say we select QB Blaine Gabbert with our 1st

papazoid

lets say Carolina picks Dareus, Denver picks Fairly or Peterson.

we pick Gabbert, he sits all year. we finish dead last and have 1st overall pick next year.

would you select Andrew Luck assuming he continues to be the obvious best player.

we pick Gabbert, he sits all year. we finish dead last and have 1st overall pick next year.

would you select Andrew Luck assuming he continues to be the obvious best player.

Well first of all, and I know it's a hypothetical, but there is no way we finish dead last this season. Even last year when a third of the board was screaming we wouldn't win a game, we won 4 and easily(for lack of a better word) could have won 7 or 8. But if that scenario were ever to turn out, picking Gabbert at 3 means the top brass thinks he is a franchise qb which in turn means that they wouldn't pick another one next year.

The answer is yes, because you can trade the lesser of the 2 QBs. It worked for Jimmy Johnson when he selected Troy Aikman & Steve Walsh in the same year and decided to keep Aikman & traded Walsh to NO. The problem is if the lesser is a bust & they keep him too long, then his trade value goes way down. Now if the bust is Gabbert-they better draft Luck.

So the idea here is to spend a #3 pick this year on a QB we may never use--and then trade him next year for, what, a 3rd or 4th round pick?

How bout we don't pick a QB this year and if we have the first pick next year we take Luck.

So the idea here is to spend a #3 pick this year on a QB we may never use--and then trade him next year for, what, a 3rd or 4th round pick?

How bout we don't pick a QB this year and if we have the first pick next year we take Luck.

its a hypothetical stay with the program. THis team will never be a serious playoff team until they improve QB.

here's possible problem.....we do NOT pick a QB with our first round pick this year. between the draft and free agency we improve to 6 - 8 wins. we have no shot at Luck or any other franchise QB next year. i'm fine with Fitz for a year or two....but at some point this team needs a franchise QB.

btw- Gabbert just had a very high +40 Wonderlic.

common papa...stop the madness

its a hypothetical stay with the program. THis team will never be a serious playoff team until they improve QB.

I'm with the program of improving at QB, but the logic of taking a #3 first round pick and turning it into a future 3rd or 4th rounder escapes me--unless you think he will take over from Fitz for most or all of the season--and will lead us to the first pick in the 2012 draft.

common papa...stop the madness

i'm trying to increase page hits....lol.....seriously tho.....assume we pick a QB #1 this year. that player most likely sits all year. that hurts our chances of improving our team and record, while other teams are improving by adding a starter. we will likely be picking very high again next year and possibly #1 overall.

for me, my dream player is Andrew Luck, i really think he's going to be special. i think he could start day 1. i am also very high on Gabbert, but think he will need a year of seasoning. i am not a fan of Cam Newton. the bills are in a tough spot because they will absolutely be picking a QB this year by round 3. there is nobody backing up Fitz. they also MUST get a franchise QB this year or next. either way, the path is frought with risk, we could pass on a QB this year and get screwed next year...or grab a franchise QB this year and then have my dream player Luck, fall in our lap.

I'm with the program of improving at QB, but the logic of taking a #3 first round pick and turning it into a future 3rd or 4th rounder escapes me--unless you think he will take over from Fitz for most or all of the season--and will lead us to the first pick in the 2012 draft.

You take a QB at #3 if you think he is your guy. If by some small chance you finish last and have a shot at one of the best QB prospects in the past 15 years, you take him too.

The best franchises are built on picking the best players. You can keep Luck and trade Gabbert. It's not something you strategize to do but it would be the right move. Youre not taking him with the thoguht of turning him into a 3rd rounder---its quite possible you would get more for him btw.

QBs have higher value than any other position and the return would be worth it.

You take a QB at #3 if you think he is your guy. If by some small chance you finish last and have a shot at one of the best QB prospects in the past 15 years, you take him too.

