Who Are Our Most Realistic Trade Down Partners?

H2o

You have Arizona @ #5, San Fran @ #7, Tennessee @ #8, Dallas @ #9, Washington @ #10, Minnesota @ #12, and Jacksonville @ #16 IMO. All of those teams are in the hunt for a QB, minus Dallas. The only reason I think Dallas may trade up is to ensure that they get Patrick Peterson. Arizona may want to get in front of Cincy to make sure they can get Gabbert or Newton. I don't see Harbaugh wanting his team to move up really with Luck not coming out until next year along with possibly Matt Barkley and Landry Fields. That likely pushes out San Fran. I think that Bud Adams would be reluctant to do a deal with Buffalo because a)he seems to have a general dislike for us and b)he was just burnt on a top 3 QB in VY. Dallas may want to move up to get Peterson like I said before. With Washington, I don't think they really have the salary cap room to pay a the #3 pick especially if it's a QB although that has never stopped Washington from making moves before. Somehow they came up with the money to overpay DeAngelo Hall and Albert Haynesworth, but Washington needs alot more help than just @ QB. Minnesota needs a QB desperately IMO. They have all of this talent around the position in Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, Adrian Peterson, and Vinsanthe Shiancoe, but no signal caller that is worth talking about. I think a rookie QB could be more successful in that environment because of the load that would be taken off by the talent around him. Jacksonville would have to give up alot to move up that far and they would have to really be sold on Gabbert or Newton to do such a thing. Likely their 1st, 2nd, and another pick. I think it's too much for them to be willing to pull the trigger. Seattle needs a QB too, but I don't think they are anywhere near the conversation of trading up that far. They are more likely to go with a day two prospect.

In the end I think the phones will ring on draft day and we will have realistic possibilities of trading down with two to four teams. I say two to four because I think Shanahan would covet Gabbert more so than Newton making them willing to make that move or how much Dallas is in love with Peterson. Those 4 teams will be Arizona, Dallas(if they want Peterson that much), Washington(if Gabbert is on the board), and Minnesota. I think that Arizona is the only sure fire bet to call on draft day though, trying to leapfrog Cincy if they are sold on a QB.

I proposed this earlier in a different thread, but I believe San Francisco to be our most likely trade-down partner. They have a need at QB, and if Gabbert or Newton slides to us at #3, I think they will be calling. They have an abundance of picks at their disposal (I think they have 12 now), and a new head coach who will be looking to draft the "new face" of his football team. Also, Harbaugh has been reported to be interested in Gabbert. He attempted to recruit him out of high school, as he believed Gabbert was the best pro-style QB of his class. We could likely obtain their 1st, 2nd, and 4th round picks as compensation.

IMO....this would be the best trade-down scenario for us as we would still be able to get a really good player at #7.

I proposed this earlier in a different thread, but I believe San Francisco to be our most likely trade-down partner. They have a need at QB, and if Gabbert or Newton slides to us at #3, I think they will be calling. They have an abundance of picks at their disposal (I think they have 12 now), and a new head coach who will be looking to draft the "new face" of his football team. Also, Harbaugh has been reported to be interested in Gabbert. He attempted to recruit him out of high school, as he believed Gabbert was the best pro-style QB of his class. We could likely obtain their 1st, 2nd, and 4th round picks as compensation.

IMO....this would be the best trade-down scenario for us as we would still be able to get a really good player at #7.

Did not know that and I think it would be great for us if things panned out that way.

I would say Washington and Minnesota, but I read an article the other day where Chan Gailey was asked if they had identified their top 3 players for this draft and he responded something like "Its not that simple. You cant just look at three guys, you have to look at more. If someone at 9 calls you up and gives you a great deal to trade back then you better have 9 guys you like"

Considering Nix and Gailey are pretty simple and straight forward, I suspect they have had conversations with Dallas to move back to 9. My guess is Dallas wants Peterson Bad. I am going to go Nostradamus right now and predict we trade back with Dallas and they take Peterson at 3.

Edited by Thoner7

I wouldn't mind them trading down...but, it depends on what's offered--meaning if it is for Gabbert or Newton at #3 and say San Fran, Titans or Vikings want him-they have to give up more picks than usual-because it is a potential franchise quarterback being traded up for!

It will be interesting if this does happen--considering in this draft you can only trade JUST picks & not players!

If this did happen..I could see us trading down and recieving one of the potential teams first pick in 2011, possibly second & maybe a second or a third in 2012!

