Dolphins Franchise Paul Soliai

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/24/dolphins-franchise-paul-soliai/

Soliai’s agent, David Canter, told the Sun-Sentinel that Soliai wants to stay in Miami and would have been willing to get a deal done sooner if it weren’t for the 30 percent rule.

“We want to be here. We’ve said it day in and day out. We want to be here,” Canter said. “As long as everything works out and there’s a new CBA, we can negotiate in good faith without the limitations of the 30 percent rule. We’re going to give the Miami Dolphins as fair a shot as they would have ever hoped to get.”

I don't think he's worth top five money. So let the Fish lose all that cap room. He had one decent year out of four. He wasn't dominant and the Fish gave up a lot of yards rushing with him in the middle. So I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Well I'm not losing sleep over it since I didn't think it all that likely we could pry him away.

But as to paying him top 5 money... It's a risk no doubt, but he has improved over time and was very good last year. Was it a payday year, or has he just gotten better? Shrug. Don't know the guy.

But let me make it clear I'd LOVE to have him on our team.

Well I'm not losing sleep over it since I didn't think it all that likely we could pry him away.

But as to paying him top 5 money... It's a risk no doubt, but he has improved over time and was very good last year. Was it a payday year, or has he just gotten better? Shrug. Don't know the guy.

But let me make it clear I'd LOVE to have him on our team.

top 5 for 1 year is not a huge risk, top 5 for 5 years with a top 5 signing bonus is risky as hell with a guy like that.

Why in the heck would anybody want Troupe backing up.....you drafted in the 2nd round for crying out loud.....

Troupe is a little undersized. This will give him time to develop further. It's taken Soliai 4 years to gel. We can also put Williams back to his proper role of end in a 3-4. Also, gives us many options to play the 3-4/4-3 hyrbid that Gailey wants. Williams - Soliai - Troupe - Edwards/Carrington/Kelsay would be very effective. Lastly frees up our defensive drafting to focus on the most important thing in 3-4: linebackers, something we're in great need of.

That sucks. I wanted him then I our DLine would be set and we wouldnt have to do anything in the draft:

NT: Solai backed up by Troupe

RDE: Edwards backed by Carrington

LDE: Williams backed by Kelsay

Very capable 3-4 line.

Your lineup is missing a great pass rusher.

Solai is the type of signing that would get more that he is actually worth. A very good player that will get great player money.

Lets draft a few great players and grow our own.

No need to fret. The fishies can eat his salary and there's a chance Soliai will sit and be lazy on his payday year. We can find another Samoan elsewhere. With Troup's desire to succeed he will improve and it's not like we won't find another NT in FA or in the draft. Make the most of what is at hand.

Troupe is a little undersized. This will give him time to develop further. It's taken Soliai 4 years to gel. We can also put Williams back to his proper role of end in a 3-4. Also, gives us many options to play the 3-4/4-3 hyrbid that Gailey wants. Williams - Soliai - Troupe - Edwards/Carrington/Kelsay would be very effective. Lastly frees up our defensive drafting to focus on the most important thing in 3-4: linebackers, something we're in great need of.

Joe.....Torrel Troupe is definately not undersized. Keep in mind that he LOST weight to get where he is at which is probably around 330 right now.

I just dont think that is a smart use of draft pick.......if we want a DT there will be some good ones available with our 2nd pick......

3rd pick - Cam Newton ir Quinn

2nd round pick - Phil Taylor

We cant be giving away picks because we havent drafted well in the past....what we need to do is draft well ourselves.....keep our own players.....and bring in a couple of key free agents that we dont have to give picks for

JMO

Joe.....Torrel Troupe is definately not undersized. Keep in mind that he LOST weight to get where he is at which is probably around 330 right now.

I just dont think that is a smart use of draft pick.......if we want a DT there will be some good ones available with our 2nd pick......

We cant be giving away picks because we havent drafted well in the past....what we need to do is draft well ourselves.....keep our own players.....and bring in a couple of key free agents that we dont have to give picks for

JMO

I've been saying it alot but yes - you must rule out cam, and then Quinn before talking about any other possibility. Physically they are too rare to Pass if heads check out.

Keep poz, whitner and Florence if possible.

Can you imagine

Williams (carrington)-- troup (Williams, Taylor)-- Edwards

Quinn-- poz-- Davis-- merriman (moats)

I think that's a huge front 7 makeover. Pass rush and beef.

Why in the heck would anybody want Troupe backing up.....you drafted in the 2nd round for crying out loud.....

It's always better to have two studs in a rotation then one stud and just another guy.

JMO

I am with this guy:

First round I say One of the DL studs near the top of the draft even Miller (LB)

Second round I say Phil Taylor

by doing this you can move Williams to DE and then you are only oneor possibly two short instead of three.

JMO

Troupe is listed at 315, and if anything looks smaller. He's known more for quickness than for size and brute strength. He'll never be mistaken for Will Wilfork.

I don't want to draft at DT or DE at #3 either. That's one reason I wanted to see them make a splash on the DLine in free agency .... to guard against that possibility. And I certainly don't want someone who's a natural DT in a 4-3 scheme like Fairley.

My draft philosophy dominated by "best player available" ... I'd say something like 9/10ths BPA, 1/10th need. Unfortunately, Bills have been doing the opposite and have made horrible reaches like Whitner, McCargo and Maybin as a result.

At #3 overall I've wanted Green along, and if he wasn't there then Peterson. If a strong legitimate case can be made for Newton, then I'm good with that too.

Troupe is listed at 315, and if anything looks smaller. He's known more for quickness than for size and brute strength. He'll never be mistaken for Will Wilfork.

I don't want to draft at DT or DE at #3 either. That's one reason I wanted to see them make a splash on the DLine in free agency .... to guard against that possibility. And I certainly don't want someone who's a natural DT in a 4-3 scheme like Fairley.

My draft philosophy dominated by "best player available" ... I'd say something like 9/10ths BPA, 1/10th need. Unfortunately, Bills have been doing the opposite and have made horrible reaches like Whitner, McCargo and Maybin as a result.

At #3 overall I've wanted Green along, and if he wasn't there then Peterson. If a strong legitimate case can be made for Newton, then I'm good with that too.

Vince Wilfork is listed at 325lbs.