Which Bills 1st round draft pick had you jumping for JOY?

major

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am banking that there is some major revisionist history here with some of you guys:

Here are my opinions of the first round or first picks of the last 10 years based on my perceived value of the players vs. the needs of the team

Loved- Fat Mike, Wood,

Liked-Clements, Losman, Thugshawn,

Meh- McCargo, McLovin,

Hated- Roscoe, McBadknee, Whitner, Maybin, Spiller

With Revisionst history, this is what I think of the picks now based on performance as a pro, with consideration to their draft position:

Loved- Wood, Clements (always good for a pick or two against Miami)

Liked-

Meh- Roscoe, McLovin, Whitner, Thugshawn, Fat Mike, Losman

Hated- Spiller, Maybin

Frankly, the Bills have done a poor job developing talent as much as they have done a poor job drafting. Losman did have a lot of talent, regressed under Jauron, Edwards had a decent amount of talent and regressed under Jauron. Fat Mike needed a better support system what was provided by Williams staff. Thugshawn needed a coach that was going to kick his ass if he !@#$ed up off the field. McCargo showed flashes of potential while never got out of the doghouse. Whitner had the misfortune of being drafted so high for a system that didn't really fit his strengths. Roscoe showed what he could do as a slot, when not in the dog house. The only picks that I really scratch my head about are McBadknee which required a year of rehab and we already had a proficient back in henry, Maybin cuz he was is weak and sucks more than Richard Simmons at a Backstreet Boys Concert, and Spiller as we had two proficient backs in Thugshawn and Fred.

For a long time I just scratched my head over strange picks (showing my age -- Reuben Gant? even Erik Flowers?). The first pick that made me scream out loud NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO was Whitner. And Maybin made me say WTF.

Biggest jumps for joy were OJ and Bruce, but I was really happy about JD Hill too. He was a really nice player, very explosive in college at ASU.

Edited by Ennjay

We share alot of the same reasoning. I was pissed however we Took Whitner over Ngata. I thought we would def draft Ngata. That kinda erked me.

At first I wasn't upset with the Maybin pick. He was projected in the top 20. I'd love to go back to the 09 fantasy draft guides and see for sure where he was projected. I think he was pretty highly rated. But then once we drafted and I heard Jauron talking about him, how he was a situational pass rusher, I thought, oh Great, Erik Flowers 2.0. That was the most bone headed pick ever. When you draft 10th overall, the damn guy better be on the field making a difference!!!!

Same with This year's Draft. #3 guy better be an immediate difference maker. Buddy You're on the clock, you better get it right!!!

Don't say this too loud or the "Draft a QB to sit behind Fitz for a year or 2" crowd will stone you to death.

The last First round pick that I didn't vomit to was Lee Evans, but I would say I jumped for joy either.

Spllier was the latest head in hands crying no pick.

Edited by MikeSpeed

the McKelvin pick wasn't bad in a sense of where/when he was drafted. A lot of people were projecting him as a top 10 pick. If we needed a CB, i think McKelvin would have been a good pick.

The bigger problem is that we should have simply re-signed Greer (who did not sign a very expensive contract) and not even had to draft McKelvin, and as you alluded to, we could have used that pick elsewhere.

Great point on Jabari Greer, we should have kept him in Buffalo.

Mike Williams was the only one in the past 10-12 years that I wasnt (at least) mildly depressed about.

He seemed to be SOLID. I dont need exciting, but I do like solid.

Every other year there were a couple, or several, players that I would rather have had at the time. And this is why I want no part of Cam Newton. Give me 2-3 years of SOLID drafts, and then take a flyer if you want. But stop thinking you are smarter than the other 31 teams by drafting the Maybins and Whitners of the world.

not kelly...i remember thinking tony eason was better...haha

not oj, i was too young to have an opinion

bruce smith...i liked that one. bennett i liked.

i guess i have to admit i thought williams would be good...i've actually been photographed in a 68 jersey so i can't pretend i didn't like the pick.

i can honestly say i have hated every #1 pick since then. in fact i have hated our whole front office every year since then.

Think back to your favorite draft day. What 1st round BILLS pick got you the most excited? My first thought went to Thurman Thomas, but I remembered that he was a 2nd round pick, not a first rounder. Taking Thurman out of the equation, the 1st round draft pick that had me jumping for JOY was when we drafted Willis McGahee. I thought he was the next coming of Barry Sanders. My bad!

The first round pick that made me want to VOMIT is a three way tie between Donte Whitner, Aaron Maybin, & Erick Flowers. When we took them my first reaction was "WHAT?????"

