NFLPA tells players to boycott draft

Linky

The "union formerly known as the NFLPA" has requested that top college prospects not attend the draft, essentially depriving fans the opportunity to see their top draft choices standing next to the commissioner holding up their team's jersey. Does anyone really care all that much about this?

I was hoping to watch Cam Newton shamefully squirming around in his chair (ala Brady Quinn) as he slides into the latter part of the 1st round :devil:

Thoughts?

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good. Maybe now the draft can be completed all in one day. As an added bonus, Jest fans will be deprived of making idiots of themselves on national TV. Don't need the players there anyway.

But somebody should let the (former) union know that this is a stupid way of currying favor with the fans.

GO BILLS!!!

What would be better, is if you could convince all of the fans to not attend. Radio City Music Hall empty on a Friday Night Primetime TV Slot... Bet that'd be the last time they televised the Draft in prime time. :)

Also, I see the Madden 12 cover was revealed as well: http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/BLeonard1996/Madden12.jpg

-Bill

Edited by BLeonard

But wait...i thought the NFLPA was no longer a union? This simply shows that their "decertification" was a complete sham, organized by their idiotic leader, De Smith.

Edited by Ramius

Good. Maybe now the draft can be completed all in one day. As an added bonus, Jest fans will be deprived of making idiots of themselves on national TV. Don't need the players there anyway.

But somebody should let the (former) union know that this is a stupid way of currying favor with the fans.

GO BILLS!!!

Also the drafted players aren't memebers of the "union" till they sign their 1st contract.

Only 10-15 players ,per year, get to walk out on that stage. Why would the union want to take this away from the draftees and the famalies after all their hard work.

The 'union' is looking dumber and dumber by the day.

Edited by qwksilver

But wait...i thought the NFLPA was no longer a union? This simply shows that their "decertification" was a complete sham, organized by their idiotic leader, De Smith.

Decertification was a strategy in negotiations and the process, neither a desire to not have a union nor a sham.

I really thought when they filed the extension that they'd get this done and we'd all be able to move on. One week later it's devolved into a complete joke. Everyone involved should be embarrassed by this, especially the players for leaving the table. :censored:

Also the drafted players aren't memebers of the "union" till they sign their 1st contract.

Only 10-15 players ,per year, get to walk out on that stage. Why would the union want to take this away from the draftees and the famalies after all their hard work.

I heard recently that Von Miller is one of the players (the only potential draftee) who is planning on suing the owners. If I recall correctly, his beef was specifically related to the proposed amendments to the rookie salary scale.

For some reason....this makes me want him even less. He must have grapefruit sized testicles that 'clank' together when he walks. The guy's not even in the league yet, and he is planning on suing his potential employer?!?!

I heard recently that Von Miller is one of the players (the only potential draftee) who is planning on suing the owners. If I recall correctly, his beef was specifically related to the proposed amendments to the rookie salary scale.

For some reason....this makes me want him even less. He must have grapefruit sized testicles that 'clank' together when he walks. The guy's not even in the league yet, and he is planning on suing his potential employer?!?!

The owners are wanting to cut a deal that will deprive him of millions..and for years to come... and you don't like that he has the brains to assert his rights. Nobody has ever held a gun to an owners head and said you must pay the player a ton of money. The owners all consuming greed has caused out of control wages in all pro leagues. In return, we pay ridiculous prices for tickets, parking, beer, and paraphernalia.

I "get" why the union would want the rookies to boycott the draft...

BUT if I were one of these kids who just spent the last 10 years dreaming of and working towards this moment, I wouldnt skip the draft. Especially considering all of the players currently in the union had THEIR chance to enjoy the draft. Its not these kids' fault that this happens to be the year the players and owners decided to act like brats.

The owners are wanting to cut a deal that will deprive him of millions..and for years to come... and you don't like that he has the brains to assert his rights. Nobody has ever held a gun to an owners head and said you must pay the player a ton of money. The owners all consuming greed has caused out of control wages in all pro leagues. In return, we pay ridiculous prices for tickets, parking, beer, and paraphernalia.

Undoubtedly there is "all consuming" greed on both sides...not just on the part of the owners. I don't have a problem with Von asserting his rights, but I do question whether his decision to partake in this lawsuit was a good move on his part. I also question whether this was his decision, or if perhaps he was chosen by the "decertified" NFLPA to be the poster child for the 2011 draft class. His decision to join in with the lawsuit, in the long run, may negatively impact his draft status.

Think about this real world analogy for just a moment. You and a pool of applicants have just finished interviewing for a position with Vandalay Industries (they're in the latex business). After interviewing, you learn that the employee pay scale may be reduced, so you decide to take legal action against that company. Do you think this lawsuit (whether you win or not) might affect you chances of being selected for the position?