The best franchises are built on picking the best players. You can keep Luck and trade Gabbert. It's not something you strategize to do but it would be the right move. Youre not taking him with the thoguht of turning him into a 3rd rounder---its quite possible you would get more for him btw.

QBs have higher value than any other position and the return would be worth it.

I agree that QB has the highest value, but if we pick him and we are the worst team in the league because of that choice, how does his value go up?

Not going to take him - they won't pick a guy who wasn't even the best QB in the division of his conference much less the nation. I don't think anyone will touch him until the third round. He was the fifth best QB in the big 12. That said regardless of who you draft if your in position to take Luck you take him.

Not going to take him - they won't pick a guy who wasn't even the best QB in the division of his conference much less the nation. I don't think anyone will touch him until the third round. He was the fifth best QB in the big 12. That said regardless of who you draft if your in position to take Luck you take him.

What if Luck turns into Jake Locker next year?

If the Bills have the #1 overall when Andrew Luck comes out, you take Andrew Luck, or you trade the pick for the entire draft class of a team 1-7 (and probably a few picks the next year) a la the Ricky Williams trade. There will be multiple teams lining up to make that trade.

The smarter play would be to take Luck and trade Gabbert for a 2nd.

2 No.1 picks on QBs two drafts in a row? Really? If we finish dead last we will need more help than another rookie QB.

What if Luck turns into Jake Locker next year?

Jack Locker was 5-7 his junior with a 58% completion percentage and 21TDs and 11 Ints did pretty much the same thing his Senior year 6-6 55% completion percentage 17TDs and 9 INts with a Bowl win.

So if Luck does the same thing that Locker did, have pretty much the same performance and get two more wins. Then Luck would be coming off a season where he led his team to winning the National Championship and would be without a doubt the #1 overall pick.

Edited by Why So Serious?

That's what I love about this board. It's such a haven for optimists. What if the weatherman predicts sun tomorrow and then it snows. Would you still think the sun might come out again someday or stick with the snowy forecast?

That's what I love about this board. It's such a haven for optimists. What if the weatherman predicts sun tomorrow and then it snows. Would you still think the sun might come out again someday or stick with the snowy forecast?

Whats interesting about this, is that most people would feel that the Bills being in a position to draft Andrew Luck is a sunny day.

If anyone thinks the 2011 Bills are going to the playoffs, well I don't think thats optimism, I think thats delusional.

If anyone thinks the 2011 Bills are going to the playoffs, well I don't think thats optimism, I think thats delusional.

You're making quite a leap there aren't you? Worst in the NFL, #1 pick in the 2012 draft or playoffs? Let's keep it real, shall we?

you asked for it....lol

The sun'll come out

Tomorrow

Bet your bottom dollar

That tomorrow

There'll be sun!

Just thinkin' about

Tomorrow

Clears away the cobwebs,

And the sorrow

'Til there's none!

When I'm stuck a day

That's gray,

And lonely,

I just stick out my chin

And Grin,

And Say,

Oh

The sun'll come out

Tomorrow

So ya gotta hang on

'Til tomorrow

Come what may

Tomorrow!

Tomorrow!

I love ya

Tomorrow!

You're always

A day

A way!

You're making quite a leap there aren't you? Worst in the NFL, #1 pick in the 2012 draft or playoffs? Let's keep it real, shall we?

Not sure if I follow you here.

I'm saying the Bills will most likely be 6-10 with #9 pick. Does it get any more real?

Another Overcast day with a few glimpses of sunshine breaking through the clouds.

Whats interesting about this, is that most people would feel that the Bills being in a position to draft Andrew Luck is a sunny day.

Well you can count me among those that doesn't believe finishing dead last is a sunny day scenario. A psychologist could have a field day analyzing that mindset. And for the record, I didn't say a word about making the playoffs. I was just having a bit of fun with the defeatist mentality of some people on this board.

Not sure if I follow you here.

I'm saying the Bills will most likely be 6-10 with #9 pick. Does it get any more real?

