Tweaking DraftTek's New Mock

Astrobot

I was pumped to see the results of DraftTek's latest mock draft. I could definitely see this unfold in 35 days. Much of what is said in these last 5 weeks will be smoke and mirrors. I'd love it if these were the Bills' picks.

Tell me what you think, because you actually have a voice in setting our positional needs. TSW is the only board I come to to discuss what needs to feed into our computer mock.

Astro

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I loved the latest edition! The only tweek I'd add is Casey Matthews for Chris White. Everyone else is a slam dunk!! I love the first two hondo's as Brooks Reed is my favorite player, or at least one of them, and Nick Fairley is UNFAIRLY dropping in this meat market known as the draft! Simply love it....

I was pumped to see the results of DraftTek's latest mock draft. I could definitely see this unfold in 35 days. Much of what is said in these last 5 weeks will be smoke and mirrors. I'd love it if these were the Bills' picks.

Tell me what you think, because you actually have a voice in setting our positional needs. TSW is the only board I come to to discuss what needs to feed into our computer mock.

Astro

I'd be pretty happy with that draft.

Although with the #3 I think Ponder is a no brainer over Kapernick. Plus I personally think the mum stance on Ponder is tell tale that they may really like Ponder a lot, that may be over thinking it but Gailey spent a lot of time with Ponder during Senior Bowl week.

Although I would probably take Colin McCarthy, Bruce Carter, or Ras-I Dawling instead of Kapernick or Ponder.

And take my boy Moffit in the 4th although I expect a choir for Casey Mathews.

I don't know anything about Derek Newton, but I couldn't wait for all "We got Newton threads" Either way you need some O-Line in the mix in the draft class, better late than never.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Cant argue with the 1st pick one bit. I like all the guys we land but I would do it a bit different. As always I think your sites player rankings are a bit off though. Who determines them anyways?

I like that they dance to the beat of their own drummer you can tell they're not recycling.

They are more often right that wrong imo.

The one difference I find so strange at Draftek is Pouncy in the late 2nd. There is no question he will go in the #20-40. There is no no no way, a sure thing like Pouncy goes that late. There is almost 0 risk drafting him and that goes a long way when it comes to the draft.

I like that they dance to the beat of their own drummer you can tell they're not recycling.

They are more often right that wrong imo.

The one difference I find so strange at Draftek is Pouncy in the late 2nd. There is no question he will go in the #20-40. There is no no no way, a sure thing like Pouncy goes that late. There is almost 0 risk drafting him and that goes a long way when it comes to the draft.

Thats the one guy I have always seen very late in their stuff and always think its too late. They have us taking Brooks Reed and he always seemed more like a 3rd round prospect for us. There are a handful of others too, but I can appreciate them establishing their own rankings, and as a whole I bet they are pretty accurate (they have Solder going in the 2nd, which is the lastest I have seen him going by far, which I feel is accurate[but he should still go later if you ask me])

First off, I loved the latest edition! The only tweek I'd add is Casey Matthews for Chris White. Everyone else is a slam dunk!! I love the first two hondo's as Brooks Reed is my favorite player, or at least one of them, and Nick Fairley is UNFAIRLY dropping in this meat market known as the draft! Simply love it....

I've put a GRAB in on Matthews in RD4. Should be there. The best argument for Casey over White is that Casey is a better WILB and White is possibly the better SILB--but he's 20 pounds lighter and doesn't have the DNA.

Edited by Astrobot

I'd be pretty happy with that draft.

Although with the #3 I think Ponder is a no brainer over Kapernick. Plus I personally think the mum stance on Ponder is tell tale that they may really like Ponder a lot, that may be over thinking it but Gailey spent a lot of time with Ponder during Senior Bowl week.

Although I would probably take Colin McCarthy, Bruce Carter, or Ras-I Dawling instead of Kapernick or Ponder.

And take my boy Moffit in the 4th although I expect a choir for Casey Mathews.

I don't know anything about Derek Newton, but I couldn't wait for all "We got Newton threads" Either way you need some O-Line in the mix in the draft class, better late than never.

