With DW Waiting in the Wings .

T master

Just thinking out loud . Now that the Bills have hired DW as assistant HC & LB coach , if the defense still sucks this year , (knowing that Chan & Buddy are not afraid to pull the plug on people that are not doing their job - see Trent Edwards)

How much time will George Edwards be given to get the D on the right track ??

Especially with DW waiting in the wings ??

Just thinking out loud . Now that the Bills have hired DW as assistant HC & LB coach , if the defense still sucks this year , (knowing that Chan & Buddy are not afraid to pull the plug on people that are not doing their job - see Trent Edwards)

4 games max if D is horrible again.

Of course. Hard to imagine DW not being the D coordinator in 2012. Chan is a stand up guy, he will stick with the guy he hired as D Coord and not just can him because DW became available. If the D is great, then he will deal with it a year from now.

Of course. Hard to imagine DW not being the D coordinator in 2012. Chan is a stand up guy, he will stick with the guy he hired as D Coord and not just can him because DW became available. If the D is great, then he will deal with it a year from now.

I have a feeling Chan realizes the problems with the D are more a lack of talent than scheme but He obviously brought DW in for a reason. I think George gets this year, if there is one. After that, if there isn't a significant improvement, out comes the broom.

You guys crack me up.

Chan is not the type to put his friend, Edwards, in a "pull the plug" situation. He is bringing him help, not threatening him. I think Chan believes in him.

The defense will be improved because of the following reason:

1 - Last years rookies will improve (Troup, Carrington, Moats and maybe some help from Batten)

2- We will draft some more help this off season

3 - DW will help a lot

4 - Players will be more familiar with assignments

5 - Edwards will be more experienced too

6 - Last years level was so poor in comparision.

Who knows how long Edwards leash is. To me the more interesting topic is, what made Wannstedt choose the Bills?

Was it that this topic was indirectly discussed and he realized the opportunity to be DC exists?

Was it that he didn't like the other teams offers?

Did he realize this would be a supervisory role and he would just enjoy a less stressful role for a year?

Did he see this as a stop gap and look for a longer term opportunity next year?

Edited by Triple Threat

You guys crack me up.

Chan is not the type to put his friend, Edwards, in a "pull the plug" situation. He is bringing him help, not threatening him. I think Chan believes in him.

1 - Last years rookies will improve (Troup, Carrington, Moats and maybe some help from Batten)

3 - DW will help a lot

Bingo. Chan and Buddy will give everyone a fair shake. Both are smart enough to realize the deficiencies the defense had to overcome in year one of a major scheme change. All of your points are valid, none more then #6.

I don't know... there isn't a whole lot, usually, seperating the good and the bad, in the NFL, in terms of talent and execution, so that the good teams might have performed badly if one or two things had gone differently, and the bad teams might have performed much better if one or two small things might have gone differently, and that being the case, it is usually easy to say things like "Edwards couldn't have done much better with what he had, or the talent was poor, or it was year one, etc.". But, I saw things in that Defense last year that worried me on a scheme/gameplan level, not to mention a real failure at times to adapt or to change the play selections - it looked, at times, like they simply refused to try different things, while what they were trying had glaring holes that teams were weekly taking advantage of. So, all things considered - he did have challenges of time and talent, but other men have done more with as much or less. So, I think he'll get a chance, but I don't think there is a guy on this staff under Nix that would be given two years of total incompetence without being replaced, including Gailey (although his offense did improve, and I think he's done well, if he hadn't, and if our team's offense stunk, I don't think he'd be given more than two seasons of that type of performance). Nix has an urgency about him with this thing - he knows there is a very real parameter on viability in Buffalo from the owner's longevity, the Bills lease in Buffalo, the fan's expectations, and his own time-frame from a GM's perspective (it should take 2-4 years to turn a team around as a new GM). So, if the Defense is still bad by the end of the season it will be Wannstdet taking over, and if it is terrible out of the gates, by the bye week I could see changes made.

You guys crack me up.

3 - DW will help a lot

With Wannstedt around, Gailey has the option to quietly demote Edwards without embarrassing him. It's a win-win, assuming Gailey makes Wannstedt the DC should the defense falter under Edwards. But again, I can't see Wannstedt not being the DC, given his success as a DC for so long in the NFL.

You guys crack me up.

3 - DW will help a lot

Troup and Carrington barely played. Batten didn't survive training camp. Starting or even playing in games will be a personal improvement for all of them, but I don't see how you project overall defensive improvement with 3 guys who we know little about. Moats looked solid.

DW was brought in for 2 reasons--he won't have to learn on the job (like our "DC") and so CG won't have to fire Edwards (and admit it was an error in judgement to pick him in the first place (like TE).

To me the more interesting topic is, what made Wannstedt choose the Bills?

Was it that this topic was indirectly discussed and he realized the opportunity to be DC exists?

Was it that he didn't like the other teams offers?

Did he realize this would be a supervisory role and he would just enjoy a less stressful role for a year?

Did he see this as a stop gap and look for a longer term opportunity next year?

Career decisions are rarely made based upon just one factor.

Some of what you listed above may have something to do with Wannstache's decision.

Also the fact that Chan Gailey was Miami's Offensive Coordinator for two years when "The Stache" was Head Coach of the Dolphins probably has a lot to do with it.

Regardless of the reasons, it was a nice surprise that Coach Stache was pursued by four teams and that the Bills actually landed him.

How often are the Bills the winning bidders for anyone's services? Not often enough.

Career decisions are rarely made based upon just one factor.

Some of what you listed above may have something to do with Wannstache's decision.

Also the fact that Chan Gailey was Miami's Offensive Coordinator for two years when "The Stache" was Head Coach of the Dolphins probably has a lot to do with it.

Regardless of the reasons, it was a nice surprise that Coach Stache was pursued by four teams and that the Bills actually landed him.

How often are the Bills the winning bidders for anyone's services? Not often enough.

+1 :thumbsup:

Troup and Carrington barely played. Batten didn't survive training camp. Starting or even playing in games will be a personal improvement for all of them, but I don't see how you project overall defensive improvement with 3 guys who we know little about. Moats looked solid.

Batten was looking great in training camp and getting praise from the vets before injuring his shoulder (his return from it won't be an issue). He had no injuries in college. The kid should be a good "addition." Troup and Carrington is a wait-and-see, which is why I think the Bills should go DL in the 1st.

DW was brought in for 2 reasons--he won't have to learn on the job (like our "DC") and so CG won't have to fire Edwards (and admit it was an error in judgement to pick him in the first place (like TE).

Not saying we will improve because of Troup and Carrington alone. All of the factors that I listed will be additive.

Troup played quite a bit and he will be better this coming season, wait and see. Carrington is still more of a project to me.

DW will be a great addition and will help Edwards. If you have issue with Edwards so be it, the point is Nix and Gailey improved the defensive coaching staff greatly. Now they need to draft a few solid players to shore up the front 7.

Edited by Bob in STL

Batten was looking great in training camp and getting praise from the vets before injuring his shoulder (his return from it won't be an issue). He had no injuries in college. The kid should be a good "addition." Troup and Carrington is a wait-and-see, which is why I think the Bills should go DL in the 1st.

Agreed. Maybe it's splitting a hair, but:

There's no question, doubt, whatever, that last year's draftees will be better football players and athletes in '11 after a year of coaching, prep, weight room, film study, conditioning, etc., etc., etc. That's true whether they turn out to be Pro Bowlers or busts. The real question that can't be answered yet is whether the Bills will have a better defense BECAUSE they've had the extra year -- getting towards whether they're Pr Bowlers or busts.

Wanny may have taken the Bills job because his family is staying in Pittsburgh (does he have school-age kids?) and Buffalo-Pitt is an easy commute. Who knows?

You guys crack me up.

3 - DW will help a lot

I like your arguement on this but I am not seeing Chan showing loyalty to Edwards at all given just how bad the play calling was on the defenstive side......and agree with everything you say about Troupe, Carrington, Moates etc.....while we were not talented on the defensive side too often players were OUT OF POSITION to make plays.....I have NEVER seen a team so unable to control its edge on defense....or be able to make an adjustment when it is getting beaten so bad......teams were TOYING with us on defense.

Dave Wannstadt is a defensive guru who immediately demands respect from the players similar to Dick Lebau who we idiotically allowed to get away from us to go to the Steelers.

In my opinion....Chan did the freind thing but not firing Edwards outright and allowing him to keep his title (in name only) and you can bet that DW is the real authority.