Who Are Our Most Realistic Trade Down Partners?

H2o

You have Arizona @ #5, San Fran @ #7, Tennessee @ #8, Dallas @ #9, Washington @ #10, Minnesota @ #12, and Jacksonville @ #16 IMO. All of those teams are in the hunt for a QB, minus Dallas. The only reason I think Dallas may trade up is to ensure that they get Patrick Peterson. Arizona may want to get in front of Cincy to make sure they can get Gabbert or Newton. I don't see Harbaugh wanting his team to move up really with Luck not coming out until next year along with possibly Matt Barkley and Landry Fields. That likely pushes out San Fran. I think that Bud Adams would be reluctant to do a deal with Buffalo because a)he seems to have a general dislike for us and b)he was just burnt on a top 3 QB in VY. Dallas may want to move up to get Peterson like I said before. With Washington, I don't think they really have the salary cap room to pay a the #3 pick especially if it's a QB although that has never stopped Washington from making moves before. Somehow they came up with the money to overpay DeAngelo Hall and Albert Haynesworth, but Washington needs alot more help than just @ QB. Minnesota needs a QB desperately IMO. They have all of this talent around the position in Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, Adrian Peterson, and Vinsanthe Shiancoe, but no signal caller that is worth talking about. I think a rookie QB could be more successful in that environment because of the load that would be taken off by the talent around him. Jacksonville would have to give up alot to move up that far and they would have to really be sold on Gabbert or Newton to do such a thing. Likely their 1st, 2nd, and another pick. I think it's too much for them to be willing to pull the trigger. Seattle needs a QB too, but I don't think they are anywhere near the conversation of trading up that far. They are more likely to go with a day two prospect.

In the end I think the phones will ring on draft day and we will have realistic possibilities of trading down with two to four teams. I say two to four because I think Shanahan would covet Gabbert more so than Newton making them willing to make that move or how much Dallas is in love with Peterson. Those 4 teams will be Arizona, Dallas(if they want Peterson that much), Washington(if Gabbert is on the board), and Minnesota. I think that Arizona is the only sure fire bet to call on draft day though, trying to leapfrog Cincy if they are sold on a QB.

Well I like the post you put out and want to comment on some of it..I believe from what I have read that until the owners and players reach a CBA that there can be no roster movement involved in trades. We can trade picks from this years draft, but if I understand correctly we cannot trade future year draft picks. If so, this will extremely limit the number of trades that are made in each round..especially the first round where the price for moving up is considerable and usually can be offset slightly by including a pick from the following year to spice it up a bit!

If the Bills traded down for example to S.Fran's 7th pick in the draft it would cost S.Fran it's 1st rounder at #7 of course, but also probably it's 2nd rounder this year and maybe it's 3rd or 4th rounder as well (this year..)...that's really mortgaging the future on the 3rd pick in the draft which is only 4 spots up!

A team better KNOW that if they are moving up for a QB ie: Gabbert/Newton that that QB is more than probable to do very well in the NFL as a QB. I realize both QB's have talent, but each has a downside as well..Briefly..to me Newton is a red flag with talent, but a risk as far as his personal life and prior incidents. B. Gabbert has good intangibles, body composition, accuracy, leadership traits etc....but lacks on the statistical resume.

I don't think one can guarantee success of either QB....I think once Andrew Luck decided not to declare in this draft, the QB position became less impressive as a class. Blaine Gabbert really wasn't even in the discussion until Andrew Luck declined. I think it's natural for all of us to find someone else to fill his shoes and be declared "The Guy"

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss San Fran from the trade scenario though....as I heard it...Jim Harbaugh tried hard to recruit Blaine Gabbert at Stanford prior to landing Andrew Luck and really wanted him as his QB! Realizing that Harbaugh tried so hard to get him in college, I wouldn't think that Gabbert did anything to change Harbaugh's position on this young QB...

With two first round picks in the draft, I think New England is the only sure bet to trade one of their picks down or both of them to move to the top of the draft! Would you take two first round picks if you were Carolina to give up that first spot to New England? I think I would....and maybe one more pick might be tacked on to make it a no-brainer...but Belicheat isn't stupid, if he gets that pick, he may parlay that into something else and stun all the War rooms. Who would New England want with the first pick? Brady's replacement? Did Brady resign? If not, Having Gabbert or Newton waiting in the wings gives the Patriots leverage with Brady and what kind of trade would N.England be able to pull-off when the leaugue does authorize player trades again? Not that I think they would unload Brady, but Bellicheck never does the expected and somehow he always wins! (Darn it!)....

