I yelled at & hung up on Verizon today

Albany,n.y.

Verizon just got approval for FIOS TV in my area. So today I got a call from Verizon about their FIOS TV. The call starts with the guy speaking broken English, stumbling over my name & making a horrible 1st impression. Then he tells me it's not a sales call but an informational call, so I ask him for some information on the availability of On Demand. First he starts rambling without answering the question, so I told him if he can't answer the question he's not qualified to be doing his job, so he asks how he can help me and this time I fire out a couple of specific On Demand questions: 1)Is On Demand available for the major TV networks? 2)If it is how soon after the program airs is it available? He answers by reading from a script the number of channels that FIOS has. By this time he was really getting on my nerves & I just yelled at him-you're not answering my questions, don't you understand English? Goodbye. I then hung up the phone.

What is wrong with companies like Verizon who hire people to call you up who can't speak English & are so poorly versed in our language that basic questions stump them?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Verizon just got approval for FIOS TV in my area. So today I got a call from Verizon about their FIOS TV. The call starts with the guy speaking broken English, stumbling over my name & making a horrible 1st impression. Then he tells me it's not a sales call but an informational call, so I ask him for some information on the availability of On Demand. First he starts rambling without answering the question, so I told him if he can't answer the question he's not qualified to be doing his job, so he asks how he can help me and this time I fire out a couple of specific On Demand questions: 1)Is On Demand available for the major TV networks? 2)If it is how soon after the program airs is it available? He answers by reading from a script the number of channels that FIOS has. By this time he was really getting on my nerves & I just yelled at him-you're not answering my questions, don't you understand English? Goodbye. I then hung up the phone.

What is wrong with companies like Verizon who hire people to call you up who can't speak English & are so poorly versed in our language that basic questions stump them?

LOL, first time getting one of those calls? They're never "sales calls." If someone cold calls you and starts off with "this is a sales call" they will be unemployed soon. Not saying that guy won't be. (but he probably won't lol).

Anyway...the question "Is on Demand available for major TV networks" is actually a super loaded question and no matter who the service provider is the answer is always "sort of, kind of, sometimes, what shows?" The licensing for the On Demand material is far from static.

Know just how you feel, though I try to be just a little more diplomatic about it. That being said, if everyone expressed themselves with your lack of diplomacy it might actually help bring some of these jobs back to the US. Better to pay someone $8 an hour and portray a positive company image then $3 an hour to upset a prospective customer.

Linky

Hallo, my name Peggy. Such a deal I have for you today . . . :lol:

Edited by Mr_Blizzard

Anyone Verizon is paying to make this call isn't going to be able to answer your questions. Verizon, and most companies who do this type of calling, give their callers very limited information. I hope yelling at the guy made you feel better, 'cause it's not going to result in any better service in the future.

youtube.com/watch?v=sV3pYZZ2jEw

When I am really smart you are going to regret it.

Just laughed coffee through my nose.

I hope yelling at the guy made you feel better, 'cause it's not going to result in any better service in the future.

Agreed. When you yell at someone like this, all you accomplish is ruining that poor guy's day. It's almost never that guy's fault. Blame the company and its idiotic policies, but don't take it out on the guy trying to do a painful job. He's thrown out there with insufficient training. He doesn't deserve to be the punching bag for all your life's dissatisfactions.

Way to forget there's a human being on the other end.

Did the guy start off by saying, "Hi, this is Brian Brohm."?

These calls are why I rarely answer my phone anymore...leave a message, I will get back to you, if I want to. I understand these people have crummy jobs, and are just trying to make a living...what I loath, is that they are starting to call at all kinds of odd hours now. It used to be, you would never get these calls in the evening, now I get them as late as 9:30 at night.

I remember my sister calling me, over the summer, to tell me that my brother in-law had passed away unexpectedly. It was about 8am on Saturday morning. She was too distraught to call everyone in the family, and asked me to call and tell my brother...I tell her, of course...I put the phone down, and not 20 seconds later, the phone rings again...thinking it is someone in the family (who else would call at 8am on Saturday morning) I pick it up, and it is just some woman rambling on about something...a little dazed, but trying to be polite, I finally snap to, when she tells me that our call "may be recorded"...I just hung up...

Why did you even say "Goodbye"?

Way to forget there's a human being on the other end.

I was trying to be polite, that's why I said goodbye, but the guy was such a freakin' moron, not answering a single question with an answer that made any sense, he just got too annoying to talk to any more.

If they are hired to talk about a product & they can't speak English, they shouldn't be calling me or anyone else in this country. He's the one who interrupted me, calling me out of the blue, not the other way around. The main reason I was so harsh was I was hoping the call was taped for review & the people who hired him would get the message to hire more qualified callers. I would have been very happy to hear my questions answered-they were pretty simple. For example, with cable the answers would have been simple to answer: "We have NBC, CBS, and ABC available On Demand in addition to many popular cable stations, but not all programs are available. They are usually available within 24 hours of their air date." It doesn't take a genius to know that answer.

These calls are why I rarely answer my phone anymore...leave a message, I will get back to you, if I want to. I understand these people have crummy jobs, and are just trying to make a living...what I loath, is that they are starting to call at all kinds of odd hours now. It used to be, you would never get these calls in the evening, now I get them as late as 9:30 at night.

I remember my sister calling me, over the summer, to tell me that my brother in-law had passed away unexpectedly. It was about 8am on Saturday morning. She was too distraught to call everyone in the family, and asked me to call and tell my brother...I tell her, of course...I put the phone down, and not 20 seconds later, the phone rings again...thinking it is someone in the family (who else would call at 8am on Saturday morning) I pick it up, and it is just some woman rambling on about something...a little dazed, but trying to be polite, I finally snap to, when she tells me that our call "may be recorded"...I just hung up...

You ought to live in Alaska. The concept of time zones is beyond these people, and I routinely get 5AM calls pitching insurance.

I was trying to be polite, that's why I said goodbye,

Bullshiit!!

Bullshiit!!

Also........

You said this before the goodbye:

By this time he was really getting on my nerves & I just yelled at him-you're not answering my questions, don't you understand English? Goodbye. I then hung up the phone.

Edited by erynthered