ESPN John Clayton Q&A

If we draft Newton, would he start on day 1? I doubt it. Having the 3rd pick overall is rare and I think they need to select a position of need who can come in and make a difference from day 1

Why? What do you see the Bills achieving in 2011 that will be helped by an immediate contributor?

Do you think that we are one rookie away from the playoffs?

I'm looking to build this team for the next 6-10 years. Not just the 2011 season. We need a franchise QB. It's better to get one on the roster sooner rather than later. Having the 3rd pick overall is rare, so is the Bills drafting a franchise QB. You have to pull the trigger if/when you have the chance. We can draft Defense with our 6 other picks and still get contributors out of it.

Edited by DrDankenstein

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said the minute the Bills started talking 3-4 that they didn't have the personnel for it and should be careful to avoid the mistake that Gregg Williams made in going to a 4-3 without the personnel (although he got them soon enough) and ended up with Hansen retiring early just like Schobel retired early. We took our licking by the transition and now is the time to get the personnel to fit the 3-4 defense. And Cam Newton isn't the personnel that is going to give us a quality 3-4 defense.

Here's the Q&A with John Clayton:

Q: Given the wide range of talent in this year's draft class, if you were the Bills' GM, who would you want to take with the third overall pick?

Alan in Portland, Ore.

A: If I were the Bills' GM, I'd draft Cam Newton. Chan Gailey can design a good offense for him to develop, even if he's only a 54-percent thrower as a rookie. Gailey likes to work with mobile quarterbacks, and you're not going to find one more talented than the 6-foot-5, 248-pound Newton. Sure, the Bills can draft a defensive player, but I think their talent is better suited for a 4-3 than a 3-4. If they keep drafting for a 3-4 scheme, they are going nowhere. This is a quarterback-driven league and the Bills have had only two first-round quarterbacks selected in their history. It's time to step up and take a Newton.

I'm still not sold on Newton, I kind of agree with him on the 3-4 defense, here's the link for complete Q&A:

My link

shows why Clayton is usually wrong, No Newton.

Why? What do you see the Bills achieving in 2011 that will be helped by an immediate contributor?

I'm looking to build this team for the next 6-10 years. Not just the 2011 season. We need a franchise QB. It's better to get one on the roster sooner rather than later. Having the 3rd pick overall is rare, so is the Bills drafting a franchise QB. You have to pull the trigger if/when you have the chance. We can draft Defense with our 6 other picks and still get contributors out of it.

Well put. I never thought of it like that. I guess at 3 the odds are we will make a good pick

who were the ones before Kelly?

I know Fergie wasnt a 1st, and we didnt draft Kemp. That's where my limited knowledge ends...

The only Bills QB ever picked with the first round/first pick was Richie Lucas in 1960.

Edited by yungmack

I agree with your point, overall...but, it doesn't seem like it needs to take 6-10 years to rebuild in this day and age. With the way the Bills operate, it very well take that long...not a criticism, but the truth, I think.

I like Fitzpatrick, and am fine with going into 2011 (assuming there is a season)with him as the starter. I do, however, agree, given their draft position, it is important that they get a player that can contribute as a corner stone for years to come. You would typically think a QB is the number one priority...but, and I ask this with no strong opinion either way, do you think Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert are those type of QB's? If so, I say, take one of them...but, they both seem to have a significant number of detractors, even amongst the "experts". Not saying that should be the be all to end all...the Bills have to be comfortable with whoever they pick.

Cam Newton is an awesome athelete, no doubt, and I think (and I am far from an expert) he can be a much better NFL QB than Tim Tebow. What makes me nervous about him, however, is he a good match for Buffalo? He seems to have some rather lofty goals for himself, beyond football...I think Chan Gailey would be the kind of coach who can get the best out of him, on the field...but I just don't like the whole "cult of personality" thing that he seems to want for himself. And, as we have seen, Buffalo Bills fans aren't super tolerant of guys who talk bigger than their results. I am getting the feeling that drafting him could be a disaster...we (as a fan base) seem to eat our draft picks alive, and there is nothing tastier than a struggling QB.

