ESPN John Clayton Q&A

Whatever you do, dont count up the DBs :wallbash:

I did count the DB's, wow, 11 1st rounders and 8 2nd rounders!!

QB Richie Lucas of Penn State was the Bills first pick in their first draft in 1960.

Interesting info I didn't know about that pick:

The 1960 American Football League Draft was held on November 22, 1959, shortly after the organization of the league, and lasted 33 rounds. An additional draft of 20 rounds was held by the AFL on December 2.

Each AFL team had "territorial rights" to players from its general region for a first draft selection, so that teams could sign players who were known to their fans. These were not "picked" as such, but agreed on by consensus. The first territorial or "bonus" picks for each team were:

Boston Patriots ~ Gerhard Schwedes, HB, Syracuse

Buffalo Bills ~ Richie Lucas, QB, Penn State

Dallas Texans ~ Don Meredith, QB, SMU

Denver Broncos ~ Roger LeClerc, C, Trinity

Houston Oilers ~ Billy Cannon, HB, LSU

Los Angeles Chargers ~ Monty Stickles, E, Notre Dame

New York Titans ~ George Izo, QB, Notre Dame

Minneapolis AFL team 1 ~ Dale Hackbart, QB, Wisconsin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be opposed to Newton. But, the logic behind the 3-4 is mind boggling. So, if I'm reading this correctly, if they draft for the scheme they want to use, they are going nowhere? So...ummm...how does a franchise build for different schemes other than through the draft?

Also, the comment about picking 2 1st RD QBs is a little stretch. The bills traded a 1st RD pick for Rob Johnson, traded next years 1st Rounder for Drew Bledsoe,

Sure, the Bills can draft a defensive player, but I think their talent is better suited for a 4-3 than a 3-4.

I actually agree with him on this which is why I say to draft Fairley and line him up next to Kyle in the middle. Put Kelsay on one side and someone else on the other side.

But if we do take Cam, I won't hate it.

John Clayton, the guy blabbers on and on about how great organizations like the Patriots are & calls out our owner for shooting down the '06 CBA. Now the guy is recommending we draft Newton because we don't know how to build a 3-4 Defense. This guy is the master of the obvious and at the end of the day he really doesn't offer solutions just excuses & long-winded diatribes.

I don't want to go off on a tangent, but that has never stopped me before...guys like Clayton, and Mortensen, started out at ESPN as "NFL insiders", and they were great at that, in an era where there wasn't a lot of that. They spoke to their sources with different franchises, around the league, and started all the rumors that we ate up...more often than not, their information was good.

With the internet, and ESPN making the editorial discovery that their viewers/listeners crave NFL talk 24/7, Clayton and Mort now have more air time than ever, so they have to give opinions, rather than just information. It is filler...they are "masters of the obvious" as you say, because that is what their jobs have morphed in to. They can now fill 8 minute segments with great observations like "The Patriots win, the Lions lose, traditionally, so, you can say, the Patriots are the better franchise...but for my money the best "team" is the Colts, as they win a lot too..." :wallbash: Everything is dumbed down now, because people eat it up...I scratch my head every Saturday morning, when I am driving to work, listening to Mel Kiper analyze NASCAR, or MLB spring training games...ESPN has become like McDonalds...the person at the drive-thru is not only giving your your order and change, but they are taking the fries out of the frier, while taking the order for the next person in line...

I applaud Clayton for doing his job, and covering the teams that matter. You can't accurately cover 32 teams, so take a pass on some that the only people who really care about know more than you anyway. If he wants to tell us about some players he covers that sounds good, although he isn't much of a college guy, so not the right guy to listen to for the draft anyway.

Also, the comment about picking 2 1st RD QBs is a little stretch. The bills traded a 1st RD pick for Rob Johnson, traded next years 1st Rounder for Drew Bledsoe,

How is it a atrethch? In the Super Bowl era the Bills gave drafted 2 QBs in the 1st.

The Bills didn't draft an aging Bledsoe or draft a no talent, 3-game wonder, Rob Johnson.

On top of that the Bills have used 0 thats zero first picks in the draft on QBs in the Super Bowl era.

These are facts learn to deal with it, it's almost like the Bills aren't even trying to win. At some point this organization has to roll the dice on the moat important position in football. Instead of perceiving that taking a QB is "too risky" for 50 years or at the minimum since Jim Kelly retired.

Bringing up the "1960 regional pick" is a bit if stretch.

QB Richie Lucas of Penn State was the Bills first pick in their first draft in 1960.

DAT'S RIGHT! I was waiting to see if anybody would go ALL the way back.

:worthy:

An oddity: Kelly & Losman both, while 1st rd. picks, WEREN'T the Bills first selection in their drafts. Both were selected later in the round with an added Draft choice.

Q: Who were the first first rounders in these draft years?

Clayton is the last person who's opinion I would take seriously. If I am not wrong, he was adamant about giving Losman and Edwards more time to "develop." He's a joke. Move on....next.

Welcome to the Looney Bin Tommy! :-)

I am wondering why Clayton didn't mention Gabbert? If we do take a QB, Newton would be down my list some. Definitely Gabbert over Newton...as has been stated by many on this board.

You can tell that Clayton has really put in a lot of time analyzing the bills. :rolleyes:

If we keep drafting for a 3-4 scheme we're going nowhere. LMFAO. :blink:

Apparently once a franchise has a defensive scheme, that's all she wrote for the rest of eternity! The beauty is that this clown probably gets paid 300K a year for this analysis.

The Bills are so far from the NFL conversation. The media really couldn't care less who the Bills draft. In fact they couldn't care less about the Bills, period. Just the way it is when your franchise is dead in the water in a place the media couldn't care less about. Start winning and things will change. A little.

An oddity: Kelly & Losman both, while 1st rd. picks, WEREN'T the Bills first selection in their drafts. Both were selected later in the round with an added Draft choice.

Tony Hunter.

Lee Evans.

How else should we convert to a 3-4 then? :rolleyes:

Nevermind, you beat me too it....makes no sense whatsoever.

I think his point was that if the Bills want any success defensively in the near future, they should remain with the 4-3, which in my opinion is 100% accurate. They barely have any personnel fitting the 3-4, and are so much closer to having a decent defense with the personnel they have playing in a 4-3. Last season it was more than obvious, not only to John Clayton or myself, but anyone watching, even Bills staff that the 3-4 wasn't working, which was why as the season went on they actually played more schemes resembling the 4-3 than the 3-4. Switching to the 3-4 only delays any success this team might have by a couple more years, and it has been too long since any success has been had here already. Plus, with Dave Wannsted (or however you spell it) here, he has been a 4-3 coach his whole career, so why bring him in and not use his most successful and experienced knowledge area, which is the 4-3.

Edited by billsfreak

That would be Tony Hunter in 1983, and Lee Evans in 2004...gimmie a hard question! :thumbsup: