Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder?

Gabbert or Ponder?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Gabbert or Ponder?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81f00f87/Game-Changers-The-QBs-hit-the-field

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81f00f86/Game-Changers-QB-film-study

Couple of Vids from NFL.com showing Steve Mariucci school the two Quarterbacks.

I really don't know. I think Gabbert isn't a top 10 QB in my opinion. I really think Ponder is the better of the two. Ponder in the second baby!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81f00f87/Game-Changers-The-QBs-hit-the-field

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81f00f86/Game-Changers-QB-film-study

I really don't know. I think Gabbert isn't a top 10 QB in my opinion. I really think Ponder is the better of the two. Ponder in the second baby!

If we take a quarterback this year, I want it to be ponder in the 2nd. (I'd love it to be in the third, but not sure he falls that far).

Ponder looked really good running the Gailey offense at the Senior Bowl. Go D first round and if we must draft a QB, then Ponder could be a good one. Of course I also like Kaepernick as 3rd round or so pick. I wish he had played on Gailey's team at the Senior Bowl. If you can find any highlights of the Wolfpack vs the Boise States check it out. Colin was GREAT in that game.

Hell I would trade down to the 8-11 range and gather a second and trade down again back to the 16-20 range and then draft Ponder. I would get about 4 or more draft picks out of it and possibly 2 second rounders. That is what I would try to do for you Bills fans if I was your GM lol I would have 3 second rounders. get OT, TE Rudolph and a D-Lineman. Either way I would improve the team if I did or didn't decide to pick those exact positions.

There's an extensive write-up on Ponder (with video inserts) here. Sure, it's from the Scum-Sentinel, but nevertheless.... Basically says that Ponder doesn't have a world-class arm, especially after some injuries, but he's got enough to get it where he needs it (hence some comparisons to Chad Pennington); there are some durability issues. I don't know how much the injury status has changed in the past couple of months as he's healed fully, but he has shot back up the draft boards to rd 1-2 from rd 3 iirc. It's questionable whether he'll still be there at the Bills #2.

There are two areas where I think Ponder stands apart from other quarterbacks in the 2011 draft class; his accuracy in this range and his anticipation. One element to his accuracy is that the ball gets there on time for the most part, which speaks to his ability to anticipate the throw. If a quarterback needs to see his man open before he makes the throw at the pro level, I think he is doomed to be a marginal player. The windows are simply too small to wait until your man ‘is’ open. The quarterback must throw his man open and for my money Christian Ponder has the ability to do just that. He’s capable capable of placing the ball where only his man can make a play on the ball, such as on the receiver’s outside shoulder on deeper sideline passes.

His accuracy is better than most b/c of good footwork and balance... something this article suggests Kaepernick, who takes big strides for his throws, doesn't have.

Whoever drafts [Ponder] will not have to spend a great deal of time refining Ponder’s throwing mechanics or set up.
For a bigger kid, he can use his legs, and is very good at throwing on the run, in either direction. It's improved, but still needs work on pocket presence and ability to feel pressure.

Florida State ran a pro-style offense, but it was a Jimbo Fisher simplification, so while he may be more prepared for the transition to the NFL than many of the other QBs, it's not like he's making a sideways move. Then again, Ponder graduated in finance in 2 1/2 years at FSU, so I think he's got it in him to be able to learn an NFL playbook.

One of the LBs Ponder faced, Oklahoma’s Tom Wort, says that Ponder doesn't give away plays with his eyes or stare down his receivers until he's throwing. Said that the defense knew the plays from Fisher's simplified offense, rather than being able to read Ponder. Wort said that he suspects BC was able to do the same for Fisher's offense --- those refined defenses were FSU's two losses in 2010. Especially last year, he improved the ability to look off defenders.

High character guy. Works on the areas that he's deficient, very teachable.

Does need to learn to progress from his initial read and primary receiver. Will sometimes force throws into traffic. Ponder didn't have very good receivers at FSU, and in his sophomore season (his 55% completion year) didn't have a good OL. There have been other distractions at FSU in his time there, including a fight among coaches on a team plane after the Boston College loss amid accusations of racism. His toughness is not questioned; played through injuries, does not slide when running (this will need to change in the NFL).

Edited by UConn James

Seriously? Ponder can't carry Blaine's Jock. I'm not buying his arm is great and that it was just injuries, guy will be a career backup.

CrimiNole QBs in the NFL have had tons of success...

Just list 'em...

Burt Reynolds - did great in "The Longest Yard"

Brad Johnson - well, he didn't start at the Correctional Facility in Tally, but at least he did more than any other CrimiNole QB in modern history

There's an extensive write-up on Ponder (with video inserts) here. Sure, it's from the Scum-Sentinel, but nevertheless.... Basically says that Ponder doesn't have a world-class arm, especially after some injuries, but he's got enough to get it where he needs it (hence some comparisons to Chad Pennington); there are some durability issues. I don't know how much the injury status has changed in the past couple of months as he's healed fully, but he has shot back up the draft boards to rd 1-2 from rd 3 iirc. It's questionable whether he'll still be there at the Bills #2.

Thats actually a really solid write-up of Ponder's positives and negatives. 2 more things of note are that Jimbo trusted Ponder enough to let him audible at the LOS...the first QB Jimbo's ever let do that during all his years of coaching. Also, ouor WRs were very bad last season, and it definitely affected Ponder. They simply couldn't be trusted. We had some skilled young guys that were still digesting the offense, and a couple of unreliable juniors/seniors.

Also, for those worried about "FSU QBs," Ponder is the first QB from FSU to be entirely coached by Jimbo Fisher. Bobby Bowden and the FSU offense philosophy of old had nothing to do with Ponder. Fisher was in charge, and the offense was completely different.

