Afghan Outrage Over Quaran Burning

H2o

So, you mock me because I take the position of "each to his own"? You have a real attitude problem.

I erased the gross disgusting part of your quote which was uncalled for. Gene is bald and sometimes he gets all self conscious about it. If there is a God how come I have no hair? Etc. Etc. Etc.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you mock me because I take the position of "each to his own"? You have a real attitude problem. My guess is that you are frustrated playing catcher for the over 35 team and resent the fact that even Maurice (the bow tie guy)gets to pitch while you get to practice gargling behind the bleachers.

Your smack talk is even weaker than your logic. When all else fails, resort to the ad-hominem attack. Why even bother trying to have an intelligent conversation when you so obviously lack the basic tools required? :rolleyes:

You should take notes from crayonz to at least improve your smack. The critical thinking part may be beyond your inherent talents.

Edited by Gene Frenkle

It is, of course, impossible to prove a negative. Lack of belief in a supernatural entity does not require empirical evidence, for I am not the one making the extraordinary claim.

3rdnlng, I understand that this concept may be new to you. Tom, I know you know this better than I, so I'll assume you're just !@#$ing with me.

No, I'm not just !@#$ing with you. You're making a definitive statement that believing in God is foolish, because you don't believe in God. But you, of course, can't prove a negative (although actually, you can under certain circumstances...but we'll let that go), so how can you make a definitive statement about others' beliefs? Simply because they disagree with your beliefs?

No, I'm not just !@#$ing with you. You're making a definitive statement that believing in God is foolish, because you don't believe in God. But you, of course, can't prove a negative (although actually, you can under certain circumstances...but we'll let that go), so how can you make a definitive statement about others' beliefs? Simply because they disagree with your beliefs?

I have no belief with regard to religion except for the belief that no organized religion has it right. The main problem is that all of this religious doctrine seems to be made by men out of whole cloth, but people turn a blind eye to that fact and cite the need for "faith". That's such a !@#$ing cop-out. I have seen no empirical evidence for god or any type of divined intervention - in fact nobody has. That certainly does not mean that I reject the possibility that such a thing could exist. Based on what we know (or think we know) as a species, I think the chances that there is some invisible entity in the sky looking down on us and judging our actions is pretty damned minuscule. While nearly anything within the limits of physical possibility could exist, or depending on your favorite multiverse theory does exists, we're talking about supernatural beings here. There has been absolutely no real evidence for supernatural anything ever in all of human history.

My only reasonable conclusion is that anyone who claims to "know" there's a god is either ignorant or delusional. I concede that society/upbringing/history makes it somewhat reasonable for people to believe in one deity or another, and that's fine. My problem, as I stated earlier in this thread, is with religious fundamentalists who do violence in the name of their religion or "god" because they know what they believe to be true at their very core. I think that fundamentalist religious nuts, especially the violent ones, are batshit crazy and should be committed. I also have a serious problem with religious leaders who use their position, power and influence to do harm to others or gain profit. My "belief" is that the world would be a far better and more peaceful place without all of this faith-based BS.

I have no belief with regard to religion except for the belief that no organized religion has it right. The main problem is that all of this religious doctrine seems to be made by men out of whole cloth, but people turn a blind eye to that fact and cite the need for "faith". That's such a !@#$ing cop-out. I have seen no empirical evidence for god or any type of divined intervention - in fact nobody has. That certainly does not mean that I reject the possibility that such a thing could exist. Based on what we know (or think we know) as a species, I think the chances that there is some invisible entity in the sky looking down on us and judging our actions is pretty damned minuscule. While nearly anything within the limits of physical possibility could exist, or depending on your favorite multiverse theory does exists, we're talking about supernatural beings here. There has been absolutely no real evidence for supernatural anything ever in all of human history.

My only reasonable conclusion is that anyone who claims to "know" there's a god is either ignorant or delusional. I concede that society/upbringing/history makes it somewhat reasonable for people to believe in one deity or another, and that's fine. My problem, as I stated earlier in this thread, is with religious fundamentalists who do violence in the name of their religion or "god" because they know what they believe to be true at their very core. I think that fundamentalist religious nuts, especially the violent ones, are batshit crazy and should be committed. I also have a serious problem with religious leaders who use their position, power and influence to do harm to others or gain profit. My "belief" is that the world would be a far better and more peaceful place without all of this faith-based BS.

I used to think like that as well, but I have come to the conclusion that religion is not the reason for religious fundamentalism. It is the excuse for it. Bad people will use their belief as a reason to treat others poorly- if it weren't there, they would find another excuse.

I have no belief with regard to religion except for the belief that no organized religion has it right.

The problem is that based on this statement, you believe everyone else is wrong except you.

That's why we're busting your chops. Because that's pretty stupid.

I used to think like that as well, but I have come to the conclusion that religion is not the reason for religious fundamentalism. It is the excuse for it. Bad people will use their belief as a reason to treat others poorly- if it weren't there, they would find another excuse.

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats

The problem is that based on this statement, you believe everyone else is wrong except you.

That's why we're busting your chops. Because that's pretty stupid.

I think probability that any one religion has it right is just about zero. I base this belief on the absolute lack of empirical evidence for any supernatural religious claims. If I claimed divine knowledge in the absence of evidence I would be wrong too. Like everyone, I believe certain things - the difference is that I have no belief in the supernatural. I cannot find reason in someone claiming to be 100% sure of something for which there is absolutely no evidence. I think such a claim denigrates all that is beautiful about the human mind - its inherent need to seek answers to big questions. Religion is by nature anti-intellectual because it instructs one to not seek answers, but instead to accept things based on blind faith, which seems the perfect way to control the sheep IMO. So religious fundamentalists are 100% sure of something there is no evidence for that was created by men, likely in an effort to control the masses. Oh, and they do violence and kill people based on this too. Religious fundamentalism is crazy.

Incidentally, there are many people who think like I do. There are people who post here regularly who think like I do - the difference is that I'm outspoken about it. This is not meant to strengthen my statements here, because the number of people "believing" in something has no real bearing on whether or not it's actually true. I simply bring it up in answer to your "everyone else is wrong except you" statement.