Well thanks for you post..very enjoyable despite my differences of opinion on a couple of issues. :thumbsup:

Although I'd love the opportunity to trade down, I don't think there is much of a chance at all of this happening since I really don't think either QB is worth what these teams would have to give up and most of these teams don't have the picks to do i,t as some have already stated. The only two teams crazy enough to gamble like this would be Washington and Dallas which would make my year. Also, the Pats rarely, rarely trade up and I would be absolutely shocked to see that happen. Odds are definitely in favor of the Bills using that #3 pick where it sits.

Did not know that and I think it would be great for us if things panned out that way.

Except that we only get an extra 2nd and 4th rounder for trading down. I think that would be too less to move from #3 to #12 especially for a QB needy team. If the 49ers pull this off, that would be an awesome trade for them.

Except that we only get an extra 2nd and 4th rounder for trading down. I think that would be too less to move from #3 to #12 especially for a QB needy team. If the 49ers pull this off, that would be an awesome trade for them.

The 49ers have the #7 pick. :thumbsup:

San Francisco at 7 is the most realistic. They have TWELVE draft picks.

1. First round, No. 7 (7th overall)

2. Second round, No. 13 (45th overall)

3. Third round, No. 12 (76th overall)

4. Fourth round, No. 11 (108th overall)

5. Fourth round, No. 18 (115th overall, from San Diego in 2010 draft-day trade)

6. Fifth round, No. 10 (141st overall)

7. Sixth round, No. 9 (174th overall)

8. Sixth round, No. 25 (190th overall, from Seattle for DT Kentwan Balmer)

9. Seventh round, No. 8 (210th overall)

10. Seventh round, No. 30 (230th overall, from Detroit for QB Shaun Hill) (Jets' original pick in the round)

11. Seventh round, No. 38 (238th overall, compensatory)

12. Seventh round, No. 49 (249th overall, compensatory)

They'd pony up a 2nd and 4th for an exchange of firsts. This allows them to get a QB (or Peterson), and it gives the Bills a draft something like this. Not too shabby.

1 7 Buffalo Nick Fairley DE/DT

2 34 Buffalo Brooks Reed OLB

2 45 Buffalo Kelvin Sheppard ILB

3 68 Buffalo Colin Kaepernick QB

4 100 Buffalo Casey Matthews ILB

4 108 Buffalo Kenrick Ellis NT

4 122 Buffalo Ricky Elmore OLB

5 133 Buffalo Derek Hall RT

6 169 Buffalo Chris L. Rucker CB

7 206 Buffalo Zach Pianalto TE

7 244 Buffalo Andre Smith TE

San Francisco at 7 is the most realistic. They have TWELVE draft picks.

1. First round, No. 7 (7th overall)

2. Second round, No. 13 (45th overall)

3. Third round, No. 12 (76th overall)

4. Fourth round, No. 11 (108th overall)

5. Fourth round, No. 18 (115th overall, from San Diego in 2010 draft-day trade)

6. Fifth round, No. 10 (141st overall)

7. Sixth round, No. 9 (174th overall)

8. Sixth round, No. 25 (190th overall, from Seattle for DT Kentwan Balmer)

9. Seventh round, No. 8 (210th overall)

10. Seventh round, No. 30 (230th overall, from Detroit for QB Shaun Hill) (Jets' original pick in the round)

11. Seventh round, No. 38 (238th overall, compensatory)

12. Seventh round, No. 49 (249th overall, compensatory)

They'd pony up a 2nd and 4th for an exchange of firsts. This allows them to get a QB (or Peterson), and it gives the Bills a draft something like this. Not too shabby.

1 7 Buffalo Nick Fairley DE/DT

2 34 Buffalo Brooks Reed OLB

2 45 Buffalo Kelvin Sheppard ILB

3 68 Buffalo Colin Kaepernick QB

4 100 Buffalo Casey Matthews ILB

4 108 Buffalo Kenrick Ellis NT

4 122 Buffalo Ricky Elmore OLB

5 133 Buffalo Derek Hall RT

6 169 Buffalo Chris L. Rucker CB

7 206 Buffalo Zach Pianalto TE

7 244 Buffalo Andre Smith TE

Gotta be more than a 2nd and a 4th, Astro??