The whole idea is ridiculous to me...and by the way...Von Miller will be just fine making 6-7 million per year as opposed to 10-15 million per year. In any case, I don't think we will see him in line for food stamps.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

The potential draftees have an even stronger case and reason to be pissed at the team owners than the NFLPA, The rookie salary cap CBA renegotiation demand of the team owners will cost these men specifically.

The draftee leverage is pretty small here as suing your future paymaster is not a good recipe for getting paid big bucks, but the 10-15 have the maximum leverage as teams have already demonstrated that if a top 5 choice were to drop he goes not much further down than the top 10 (creating a strong incentive for the top 5 to just pick him).

The draftees have a stronger case against the NFL than the NFLPA actually because the individual is the one who gets his rights totally trampled on if the NFL drafts him and essentially denies this individual the right to sell his services to highest bidder because the NFL has colluded amongst team owners to assign him to one team.

Its as though Apple, IBM and Microsoft rather than bidding against each other for college educated programers, instead colluded with each other to publicly assign these graduates to only one company.

This is what anti-trust is all about.

In fact, I am quite happy if I am in the top 10-15 to see the NFLPA decertify as the draft itself does not have the fig leaf of MFLPA agreement to hide behind and a non-draft system which on the face of it is the only constitutional way to operate allows the top 10-15 to negotiate their own personal contracts.

The last thing the team owners want is an actual free market and this is why decertification is a powerful tool which has really won the NFL partnership rather than mere employment from the team owners.

What is up with that guy? He dresses like a damn pimp. Guess he's just keepin' it real. ;)

Think about this real world analogy for just a moment. You and a pool of applicants have just finished interviewing for a position with Vandalay Industries (they're in the latex business). After interviewing, you learn that the employee pay scale may be reduced, so you decide to take legal action against that company. Do you think this lawsuit (whether you win or not) might affect you chances of being selected for the position?

This actually demonstrates why you do see the current reality as ridiculous and do not seem to understand the way this situation is laying out.

The team owner/NFLPA dispute is simply NOT the same situation as you and Vandelay Industries. Thus it is no wonder why your expectations in this case simply do not apply.

Consider this description which must more closely fits reality.

Your pool is not a pool of applicants but actually are currently providing services and getting checks from Vandelay (do you see right away that your example is wholely different than reality with merely this distiction?)

Now add to this the reality that you not only already have a contractual agreement with Vandelay, but the contractual agreement actually delivers you a significant majority of the total revenue garnered by Vandelay. You are not simply an employee, but actually a partner (in fact arguably the majority partner in this enterprise.

The simple fact is that the actual cash deliverer for the latex you sell)in reality the fans and the TV networks really could give a rats behind for Vandelay industries, what they really want is your ability to make latex like no one else.

Mr. Vandelay is a legend in his own time. He was willing to risk capital to make latex when no one else would. However, the capital risk he took when no one believed in latex has already been paid back many times over. The simple fact is that just as no one would pay any money to watch Mr. Ralph and Al Davis put on shoulder pads and butt heads (though this would be amusingly entertaining once) and they have little desire when they think about it to pay a marked up rate for latex from Vandelay if they can get it from you.

Still a deal is a deal and you contractually agreed (lets call your agreement the CBA) that you are going to let Nr. Vandelay for historical reasons to manage delivery of your product, scrape a chunk of money of the top to do this and only then split the total revenue 60-40 your way (not unreasonable at all since the fans come to see you and Mr. Vandelay, Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder or whomever).

Even more oddly, even though under the 60/40 arrangement with Mr. Vandelay making far more money than he ever had, he still triggers a re-opener of the contract and demands a new contract that pays you less money than he agreed to pay you.

Even stranger, as the party hired to implement the income and outflow of the CBA, he does claim he is losing money but then refuses to let you see the full books governing this income/outflow.

Your position in this dispute which Mr. Vandelay has triggered is merely to want to maintain the deal you and Mr. Vandelay made.

If you have any dispute with how I have laid out the situation, please tell me as all of this open to interpretation, However, I think it is quite clear that my application of the Vandely example is a lot closer to reality than the situation you lay out.

it is no wonder you find this situation ridiculous if you accept the example you give as describing the current dispute.

This actually demonstrates why you do see the current reality as ridiculous and do not seem to understand the way this situation is laying out.

The team owner/NFLPA dispute is simply NOT the same situation as you and Vandelay Industries. Thus it is no wonder why your expectations in this case simply do not apply.

Consider this description which must more closely fits reality.

Your pool is not a pool of applicants but actually are currently providing services and getting checks from Vandelay (do you see right away that your example is wholely different than reality with merely this distiction?)

Now add to this the reality that you not only already have a contractual agreement with Vandelay, but the contractual agreement actually delivers you a significant majority of the total revenue garnered by Vandelay. You are not simply an employee, but actually a partner (in fact arguably the majority partner in this enterprise.

