Tweaking DraftTek's New Mock

Astrobot

I'd rather have Newton in the 1st. I dint see any point in drafting a position for a scheme we don't run. If we were gonna do that I'd rathe have Peterson in the 1st. At least he's the best player availabe at a position of need for the scheme we run.

I don't know much about Reed but everyone seems to like him so I'll assume he's a steal. I really liked Acho if he was available there instead myself. And if Ingram was there (regardless of our strength there) you almost have to take him.

I like Kaepernick in the 3rd. I'd also like Ponder or Locker at this point if available. This is all dependant on taking a QB in the 1st or not.

I'd rather have Casey Mathews in the 4th round as well as Virgil Green if available over White and Brown.

I'd also take Brown from Texas or Shiloh Tao here. Tao is going to be the next Palamalu type player in my opinion. I'm really big on him.

Plenty of changes could be made. I do like the positions drafted for the most part on the simulator. I'd just change the need ranges a bit.

Overall, I wouldn't hate this draft. I really like Kaepernick. I think the kid could be one of the most energizing players in this draft. He screams steal.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the most exciting mock Ive seen, but not horrible either.

I like the 1st pick and the 2nd is ok, although it feels like we're leaving talent on the board from rounds 2 through 5...

If I may do a "Capt Hindsight" Mock based off of this mock, and re-choose out of the players available at the time, my first 4 picks would be:

1. Newton

2. Heyward

3. Moch

4. Matthews

If our first 4 picks were this right here i'd possibly cancel my playboy subscription because this is all the excitement I'd ever need. Can we add Virgil Green with our second 4th? I'm still gonna beg for Shiloh Tao at some point too.

What I don't understand are the mocks that take OLB and QB before addressing our #32 run defense with DE pressure and ILB quickness.

There are only a few decent ILB's in this draft. In my opinion, they include Mo Linebackers Sturdivant, McCarthy, and Casey Matthews, and to a lesser extent Jones-Irving-Bynes and Homan. Mike Linebackers Wilson, Sheppard, Foster, and Ayers are good, better than Wright-Herzlich (although I like his attitude)-White-McCarthy.

We will not get anyone as good or better than Poz and Batten after RD3, and RD3 is pushing it.

With the depth of DE/LB in this draft, and the fact that there is a big drop off from the "top" QBs to the 2nd tier, I feel that we can get our Franchise QB up front, and use the rest of the draft on D.

What do you think about my Hindsight mock, based off the mock you posted?

1. Newton

2. Heyward

3. Moch

4. Matthews

That's a QB first, but then certainly addresses major defensive needs with (what I believe to be) pretty good talent. If we can add another 3 players on par with Troup,Carrington,Moats then that's pretty good towards the rebuild. We should be able to add talent like that outside of round 1.

With the depth of DE/LB in this draft, and the fact that there is a big drop off from the "top" QBs to the 2nd tier, I feel that we can get our Franchise QB up front, and use the rest of the draft on D.

What do you think about my Hindsight mock, based off the mock you posted?

1. Newton

2. Heyward

3. Moch

4. Matthews

That's a QB first, but then certainly addresses major defensive needs with (what I believe to be) pretty good talent. If we can add another 3 players on par with Troup,Carrington,Moats then that's pretty good towards the rebuild. We should be able to add talent like that outside of round 1.

Your selections are excellent. I would take your picks and walk away happen from the draft if it followed your script. The only difference I might have is that I would like to add a OT/RT prospect with either the third or fourth pick.

I was pumped to see the results of DraftTek's latest mock draft. I could definitely see this unfold in 35 days. Much of what is said in these last 5 weeks will be smoke and mirrors. I'd love it if these were the Bills' picks.

Tell me what you think, because you actually have a voice in setting our positional needs. TSW is the only board I come to to discuss what needs to feed into our computer mock.

Astro

Would have taken Quinn in this scenario but Gabbert is the way to go.

I love the work you put into it Astro and look forward to your posts.

However, while I like the focus on defense, I'm not a fan of this draft specifically, especially the Fairley and Reed picks. I'm with Mayock that Fairley has bust potential. Reed is yet another "high motor" guy, PP 2.0.

http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1.asp

While I see the Newton Love beginning to build, I am reminded of Bulaga Love and how fickle she can be. Take the BPA at each pick, and let the draft come to you, Buddy.

In my mock in another thread I had Matthews in the 4th and Lee Smith in the 7th. Did you copy that from me?

I have since removed Smith from the 7th because I'm not sure.

I think there is a good chance that this could be the way the first five picks go unless someone just goes way off base on their pick, although I would pick Bowers in place of Fairley and take Paea in place of Reed. Also, if New England gets JJ Watt and Nate Solder like in this mock, we're in serious trouble.

However, while I like the focus on defense, I'm not a fan of this draft specifically, especially the Fairley and Reed picks. I'm with Mayock that Fairley has bust potential. Reed is yet another "high motor" guy, PP 2.0.

I don't agree with your assessment of Reed. The guy is an animal. He plays just like Clay Matthews.

Reed's 6-foot-3, 263-pounds and he recorded 47 tackles, 6 1/2 sacks and 10 tackles for losses last season. At the combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.65 seconds, bench pressed 225 pounds 30 times, posted a 30 1/2 inch vertical leap and a 9-5 broad jump. Reed also had the top 10-yard split among all defensive linemen. I would love to see him in a bills uniform. I would throw a damn brick through my television if the Patsies picked him at #33.

http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1.asp

While I see the Newton Love beginning to build, I am reminded of Bulaga Love and how fickle she can be. Take the BPA at each pick, and let the draft come to you, Buddy.

I'm not huge on Fairley, especially if we are sticking with the 3-4. If we can get Reed in the 2nd I will be surprised because I think he will go in the 1st to the Pats* or Jets. I think Kaepernick in the 3rd would be a good value. Casey Matthews doesn't fit the mold of getting bigger on the defensive front 7. Don't know anything about Derek Newton and would prefer Barksdale if he's still on the board. I don't know much about Nield, just what I've read in a couple of reports are seemingly positive. Hogan, Smith, and O'Dowd, I got nothing. I wouldn't be terribly upset, but I think our first three draft picks are going to be:

1. Von Miller / LB / Texas A&M

2. Gabe Carimi / OT / Wisconsin

3. Kelvin Sheppard / LB / LSU

After that, it's a crap shoot.

Fairley and Reed peaks my interest. I don't see as a bust. I see him as a solid DE. I would prefer Cam Jordan.

Casey Matthews is PP 2.0 we have to stay away from him. LSU's Sheppard will be on the radar screen, time to replace Poz.

Edited by VADC Bills

I'd love to see fairley in a bills jersey (has the ability to disrupt the interior and free up those ends) but doubt that either solder or kaepernick will be available in the second and third rounds respectively. Personally, I would love to see Kaep. taken in the second round (if he's still available?), he has all the ability in the world and absolutely no off the field questions.

Great piece on him at nfl.com

My link

Edited by bigtimetimmyjim

I'd love to see fairley in a bills jersey (has the ability to disrupt the interior and free up those ends) but doubt that either solder or kaepernick will be available in the second and third rounds respectively. Personally, I would love to see Kaep. taken in the second round (if he's still available?), he has all the ability in the world and absolutely no off the field questions.

Great piece on him at nfl.com

My link

He Sucks!