I think Ponder and Kaepernick is a wash (Ponder=shorter, shoulder injury but SEC competition), so I'd go to the tiebreaker of who would pick up an NFL playbook faster. I think Kaepernick has the edge there. No doubt Nix-Gailey liked Ponder on the South squad, though. Ponder has more drop-back experience in play action, and was MVP of the Senior Bowl, so you may be right.

I like John Moffitt. He'd be dynamite depth behind Wood at OC-OG, but what do you do with Hangartner?

We'll take an RT in this draft, but I like some 6th-Round guys. We may have to ramp up the RT need. The computer seems to like to give us an OC over an RT in the later rounds.

Thats the one guy I have always seen very late in their stuff and always think its too late. They have us taking Brooks Reed and he always seemed more like a 3rd round prospect for us. There are a handful of others too, but I can appreciate them establishing their own rankings, and as a whole I bet they are pretty accurate (they have Solder going in the 2nd, which is the lastest I have seen him going by far, which I feel is accurate[but he should still go later if you ask me])

While we see him drafted by NEP* as early as Round 1, we feel that this Pouncey isn't THAT Pouncey. Here's what our O-Line expert says:

"When is a twin not a twin? When one is named Maurkice and the other is named Mike! Florida’s Mike Pouncey has the size and athleticism to be a quality OG in the NFL but the short experiment at OC failed miserably. Has a quick initial punch in pass blocking before easing out of his stance – he gets away with this due to his balance and lateral agility, allowing him to mirror the defender and control with his long arms. Pad level is entirely too high – he was able to get away with these flaws in college, but not at the next level.... effective on traps, but doesn’t always show the effort in getting to the next level and is inconsistent downfield. If Mike decides to “pick up his lunch bucket and go to work”, he will be a fine pro.

Brooks Reed is just below Justin Houston on our Big Board, #38 overall. Houston will go in RD1, but Brooks Reed can play OLB34, DE43, or ILB. He's a maniac. Here's a good clip:

http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/play/nfl_draft_linebackers/hN5Uy2oKEcIOYk6nhpdLRH0PvxYlyO0a

I think Ponder and Kaepernick is a wash (Ponder=shorter, shoulder injury but SEC competition), so I'd go to the tiebreaker of who would pick up an NFL playbook faster. I think Kaepernick has the edge there. No doubt Nix-Gailey liked Ponder on the South squad, though. Ponder has more drop-back experience in play action, and was MVP of the Senior Bowl, so you may be right.

I like John Moffitt. He'd be dynamite depth behind Wood at OC-OG, but what do you do with Hangartner?

We'll take an RT in this draft, but I like some 6th-Round guys. We may have to ramp up the RT need. The computer seems to like to give us an OC over an RT in the later rounds.

Hangartner is on the 3rd year of a 4 year 10 mil contract. He seems like a journeyman O-Line man, and has some major missed assignments a few times a game. I'm of the mindset that Wood was drafted as the long term solution at C at Hangartner played better than expected. Its strange to draft a RG in the 1st round. There is probably an accelerated 4th year salary with a a roster bonus so I wouldn't be suprised if Hangartner is cut after this season if a replacement Guard pans out.

That Means the line would like Bell Levitre Wood Moffit RT, for the long term. Which is the makings of a pretty sick O-Line.

(BTW Ponder is ACC, which is pretty much as strong as the WAC)

I would be thrilled with this draft. Only changes I would make would be in round 4, id go Virgil Green and Demarcus Love/Greg Jones

Me like Virgil Green. Could see them going TE in RD4 (having recently seen the depth chart at TE, we're banking on Shawn Nelson's migraines being really gone, and that ain't a good bet. I like DJ Williams too, but that's too early for the Bills to draft TE.

In the early going, we were thinking Love would be a 3rd Rounder. He's value in RD4, especially at that 2nd RD4 pick.

Hangartner is on the 3rd year of a 4 year 10 mil contract. He seems like a journeyman O-Line man, and has some major missed assignments a few times a game. I'm of the mindset that Wood was drafted as the long term solution at C at Hangartner played better than expected. Its strange to draft a RG in the 1st round. There is probably an accelerated 4th year salary with a a roster bonus so I wouldn't be suprised if Hangartner is cut after this season if a replacement Guard pans out.