In the end I think the phones will ring on draft day and we will have realistic possibilities of trading down with two to four teams. I say two to four because I think Shanahan would covet Gabbert more so than Newton making them willing to make that move or how much Dallas is in love with Peterson. Those 4 teams will be Arizona, Dallas(if they want Peterson that much), Washington(if Gabbert is on the board), and Minnesota. I think that Arizona is the only sure fire bet to call on draft day though, trying to leapfrog Cincy if they are sold on a QB.

I really dont think trading down is going to be an option the FO/Staff takes seriously unless its a mammoth of an offer. They have said repeatedly that its not very often you get to take a player this high and you dont anticipate the opportunity to do so again any where in the near future as no one expects their upcoming season to be as bad or worse than this one.

So, unless we get an offer to trade back to a spot close enough to where they feel like they will get a guy they covet, I doubt they will do so. There is a good chance that someone trying to trade with us is doing so to grab a guy we covet like one of the QB's, or stud D Lineman that doesnt go one or two.

I would personally love to see us trade back within the top 10 and grab more picks, but based on what the FO has said I dont expect them to give it any serious thought unless an offer we just cant refuse is on the table.

Without a new CBA, I don't think teams are going to want to trade up. Maybe Dallas would because Jerry Jones is bat **** crazy.

AGREED !!!

I disagree with you guys.

To me, there are a few inevitabilities regarding this work stoppage.

Firstly, it will eventually be resolved and NFL football will continue.

Secondly, any new CBA will include provisions for a rookie wage scale that affects mainly the first 10 picks in the draft.

This issue had been discussed during the mediation and was one of the "framework issues" that both sides had largely agreed to.

I think that trading up in the top 10 picks is more attractive than ever in the sense that teams that do so can be relatively certain that they will pay a smaller contract to that player than they have in the past.

none, Bills never trade down.

Nate Clements begs to differ.

Anyway I think the Rams might really like the idea of AJ Green. They might not need to get as high as 3, but might be another partner. I think the Rams are 14. Once you move down past 8 or 9 though it might be too risky that what's left won't work out for the Bills.

Anyway I think the Rams might really like the idea of AJ Green. They might not need to get as high as 3, but might be another partner. I think the Rams are 14. Once you move down past 8 or 9 though it might be too risky that what's left won't work out for the Bills.

Tyron Smith, Cameron Jordan, Anthony Castonzo, J.J. Watt, Aldon Smith, Muhammad Wilkerson, Derek Sherrod, Gabe Carimi. I'm sure we'd love to have any of those guys. One of them would certainly have to be there at 14.

Then Nate Clements walked in FA :thumbsup:

Edited by H2o

No trades this year...Only team who has the picks to make deals is Pats...

I wouldn't mind them trading down...but, it depends on what's offered--meaning if it is for Gabbert or Newton at #3 and say San Fran, Titans or Vikings want him-they have to give up more picks than usual-because it is a potential franchise quarterback being traded up for!

It will be interesting if this does happen--considering in this draft you can only trade JUST picks & not players!

If this did happen..I could see us trading down and recieving one of the potential teams first pick in 2011, possibly second & maybe a second or a third in 2012!

Can only trade this year's picks...

Minnesota is the sweet spot. It is not too far to fall and still get Quinn or Jordan. Even if players are not involved in the trades, as it will look like unless the injunction is won by the players and it enforces the old CBA on the owners, there is still plenty that Minn could give up to move up. Ideally it would be an extra second rounder, but if not I would take a third and next years 1st. Let's face it this team is more than one draft away. Adding another 1st rounder in 2012 may be the best option. It is highly likely there will be a rookie salary scale fro first rounders in the new CBA - it was the only thing the league and union agreed. Therefore having two number ones next year is not as big of a deal financially as it once was. Plus it allows even more trades in 2012 like what the Pats do year in and year out(thank god they have not drafted that well).

Edited by Dadonkadonk

No trades this year...Only team who has the picks to make deals is Pats...

Can only trade this year's picks...

Correct on both counts. And the Pats are stacked enough to get it done.

1st round, 17th overall (From Oakland)

1st round, 28th overall

2nd round, 33rd overall (From Carolina)

3rd round, 74th overall (From Minnesota) or 3rd round, 92nd overall

I agree with this, swap with SF and get an extra 2nd and 4th

I think ARI is also a candidate with us just getting their 2nd

past SF I think you're running into 2 problems, teams having enough picks to move up and you start getting beyond first tier guys- the Pats have a lot of picks but are you really going to get a game changer at 17? once you get beyond Watt, Jordan, Tyron Smith or past 12 or 13 you are in 3rd tier guys IMO.

My dream is ARI 1. QB 2. Bowers 3. QB 4. Peterson 5. Bills Dareus

Or SF 1.QB 2. Bowers 3. QB 4. Peterson 5 Miller 6. Green 7. Bills Dareus