I agree with your point, overall...but, it doesn't seem like it needs to take 6-10 years to rebuild in this day and age. With the way the Bills operate, it very well take that long...not a criticism, but the truth, I think.

Just a quick note without getting to the rest of your post...

I meant that, what is done in 2010, 2011, and 2012 should set this team up to compete and win for the next 6-10 years. NOT that it will take that long to re-build completely.

I actually "expect" to start to see some +.500 results in 2012. I have very little hopes for next year, and am mostly concerned with seeing what I wanted to see this year: steps in the right direction at the core of the team (play-calling, attitude, gameday management... COACHING stuff really). I'd like to see some defensive improvement this year, but understand we are still in the middle of a scheme transition as well, so Im not expecting a top 10 D. Just some steps in the right direction.

If we draft Newton, would he start on day 1? I doubt it. Having the 3rd pick overall is rare and I think they need to select a position of need who can come in and make a difference from day 1

Why? Why is day 1 what makes or breaks the pick? I personally don't think that Sept 2011 is the most important football for this team, and while I hope for a 10-6 playoff surprise this year, every decision made by the team should be about what will help the most over 3-5 years (I'm not saying year 1 doesn't matter), and on what will make this team a winner. I would love a day 1 contributor, and the defensive guys we are looking at will likely do that, but if Newton is going to be a Pro Bowl type QB, I don't have any problem with him pulling a Carson Palmer and sitting his entire first season while he learns. I personally don't think Newton is that guy, but if the coaches feel otherwise, I am happy with the selection and the wait.

[/John Clayton internal dialouge]

Hmmmm.....what answer can I give that will get the most attention. Defensive linemen are soooo boring unless they get 15 sacks a year.

Why? Why is day 1 what makes or breaks the pick?

Have you been paying attention to the NFL in recent years? This is now a league where a first round guy should be able to step on the field and contribute immediately. There are plenty of picks in rounds 4-7 for the "let's see if he can develop" guys.

Clayton mentions that the talent we have is better suited for the 4-3, so we should be drafting for the 4-3 and stick to it....This year the Bills started with the 3-4 and by the end of the season they we're using the 4-3 more often than not, this offseason they hired Dave Wannstedt as assistant coach and linebacker coach, he is known as a 4-3 coach, not to forget the extension given to Kelsay during the season who is nothing else but a 4-3 defensive end, so are we back to the 4-3 and drafting guys that fit the 4-3 or we stick going to the 3-4 gradually ???...Clayton obviously makes it clear what direction we should be going...I'm not approving Clayton 100% here, just stating why he made the statement that we are going nowhere by drafting 3-4 guys...

why is this so hard for all of you to understand...i wish you would of let me get to reply to these people first but yu put it right on the money...i am not a huge fan of clayton at all. but here is the thing....our 3-4 defense is the worst i have ever seen...almost 200 yards rushing per game....and he is saying that if we continue this way we are not going to be going nowhere....we need to run the 4-3 with the personal that we have a draft for that 4-3 scheme. we will not get enough players in the draft to make the 3-4 better...we are undersized and just plain and simple dont have it for a 3-4...and if we keep trying to fill the 3-4 roster it will take us years...for christ sake we havent made the playoffs in over a decade....well lets just take a few more years to shore up that 3-4 scheme that ran record breaking yards against us...why not lets make it 2 decades....yea john clayton is real stupid to think that....

I just don't believe in Cam Newton.

Newton is:

1. a one year producer that didn't win with NFL skills (more running than passing, no exp under center, ...)

2. a tremendous athlete - nobody doubts that.

3. a guy who has a lot of character red-flags (stolen computers, academic fraud, at least

periphery involvement in trying to get money during his recruitment

I think Newton is too fake and is a disaster waiting to happen, even if he had no character flaws.

I second that, a QB is suppose to be a team leader not a team misfit.

I second that, a QB is suppose to be a team leader not a team misfit.

Yeah he was a real misfit, when misfat his team back in 4th quarter come backs, and misfat his team to a undefeated season, and misfat them to a national championship when injured.

On the heels of misfitting his Ju-Co team to a undeafeated, nation Ju-co championship.

What a misfit this guy is.

Edited by Why So Serious?