Steve Sabol has brain tumor

Beerball

Actually, I posted this several years ago, too....

Link

I think it was summed up best by an autograph Steve Sabol got when he was a teen. (And this was straight from the horse's mouth when "60 Minutes" did a profile on NFL Films last year.) To wit:

"To Steve, a schmuck if I ever met one, Vince Lombardi"

I believe that was meant in jest on Lombardi's part....

They don't go into the nature of the tumor, but here's hoping for a swift treatment and recovery.

He seems like a great guy. He and his dad help make the NFL as popular as it is. I will thinking of him and hope that he gets better.

My thoughts too. Let us all pray his health holds in time for the HOF later in the year.

Peter King's comment from his Monday Morning QB article, if anyone's interested -

The case of Steve Sabol.

The news is tough for the NFL Films czar. Five weeks after he got the soaring news that his dad, NFL Films founder Ed Sabol, was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Sabol was told the reason for his seizure at a Kansas City banquet Feb. 5: He has a tumor in his brain, which doctors will try to shrink through chemotherapy and radiation.

Steve Sabol is at home in New Jersey now; I'm told he was his old self, making jokes about himself and anything else he could think of over the weekend. He's girding for the fight of his life, obviously. I've asked people on Twitter and in the column to e-mail Sabol their thoughts at Sabol.NFLFilms@NFL.com, and today I'll ask those who want to drop him a card to do so at:

Steve Sabol

1 NFL Films Plaza

Mount Laurel, NJ 08054

He loves hearing from you. I know he does. And I know how much so many of you love what Sabol has done over the years. For so many, he's been a lifeline to a love of football. Well, that lifeline needs you now. Drop him a note if you can. Thanks.