their Presidential bid in 08, they found an interesting time to turn over a new leaf.

Now, I never said that the media was always responsible- it's not. That's why we have so many opinion shows- they are irresponsible. The Quran burning was a big story, as would the protest of any major religion or country.

Terry Jones is an evil man, who is not representative of his religion, just like the assassins are not representative of theirs.

Now, I never said that the media was always responsible- it's not. That's why we have so many opinion shows- they are irresponsible. The Quran burning was a big story, as would the protest of any major religion or country.

Terry Jones is an evil man, who is not representative of his religion, just like the assassins are not representative of theirs.

Please stop with the moral equivalence. I'm not going to paint a billion people with a broad brush, but the rioters have a lot more in common with the majority of their religion than Terry Jones does with his. Period.

"Majority of Muslims want Islam in politics, poll says"

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/06/world/la-fg-1206-muslim-poll-20101206

We're talking about hundreds of millions of people in the world who want to be governed by the laws of Islam (if there are a billion practicing Islam this has to be the case, correct?). This is where people get confused by the word "extremist." I happen to think that these hundreds of millions of people are not moderate, but extreme in their views. Is it a moderate view to want stoning laws for adulterers? I think that this non-truly peaceful and moderate muslim mindset of wanting islamic law is the 21st century's version of nazism. The world watches as the middle east uprisings and revolutions shakes out. Who wins? Who loses? Who's in charge? Will these countries become islamic states?

Comparing a crack pot reverend with the growing concern that the majority of muslims in the world are in favor of islamic rule is beyond ridiculous. He's a nobody, no nothing, attention grabbing idiot.

Now about the whole abortion rights thing...

If the media was responsible for reporting every time a moron did something stupid, it would make newspapers about 4,000 pages every day. This guy was a nothing until some idiot reporter decided to listen to him. It is not their job to report every stupid thing they hear. Can you imagine the number of stories about Canada if that were to happen?