That Means the line would like Bell Levitre Wood Moffit RT, for the long term. Which is the makings of a pretty sick O-Line.

(BTW Ponder is ACC, which is pretty much as strong as the WAC)

Agree about Hangartner. I just don't see the Bills drafting at Guard this year. They love Urbik (When they got him Nix said they now had the top 3 o-linemen on their board--Wood, Levitre, and Urbik), and I think they'll give him a shot, esp if Wood becomes full-time Center. Wang will also be in the mix as a guard. Wrotto, Brown, Howard and others are backups.

I don't get the Carimi infatuation ?? I watched some tape of him on utube & Bowers just took him to the wood shed , he couldn't stop the guy so that tells me if he can't stop the guy in college what will he be able to do against NFL talent ???

Great draft. Would love this. I'd also love a shot at Stephen Paea, Luke Stocker, Kelvin Sheppard, Mark Herzlich, James Brewer, Joseph Barksdale, and Kendrick Burney as some possible alternates.

I notice that Drafttek's rankings vary pretty widely from most other consensus board rankings I've seen so some of these guys may not be available where they have them in each round, but if they are it would be a great draft.

Is it April 28th yet? ;)

P.S. I still hope we can get a trade down offer that's worth it before any other scenario. Lots of needs to fill.

Edited by hammie65

I don't get the Carimi infatuation ?? I watched some tape of him on utube & Bowers just took him to the wood shed , he couldn't stop the guy so that tells me if he can't stop the guy in college what will he be able to do against NFL talent ???

Carimi and Sherrod can be there in RD2. Carimi may not be the guy to protect the blind side in a pass offense, but he's one of the best run blockers in the draft. He's also one of the most experienced (4 years at LT),and we thought he handled the speed rush well at the Senior Bowl. He'd likely be a Pro Bowl RT. Carimi reminds our O-Line expert at DraftTek of a favorite here last year, Bulaga. Here's some more on Carimi from Longball, DraftTek's Director of Scouting:

"The first thing that pops off the tape with Carimi is how quick he is right off the snap. It takes him no time to bounce out of his set and engage with a defender. He's very aggressive with his hands and will maintain an excellent hand-punch through the play. While he's not a comfortable second-level blocker, he down-blocks very well -- this is where his power is displayed. Having played LOT, he has an excellent kick-step and ability to fan back in pass protection and because of his excellent technique off the snap, he's less susceptible to inside moves.

Carimi also has good short-area pop when he chips off the line and goes after linebackers in goal-line situations...."

I've put a GRAB in on Matthews in RD4. Should be there. The best argument for Casey over White is that Casey is a better WILB and White is possibly the better SILB--but he's 20 pounds lighter and doesn't have the DNA.

I think White would be better suited playing alongside Poz. Poz needs someone to take on the extra OL so he can make a play on the ball.

I wouldn't be opposed to draft another ILB instead of the Derek Newton selection, someone like Bynes would also serve that purpose as the SILB.

I'm intrigued with Anthony Gray, I don't know much about him but I read on another board where Steelers fans could see some potential out of him to be their next Casey Hampton.

So the draft summary would be:

#3: Nick Fairley DE/DT

#34: Brooks Reed DE/OLB

#68: Colin Kapernick QB (or Chris Ponder)

#99: Chris White ILB

#121: Jalil Brown CB

#130: Derek Newton ROT (I would go with Josh Bynes here ILB or Nate Irving ILB)

#164: Anthony Gray NT

#195: Ryan Bartholomew OC

Sounds good.

Astro

I'm fine with Fairley, but imo it would be unthinkable to pass on Mallett in round 2. It won't matter because he will be long gone.

Also, we could use a player like Preston Dial on this team. Even if he can't play TE (and he might e better than what we have), he would make a huge impact on special teams.

Again.....jmo.

I'd like it 'stro. I like Paea a great deal and I think that he will be an excellent pro, but the pick of Fairley makes Brooks the logical choice (I'd be very tempted by Solder if he were still on the board too). I like Ponder over Kaepernick as at least one other has mentioned.

TE is left as a glaring need that will have to be filled elsewhere.