I'm another FSU alum and fan and I'd be luke-warm on Ponder in the 2nd. As a 3rd round pick or later in the 2nd than our pick if they make a trade would be OK.

I liked him as a college QB but I'm not really sold on him as an NFL prospect. He really seemed to struggle under pressure - maybe it was his injuries - but his decisions seemed like a mixed bag too.

our WRs were very bad last season, and it definitely affected Ponder. They simply couldn't be trusted. We had some skilled young guys that were still digesting the offense, and a couple of unreliable juniors/seniors

Very true - that was probably the worst collective WR performance I've seen at FSU in my 30 years watching them. Tons of stupid drops and missed routes. Definitely had to affect Ponder's stat line.

I'm another FSU alum and fan and I'd be luke-warm on Ponder in the 2nd. As a 3rd round pick or later in the 2nd than our pick if they make a trade would be OK.

I liked him as a college QB but I'm not really sold on him as an NFL prospect. He really seemed to struggle under pressure - maybe it was his injuries - but his decisions seemed like a mixed bag too.

I agree with you in that i'd rather have him in the 3rd. I think 34 is a bit too high for him, considering our other needs. But i'm not sure where you think he struggled under pressure or made decisions. He made some stupid throws at times, but bad football decisions were not at all his MO.

I voted for ponder bc I don't feel gabbert will pan out. However I wouldn't want to pick him until round 3 if he's still there. I feel if we are going to not select a qb in rnd 1 (want newton) then round 3 would be the earliest I would be comfortable with as that qb woould have to sit and learn for an extended amount of time and there are several qbs that could be there (I think ponder will be as well (a la mcoy last year)

I know very little about Ponder, but I have seen game film, highlights on Gabbert.

Given the choice of only the 2, I chose Gabbert since I am familiar somewhat with him.

Full disclaimer though, I don't want either QB. I just don't see the Bills choosing a QB in the first round. I think people are giving themselves a false sense of urgency on this subject. We have Fitz, and he is more than capable of running the offense while we rebuild the defensive side of the ball.

I can see us taking a QB maybe next year or the following, but not now. It just doesn't make any sense given the needs of the team are much more urgent on the defensive side of the ball.

Are the Bills good at pass protection?

So the solution is an injury prone prospect from the state of FLA who isn't good under pressure???

That's what makes Newton a good fit here. His OL wasn't good at pass pro at all. Neither Newton, Gabbert, Ponder, or especially Locker had good offensive supporting casts. Mallett did.

But the qualities of toughness, durability, able to perform when the pocket collapses...

yeah...

Hell I would trade down to the 8-11 range and gather a second and trade down again back to the 16-20 range and then draft Ponder. I would get about 4 or more draft picks out of it and possibly 2 second rounders. That is what I would try to do for you Bills fans if I was your GM lol I would have 3 second rounders. get OT, TE Rudolph and a D-Lineman. Either way I would improve the team if I did or didn't decide to pick those exact positions.

Sigh !!! :doh:

If anyone has seen Gabbert's highlight package, he can do it all, including throw on the run.

Good velocity. Still want a defender in the first round though.

I have thought that Ponder was on the Bills radar since the Senior Bowl. At least we got a good look at him.I think he is a possibility in Rd.2.

I picked Ponder because I'd hate picking Gabbert at #3.

I don't think QB is a crisis position of need this year. It's a pick for the later rounds, if at all, really.

I want players on defense that start on opening day from Rounds 1 and 2.

Thats actually a really solid write-up of Ponder's positives and negatives. 2 more things of note are that Jimbo trusted Ponder enough to let him audible at the LOS...the first QB Jimbo's ever let do that during all his years of coaching. Also, ouor WRs were very bad last season, and it definitely affected Ponder. They simply couldn't be trusted. We had some skilled young guys that were still digesting the offense, and a couple of unreliable juniors/seniors.

Also, for those worried about "FSU QBs," Ponder is the first QB from FSU to be entirely coached by Jimbo Fisher. Bobby Bowden and the FSU offense philosophy of old had nothing to do with Ponder. Fisher was in charge, and the offense was completely different.

Watching that game film, there were a lot of drops where the ball was either in the numbers or entirely catchable and *boink*. On one of them, there was no one within 20 yards of one TE, it hit him in the breadbasket in stride and *boink*. That's very surprising for FSU, given their prime location to pick up WRs. Was it an issue of the stable being depleted b/c of Bowden's expiring time there... even with Jimbo in place as the heir apparent?

11/28 113 4.0 0 2

Good thing "Jimbo" trusted him...

That was his ugliest game. Then again, look to what the LB Wort said. It wasn't really anything Ponder himself didn't do. Oklahoma's (and BC's) defense knew exactly what was coming b/c of the simplicity of the Fisher's FSU O.

Look at how Ponder did in the Senior Bowl, surrounded by quality players, and under a couple of weeks with Chan Gailey.

Regardless who is picked (or if a QB is picked), it will probably be with a lot of input from Gailey and who he feels he can work with at the most important position. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt after what he did with K. Stewart, Thigpen, etc. If he put those guys in the best position to succeed and turned crap into gold, I'd like to see what Chan can turn silver into. Whether that's Newton, Gabbert, Ponder or some UDFA.... Not to mention what he can do with Fitz given the full calender (if there is one).

Kaepernick in the second after drafting a big nasty in the first!

Kaepernick is probably more like a 4th. I don't really care what mocks say. He needs a lot of work. Kids like him drop all the time.

Edited by UConn James