I look forward to hearing your draft day stories.

On a side note, the first round pick that I really wanted to succeed was either Antowian Smith or JP Losman.

2000s... loved the Nate Clements pick as they got one of their guys and successfully pulled off a trade-back, selecting Travis Henry in the 2nd round with the extra pick... hated the Willis Magahee pick. I thought it was nuts given what they had at the time w/ Henry

1990s... loved the Eric Moulds pick, after Marvin Harrison was taken I thought he was the next best selection and happy the Bills got him... hated the Jeff Burris pick, not for any other reason than I was sick of them selecting CBs in the 1st round over the previous several drafts

1980s... loved Will Wolford selection to redeem my hated pick earlier in the round of Ronnie Harmon. My girlfriend's father at the time was a big college fan and I was watching the Rose Bowl? w/ him on New Years and this guy from Iowa fumbles like 6 times, made me notice, then the Bills pick him in the next draft... WHAT??

Edited by cage

You know what sucked even more about the Bills taking Maybin was the fact (if you were watching it on ESPN) we all knew the Bills were taking Aaron Maybin even before the words were voiced from the commish's mouth.

The best part of the draft for me is the "with the 3rd pick of the 2011 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select..." and then the anticipation/surprise of 3+ months of mocks draft, trade-up, trade-down, BPA scenarios. Instead the cameras cut to Maybin a good 15secs and show him crying for joy already.

I was indifferent, but still was like F@!K Me!!

I was clapping and cheering very loudly when Bruce announced Marshawn Lynch as our first-round pick. I was very confused and disappointed when Donte Whitner was announced as our first-round pick.

Think back to your favorite draft day. What 1st round BILLS pick got you the most excited? My first thought went to Thurman Thomas, but I remembered that he was a 2nd round pick, not a first rounder. Taking Thurman out of the equation, the 1st round draft pick that had me jumping for JOY was when we drafted Willis McGahee. I thought he was the next coming of Barry Sanders. My bad!

The first round pick that made me want to VOMIT is a three way tie between Donte Whitner, Aaron Maybin, & Erick Flowers. When we took them my first reaction was "WHAT?????"

On a side note, the first round pick that I really wanted to succeed was either Antowian Smith or JP Losman.

Wow, great topic! :thumbsup:

I was thinking OJ (joy) and Tom Ruud (puke) - but the more I thought about it, it may have actually happened in the same draft...

1983 - Tony Hunter (puke) and Jim Kelly (joy)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PusLUSZny!!!!! :beer:

Edited by The Senator

I was thrilled when we drafted Lee Evans. I had caught a few Wisconsin games that year including a game in which he caught 5 TD passes and had like 250 yards recieving (believe it was against Mich St) and really liked him before we drafted him.

The worst feeling I've had was when we traded up to draft JP Losman and when we drafted Whitner. The Losman pick didn't sit well with me only because of an interview I saw of him on NFL Network a few weeks before the draft (he seemed way too cocky and sounded like Mike Tyson...I know, my reasoning was awful) and really wanted Big Ben before the Squealers snapped him up (I didn't know he was a mega-douche yet).

The Whitner pick sickened me because I was absolutely certain we were going to take Haloti Ngata (who I was totally convinced was a stud...turned out to be true...one of the few times in life I was correct).

I keep seeing people mention Evans. I remember at the time liking the pick, but not loving it. I wanted Will Smith. Imagine a d-line with Smith, Sam Adams. Pat Williams and Schobel. Smmith recorded 7.5 sacks that season too, but Evans filled a need and we though Kelsay or Denney would have been better.

There's a lot of irony here. I was very excited when we drafted J.D. Williams (CB) back in 1990. Kind of a bust . . . He lasted a couple of years in Buffalo then went to the Cards. Was out of the league by '96.

When we drafted Henry Jones the following year, I was like "What the hull??", but he ended up being a decent safety, and he lasted 10 seasons with the Bills.

The last pick I can honestly was really really happy with was Ruben Brown. I was also happy with Jeff Burris as was a Notre Dame fan growing up. I've been miffed many atime Maybin and Spiller most recently as wanted Orakapo and Dez Bryant/Bryan Bulaga respectively. Granted I also wanted WR De'Wayne Bates instead of Antonie Winfield in 1999 too so I'm no expert.

the last time i got excited about a bills draft pick was when they got eric moulds.

as bad of a bust that maybin is i still think mike williams was worse.

But were you unhappy with the Williams choice on draft day? I wasn't - but I nearly puked when we took Maybin over Pettigrew and Oher, both of whom were huge positional needs at the time.