Another Overcast day with a few glimpses of sunshine breaking through the clouds.

You're deriding another poster because he appears to have some optimism. If that wasn't your intention then think about what you post before you hit the 'add reply' key.

To quote you:

The poster you're quoting didn't mention anything about the playoffs, you did.

you asked for it....lol

The sun'll come out

Tomorrow

Bet your bottom dollar

That tomorrow

There'll be sun!

Just thinkin' about

Tomorrow

Clears away the cobwebs,

And the sorrow

'Til there's none!

When I'm stuck a day

That's gray,

And lonely,

I just stick out my chin

And Grin,

And Say,

Oh

The sun'll come out

Tomorrow

So ya gotta hang on

'Til tomorrow

Come what may

Tomorrow!

Tomorrow!

I love ya

Tomorrow!

You're always

A day

A way!

LOL, well it sure beats singing a song about how the sun will never come out again, which is the tune that seems to emanate from this space most of the time.

You're deriding another poster because he appears to have some optimism. If that wasn't your intention then think about what you post before you hit the 'add reply' key.

To quote you:

The poster you're quoting didn't mention anything about the playoffs, you did.

There was nothing contemptuous about my post. If mods want to ride people for the tone of their posts, there are better places to start then that post.

There is a 0 in a million chance we take Gabbert. If we don't take Newton in the first then we problaby won't take a QB. End Story. And for all you praying we get Andrew Luck we better lose all but 2 game, I doubt the Bills will be that bad...

Yeah I tend to agree, I'd say it's more like 10 in a million the Bills take Gabbert, but I thought the OP presented a pretty fun scenario. That is a major "What If."

Well first off, your hypothetical situation is a bit flawed. If the bills were to lose every game or finish last there is noway Gabbert does not see the field at some point this year.

But say if we did take Gabbert there is noway we take Luck the following year. The Bills would have about $100 million in guaranteed to 2 QBs. If we did have the number #1 again next year & were fortunate enough to have it the year Luck comes out, my guess is Nix would hold an auction & get about 2 years worth of draft picks for the right to pick Luck.

OK...say my friend plays a practical joke on me & shaves my armpits & legs in the middle of the night while I'm sleeping. Then the next day I'm in a hunting accident and my reproductive organs are shot off. Then, as fate would have it, soon after I get this infection in my larynx & my speaking voice raises by three octives. Should I have my drivers license changed to say I'm a girl?

Edited by Enuf-is-Enuf

OK...say my friend plays a practical joke on me & shaves my armpits & legs in the middle of the night while I'm sleeping. Then the next day I'm in a hunting accident and my reproductive organs are shot off. Then, as fate would have it, soon after I get this infection in my larynx & my speaking voice raises by three octives. Should I have my drivers license changed to say I'm a girl?

LOL,not gonna touch that one.

Jack Locker was 5-7 his junior with a 58% completion percentage and 21TDs and 11 Ints did pretty much the same thing his Senior year 6-6 55% completion percentage 17TDs and 9 INts with a Bowl win.

So if Luck does the same thing that Locker did, have pretty much the same performance and get two more wins. Then Luck would be coming off a season where he led his team to winning the National Championship and would be without a doubt the #1 overall pick.

Nice try. In 2010, he had 4 games with less than 75 yards passing and less than a 75 rating--including the bowl game. In those 4 games, he threw total of 1 TD.

No one would draft Luck at #1 if he had a season anything like that.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Nice try. In 2010, he had 4 games with less than 75 yards passing and less than a 75 rating--including the bowl game. In those 4 games, he threw total of 1 TD.

No one would draft Luck at #1 if he had a season anything like that.

My Point is Jake Locker's 2009 and 2010 were similar the biggest difference is Jake Locker added 2 more wins in 2010, using that logic,

if Andrew Luck has a similar 2011 to his 2010 season and adds 2 more wins he'll be in good shape. :thumbsup:

Edited by Why So Serious?