The simple fact is that the actual cash deliverer for the latex you sell)in reality the fans and the TV networks really could give a rats behind for Vandelay industries, what they really want is your ability to make latex like no one else.

Mr. Vandelay is a legend in his own time. He was willing to risk capital to make latex when no one else would. However, the capital risk he took when no one believed in latex has already been paid back many times over. The simple fact is that just as no one would pay any money to watch Mr. Ralph and Al Davis put on shoulder pads and butt heads (though this would be amusingly entertaining once) and they have little desire when they think about it to pay a marked up rate for latex from Vandelay if they can get it from you.

Still a deal is a deal and you contractually agreed (lets call your agreement the CBA) that you are going to let Nr. Vandelay for historical reasons to manage delivery of your product, scrape a chunk of money of the top to do this and only then split the total revenue 60-40 your way (not unreasonable at all since the fans come to see you and Mr. Vandelay, Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder or whomever).

Even more oddly, even though under the 60/40 arrangement with Mr. Vandelay making far more money than he ever had, he still triggers a re-opener of the contract and demands a new contract that pays you less money than he agreed to pay you.

Even stranger, as the party hired to implement the income and outflow of the CBA, he does claim he is losing money but then refuses to let you see the full books governing this income/outflow.

Your position in this dispute which Mr. Vandelay has triggered is merely to want to maintain the deal you and Mr. Vandelay made.

If you have any dispute with how I have laid out the situation, please tell me as all of this open to interpretation, However, I think it is quite clear that my application of the Vandely example is a lot closer to reality than the situation you lay out.

it is no wonder you find this situation ridiculous if you accept the example you give as describing the current dispute.

The example you provided is very well written, and a great analogy for team owners/NFLPA dispute. I believe, however, that you may have taken my point out of context. While I never claimed to be an expert, I do believe that I have a rudimentary understanding of the current situation.

I was referring specifically to Von Miller's involvement in the law suit against the owners. Von Miller is not currently, nor has he ever provided services to any NFL owner. He is not under contract, and has yet to receive any paychecks. Right now he is interviewing with several teams in an attempt to convince them that he is worth hiring. Ideally, he would like to be "hired" by the team that is going to pay him the most money. In my opinion, he may have damaged his reputation, and subsequently his draft position, by filing suit against his potential employers.

The example you provided is very well written, and a great analogy for team owners/NFLPA dispute. I believe, however, that you may have taken my point out of context. While I never claimed to be an expert, I do believe that I have a rudimentary understanding of the current situation.

I was referring specifically to Von Miller's involvement in the law suit against the owners. Von Miller is not currently, nor has he ever provided services to any NFL owner. He is not under contract, and has yet to receive any paychecks. Right now he is interviewing with several teams in an attempt to convince them that he is worth hiring. Ideally, he would like to be "hired" by the team that is going to pay him the most money. In my opinion, he may have damaged his reputation, and subsequently his draft position, by filing suit against his potential employers.

Possibly bu probably not"

1. His agent will need to spin this for teams as an example of Miller being a manly in your face person who will bring that grit to the field for a team that signs him. While most teams will not buy this, all he needs is for one team to pick him and adopt his spin for their public. My guess is he pisses many off with the suit but he can still sell this if need be.

2. He pretty much can count on NFL teams looking out for their individual self interest rather than trying to make an example of him for the benefit of the league. Right now Kiper has him in the top 10 and if he is still on the board in 10-15 he almost certainly will go to some team which adopts the John Butler line of expressing surprise he was there when they drafted.

3. Miller may be one of the ones among the top 10-15 who reads the players chances as pretty good in this fight. He might be wrong. However, someone who judges the players as having a not unreasonable shot at winning this fight (a judge's decision along the Doty lines in the NFL anti-trust case is a high risk proposition for the owners that could easily happen even those who do not think it will must admit. If the players are actually working to pull off a maneuver like he one they pulled off last time they decertified it may end up that replacement (actually supplementary since the players would do better with competition between owners rather than killing the NFL team owners) owners will be more likely than replacement players.

If the owners win in their battle with the players, there still is a reasonable chance Miller cones out smelling like a rose as all he needs is one team to not hold the suit against him.

However, if the players win this fight Miller really profits from this suit.

It is only the chance that Miller alienates virtually all the teams such that his draft position plummets that he loses big time.

This is possible but strikes me as the least likely of these three possibilities.

the players/drafteees WILL boycott the draft...otherwise be branded scabs and/or looked upon unfavorably by veterans when play resumes.

If I am a rookie and entering the draft. I will let the NFLPA know that when it comes to this they're number 1, walk out on the stage and enter the NFL.

On the other hand, at least the NFL doesn't have to worry about Cam Newton - since no team yet knows who will get them none of them want to go out there to get him to come to their stage and give $500,000 to his dad!